Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » can i use a fuel pressure sender with oil?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
can i use a fuel pressure sender with oil? Thu, 07 July 2005 03:01 Go to next message
i have remoted mounted an oil pressure sender, but its a pain because the oil presure sender would earth through the block.

so can i use a fuel pressure sender in its place, because they already have an earth and signal terminal, saving me the hassle of soldering a earth wire on.

Cheers,
Chris
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: can i use a fuel pressure sender with oil? Thu, 07 July 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not so much pain.. is there any way you can tap a thread for a small screw for an earth terminal (assuming this is remote filter setup)

i looked into this a while ago.. the FPS should be ok as far as chemicals go, but it may not survive the pressure, depending on design... oil pressure, particularly when cold, can be pretty high, and normally what? 40-60psi? ideally the oil pumps internal pressure relief would limit cold pressure to it's setr pressure, but not always...

it could work.. it should work... but i haven't tried myself. (actually i was looking to go the other way.. use a VDO oil sender for fuel... in the end i decided it wasn't worth having a possible leak point)

oh, and VDO have oil pressure senders with seperate earth terminal... and ones with pressure, oil light, and earth terminals...

Cya, Stewart
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: can i use a fuel pressure sender with oil? Thu, 07 July 2005 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no its not a remote filter setup.
i thought the pressure should be fine, if the senders are both 100psi it would be ok, wouldnt it?

would a vdo sender use the same signal as a wogometer sender?

thanks stewart Very Happy
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: can i use a fuel pressure sender with oil? Thu, 07 July 2005 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't really imagine the sensor (I presume you mean one for a gauge, not a light?) should have any issues earthing to the engine block so long as everything is clean... but if it does, why can't you scratch a small part of the side of it clean, and solder a wire to it?
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: can i use a fuel pressure sender with oil? Thu, 07 July 2005 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As i see it the problem isnt that the sender isnt earthing to the block, but rather that the sender is remote from the block due to the remote filter setup.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: can i use a fuel pressure sender with oil? Thu, 07 July 2005 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes takai got it, the problem is that the sender is not screwed into the block, so will not be earthed.

so to save me the hassle of soldering a new earth lead on, i want to use a sender with an earth terminal already on it (a fuel pressure sender).
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: can i use a fuel pressure sender with oil? Thu, 07 July 2005 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
STR8 2.8 wrote on Thu, 07 July 2005 14:09

no its not a remote filter setup.

so it's a remote cooler setup and pressure sender is in the lines?? how is it set up? why does the sender not have a connection the the block or body of the car?
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: can i use a fuel pressure sender with oil? Thu, 07 July 2005 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing

there is no remote filter, no oil cooler.

it is simply a sender on the end of a hose that screws into where the sender was.

the sender is currently mounted in a bracket on the firewall so could be grounded through that, the bracket however is just something dodgy i knocked up and does not fit too well. since the sender is boned, i figured id kill two birds with one stone and fix the earthing problem as well.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 July 2005 09:51]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: can i use a fuel pressure sender with oil? Thu, 07 July 2005 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing sorry, i have post delay...

surely you can get wogometer senders with an earth terminal?
failign that, check the resistance range of the gauge.. VDO are typically... i forget... 20-120ohms??
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: can i use a fuel pressure sender with oil? Thu, 07 July 2005 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive looked but cant seem to find autometer oil pressure senders with an earth terminal...
even the instruction manual says to attach a new earth wire to the sender body.

oh well ill see how it goes with a fuel pressure sender...
thanks again stewart
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: can i use a fuel pressure sender with oil? Thu, 07 July 2005 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is the oil pressure sender screwed into a fitting on the hose? If so then just get an O wire clamp big enough to fit the pressure sender thread through and just place it between the two pieces of metal, then just run a wire with another O wire clamp to the block... voila grounded.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: can i use a fuel pressure sender with oil? Fri, 08 July 2005 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought about this, but the fitting on the hose doesn't tighten down close enough to put a quickcrimp in there, i guess i could space it out with a washer, but then the hose might not tighten enough.

the sender needs to be replaced anyway, so ill just get a fuel one and see how it goes.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: can i use a fuel pressure sender with oil? Sat, 09 July 2005 00:27 Go to previous message
when i remote mounted my oil pressure sender, i just stripped back a wire and wrapped it around the sender then lockwired it then earthed it to the block. it was supposed to be temporary but its still there a year later Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:blown SC12 clutch , cheap alternative...
Next Topic:20v cutting harness
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 05:41:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045790672302246 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.