Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Using POR 15 on new paint job ??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Kravit
Regular

March 2005

icon5.gif  Using POR 15 on new paint job ?? Thu, 07 July 2005 09:53 Go to next message
Hey guys,

I was wondering how you go about using POR15 if you have rubbed your car back to bare metal in some areas, because i will need to spray more primer on the areas that are bare metal to get nice smooth surface again.

So i was wondering if its best to spary primer and build up nice even coat of primer then spray POR15 coat on top then primer again few times ?
  Send a private message to this user    
Andor
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: Using POR 15 on new paint job ?? Thu, 07 July 2005 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The POR15 documentation tells you everything you need to know. You can get it all from their website http://www.ppc.au.com/.

Essentially POR15 has to be in direct contact with the metal or it is usless.

I have no expirience with it myself yet but plan on using it. Hope I understood you correctly.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Using POR 15 on new paint job ?? Thu, 07 July 2005 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Put the POR15 on the bare metal itself. Then fill it to get to the right level, and sandwich the repairs in more POR15.
Kravit
Regular

March 2005

Re: Using POR 15 on new paint job ?? Thu, 07 July 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh i read that, just wondering if anyone else has used this
and how they go about using it best way to get best finish with final paint job.

So has to be to bare metal,so wont work at all painting over previous paint ?

Andor
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: Using POR 15 on new paint job ?? Thu, 07 July 2005 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

So has to be to bare metal,so wont work at all painting over previous paint ?

No.
Kravit
Regular

March 2005

Re: Using POR 15 on new paint job ?? Thu, 07 July 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, yeh i have about about 2 litres of it for my ae86, think should be enough ??

What this thing about painting it with brush and getting nice finish ? seems like get alot of brush strokes doing that.

So can you use it in normal spray gun ? any thinners anything can be added to it ?

[Updated on: Thu, 07 July 2005 10:27]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Using POR 15 on new paint job ?? Thu, 07 July 2005 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kravit wrote on Thu, 07 July 2005 18:22

ok, yeh i have about about 2 litres of it for my ae86, think should be enough ??

What this thing about painting it with brush and getting nice finish ? seems like get alot of brush strokes doing that.

So can you use it in normal spray gun ? any thinners anything can be added to it ?

Maybe, depending on how many coats you want. My car was stripped back to bare metal, had 3 coats on rust repairs, then two over whole car.

You can do the whole thing with a brush, but beware of dropping bristles, and you'll never get a brush clean enough to reuse, most of mine ended up like concrete. It will settle like it was sprayed, that is correct though.

I ended up spraying, I needed minimal thinners, and sometimes didn't use any at all. Thinners defeats the purpose of it not needing solvents to dry.
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Using POR 15 on new paint job ?? Thu, 07 July 2005 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you use thinners you will need to use the POR15 thinners to get best results. They are different from standard thinners.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 July 2005 12:12]

clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Using POR 15 on new paint job ?? Thu, 07 July 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get a camels hair brush if you want to brush it. POR flows quite well. If brushing for final finish, I'd thin to 5%. Spray 10-15%.

Just finish the entire car in it. It comes in black and white so it's all you need to panda.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Using POR 15 on new paint job ?? Thu, 07 July 2005 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You cant use POR15 rust preventive paint as a top cover.
It discolours after being exposed to sunlight.

Hence why POR15 also make other finishing paints designed to go over the top of the POR15 rust preventive paint.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 July 2005 14:15]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Using POR 15 on new paint job ?? Thu, 07 July 2005 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.W.P. wrote on Thu, 07 July 2005 22:14

You cant use POR15 rust preventive paint as a top cover.
It discolours after being exposed to sunlight.

Unless you're after a matt finish Laughing
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Using POR 15 on new paint job ?? Thu, 07 July 2005 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bear in mind that if you try to use it as an undercoat, you'll have a bugger of a job trying to get other paint to stick to it once it's cured.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Using POR 15 on new paint job ?? Thu, 07 July 2005 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben Wilson wrote on Fri, 08 July 2005 09:04

Bear in mind that if you try to use it as an undercoat, you'll have a bugger of a job trying to get other paint to stick to it once it's cured.

Exactly the reason why you use their primer.
Kravit
Regular

March 2005

Re: Using POR 15 on new paint job ?? Thu, 07 July 2005 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So normal Primer wont stick on top of this ??
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Using POR 15 on new paint job ?? Thu, 07 July 2005 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kravit wrote on Fri, 08 July 2005 09:19

So normal Primer wont stick on top of this ??

Not unless you lightly sand it.
Kravit
Regular

March 2005

Re: Using POR 15 on new paint job ?? Thu, 07 July 2005 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, POR 15® Rust Preventive Paint is compatible with all paints. Just be sure to follow the recoating directions.

How do I topcoat POR 15® Rust Preventive Paint? - the three options
1. Apply topcoat within 48 hours (12 hours for non POR 15® topcoats) of the last coat of POR 15® Rust Preventive Paint being touch dry.
2. Apply our Tie-Coat primer - at any stage from touch dry.
3. Allow surface to fully cure (96 hours) sand POR 15® Rust Preventive Paint - this is not an easy job, on such a tough surface.
We recommend option 1 or 2, as being the simplest and most cost effective.

Seems that i need to just apply my primer within 12 hours of the coat, so non por15 primers will stick within that time
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Using POR 15 on new paint job ?? Thu, 07 July 2005 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Thu, 07 July 2005 20:10

Kravit wrote on Thu, 07 July 2005 18:22

Maybe, depending on how many coats you want. My car was stripped back to bare metal, had 3 coats on rust repairs, then two over whole car.

You can do the whole thing with a brush, but beware of dropping bristles, and you'll never get a brush clean enough to reuse, most of mine ended up like concrete. It will settle like it was sprayed, that is correct though.

I ended up spraying, I needed minimal thinners, and sometimes didn't use any at all. Thinners defeats the purpose of it not needing solvents to dry.

Is POR 15 a moisture cure urethane? It sounds like it. If so it's probably not great as a topcoat since they tend to yellow on aging/exposure to ultraviolet light (aromatic urethanes will yellow much more than aliphatic ones). This would also be why you need a special primer or to give it a sand before overcoating - moisture cure urethanes tend to get give a hard, tight, chemically resistant film which makes it difficult for other paints to "key" into them and get adhesion. They can be excellent for rusty metal primers though as they penetrate into rusted areas and are attrated to the moisture rich areas. It's also why the brushes are a bastard to clean - even if you think you have all the paint off a bit remains and dries in the bristles, turning the brush into a hammer.

No paints really need solvents to dry, solvents are used to adjust viscosity of the paint which in turn helps get correct spray pattern and film build. Faster evaporating solvents will flash off much quicker than slow solvent which gets less sag but increase the chance of "dry spraying" the paint. Solvents can certainly slow the rate of drying for paints that dry simply via evaporation (eg acrylic laquers).

Good quality synthetic brushes are > all IMHO.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Using POR 15 on new paint job ?? Fri, 08 July 2005 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep cures by moisture. Hell of a tough coating, but can be a pain unless you take the easy route I took and Cool1 suggested, use POR15 "Tie-coat" primer.
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Using POR 15 on new paint job ?? Fri, 08 July 2005 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And don't get it on your hands, it doesn't come off again.....
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Using POR 15 on new paint job ?? Fri, 08 July 2005 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben Wilson wrote on Fri, 08 July 2005 09:58

And don't get it on your hands, it doesn't come off again.....

Sure it does, after you've suffered a week of explaining what that is on your hands and managed to remove enough skin to clean it off Razz
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Using POR 15 on new paint job ?? Fri, 08 July 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually, if you can get to it before it cures, Solvol will remove it.

Once it cures, like the sign on the can says, "only time will remove it"
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Using POR 15 on new paint job ?? Fri, 08 July 2005 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thinners will remove it before it dries too Razz
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Using POR 15 on new paint job ?? Fri, 08 July 2005 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Fri, 08 July 2005 12:15

Yup, acetone is quite good at this job.
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: Using POR 15 on new paint job ?? Fri, 08 July 2005 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Fri, 08 July 2005 12:45

Thinners is like duct tape, it can fix anything... Laughing
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Using POR 15 on new paint job ?? Fri, 08 July 2005 11:07 Go to previous message
Dale_ta22 wrote on Fri, 08 July 2005 16:07

Thinners is like duct tape, it can fix anything... Laughing

Unfortunately, let that POR15 dry, and it can't do shit.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:My Celsior - more hassles
Next Topic:Places to redrill holes in wheels in sydney
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 14:29:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064420700073242 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.