Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Using a GM Delco ECU? as afm ECU..opinions pls Fri, 08 July 2005 09:12 Go to next message
Checking out Aftermarket computer solutions I remebered hearing that the old Delco ECU's (ie JE/JF Camira,etc) can be a great deal of tuneability in them.

So much so that a fair few big project have been run using these ECU's. Availability of sensors and parts seems to be plentiful through a fair few cars using these stock over the years.

I've even read about a 1uzfe being run by one...a member on here i think?

Now I plan on converting the 18RGU to EFI and then later a turbo build.

Would this ECU be suitable as long as I can find a tuner? Ive seen non EFI examples with the same thing done (albeit diff motor) and there are map sensors upto 3bar (30psi) suitable and the ECU has the relevant variables for this sort of tune and setup.

Opinions / Experience appreciated ..Cheers

Nathan
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Using a GM Delco ECU? as afm ECU..opinions pls Fri, 08 July 2005 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, it's a possibility, just remember a few things:

*The old 808 (i.e. Camira, VN, etc.) ones have limited resolution, so won't work well with big (i.e. 850cc) injectors. I don't imagine this should be an issue for you.

*If you follow instructions, join Kalmaker (and other) forums, and don't mind making bits/adapters etc. yourself (not too hard) you can save some $ and make the Delco a cost effective solution

*Take some pics etc. and show us how it goes

Good luck!

Michael
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Using a GM Delco ECU? as afm ECU..opinions pls Fri, 08 July 2005 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, and if you end up getting stuck, I think I've still got a couple of Camira ECU's lying around, as well as dizzy's etc. Should be able to grab something locally pretty cheap though.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Using a GM Delco ECU? as afm ECU..opinions pls Fri, 08 July 2005 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You should pay less than $100 for a complete Camira EFI system.

However tuning is VERY costly in my experience.

Usually about triple what a normal ecu is to tune, and you can't tune it yourself without spending $1100 on Kalmaker ecu.
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Using a GM Delco ECU? as afm ECU..opinions pls Fri, 08 July 2005 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah ive read up on the kalmaker edition etc.

from what i found tho all thatwas needed to read the EPROM was
a EPROM scanner / writer. Just like a floppy drive (but hooks thru parallel port) and lets you read the ECU settings.

$100 to do that .... erase it then write new settings.

But the Kalmaker kits have live display and all that .... i think thats what your paying for with them.

ok then what else tha could be considered a 'budget' option could help in a efi conversion.... with turbo later on?

not talking 300kw daemon.. im only looking for 150 atw .... any more i'd start with a new motor.

Cheers

Nathan
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Using a GM Delco ECU? as afm ECU..opinions pls Fri, 08 July 2005 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can burn the EPROM's n shit, but you still have to tune it.

If you want a cheap way to 150rwkw, then maybe adapt another 4cyl turbo ecu to the car, say a 3TGTEU, and use a SAFC or some other piggyback to tweek it.

Personally I wouldn't do an NA-T style conversion without a full programmable ecu. Which is $1500ish incl tuning.

But its your call.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Using a GM Delco ECU? as afm ECU..opinions pls Fri, 08 July 2005 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another option might be to steal everything from, say, a CA18DET (injectors, air flow meter, ignition system, all sensors, etc.), hook that up, and use something like a Jaycar DFA to tweak it slightly, or better yet, pull the EPROM and remap it.

Do some looking around, and see if you can find someone in your area that does Delco tuning - you need to ask them what they'll charge (probably an hourly rate), and how long it's likely to take to map it for you. Remember that it's not going to happen in 15 minutes, but that the Delco doesn't have very large tables either - although it does have quite a few extra little functions that can be turned on and off. All comes down to the experience of the operator.
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Using a GM Delco ECU? as afm ECU..opinions pls Sat, 09 July 2005 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah its starting to not look like the cheaper alternative that i thought it may be.

but i like the whole making a 3tgte ecu do the job...but then i may as well just get afm.

Tahnks all

Nathan
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Using a GM Delco ECU? as afm ECU..opinions pls Sat, 09 July 2005 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thought of MegaSquirt?
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Using a GM Delco ECU? as afm ECU..opinions pls Sat, 09 July 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes and no.

yes but its the whole finding a tuner delema taht has me.

I in no way would know what i was doing.

wire it all in ... no prob

tune it up ... big prob. for me at least

any workshops play with these?

Cheers

Nathan
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: Using a GM Delco ECU? as afm ECU..opinions pls Sat, 09 July 2005 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.adaptronic.com.au

Speak to Andy about a Conversion... (No matter what e-mail you email on the site, Andy is the one who replies)
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Using a GM Delco ECU? as afm ECU..opinions pls Sun, 10 July 2005 04:06 Go to previous message
for the price of a microtech these days, i wouldnt even bother with the "adapting" solutions....
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:engine mounts for a 4age in a ke30 corolla??
Next Topic:MS55 Crown Vented Disks??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 20 05:33:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005033016204834 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.