Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » New here, Dont know what type motoer I have, But would like some home conversions - giddy up

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
boodgie
Newcomer

July 2005
New here, Dont know what type motoer I have, But would like some home conversions - giddy up Fri, 08 July 2005 11:49 Go to next message
Hi guys,

I am new here and have only just bought my self an ae92 1990 corolla. I have no idea what the motor is so if I could explain it a little and get an answer as to what it is that would be great.

16 valve 4a 3a/t and above the motor on the firewall is a plaque saying sr twin cam.

what is this and is it any good to do a bit to?

thats all I can say about it.

Now I know this is not a great motor, certainly aint got no giddy up but I wonder if there is any cheap mods that I could do myself to get a little bit more push from the motor, and get her to sound a little better than she does, and also when I get a bit of money together maybe things like extractors, and exhaust. I won't be swaping over the engine as that is completely out of my price range and I am not too fussed about being able to push 145, I would just like a bit more oomph for what I have now.

Your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks Guys.
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: New here, Dont know what type motoer I have, But would like some home conversions - giddy up Fri, 08 July 2005 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like you have a 4AF with the 3 speed auto. The excitement will kill you! It WILL do 145 though, that's about where they top out at (I've tried.)

About the best thing you can do is bin the 4AF and the auto (or, sell them to someone who needs them!) and grab a 4AG - but you knew I was going to say that, yeah?

As for sounding good, well, 4AF will never achieve that, and in my opinion a 4AG won't unless it's got a turbo, or had some decent N/A work done on it.

Look around, you might be able to get a 4AG fairly cheaply, and people practically give away the FWD gearboxes.
boodgie
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: New here, Dont know what type motoer I have, But would like some home conversions - giddy up Fri, 08 July 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What is N/A and how much roughly does a 4ag cost.

Like I said a new motor is out of the question as I have limited amount of funds, I really just want to get a little more push.

And yes I did know you would say new motor
WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: New here, Dont know what type motoer I have, But would like some home conversions - giddy up Sat, 09 July 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin wrote on Fri, 08 July 2005 22:39

The excitement will kill you! It WILL do 145 though, that's about where they top out at (I've tried.)

ive had mine up around the 150 mark but that was on a slight decline
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: New here, Dont know what type motoer I have, But would like some home conversions - giddy up Sat, 09 July 2005 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First thing... ditch the auto and get a manual box + everything that goes along with it.

That 4a-fc is poo! Razz
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: New here, Dont know what type motoer I have, But would like some home conversions - giddy up Sat, 09 July 2005 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm the auto box must suck... I had an AE92 with 5spd and got it over 180km/h on more than one occasion.
boodgie
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: New here, Dont know what type motoer I have, But would like some home conversions - giddy up Sat, 09 July 2005 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im not that much of a car junkie, so the auto does not bother me. And the fact that I live in noosa which aint got the fastest streets in the easts and it aint that big of a place means I really only need a run about car for getting around town nothing to over the top ie: conversions etc. I will be sticking with motor I have now, like I said the bank balance aint that big and not all that mechanically minded it would have to go to a mechanic so that will up the price.

Basicly I just want to know if there are any things I can do while it sits in the drive way with what tools I have around the house to get a bit more push out of it and get it to run a bit more smoother.

And later on down the track maybe things like air filters, extractors. You know the drill.

I really just want a nice car that runs nicely, I am looking at at body kits and have what I want picked out and a nice set of mags on the bench ready to buy.
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: New here, Dont know what type motoer I have, But would like some home conversions - giddy up Sat, 09 July 2005 14:33 Go to previous message
well if you've got the money for body kits and wheels, you've got enough to put a 4a-ge in Razz

there is nothing you can do to a 4A-FC this will only be echoed in about every post mate.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Where is the coil on a camry? more : which cable for -ve?
Next Topic:Gen3 3SGTE Differences
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 04:56:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048599243164062 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.