Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Members Rides » Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Sat, 21 May 2005 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

boofis: thanks for the kind words, as for my modified mounts that work like traction brackets I don't have any better pictures than what I have posted but they are pretty simple to understand. Basicly I have chopped the bottom mounts of another diff that was identical and welded them on the bottom of my existing ones. What this does is make the lower trailing arms bolt lower down on the diff housing. This compensates for the fact the car has been lowered and instead of the bar being on an angle it's instead relatively level like an original unlowered and unsagged sprinter (try finding one of those!). I might try something with the top mount soon.

This could be a stupid question but...Could the same result be achieved by adjustable arms?
  Send a private message to this user    
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Sat, 21 May 2005 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, and no. The same idea can be achieved with adjustable top arms in order to make the diff upright again. However this doesnt correct the pinion angle which the diff moves through when the suspension is moving.

So yes, you can get the pinion angle correct with adjustable arms, but it wont be the same as stock either way. Neither way is wrong, and infact im planning to go adjustable top arms AND a traction bracket type setup. Hopefully this should give me the adjustability required.
LeZZa
Regular

September 2004
Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Mon, 30 May 2005 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam, top work!!! Keep it up!
With your exhaust, why did you choose not to go under the diff? I can imagine it makes it pretty close to the ground, but I know that most Japanese exhaust systems for the 86 are straight under.
I'd like to get a welder to be able to do more mods to my own cars, is it worth the extra to get mig? Is this the type you use most often? thanks.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Wed, 01 June 2005 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks LeZZa, I didn't go for an under diff system at first because I didn't even know it was possible but on the second time round I had a few reasons, first up it doesn't have a real world flow advantage when mandrel bends are used, I assume really short stroke shockers are needed or the diff supported when the car is lifted, I would hit stuff, not legal I assume, would make the rear muffler sit way too low and on an angle. Basicly I have a very low compramise way of doing things usually. In other words I thought that for the little advantages of that setup I would have to compramise so much. I don't know why anyone would want such a setup even with a 3 inch system.

As for the welder I think only a mig or tig is regually usefull on a car. I would recomened a gassed mig for people who are serious about working on a car. While I dont have experience with a gass-less everyone I know who has used one hates it. I use a very neglected three phase mig.
LeZZa
Regular

September 2004
Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Thu, 02 June 2005 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks.
Keep the updates coming, it's interesting to see what mods you do (and how!). Too bad the rear brake conversions is so hard though...
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Thu, 02 June 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah I try and show as much as I can so other people can learn, I would rather help people than keep secrets, even if it does show I am bit rough with my work sometimes.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Tue, 14 June 2005 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well today I finished off my rear brace, heres how it looks:

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/interior/rearbrace3.jpg

much unlike some rice up products out there this is actually meant to do something by using the top seat latch support mounts. I like to have rear passengers sometimes so at no point did I want to lose the use of my seats. So I made it so a thick plate would be jammed between the latch and the car body. I also didnt want to trim off too much of my interior trim to make room for this thing, I had to be light, small, neat and easy removed.

I used some light gauge Cro-Mo pipe which I think is a far superior material for braces than aluminium, but that's my opinion. I bought this from the helpfull trike building guys at Greenspeed in ferntree gully ( www.greenspeed.com.au ), no Cro-Mo is cheap and this peice was about $25 worth.

I started by cutting the plate out and I also modifed the seat latches a little to suit. I then very carefully measured how close I could go with the bar to the seat. I knew that the closer it would be the better.

I intitually made the pipe to the exact size and I proceded to tack weld it on. To my horror I found that there was no way this was going to slide into position even if I took the trim off. So I had no choice but to shorten it and use a shim. I did this and cut a peice of 5mm thick PTFE (Teflon) impregnated plastic to suit. I finished my welding and then slid the bar in followed by jamming in my plastic spacer. I also found some longer toyota bolts and used them instead. Finishing it up I painted it and put on a sticker that came with my shockers.

Heres the passenger side mount:

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/interior/rearbrace1.jpg

and the driver side with the spacer for fitment, also of note is that that black line on the plastic is a texta mark:

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/interior/rearbrace2.jpg

Testing this I found that the seat hits the bar but still latches in, the release mechinism also has more restriction in use but still no big deal. So I think I managed to get the distance right on.

Also of note that this thing weighs roughly a quarter of a kilo and it was able to support my whole body weight when it was supported by just the ends and thats when it was just resting on something not actually bolted up.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2005 15:03]

monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Tue, 14 June 2005 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That is a great solution while keeping the rear seats!

Why do you consider chromoly superior to aluminium for braces?

[Updated on: Tue, 14 June 2005 12:29]

Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Tue, 14 June 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
very nice mate....exact same approach as mine...but with far better welding... Rolling Eyes i still suck Wink

Im considering welding another 2 bits of pipe to mine to add bracing against the body underneath.... in a V shape...i have seen braces for ae86's from japan that incorporate this and i think it will help to further strengthen the rear end and stop the twisting....what do you think?

Adam
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Tue, 14 June 2005 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

monkeymajik: I go off personal experince here, the most common alloys of aluminium seem to be of a significantly lower rigidity than of 4130 cro-mo, and it seems people use thicker aluminium to make up for it. I know I might get flamed for this but I think companies use aluminium is because it's easier for them to work with and it's heaps cheaper. When i put my body weight on this thing it barely flexed, and its under 2mm thick, it might be 1.0 I cant remember. Try that with aluminium of even triple the thickness and see what happens. I plan to make an awesome front brace when I have my new engine in. It will be super light and almost indestructable.

Bobski: I am not too sure my welding is better!! I really need to service my welder, it needs a new tip, liner, ceramic insulator, shroud and base incert. Oh yeah and I am kinda crap sometimes! As for the V-shape it sounds ok but I would have to have a look what it can bolt to in there. I am very wary of those japenese products because some are just so damn stupid, if they sell they make them no matter how dumb the product is. Thats not to say that what your talking about is but I will have to look at my car better to find out. Got a pic of one of these?

Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Tue, 14 June 2005 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry no pics....there is a place it bolts onto underneath....its like a subframe or something...but even so ...placebo efect does wonders Smile

Adam
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Sun, 19 June 2005 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I made myself up a nice splash gaurd yesterday:

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/frontplate.jpg

I had a sheet of fiberglass left over from my failed parcel shelf glass job #3, anyhow by memory its 5 layers thick, so it can flex a little it's pretty tough. I layed on the ground marking it out a peice at a time with my marker and cut it with tin snips initially then a bench sheet cutter. After painstakingly getting the right size I used the 3 existing holes in the bottom lip of the bumper to bolt it down. I placed my fiberglass peice ontop of that lip and also used washers to secure it. Then in the middle I used the two mounting points the original engine plate used. On the bolts that used these I fitted an oversized washer and then places 3 lock nuts on it that wernt wound all the way down, that way the washer can still move but the bolt can be done right up because it hits the top lock nut, so the nuts act as a spacer to stop it getting pulled in too far. I am not sure how much this will do but I like doing this stuff as I know every little thing helps and it cost me nothing, a bit tedious though. As a bonus it looks profesional which is a bit of a suprise.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2005 15:07]

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Sun, 19 June 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also on the same day I did a dummy fit of where I want to place my air filter, although I am undecided now for water reasons, see my forum thread on it here:

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=72367&start=0&rid=4385&S=573a8e831e0 e3a17dd875dd70a214606

anyhow heres a dummy run with it in place in roughly the right spot:

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/engine/filter1.jpg

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/engine/filter2.jpg

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2005 15:11]

Leighp
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Tue, 21 June 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FREE BUMP, that looks so wicked
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Wed, 22 June 2005 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did a quick drawing for an idea I had on a set of extractors. Seeing I am so desperate for that extra length on the primaries I came with this breifly:

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/engine/pipeidea.jpg

I would if I did this use every last bit of engine space I have, and I would flare it out to go close to the strut tower and strut brace. Basicly my aim would be the max length using every last bit of room I have, I think I would have to run some pretty elaborate heat sheilds too to protect everything. I know I wouldn't get it but I would want 1.2M of length in my primaries alone and still be a 4-2-1 system. But for now it's just an idea I am playing around with in my head, it would be interesting to try it though I think.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2005 15:15]

Matt20v
Regular

September 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Sat, 25 June 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude that is soooo cool what you doing man I can’t believe how much stuff you are just customizing...You’re like an inspiration to us all Smile

Cheers man

And the 20v are a fun engine to drive Smile
And you will have like 10 times more fun since RWD
Very Happy
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Sat, 25 June 2005 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks man, on the way is some interesting stuff like my fully handmade cro-mo 3 way strut brace, I was planning on doing that much later but I might start sooner depending on how much time I muster up. Once the main stuff is out of the way I get to move onto the interesting things. I have since come up with a different extractor design thats even wilder than my drawing and I checked and it looks like I can do it in the space i have, it will look very different though...
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Mon, 27 June 2005 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with a second 20V in my hands in a few days I am making plans for it. I will put in the engine I have now and in the meantime it looks like I am going to do some work on this one. Here's some of the ideas I have thought of:

head:

- Ported (mainly intake)

- Match ported intake manifold

- Combustion chamber de-shrouded a little.

- Metal head gasket

Bottom end:

- Some 20V pistons I bought with only 40K on them balanced by myself

- Cro-Mo rings

- Con-rods linished and balanced by myself and shot peened by a friend

- ARP Con-rod bolts

- New bearings shells for Con-rods and main bearings

- New main bearings

- New main oil seals

- Lightened flywheel by myself and maybe shot-peened by a friend

- Fully balanced internals

- Block honed if needed

I want to be able to rev it to 9 all the time and not have a problem, apparently this lets me do this. I am unsure of a few things yet but I will ask people next time, I am out of time once again.

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Tue, 28 June 2005 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have some things I am unsure about right now that I am hoping people on here might be able to answer:

- Bottom end parts: I have been told the majority of the bottom end even the rings are the same as a 7-rib 16V 4age, is this true?

- if so what car came out with this version, a 1990 corolla twinky ae-92?

- Cro-Mo rings: who sells them? ACL?

- ARP bits: who sells them?

- VPW automotive store: anyone ever dealt with them?

- Are main bearing cap bits worth the trouble?

- what will I be bale to rev this thing to?

tips from anyone would be well received

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Tue, 28 June 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I made some more collectors on the weekend:

2 of (1.5 pipes into a 1.75)

1 of (1.75 pipes into a 2.25)

as usual they are made to a high standard (AKA bloody time consuming and tedious!!) and I am happy with them, my welding is a bit rough though, my welder is in desperate need of a service. I need one of every expendable part, my ceramic nossle insulator is literally in 2 peices jammed together.

enough talk heres some pics:

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/exhaust/collector3.jpg

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/exhaust/collector4.jpg

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2005 15:18]

ke30king
Forums Junkie

On Probation

March 2005
Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Tue, 28 June 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
far out sam some of the things you have made are prety amazing keep us posted on what you are doing.

cheers, lloyd
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Tue, 28 June 2005 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks man, my engine conversion is coming up sooner as my fuel pump mounting, ems install and fuel tank mods, as usual it will all be shown in detail for others to learn.

P.S: Go the beasty old Corolla!!
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Mon, 04 July 2005 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I finished the main part of my rear water re-routing plate:

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/cooling/waterplate.jpg

The taped hole is for one of the two sensors the engine needs, I think I will fit the other one to the top outlet pipe of the engine instead.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2005 15:20]

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Sat, 09 July 2005 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is the rear water bypass plate with a test fit, fits perfect, yeah!

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/cooling/rearplate3.jpg

also I finished the basic machining of my con-rods on my second engine:

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/engine/rods.jpg

I will have to buy some scales and wait till my ARP bolts and ACL bearings come in before I continue. In the meantime I will probably give the rods a bit more of a sand down to make them smoother.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2005 15:27]

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Sat, 09 July 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Another side pic of the engine:

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/engine/side1.jpg
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Sat, 09 July 2005 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is my experimental trumpet setup that I am playing with:

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/engine/trumpets2.jpg

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/engine/trumpets1.jpg

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/engine/trumpets4.jpg

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/engine/trumpets3.jpg

I will have to finish it off once the enigne is in so I know exactly how much room I have to play with. Looks like it might come a bit close to my braking system but I will do what I can.
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Sat, 09 July 2005 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey sam looks like its coming along really really well. it looks like im not going to be needing the RWD water piping kit off u anymore becuase the engine i have sourced utilises the same system as your doing with yours, where did u open up the outlet on the head?
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Sat, 09 July 2005 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah no problem mate, as for the outlet I assume you mean the pipe that comes off for the top radiator hose, I will take a decent picture of that soon, I need to modify that more to accept a temp sensor.
nightdevil
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Sun, 10 July 2005 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very impressive

I like the idea of u designing your own trumpets. As always this thread is a very knowledgable and interesting read. Keep it up
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Tue, 12 July 2005 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea thats what im talking about. my plate has got both sensors on it i dont know if thats a bad thing???

what are you going to be doing about your dizzy? mine is basically the same as yours at the moment, can i remove it completely to minimise clearance issues casue ill be using a crank angle sensor.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Tue, 12 July 2005 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

nightdevil: thanks, the thing I love about this is that it cost me under $30 for all of them. They are temporary though, I have something interesting in mind for later on.

domasik: I think your talking about the rear bypass/seal plate, having both sensors on it is very normal. As for my dizzy I am keeping the base there because it has the crank angle sensor inside. It is fine like that though, there's no clearence issues with a standard setup, so it's best to just let it be.
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Tue, 12 July 2005 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey man
Your work is amazing. Got a question regarding your extractors.
What are you using? (Just exhaust pipe?)
Are you extending length to get power in lower rev range?
What size pipe are you using and how are you finding it? Have a good one!
Thanks
Troy
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Wed, 13 July 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The piping I used is 309 grade stainless, or atleast I think it is... the main supplier I have for this is Fast-fit mornington who are a great bunch of guys for real world answers. They however didn't have 1 3/4 pipe so I went to george archer metals in Dandenong, who were very cheap indeed.

The primaries on my extractors are 1.5 inch (38mm) O.D and temporarily the secondaries are 2 inch. These will be changed to 1 3/4 soon enough.

The reason I am lengthening to gain power in the top end, I would like to gain power down low but I don't have enough room available under the car to pull that off. Normally I would lose top end and gain low down power by lengthening my extractors however mine are way too short. I have been told the length I suits a harmonic resonance at 10,000 revs and a secondary resonance at 5000. So I really need the extra length to brind the tuned revs down further. Because I need such an obsessive amount of room to do it I will have to compramise. I will try hard to tune it for 6000rpm though and have a secondary resonance at 3000.

EDIT: if your question on how I am finding it is in how it feels I wouldn't have a clue, I am still running a single cam! so far the main engine stuff I have made are so impressive looking parts and that's it.

[Updated on: Wed, 13 July 2005 02:51]

Fujiwara_ToFu
Regular

March 2004

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Wed, 20 July 2005 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice Sam,

It's been awhile since i last saw u, but it indeed does look like ur 20v is coming well.
I'll see u in the holidays, keep up the good work.

-Jay
ae86 Drifter
Regular

January 2004
Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Tue, 26 July 2005 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dizzy still remains there even with vrank angle senser.sam that airbox is gonna be a tight fit.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Tue, 26 July 2005 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah your right the base has to stay, but there's more than enough room for it though. And yes your also very right about the airbox, I initually didn't plan to make the trumpets that long and I sure as hell hope I don't have to chop them shorter. The very limited space is made even worse by the fact that I am going to have a master cylender that is larger physically near the top, this might be bad.... Oh well I am not too concerned this is afterall only a temporary setup.
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Sat, 30 July 2005 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey man.
Just wondering if you've seen this set of extractors/this page? Might be helpful/give you some ideas.
Have a good one.
Thanks
Troy

[Updated on: Tue, 30 August 2005 21:44]

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Mon, 01 August 2005 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hadn't seen this on Bills site before, thanks for the tip . As usual Bill has some greta info and it backs up what I have previously discovered. His tip on putting a muffler the exact position of tuning is very interesting. I think it causes a secondary harmonic resonace for a 4-1 system which is very clever indeed.

Right now it looks like I might be adding a short race flow stainless Lukey muffler under the middle if I can make it fit, I don't know yet. basicly what I plan to do is to fit a muffler and flex section as far up as I can and then make the extractors join into one just before it. I sure hope this thing won't be too noisy, this car is intended to be a nice daily driver with some power and ecomomy, not some drifto stripped out loud stiff rattly car.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Mon, 01 August 2005 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
another quick update:

- I ordered these:

* my TRD gasket from greenline
* a new timing belt for the 20V, it's the same as a Lada Samara (thanks to Bill Sherwood for that info)

- I also finally found aplce that can get me Cro-Mo steel pipe for a reasonable price. They are called aircraft metals in Tullermarine in Vic. They also have some Titanium plate that I am interested in...

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Mon, 15 August 2005 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I worked on some more of my RWD conversion bits today:

I used this little jigger that was the to bypass pipe off a 4Ac which was chopped and welded to a section that grooves cut into it:

http://www.sam.theicy.net/auto/cooling/bypasspipe.jpg

which I then glued into this 4Ac water pump housing:

http://www.sam.theicy.net/auto/cooling/pump2.jpg

apparently epoxy resin likes to get a bit soft after 100 degrees so I plan to drive this for a while and then try and reef this out with some pliers, that will tell me for sure.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Mon, 15 August 2005 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I finished my fuel pump mount for my car, I used a short length of cro-mo hollow square section for the main support, some stainless leftovers from my exhaust for the pump holder and some extra brackets off the side. It uses the two support bolts of the petrol tank and clears everything (I think!). I had to make it two peices because if it wasn't it would mean tottaly taking the supports off the fuel tank to fit it, which would mean someone holding it up. Instead of this I made it so firstly one side bolts in then the other and the two bolt together at one of the ends. This means it's quite easy to fit. I will also fit some soft rubber between the fuel pump and the clamp to shut the thing up. I allowed for this in the design of it. It is also held in a position where the lines should run without any trouble and out of the way of everything.

Well enough talk here's some pics:

http://www.sam.theicy.net/auto/pumpmount1.jpg

http://www.sam.theicy.net/auto/pumpmount2.jpg

http://www.sam.theicy.net/auto/pumpmount3.jpg

I know this is an overkill but I like to do things right, I am sure this thing will never cause me any greif and it's easy to fit and remove, it should work great.
DRFT - 86
Regular

February 2005
Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Fri, 19 August 2005 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate just wana give u tha big ups for ur thread...
This has to be one of the best threads on toymods, lots of very intelligent and informative info.... much apprciated by myself and others...
I love all the custom work you have done too, very well done, seems like ur always thinking....(a bit like me,Im always thinking of different/alternative/better ways to approach things.)
anyways champ....
keep the goodness up.... Wink
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Fri, 19 August 2005 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whoa.. thanks man that would have to be the best compliment I have received so far. I am planning on keeping this up for a long time yet too. I don't go out of my way to think different I just have a natural arrogance about my standards of design being better than off the shelf things and I naturaly think independantly. If I had more time and resources then I would come up with some real crazy stuff.

As for your question I paid between $40 and $50 for the radiator and an extra $20 for each of the thermofans. I have since taken one off and sold it to a friend.
fester
Regular

December 2004
Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Tue, 30 August 2005 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting to see you still going Sam, I haven't followed your thread for a while now. I've decided against putting the 20v in my midget now as I don't really want to cut/weld any of the body. Thanks for you help with the RWD set up anyway.

I've got my hands (today) on a factory turbo A series motor from an MG Metro Turbo. Basically like an 80's Laser with a turbo'd mini motor and box. It's front wheel drive therefore but I will use all the turbo stuff except block and crank and put it into my RWD block. They used a blow through SU with a little T2 turbo by the looks and by all accounts a fairly successful blow through set up . They run around 7-10 psi and 9.4:1 compression from the factory. Should get such a little car going pretty well still and not really ruin the originality of it either.

I've got a damaged aluminium radiator from a 100 series cruiser that I will cut down to fit the engine bay and mount it angled drift style that should allow me to get a factory top mount intercooler in front of it but front mount style and very stealth.

I will keep watching your progress with interest however as I may keep the 20v and put it into my Morris Minor. There's nothing to cut out in those and not so worried about originally. Might still throw the Corolla box behind the Midget motor though.

Gavin

Gavin
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Tue, 30 August 2005 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as usual your projects are interesting Gavin. I have been quiet for a little while sorting out the smaller items such as fuel lines and water pipes, but soon I hope to do my engine conversion. Then I will have massive updates at a time. Also coming up shortly is my exhaust which is almost done.
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Sat, 03 September 2005 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ey Sam, really good stuff here, after having another read through there was even alot that I wasn't even aware of. Love the descriptions and the way you keep everything explained well, wish I would go to that effort on my site... Can't wait to finally see the finished exhaust that you've slaved over for so long Smile

Kev.
Acoustic
Regular

November 2003
Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Mon, 05 September 2005 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Sam

f_king good job man ................ Salutee ........

everything is niceeeeeeeeeee Smile
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Thu, 15 September 2005 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks guys,

heres another peice finished:

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/cooling/pipe3.jpg

This ones off a 4Ac for my custom cooling system, and has been modified to clear the knock sensor and also the throttle brace. I made up another brace for it so it doesn't put undue stress on the 2 studs that hold it on on the rear thermostat housing. it has also been painted in Satin black which is what many components will be.
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Thu, 15 September 2005 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks so damn OEM!! Good job man!

Kev.
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Wed, 21 September 2005 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump, got any updates for us man? Love this thread!
Thanks
Troy
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Wed, 21 September 2005 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah Boofis I have been real busy. I just haven't done many posts because I left my camera at my G/F's house and haven't retreived it yet. I have so far:

- Finally finished my handmade top water pipe, I now modified it to accept both sensors, ie: dash temp and ECU sensor.

- Took my engine and trans out

- Split and labeled the body loom (just a few wires)

- bolted all my RWD water conversion pipes on my 20V, it looks great!

- Swapped my standard Sprinter 13/16 both master brake cylender for a Landcruiser 15/16 item. I need to source a brake bias valve from somewhere before I make the custom lines to suit.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Wed, 21 September 2005 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another thing I have been doing is rebuilding my second 20V, I have so far taken almost all of it apart and I am sorting things out now. I also fitted my ARP main bearing cap kit and it fits really nice. More to come once I find someone who can do some machining for me in Vic, anyone know someone?

Heres my specs I at this stage am aiming to get or have already:

HEAD:

- Matchported intake and exhaust manifolds
- Ported intake and exhaust ports

ROTATING ASSEMBLY:

- All components fully ballanced
- Con-rods linished, crack tested, shot peened and with ARP rod-bolts and ACL bearings

OTHER:

- Main bearing cap bolts replaced with an ARP main stud kit
- TRD 0.8mm high compression metal head gasket
- Knife edged throttle butterflies

EXTRACTOR DIMENTIONS:

- 1000mm long primaries
- 500mm long secondaries

INTAKE:

- approx 200mm long inlet path with full bellmouth trumpets
- 2+ liters volume intake airbox volume

MANAGEMENT:

- Wolf 3d ECU
- 2 x M&W twin channel ignition modules
- 4 x hyundai coils

[Updated on: Wed, 21 September 2005 08:40]

boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Wed, 21 September 2005 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mmmmm, new brake master Cool
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Wed, 21 September 2005 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah I added the brake master because my pedal was dropping down too far because of the upgraded front. Funny enough the landcruiser one is a better fit than the original! I waited till my engine was out so it would make it easy for me. I will also modify the brake proportioning valve to make it better suited to the disk rear end.
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Wed, 21 September 2005 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So what have you set your extractors to make your power come in? 10,000 Razz
Thanks
Troy
toyoda
Regular

November 2003
Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Thu, 22 September 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey sam, phrosty said u have a spare 4agze block ??

would u be intrested in selling ?
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Thu, 22 September 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boofis: I hope for it to be tuned for a primary resonance right on 7500 revs, give or take a little. The pipes are right now 50cm and they at that length are tuned for 10,000, thats why I very reluctantly will be giving them the chop.

toyoda: I have a 4agze engine yes, I am going to sell it off with the following specs:

- smallport low km 4agze
- turbo manifold
- RWD small port NA maniold
- Boost gauge
- Massive intercooler

so yeah after a turbo kit?
toyoda
Regular

November 2003
Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Thu, 22 September 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea that is pretty much what i am after.

add me to msn, double_2002@hotmail.com so we can talk $$
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Sun, 25 September 2005 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm nice work as always Sam...just a couple questions..

what model landcruiser did the brake master come off?

also how did you modify the proportioning valve?

keep up the good work mate

Adam
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion Mon, 26 September 2005 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
I demand pics... tonight!! Smile
Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Lexus IS200 (250?)
Next Topic:MY NEW 101 LEVIN
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:28:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0094668865203857 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.