Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 6 day 20v conversion! yay!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
COROLA
Occasional Poster

February 2004

icon1.gif  6 day 20v conversion! yay! Fri, 08 July 2005 15:30 Go to next message
well... i make a post now, as i am quite happy with the success of my recent 4age20v swap.

from monday the 27th of June HyDrA and myself have been working on changing my ae92 from the silly old carby 4a-fc to a brand (sorta) new 4age 20v.

About three weeks before, i had purchased the 20v half cut from Exclusive Jap dismantlers (Dundee Road Holden Hill, Dave is a legend, doesn't know much about toyotas, but he's got a few good parts! Razz) ; Manual, timing belt changed at 78750 (no idea whats on it now, as the cluster was already gone... probably cos it had a nine on the gauge!) the motor seemed in good condition, a few rusty bits, as it had been sitting around in both japan and Adelaide. But from what i could tell ok.

Was only $2200 for the full cut. I explained that i wanted the p.steering rack and lots of other bits, so they let me take the whole thing... had i not said that, they were going to give me just motor box and loom... lucky they didn't, as most things were needed off the cut. Ohh, and the brakes.

So the cut sat in our garage for about three weeks, during that time hydra and i purchased an engine crane and other necessary tools for extracting said engine and set about removing it from the cut. We aimed at doing it by removing the chassis from the cross member, releasing the two side mounts, and lifting the cut over the engine, worked well... got it all out ok, and removed all things we would need, such as mounts, covers, afm, fuze boxes, and chucked a lot of the useless crap (washer bottle, dash top, etc etc). We then had engine, hubs and shafts on the cross member and suspension arms... worked well, as we lifted the cut off clear and then removed all other items, such as p.steer, brake booster, clutch lines, charcoal canister, blah blah. As we repositioned it all tho, one of the strut towers fell over and pulled one of the gearbox rose joints out... lots of messy brown grease Sad but went back in with a snap and we tied it all together with some rope.

Once i managed to organize a week of work, we set a date and an objective. On monday, i drove the 4afc in the garage, and by friday, i was to drive it back out again... that NEARLY happened (only missed it by one day!). So monday was removal day. we stripped all the front off and got down to work... by the time HyDrA had to leave for work, we had chained the engine up, released all the mounts, and we're about to thread it out from under the passenger side! (ps, if u dont know, on a 92, the gb is UNDER the passenger wheel arch, so u have to remove or replace anything in on a huge angle... to get it anywhere!!!) So half an our after he went off to work, i had the engine swinging free, (not after finding something scray!: has anyone heard of a 5th engine mount??? i only found it by trying to jack up the engine, and nearly lifting the car off've the jack stands... silly idiots put one directly under the block on the crossmember! *sigh*) shafts having been pulled out, i moved the engine away and lowered it on a tire. Did the ceremonious "in engine bay" pose, and went about removing old steering rack and the rest of the suspension componenets. I was to use the ae101 brakes, hubs, cvs, and shafts. We argued over how we were to insert the 20v into the ae92, and preferably, we wanted to put it in, the same way we took it out... but having the full weight of the car to lift, and no hoist, we had to remove 20v from crossmember and put it IN, in the conventional manner. After clearing everything away, i got to taking the gb off the 20v to replace the clutch, that what my other best mate bought. that went in no dramas, but as i torqued up the pressure plate bolts, i managed to sheer one off :S. so one was stolen from the 4afc! Razz once all was on, i went to bed.. happy with my efforts on day one.

day two was just as successful. by the end of the morning, gb was back on the 20v, bay was prepared, including putting in p.steering rack. mounts we're thought about, and having used nearly ALL the 20v mounts, it was man handled into a position that it could be inserted, and of course, then HyDrA had to leave for work! As my dad arrived, not very mechanically gifted, but handy on the engine crane! After maneuvering it past the passenger side arch... she fell in nicely. seemed to line up nicely on the two side mounts, but the rear mount was in a bitch of a position and wouldnt sit properly. After much b.f.i. (for those who dont know: b.f.i = Brute force and ignorance!) she DID go on properly... the rubber mount had rotated in the bracket, stopping it from sitting in. bolts were tightened, timing cover mount was attached, gb mount was on, bolt needed a bit of persuasion, but went in with a jack under the gb. Once all was level, front mount went in piss easy. and i let the chain off, chassis leveled and i was happy. Dad gave me a high five, and asked for a drink. I agreed it was break time and retired to the lounge. A while later i went bak to the garage thinking to sort out the hub replacements... and found problem one. Problem one was... ae101 hubs dont sit on ae92 suspension arms... the ball joint bolts aren't aligned. I swore at it, and decided to tackle it in the morning.

Day three was the LEAST productive, but engine swaps will be engine swaps! Started the morning by looking at the hubs again. Decided best idea was to take the ball joints out of the ae92 hubs and put them into the ae101's. Easy fix... only, ball joints were a BITCH to remove. I managed to get the pin out, bolt off and joint out of one ae92 hub, with a big hammer and a pry-bar. But getting the ae101 joints out were going to be three times as hard. They were pretty much rusted in. pins broke when u tired to remove them, and bolts would not move, and being wedged in between the bottom of the hub and the cv, we couldn't get a socket or even a ring spanner onto them. Try as we might with shifters, open enders and nut-fuckers... no success, until we took out the metal chisel and basically cut the bolt off. As we already had enough bolts to get the ae92 hubs in working order we destroyed the others! Razz so once the bolts were off, and we had used a ball joint puller to knock the joints out... all was better.. ae92 joints went onto ae101 hubs, and everything was peachy. But by then it was the end of day three! grrr

Thursday i HAD planned to have it at least CLOSE to running... but this was way off now. I finally got the hubs onto the suspension arms... and bolted it all up to check fit. was a-ok. put second side on... and after struggling to get the damn rose joint on for about an hour, i bolted up the steering arms, and realized that ae101s have a wider track than ae92s as i had about 10o of toe in!!!! ohh well, at least they were on.. i adjusted the tire-rod ends laters so i could at least drive it straight. during that day HyDrA started to work on most of the electrics, while i finished off most of the other mechanical stuff. Remounting the p.steering pump and pulley, the tensioner, plumbing up vacuum lines, connecting connectors, finalising positions of hoses and clamps etc etc. And also installing, wiring and plumbing the fuel system. (in bay surge tank, efi pump, lift pump, filter and hoses, as i dont have an intank pump due to it being a carby donk). HyDrA had connected ecu, given it power, run cables through to get power to all other car ancillaries, he had already worked out what the ecu needed to run, and started to get there. By the end of the day, i was at the stage i wanted to be one day earlier! Razz

Day five. it rained, and i think overnight it did too, making the whole place a bit soggy. Was a day working on final touches. HyDrA worked on the power to engine, hunting down the started solenoid wire, finding it didnt match up to what he thought and then made a new setup up to run it on the key. Mixed success throughout the day. Things were getting closer for sure, but no major success or problems on this day. Did however find that ae92 accelerator cables are too long in the sheath (that sounds bad) bit not long enough in the cable end. It was holding on about 10% throttle when connected, and did a lap around the engine bay before connecting to 4throttles. So swapped the 20v one in! much better. and the pedal isnt as noisy! (old one squeaked)

Saturday. Day 6. Was going to be at AAA exhausts by friday. But i played is safe and made a booking for Monday morning. We oiled and primed the engine for the first test fire, and with no plugs in, we gave it her first crank. starter whirred and cams spun effortlessly. She was showing signs! i finished adjusting home-job-wheel-alignment, put the new brake rotors on (VENTILATEDS! i was so excited) pads into calipers and bolted calipers on. Wheels went on. HyDrA said, ok im ready to crank it now. Afm went on, plugs went in and leads on. Gave her a kick... and it fired and idled first time. farking loud barking out of the "dump pipe" (headers back to cat flange) but she was alive. Dropped it off've the jack stands and backed her out. First chance to check the clutch. Needed a bit more adjustment but was easily fixed. It idled well... but didnt seem to want to rev well. I put it down to not having a full exhaust on it, not supplying any backpressure. Thought this would be ok once it got the whole system on it. But was VERY happy that it was drivable. Parked it outside the garage and put all the front back on; lights, grille, spoiler, and finally bonnet. VERY happy with our progress we retired.

Sunday was just putting everything back together... i was to take it to AAA exhausts monday morning, so i put all the dash back in.

Monday got up nice and early... mate brought the car trailer over, but spoiler wouldnt get up the ramps, so it came off again temporarily. AAA did an awesome job. powder-coated black, solid welds and did exactly as i asked and what they said they would do. Definite champs. And twice as fast as exhaust technology. dont get me wrong, Markie Mark is a great dude, but by gosh they take their sweet time (while i had mine done at AAA, mate has his ute's zorst modifyed and it took twice as long as mine to do half the work) So after collecting it, i sped it up to the shop to get it aligned. But i wasnt happy with the power. And i wasnt happy with the volume of the system either. Seemed to be running SUPER rich. It wouldnt rev still, had patches of no power, and was very unpredictable. Throttle was heavy, and i seemed to have it burried 3/4 when i was just keeping it at 60km/hr in 4th!!! Something wasn't right. And it used 20L doing 50km.

I drove it to work Tuesday... but wasn't happy. had Wednesday to Friday off so decided to sort it out. HyDrA and i speculated on what it was. Could have been a vacuum leak somewhere, could have been not correctly connected electrics, could have been anything or something not getting power.

Wednesday we played with error codes, it gave us 31 over and over again... Vacuum sensor. :S silvertops dont have vacuum sensors... they have AFMs. After HyDrA checked all the connectivity of the afm wires, he could one wasn't anywhere near correct.. had some other yellow wire and a splade connector and other rubbish on it, twas really weird. So after reconnecting that, and the check engine light going off once it started, i backed it out for yet another trial and error test run, and it out of the box spun the wheels... i thought that was a bit oddd... got halfway down the street and realized output had nearly doubled!!! was happy... drove it back... Wasnt running rich, and seemed to even idle closer to 1000rpm! But after a few more test runs, it seemed to miss fire halfway up the rev range... didnt have full power in first, had what felt like fuel cut, or like a lean out at about 4000. was running definitely better... but not perfect.

This went on for a while... i thought it was fueling, thinking the efi pump kept running dry under full load... but the pump was rated to run top fuel v8's... and there was about a litre and a half in the surge... unlikely... but felt like a deffinately lean out... couldn't have that. Tried every combination of feed, return, surge lines... running it all back the fuel tank, running it ONLY bak to the surge.. no combination seemed to affect it well. Sad

Friday I put my mind to fixing it... it seemed to get better as u revved it out... idling it in traffic sometimes totally killed it... it would happily idle at the lights, but as soon as i got into the intersection, and needed fuel pressure, it would cark it. Especially going up hills, or turning right. Wasn't happy :S I took it up to the hills to test it... kept playing with each combination and location and orientation of surge and pumps... listened carefully to them, tried to speak to them, offerd them cups of tea... nothing helped. I finally decided to get serious... tried my BEST to stand the surge upright (there's no room in this bay!!!) and align the pumps with their destinations... and doing to, i shunted around the afm and filter, AND the ignitor coil lead. (it was running UNDER the AFM and to the coil) As soon as i ran it over the top of the AFM, where there is a clip supplied for it... PROBLEM DISAPPEARED!! took a second to get the surge full, but once it did, didnt have any issues... id say the lead was earthing on the chassis under full load... sounds unheard of, but seemed to be my only explanation.

As soon as i had that sorted... she revved out nice and smoothly to 7500 every shift... easy power and comes on stronger as it climbs through the numbers!! Also visited AAA again that day, had a longer resonator put in, takes a lot of the volume out and quietens the rasp.

And thats it till now... 6 days from running to running... and still tuning it up... but quite happy with our efforts.... what do u lot think? Smile

Cheers all.

- Chris (and of course HyDrA)
  Send a private message to this user    
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 6 day 20v conversion! yay! Fri, 08 July 2005 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh biatch.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 6 day 20v conversion! yay! Fri, 08 July 2005 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't want to read it all, but I assume good things have been said!
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 6 day 20v conversion! yay! Fri, 08 July 2005 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did u get a book deal for that, goddamn

sadly, i DID read it

sounds like it was fun
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 6 day 20v conversion! yay! Sat, 09 July 2005 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And whats best is we didn't take any pics Sad
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 6 day 20v conversion! yay! Sat, 09 July 2005 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can I phone someone so they can read it to me?
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: 6 day 20v conversion! yay! Sat, 09 July 2005 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh sadly i read it all to but thats sounds great! Awsome write up but no pictures? whats going on

Keep up the good work
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 6 day 20v conversion! yay! Sat, 09 July 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jesus youll need to pay toymods to host that book Razz

HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 6 day 20v conversion! yay! Sat, 09 July 2005 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Sat, 09 July 2005 14:21

Can I phone someone so they can read it to me?

There is a 1300 number you can dial... you can choose from a whole range of sexy female voices!
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: 6 day 20v conversion! yay! Sat, 09 July 2005 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why's it only rev to 7500? forget to connect the speed sensor input?
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 6 day 20v conversion! yay! Sun, 10 July 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pretty much... until he buys some form of adaptor
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 6 day 20v conversion! yay! Sun, 10 July 2005 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hope this helps with getting your speed sensor done.

http://www.twincam.org/forums/index.php?showtopic= 397&hl=speed+sensor
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: 6 day 20v conversion! yay! Sun, 10 July 2005 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great story man Smile well done on the conversion.

I would have thought the fuel system modifications would have been the most difficult.
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 6 day 20v conversion! yay! Sun, 10 July 2005 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fuel system on my 4agze was quite straight forward... get a friend to do the hard work of changing the carby tank to an EFI version, which cost $60 with in-tank pump and the rear loom secion from plug to pump...

Then I swapped in an AE92 EFI main line with the correct fittings on each end and used the old Carby feed line as the EFI return line... which required me to get a longer fuel return hose...

Cost was $60 for tank plus $20 for line, plus $25 for EFI hosing.

I did however use the entire loom from the frontcut in my car... saving any worrying about wiring being wrong... just a simply matter of repinning and extending the cluster plugs, hazard/demistor/rear wiper switches... oh and repinning the rear loom plug from my car to suit the levin loom.
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 6 day 20v conversion! yay! Sun, 10 July 2005 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
... Double post../

[Updated on: Sun, 10 July 2005 14:11]

Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 6 day 20v conversion! yay! Sun, 10 July 2005 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fuck i read the whole thing, and yeh sounds like a lottta work, but well worth it, well done mate Smile
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 6 day 20v conversion! yay! Sat, 16 July 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got bored:

http://www.users.on.net/hydra/vvtYO.jpg
urban_myth
Regular

December 2004
Re: 6 day 20v conversion! yay! Sun, 17 July 2005 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha, tahts gold
jaderd
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 6 day 20v conversion! yay! Mon, 18 July 2005 12:09 Go to previous message
Guessing you did well in english at school, decent read sounds like a fair bit of effort, rewards sound sweet though
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1GGTE wiring diagrams, and other bits
Next Topic:Help: AE71 Corolla Rear Drum Keeps bursting.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 23:27:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.11419010162354 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.