Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » note to all ma61 owners considering rear speaker upgrades

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

note to all ma61 owners considering rear speaker upgrades Sat, 09 July 2005 04:28 Go to next message
I just found out the hard way - although fitting in bigger speakers is easy, getting the back seats to lock into position with said big speakers there is next to impossible. so before you go out spending hundreds of dollars on rear speakers, consider how little room there is to play with back there, and you won't end up crying like me.
  Send a private message to this user    
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: note to all ma61 owners considering rear speaker upgrades Sat, 09 July 2005 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
muhhaha

i got some 5x7's in the factory location with some creative bracketeering.

You can't go any bigger than that.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: note to all ma61 owners considering rear speaker upgrades Sat, 09 July 2005 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Been there done that Very Happy
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/CelicaSupra/Speaker1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/CelicaSupra/Mounts.jpg
Cheers
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: note to all ma61 owners considering rear speaker upgrades Sat, 09 July 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have 6" rounds, and it is not going to be fun trying to get them to fit Sad
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: note to all ma61 owners considering rear speaker upgrades Sat, 09 July 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Sat, 09 July 2005 16:47

I have 6" rounds, and it is not going to be fun trying to get them to fit Sad

they wont
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: note to all ma61 owners considering rear speaker upgrades Sat, 09 July 2005 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shush Sad

they sound so much better than any of the over-round speakers the shop had
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: note to all ma61 owners considering rear speaker upgrades Sat, 09 July 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got my 6x9's in.
Had to fab up brackets, and the seats only just fit in... but they do fit.
customSA63
Regular

February 2005
    NA
Re: note to all ma61 owners considering rear speaker upgrades Sat, 09 July 2005 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
time to learn from the pro boys. Laughing Laughing
i do car audio installs and in my 84 celica i got JBL to seld me some factory size 4x6's that cost me $110 and nothing sounds any better then those things with my 10 inch sub, clarity a plus+++++++.
so look them up they fit perfectly and cant even tell they are there from looking at the speaker holding.
if you are in adeliade i can show you where to get them and have a listen to my car to prove how nice they sound.

cheers
matt
Very Happy
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: note to all ma61 owners considering rear speaker upgrades Sat, 09 July 2005 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can get them from doran. if you dare go into that store... haha

[Updated on: Sat, 09 July 2005 10:56]

ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: note to all ma61 owners considering rear speaker upgrades Sat, 09 July 2005 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joorsh wrote on Sat, 09 July 2005 17:00

I got my 6x9's in.
Had to fab up brackets, and the seats only just fit in... but they do fit.

Show us a pic Smile
But any good quality speaker like JBL, Pioneer and Boston Acoustics would make any car sound good Wink

[Updated on: Sat, 09 July 2005 11:01]

customSA63
Regular

February 2005
    NA
Re: note to all ma61 owners considering rear speaker upgrades Sat, 09 July 2005 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill take a pic tomorrow when there is some light lol.
but yeah i wouldnt go with pioneer well at least stuff that is below $200 from them because they have become real slack with there build quality for their lower range products.
EG: i had a friend come to me with a full pioneer kit he paid $1099 from tonkins i had to replace the front and rear speakers and we put a kicker sub in because the sub shorted and all the speakers just gave up within a week of eachother oh i put in alpine 2 way 6" speakers in the back and Cadence 4" 2 ways in the front and now his 1990 lancer is the bomb Laughing Laughing Laughing .
but if anyone in adelaide wants a stereo that goes really hard for under the insurance limit $500 mark then let me know.
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: note to all ma61 owners considering rear speaker upgrades Sat, 09 July 2005 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://members.iinet.net.au/~josh_and_sarah/My_Cars/Supra/AMO/Speakers001.jpg

http://members.iinet.net.au/~josh_and_sarah/My_Cars/Supra/AMO/Speakers002.jpg

As you can see, Rockford 6x9's fit... but it's cosy.
And took me most of one day to fab up the brackets.
customSA63
Regular

February 2005
    NA
Re: note to all ma61 owners considering rear speaker upgrades Sat, 09 July 2005 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but the good thing about mine is that you cant even tell that they are there so your not going to attract dick heads attention with these nice speakers sitting next to the window and you dont have to sit there for the day modyfing brackets to get them in straight bolt in Smile and sound just as nice as rockfords.

cheers
matt
Smile
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: note to all ma61 owners considering rear speaker upgrades Sat, 09 July 2005 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I never park any of my cars out of eyesite from habit.

And she spends every night locked, alarmed, behind 2 double-locked doors in a garage... with a dog. Mechanic puppeh is actually getting to a threatening size now too Very Happy

I have a nice boring Barina for a shopping trolley when I need it, so I don't mind my car looking good.

As for sound quality, that's all purely personal so there's not much point discussing it. All I can say is that I spent several days doing nothing but listening to different speaker setups, and every set of 4x6's that I listened to lacked punch in the midrange... including JBL's. And medium-low frequency was a total non-event. The sub will carry the low range definitely, but when you're going from a 4x6 to a sub, you'll have a bit of a gap there in the mid-low range, and I clearly heard that when I was testing. There was pretty much no difference between the 6x9's & the straight 6 inch speakers, but as soon as you dropped down to a 5 or 4 inch speaker, you straight away heard some of the mid-low range drop off... and this was with a sub running constantly throughout the testing.
Draven will back me up on this too - he was with me for one of the days I was testing speakers at lifestyle. Between 6's & 6x9's there was pretty much no difference, but as soon as you went smaller than a 6 you could hear it drop off.

[Updated on: Sat, 09 July 2005 11:36]

negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: note to all ma61 owners considering rear speaker upgrades Sat, 09 July 2005 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think im going to have to go to my local JBL shop and get me some of these speakers your talking about. I was going to make my own parcel shelf and mount 6*9's in that but if these bolt straight in, that saves me all the trouble!
customSA63
Regular

February 2005
    NA
Re: note to all ma61 owners considering rear speaker upgrades Sat, 09 July 2005 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so in other words it is alot easier just to get the JBL's lol.
but yeah if you go to your JBL dealer they should have them i got last years model so they may have an updated model but i think the will be the same.
when i take some pics tomorrow i will write down the model name for you aswell.
but put it like this my fuse for the sub went once and it took me about 5 mins to realise thats how nice they sound.

cheers
matt
Smile
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: note to all ma61 owners considering rear speaker upgrades Sat, 09 July 2005 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers mate, that'll help with the model name Smile
customSA63
Regular

February 2005
    NA
Re: note to all ma61 owners considering rear speaker upgrades Sat, 09 July 2005 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont know how they would lack mid range becasue that is what they are made for and of course the split is for trebble but i think the mid is there as i hear the lyrics quite clearly on hip hop songs lol Laughing you must have been listning to cheap ones because mine sound perfect but if you wanna start talking good speakers my fronts are 6 inch splits from kenwood that cost about $389 and i dont think personally they are as good as the JBL when i pump up a really good song take josh abrahams original addicted to bass what is a classic for crusin with lol.
that sounds better in the back then in the front.
and all 6 speakers are running of my mosfet kenwood 200watt head unit the KDC2023.
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: note to all ma61 owners considering rear speaker upgrades Sat, 09 July 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So what you're saying is you can't hear the difference between a a good set of 4x6's and a good set of 6x9's?

Cause if that's true then you need to get your ears checked Razz
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: note to all ma61 owners considering rear speaker upgrades Sat, 09 July 2005 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rear speakers in a car are fairly pointless; rear fill only IMO. How often do you have rear passenegrs and need them to hear music?

Don't do what the previous owner of my car did and hack up the sheetmetal to mount 6x9s. I wouldn't bother. Just get some decent front speakers. Another point is that there are arguments against oval speakers in general, but I won't get into that Razz
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: note to all ma61 owners considering rear speaker upgrades Sat, 09 July 2005 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd agree with that. If you want the purest sound, oval is not the way to go.

Then again, the car is hardly the ideal listening environment either; search for the perfect sound, then surround it with glass, add obstacles, and put a constant 60dB drone over everything Smile
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: note to all ma61 owners considering rear speaker upgrades Sat, 09 July 2005 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't forget to get a massive fan and run that at full ball also Wink
Spence
Regular

January 2005
Re: note to all ma61 owners considering rear speaker upgrades Sun, 10 July 2005 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey
those jbl's do they distort when you max the deck out? i'm looking for something in the rear as background but good enough that they wont distort at high volume. oh and they must be clear too. that'll complete my system.
Spence
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: note to all ma61 owners considering rear speaker upgrades Sun, 10 July 2005 05:35 Go to previous message
make a rear parcel shelf like mine and you can even have a sub then Smile If someoen hosts pics for me i will take some for people. My shelf houses a pair of JBL 6x9s and a 12" enclosed sub
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:quick q. - w58 into ae86, which crossmember?
Next Topic:engine mounts for a 4age in a ke30 corolla??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 17 00:48:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055539608001709 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.