Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Members Rides » Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid ... (up for sale).

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon10.gif  Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Sun, 07 November 2004 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The ST205 AP Engineering ECU FINALLY arrived this morning. Rolling Thought I'd never get it. Eye Spin

The hand controller didn't arrive yet, but for now it's not that necessary. It's more for diagnostics purposes at this point after the ECU gets road-tuned. My Japan contact says he's waiting for A'PEXi to deliver the hand controller. Rolling Eyes

Now it's time to book it in for road-tuning via BEL's laptop... Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Mon, 08 November 2004 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, it's booked in at BEL for Thursday. Meanwhile I gotta find out how else to make this beast legal again. Need a shield for the pod filter as well as some silencers in the exhausts, not to mention a quieter muffler next to the hi-flow cat.
Tats
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Fri, 12 November 2004 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How did the road tune go? Getting better fuel economy yet? Razz I'm back from Mexico, so all we need is a date (and a hand controller, apparently) Very Happy
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Sat, 13 November 2004 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didn't get it road-tuned. Sad

Plugged up the Power FC to the loom and it wouldn't start, even though it works with the standard ECU. Apparently Ben from BEL thinks the ECU I have is running in "limp" mode (ie. running like a dog) until I can get the cluster of wires that's been left out of mine (but would be connected in a GT-Four) sorted out. I've contacted Mos about this, he said he'd look at it sometime next week.

According to BEL, every wire has to be connected up to the Power FC for it to be working and running, but Mos knows other ways around it (wiring guru). Very Happy We'll see what happens.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Sat, 13 November 2004 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tats wrote on Sat, 13 November 2004 09:10

How did the road tune go? Getting better fuel economy yet? Razz I'm back from Mexico, so all we need is a date (and a hand controller, apparently) Very Happy

Nah, we got the hand controller now - arrived on Friday, two days after the Power FC landed. Should have waited for it to be delivered in one hit, but I wasn't to know the Power FC was gonna fuck us up like it has (or should I say the wiring loom). Confused
SX_UL8R
Regular

October 2004
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Mon, 15 November 2004 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fuckin hell well i just wasted 1 1/2 reading this tread @ work.. Very Happy Very Happy great....

what can i say that this is a very individual car... your attention to detail on the motor is great... i feel you've given me the motivation to get off my arse to do my engine conversion. good luck in the future.. i will be reading the progress.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Mon, 15 November 2004 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for stopping by mate. A good way to kill time huh? Very Happy I'll get around to suss out the wiring against the pin-out diagrams I have of the 3S-GTE ECU. See what's supposed to be connected against what isn't connected/ Confused
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Mon, 22 November 2004 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looking at the back of the ECU and the pin-out's, the right connector has all of the TOP wires disconnected and taped up (asides the two end pins). Everything else looks to be connected up ok. I want to find out what exactly is hindering the Power FC from starting up the engine. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, the car is now street-legal; engineered and re-registered!! Laughing Finally got the last of the paperwork sorted out this morning and it's a good feeling to be driving a car that's legal again. Very Happy
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Thu, 25 November 2004 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Umm... I think you found your problem dude!
The top line on the right hand 22P connector is:
STA - AC1 - SP1 - ATS - X - X - W - STP - X - ELS - BATT

X - Not connected
STA - Starter
AC1 - A/C Amplifier
SP1 - Speed Sensor
ATS - A/C Amplifier
W - Warning Light
STP - Stop Light Switch
ELS - Tail Light Relay
BATT - Battery Razz

I would recommend you at least reconnected the starter and re-connect the warning light... you've probably been getting ECU errors a plenty and not knowing because this wasn't hooked up!

Hook up the warning light (or just put an LED test light on it) and connect pin E1 to pin TE1 on your ECU check connector (with a paperclip or similar).

Post up your error codes!

Go here for an explanation of the error codes and heaps of other useful info!
http://www.st205.net/
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Mon, 29 November 2004 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Thu, 25 November 2004 19:02

I would recommend you at least reconnected the starter and re-connect the warning light... you've probably been getting ECU errors a plenty and not knowing because this wasn't hooked up!

Hook up the warning light (or just put an LED test light on it) and connect pin E1 to pin TE1 on your ECU check connector (with a paperclip or similar).

Post up your error codes!

Go here for an explanation of the error codes and heaps of other useful info!
http://www.st205.net/

Toobs, when you say ECU errors, are you referring to the check engine light? When it first starts up, the check engine light comes on for a little while longer than usual, but doesn't stay on or flash error codes once the key is turned. I'm not too confident fiddling around with the standard ECU Eye Spin.... if I brought the car around to your joint, do you reckon we could diagnose if there are any errors?

Thanks for that info Toobs. Smile
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Mon, 29 November 2004 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Changed over the fuel pump on the weekend. Discarded the old 120L/h RAV4 pump and put in a brand-spanker 250L/h Walbro pump (thanks 1gt48u, it's beer o'clock when I meet you next!). Wink

Took a look inside my fuel tank after removing the pump and sender assembly, and it was clean as a whistle. So firstly we can rule out shit fuel or a dirty tank. Very Happy I was fascinated to see how the fuel tank is baffled - it's like one tank inside another with holes at the bottom to feed fuel from the outer tank inside. Smile Anyway, I had to change over one pump for another and presumably the filter as well, so I assembled everything as was directed by the instructions, until I found out that the GT4 pump firstly wasn't pumping fuel (after everything was put back together), and then after I took a look to see how to correct the problem, it wouldn't fit back into the tank! Shocked It was hitting the bottom of the tank and not making the top hatch close by about ¼". Confused Also because the pump wasn't pumping any fuel (the banjo bolt was dry after trying it out), I figured that the wiring might have been reversed polarity. Sleep By this time it was 1:00am on Sunday morning, decided to pack it up and try again later that day.

About 3:00pm, after sussing out the wiring and making sure polarities WERE correct, I went about trying to figure out why the pump/sender assembly wouldn't fit back into the tank. Eventually I figured out that the fuel filter that goes onto the base of the pump was hitting the bottom of the tank, so I removed it, compared it with the RAV4 filter, and sure enough the difference in height of the plastic mouldings that fit to the filter gause was about ¼". Rolling Eyes I removed the filter off the RAV4 pump, switched it over onto the GT4 pump and voila! It fit back into the tank with no worries. Very Happy

After Saturday's trial of the fuel pump, when it started up it made the secondary Bosch 500hp pump go silent, which told me either it's getting the right amount of fuel to finally shut it up, or it's not getting any fuel at all. Eventually the car ran out of fuel to the injectors and wouldn't kick over, which prompted me to think that the wiring was reversed. After I confirmed that it wasn't, I tried it again (Sunday afternoon) and it kicked over first go. I left it run for about 5 minutes to make sure it wasn't running out of fuel. However, the external Bosch pump is characteristically noisy. The flow of fuel from the primary pump (Walbro) to the secondary pump (Bosch) has noticeably improved, and now the car doesn't temporarily starve itself in certain situations anymore. It's still comparatively slow for what it is, but hopefully I'll get the ECU worked out soon enough.

Also before it was engineered, I felt a little more 'legal' about my car after putting on a Mönza pod shield, which BTW doesn't quite fit the filter! Laughing The pod filter is about an inch longer than the shield, but it got passed for engineering anyway. Razz

I'm so happy to get those mods out of the way. Very Happy

[Updated on: Mon, 29 November 2004 02:45]

Tats
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Thu, 09 December 2004 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BUMPage

What's the story with the ECU mate?
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Fri, 10 December 2004 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Tats,

Well now the Power FC does work after Mos done a bit of re-wiring for me. It's still not 100% yet, but it's better than what it was before. Also we sorted out the noise factor with the external pump. Now it runs almost silent (unless you know what to listen for), so I'm glad that is sorted. When we hooked up the Power FC before, the fuel pump came on for a second and then shut itself off. We figured that this was the Power FC doing it's biz with the fuel system by priming the pump before it starts. Wink

So a good deal of the wiring has been sorted out, but she still has some overheating issues which seem a bit sporadic, so I think the deal there could be sensor-related. Confused It's a bit of an unknown, that one.

Also what I'm planning on doing is getting either a Blitz or an APEX'i boost controller with a built-in MAP sensor. The factory unit is starting to play up on me and doing all manner of crazy things when the car starts up.

Bottom line Tats, I'll be lucky to get this bitch tuned by Christmas. Rolling Eyes
Tats
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Sat, 11 December 2004 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahhh bummer dude. I hope the fuel economy has recovered since the new ECU jumped on board? Last time I saw you, I could smell you coming before seeing or hearing you Wink
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Sat, 11 December 2004 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Hahaha....

Well since the re-wiring started, the fuel economy has improved a bit. The engine is no longer running as rich as it was before, nor is the fuel pump as noisy or the exhaust as loud. It's still not running on the Power FC, but the Power FC DOES work. I'm yet to get it tuned, hopefully soon.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Fri, 14 January 2005 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Updatage...

Fricken head's cracked. That's why there were slight bubbles in the cooling system showing themselves in the radiator and pushing the coolant out of the radiator and into the overflow bottle. Subsequently there was a loud gush of air when the radiator cap was popped off, and no coolant to be seen, only some sitting in the bottom tank. Rolling Eyes The car is now in pieces once again, and it's at BEL Garage for about another week or so until I can decide what to do about the head.

I spoke to Scott in Penrith (selling 3S-GTE parts) about getting his head, but it has no valve gear inside it, but I can get that swapped over if needed. Wink The bastard crack inside my head is in the #2 exhaust area, situated next to the valve guide. When this heats up, the crack expands and lets exhaust gases into the coolant and therefore pushes the coolant out from around the head and back into the radiator until it overflows and fills the reserve bottle. Strangely though, it doesn't seem to eat water through the head and cause steam to be emitted from the exhaust. Confused

The rest of the engine seems to be in good nick -- the block appears to be undamaged, the pistons are good, the valves are looking good too, even the head gasket was looking sweet. So it doesn't appear that the head was warped or anything, just a little tell-tale sign that water was getting into #2 exhaust, with the carbon build-up beginning to flake off the insides of the head in the exhaust port, where the other ports were not flaking and appear to be ok.

I don't know if this head is repairable or not, I'd like to just ditch this one and grab the other from Scott, change over the valve gear and shit and do whatever else is needed to get it up to spec. That way there's minimal stuffing-about time and it can be back on the road again hopefully by the end of the month.

That's all there is to tell for now... Sad
Tats
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Fri, 14 January 2005 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crying or Very Sad

Hope the recovery is speedy, I still can't wait to see this project finished....
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Sat, 15 January 2005 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got a good replacement head, and was very lucky to do so. Nod

Just need to get it cleaned up, switch over the valvetrains between the two (whoever wants the old head can use it as a good boat anchor), put in the new head gasket, assemble the whole shebang with a bit of brake fluid and a lot of coolant, and hopefully it will be ready to run again. Rolling Eyes

Keep that video camera warm Tats, it's coming soon (I hope). Smile
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Sat, 22 January 2005 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well it's all going back together again today, wish me luck on it. Wink Got the head back yesterday and it's time for reassembly.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Mon, 07 February 2005 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After another impromptu switching of heads, the engine is now back in the bay, reinstalled and just about ready to fire up. Also in the mix, 11" Repco fan with separate loom (no more burnt-out fan motors thanks to the factory connectors Rolling Eyes), NGK Iriway-8 plugs, new coolant all-round, Valvoline 10W/50 Synthetic oil and new Toyota filter, two 4-gauge grounding straps custom-made (body-to-alternator, gearbox-to-body) and I already have one 4-gauge earth from Battery negative-to-body. Water hoses have been trimmed up due to possibilities of kinking earlier, thus preventing decent water flow and attributing to overheating. Need a longer piece of silicone pipe from the turbo to the air intake pipe due to one of the water hoses being trimmed, it's now in the way and the air intake can be moved slightly. Chassis loom is still getting re-hooked in, but the engine is ready to kick over. Need to get the fuel pump kicking again, for some reason I have no power to it. Sad It's getting worked on again today, hopefully it will have fired up by the time I see it this afternoon.
Tats
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Sat, 19 February 2005 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Please please PLEASE tell me it works Sad
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Sat, 19 February 2005 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah ok, it works. Wink

But I still haven't trialled it with the Power FC yet, that's something I'll be doing a bit later after I'm certain the head repair has taken ok. I'll give it another week, see how it is. Smile

I spent over 3 hours on it Friday night, washing it, drying it, giving the K&N filter a go over, replaced the neon's fuse, scrubbed the wheels up nice, gave the cannon's the once-over, gave it a dose of Meguiar's Deep Crystal paint cleaner, and by that time it was past 1am (started before 10pm) and I couldn't be stuffed doing anymore to it. Sleep I take it out today and it rains... should have known. Rolling Eyes
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Tue, 08 March 2005 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got some more of the 'bling-factor' happening with some checkerplated floor mats sitting in the footwells. Wink Just need some velcro to make them sit properly now... I can always throw the standard floor mats over the checkerplate when I'm not showing it off. Might get some better pedals to compliment the mats if I see some good ones...
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: Andrew's 1999 Turbo RAV4 project... Fri, 18 March 2005 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just been looking back over all this, after seeing your ride in the flesh so to speak.
you have done well Andrew, it's looking real show quality.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 Turbo RAV4 project... Sat, 19 March 2005 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe, not yet it isn't. It's still not show quality enough for some, and it seems to be those that matter. Rolling Eyes Sometimes I ponder if modifying a RAV4 was a good idea... individuality comes at a price, and you know about that Ray. Wink

I'll be getting some interior work done (at the least) and maybe the bodykit before the next ToyotaFest, but I'm getting really tired of the old grey cladding on the outside though. Sleep I can't do anything with it, I try my hardest with a good dose of Armor-All and it's like it doesn't do shit for it. Confused Mad

Next task at hand is the tuning, which I believe has been booked at RUF Performance for the middle of next month. Evil or Very Mad Finally I'll see some decent results and KNOW what's going on with my ride on the rollers. Might save a bit on fuel too, it's running rich as a bitch right now. Razz
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Sat, 19 March 2005 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Update of pics

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/bigfella73/Misc/AndrewsRAV-GT4EngineBay-small.jpg
Thanks goes out to river for shooting this awesome pic of my engine bay at the inaugural ToyotaFest in October last year. Wink

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/bigfella73/IMGP0052.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/bigfella73/IMGP0053.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/bigfella73/IMGP0054.jpg
Shots from the recent Al Palmer's All-Toyota day '05... came up sparkling.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/bigfella73/IMGP0068.jpg
New checkerplate mats installed... they don't move around anymore, gave them a fixing of single-sided sticky-back velcro and it grips the carpet nicely. These came from my mate's RAV4 in Melbourne, specially made for the RAV4's footwells. I think it was a good exhange for my old leather handbrake boot. Nod

[Updated on: Sat, 19 March 2005 11:06]

4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Fri, 25 March 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heya andrew
heard from sticky latley ?
a little tip for the grey plastic
it's porus
otherwise use babyoil and massage several coats over a few weeks into it
btw do it in the shade and elave it there so its asorbed and not evaporated
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Mon, 28 March 2005 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it looking very nice man very nice....keep it up...also ways good to see toyota's going out to piss mitsushity off...i can see that rav 4 to be a RVR eater...please kill as many 4g63 as u can...between my mates there is so much word slinging about 3s-gte and 4g63's

Nezza Cool

[Updated on: Mon, 28 March 2005 16:02]

smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Tue, 29 March 2005 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey mate, finally saw the Beast on Sunday, all i can say is WOW, excelent job Very Happy , heres a pic of the Beast i took, Cheers, Stephen.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44/smt_007/Toymods%20Kiama%20Cruise%2027-3-05/ToymodsCruiseKiama018.jpg
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Thu, 31 March 2005 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sweeeet.... thanks heaps for putting that photo up dude. Was great to finally meet up with too Steven. Wink

I didn't know the Mitsu RVR used the 4G63 (Cordia) engine? Well regardless; 4G63(T), SR20DE(T), munch munch.... mmmmm, tasty! Very Happy

And news to hand......

Car is booked in to get tuned on Saturday April 16th. Tats be there at 8:30am with video camera on hand or be square dude! Razz
Tats
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... updated again. Fri, 01 April 2005 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awww man, 8:30? Does that mean I have to get out of bed? Shocked
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... updated again. Fri, 01 April 2005 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You damn right it does! If I have to haul my lazy arse out of bed (and so does the tuner dude Ben) then that means you too! Razz Very Happy
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... updated again. Fri, 01 April 2005 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://ira11y.qnix.com.au/Toymodsevents/KiamatoRobertson/Ultrarav.jpg
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... updated again. Sat, 02 April 2005 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you Sir! Very Happy
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... updated again. Fri, 08 April 2005 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/bigfella73/Misc/exhausted.jpg

Hmmm, my first attempt at photochopping. Razz How much stainless steel hardware can you fit under your ass?

Got rice? Wink Rolling Eyes
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... updated again. Fri, 08 April 2005 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh no, fark Andrew you have to be joking.
any way if it come to how much I could fit under my trucks ass I think I would win.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... updated again. Fri, 08 April 2005 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahaha, you're damn right you would Ray... a lot more space under your beasty to fit anything you like under there. Nod
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... updated again. Fri, 08 April 2005 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew.
just a quick question, I noted the small dent in your tailgate. When did that happen?
Tats
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... updated again. Sat, 09 April 2005 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My god, I just had a heart attack. I'm have a typical lazy Saturday morning, saw this thread and though "OMFG, I'm meant to be somewhere!".

Then I remembered it's next week, and calmed down Smile
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... updated again. Sun, 10 April 2005 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Last year - I had the entire rear end replaced courtesy of some dumb Honda Civic-driving bitch who couldn't see a car stopped in front of her. $3500+ in damamges, that'll hurt her insurance. Razz
Matt20v
Regular

September 2003

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... updated again. Sun, 10 April 2005 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Andrew your car is still looking very nice, i wish i got to see it alpamers, stupied work. Hope i get to see it in the flesh soon. Good job with everything hope you get it all sorted:) Soon.

Cheers matt.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... updated again. Sun, 10 April 2005 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah same here matey... stupid thing is starting to fray my nerves and shred my wallet. But how else would I occupy my time? Very Happy
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... updated again. Wed, 13 April 2005 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cordias dont use 4G63's, ppl often put them in in substitute of the std engine

dont knock RVR's my sister has a mid 13 sec one, her friend has a mid 11 sec one

ur car is cool too Razz
Tats
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... updated again. Thu, 14 April 2005 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Procuring video camera from g/f's parents today (hopefully, I can't see them needing it for the day). Can you please PM me the address of the workshop for Saturday? I reckon the Corolla will be doing laps of Ingleburn at 8:30am Confused
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... updated again. Thu, 14 April 2005 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Tats, it's...

RUF Performance
Unit 14, 79 Williamson Road,
INGLEBURN.

Williamson Rd I think is a fairly big road so I can't see you missing it. Razz If it's as big as what it looks like on the whereis.com.au map (using that address), it should be easy enough to spot. Nod
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... updated again. Thu, 14 April 2005 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's road-bound again, once more... got the diff mount repairs and rear end (floor support) reinforced so it won't budge under heavy load. I found it interesting that they also did another modified RAV4 there a few years back... the famed Ultimate Suspension RAV4 owned by Neal Daniel. He had a similar job done on his ride when he brought it to this workshop too. The guys there seem to be fairly genuine about their work ethic, and so far they've done a good job. Wink We'll see how good of a job when it gets the 'treatment' during tuning. Razz
Tats
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... updated again. Sat, 16 April 2005 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ULTRAV went for a dyno tune today!

After being turned away from the first two workshops, we finally made it to the 3rd one....
http://www.ibrendan.com/tats/ultrav/DSC03649.JPG

So we hit the rollers!
http://www.ibrendan.com/tats/ultrav/DSC03655.JPG
http://www.ibrendan.com/tats/ultrav/DSC03657.JPG
http://www.ibrendan.com/tats/ultrav/DSC03663.JPG

But the air fuel ratios were out the window and we were out of time, so no full power runs for ULTRAV Sad
http://www.ibrendan.com/tats/ultrav/DSC03673.JPG

While on the dyno....

Video of the exhaust sensor shooting out and attempting to kill Tats (1.5mb, WMV format)

Video of one of the "cruise" runs (6.2mb, WMV format)

Look closely at the end of the second video, this bitch was running RICH! The fumes were almost overcoming! Shocked
Tats
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... updated again. Mon, 18 April 2005 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All photos (not many) are here....

http://www.ibrendan.com/tats/ultrav/
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... updated again. Tue, 19 April 2005 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for adding those up Tats, good pics of the day. Nod
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... updated again. Mon, 09 May 2005 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At least it's driving well and has been road-tuned. Some more interior mods coming soon....
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... updated again. Mon, 09 May 2005 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's lookin good Andrew.
The photos I took of it the other night without the flash did'nt turn out.I tried to show your undercar lights but they where all to dark to see them.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... updated again. Tue, 10 May 2005 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's ok mate, they're not the brightest or most camera-friendly of undercar neons. Hell they're not even design to go undercar - they're interior neons! Surprised
Tats
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... updated again. Mon, 23 May 2005 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just chucked my photos into a gallery for some easier viewing....

http://www.ibrendan.com/tats/gallery/ultrav_dyno_a pr_2005

What's the go with tuning now? Saving for a proper one?
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... updated again. Mon, 23 May 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ummm, yeah... sort of. I had to abandon saving this time round due to my front brakes almost giving way on me mid last week. I had to use an extra bit of pedal force to make them work effectively. Replaced them with QFM semi-metallic's (thick buggers too, about 12mm of pad). The pads were wearing properly and evenly, which is a good thing. I had about 2-3mm left on them, which for me is a bit low. Rolling Eyes Disc surface appears to be hardly worn.

Also I had insurance to take care of, which left a large dent in savings. Confused

Got some new pedals and windscreen wiper refills while I was in maintenence mode. Smile Don't know when I'm going to have the cash for the proper tune, but I'm hoping it's soon because every time I give it some, I leave whatever's behind me in a big cloud of black stuff. Still running rich? You betcha. Embarassed
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... updated again. Fri, 03 June 2005 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got the wheels rotated and re-balanced recently, so no more steering wheel wobble at 90km/h. Feels a lot more stable too. Can't wait to get it on the dyno. Wink
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... updated again. Wed, 06 July 2005 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It sat well on the rollers last Sunday (DD-11), and tore up a tidy 140.1kw at all wheels, and survived the experience... it came out of the dyno room as it went in, which surprised me a bit. Confused It smoked up the dyno area with a thick layer of fuel/oil mix, as I expected. Rolling Eyes Even with the A'PEXi in there, it's still rich as a bitch.

Calculated *roughly*, with about 40% drivetrain loss, it's put out about 200kw at the flywheel, which equates ~15hp better than the stock 255hp. It screamed it's way up to 7250RPM at just over 79% injector duty, where the extra fuel pump, fuel pressure reg and 540cc stock GT-Four injectors came in handy. Wink
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... updated again. Fri, 08 July 2005 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most stock ST205's only put down about 105kW at all four so you've improved on standard a bit more than you think.
You've gotta wind the boost up on that thing some day... you might be surprised.

PS Get Dave to tune it for you.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... updated again. Fri, 08 July 2005 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate I would wind up the boost more, if the compression ratio weren't so damned high! A bit more had been taken off the head than just the usual "clean-up" job when it was at Superflo Heads (never again...) and instead of the usual 8.5:1 ratio, it's closer to about 10:1. Confused I'm thinking of getting N/A cams so it can get more air into it... help even-out the combustion without making it ping. You're right Toobs, it needs to be tuned by Dave. Wink
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... updated again. Fri, 08 July 2005 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
10:1?
How did you come to this figure?
If 10:1 is right they would have had to shave a full 2mm off the head / block maybe more if you used a thicker gasket!
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... updated again. Fri, 08 July 2005 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
If you saw the original bolthole castings in the side of the head (like for manifolds) and where the head has been shaved, you'd know what I mean. A lot more has been shaved off than necessary. Rolling Eyes I'm still using the SW20 MLS Toyota gasket.
Pages (8): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:tims ae 92 sx
Next Topic:My '91 "Baby" Camtegra
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 16:56:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01078200340271 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.