Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon5.gif  Car officially hates me Sat, 09 July 2005 15:32 Go to next message
Hey people,

I'm not quite sure exactly when this started happening, all I know is it was not long after I got the car running on all 6 cylinders.

Now, when it cold starts, it tries to die, splutters for a sec, races up to 2000rpm and then hunts around, then as it warms up, either a) tries to die or b) idles like with a slut.

Occasionally it will just sit there hunting wildly, sometimes even a few hundred revs. It idles smoother when it's revving higher but there is still the occasional pop from the exhaust. Under WOT, it appears to drive well, although I've not been in another 1GGTE powered XX to compare Razz

There is a distinct smell of unburnt fuel that really burns your eyes. I've changed the AFM, and the new one was in spec for the voltages and the adjustment screw had a seal over it so I'm assuming it's set to factory spec. I've tried a different ECU to no avail. I used the Jaycar DFA to remove some fuel from it, and taking ANY away caused it to go from bad to worse.

Nearly all the sensors I checked previously and they all came up good, which is why I tried replacing the AFM as this was the only one a little dodgy. It's not throwing any codes.

Does anyone have any idea as to what this could be? I'm leaning towards a vacuum leak, but cant for the life of me think where the hell it could be coming from, I've clamped all the vacuum lines and checked (as far as I can tell) all the other piping is sealed correctly. If someone thinks this matches the symptoms though, I'll check it again. The other things I'm thinking of are spark plugs being crudded up, haven't checked them since the new injector.

Please help, the car is doing my head in at the moment.

Cheers,
Nathan
  Send a private message to this user    
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Car officially hates me Sat, 09 July 2005 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my car tends to dislike me aswell.... MA61 just seems to have 1 problem after the next.... first it was the coolant, then the water pump shit itself, then the clutch master cylinder leaked fluid all on the drivers side carpet, then the master cylinder just shit itself, then a coolant pipe split and coolant went everywhere, then there was an oil leak as the rocker gasket was crap and the spark plug wells where drowned in oil, now the diff is fucked..... errrrrrrrrrrrrrr plus the 7M in cold doesn't like to idle at all, i have to sit there and hold ion the revs !!

[Updated on: Sat, 09 July 2005 16:11]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Car officially hates me Sat, 09 July 2005 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe vac leak at head/manifold gasket.. even 1mm will suck in a fair bit fo air....

maybe start from the head and work your way out... that it dies when you take away fuel, yet smells rich sounds like you are lean on a one or a few cylinders.. hmm, injectors ok?

maybe go thru any possible vac leaks and then as last resort, get injectors flow tested perhaps?

edit.. what do your plugs look like?? if you get mostly nice ones and one that looks lean..... had that in mine when some of the gasket got blown OUT from intake harmonics Wink

[Updated on: Sat, 09 July 2005 16:20]

187_20v
Regular

October 2004
Re: Car officially hates me Sat, 09 July 2005 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
same here
i changed my spark plugs 2day
and know its like runs fine
but when it idles when stop standing it goes up and down and the popin sound comes like it runnin rich but iding low
wired
think the AFM fuked again
just fixed it a month ago
coz some pin snaped inside
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Car officially hates me Sat, 09 July 2005 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Injectors have already been flow tested and checked...although I did say that last time and had a dead one Razz

I'll pull the plugs next time and do a bit of tea leaf reading then start looking for vacuum leaks.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Car officially hates me Sun, 10 July 2005 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bump, anyone else with ideas feel free, more stuff I can check at one time the better.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Car officially hates me Sun, 10 July 2005 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its the same story ... turbo + mods = money pit Razz i know it to well lol
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Car officially hates me Sun, 10 July 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
berad wrote on Sun, 10 July 2005 16:07

its the same story ... turbo + mods = money pit Razz i know it to well lol

I haven't even had the chance to drive it running well though!
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Car officially hates me Sun, 10 July 2005 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that doesnt matter lol.. turbos are trouble but noone learns lol especialy not me i live in a state of denial telling my self off nothing can possibly break / go wrong after i fix this and wat do u know? something else needs fixing , adjusting , rebuilding etc etc Razz
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Car officially hates me Sun, 10 July 2005 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Sun, 10 July 2005 15:46

Bump, anyone else with ideas feel free, more stuff I can check at one time the better.

Hate it back - it works for me!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Car officially hates me Sun, 10 July 2005 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CLG wrote on Sun, 10 July 2005 17:36

justcallmefrank wrote on Sun, 10 July 2005 15:46

Hate it back - it works for me!

All my hatred is being diverted towards the RA60 which is haemmoraging oil and destroyed a fuel pump.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Car officially hates me Sun, 10 July 2005 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you need to unghey the car Razz

i wonder if you have a leak in the intake pipe behind the AFM?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Car officially hates me Sun, 10 July 2005 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Sun, 10 July 2005 21:36

you need to unghey the car Razz

i wonder if you have a leak in the intake pipe behind the AFM?

I thought about that, I was extra cautious when I tightened it up this time with the new AFM.

I'm going to take off the engine fan and try listening around the intake piping for a leak. It has to be there somewhere.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Car officially hates me Sun, 10 July 2005 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cold start injector staying on?

unplug it after u start the car see if it makes a change.

its a PITA to unplug so unclip the injector plug clip thing then start the car then unplug it.
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Car officially hates me Sun, 10 July 2005 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My car did the same thing, I had not one, but two faulty AFM's! Car ran fine after the third one went on. Compunding this problem the pipe coming off the bottom of the turbo that goes straight to the intercooler was cracked and actually blew straight off

All i can suggest is re-checking all of your piping as it looks as though your AFM has already been checked properly

Dan
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Car officially hates me Mon, 11 July 2005 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It sounds a bit like my 4AGZE when I first fitted it, turned out to be a dodgy (slow reading) o2 sensor.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Car officially hates me Mon, 11 July 2005 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you sure you have everything grounded the way it should be, and everything that needs power is getting it? Razz

Checked for anything that could disrupt say... the AFM signal wire?

Too bad you're in perth, since I have an XX with 1g-gte in it Razz
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Car officially hates me Mon, 11 July 2005 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That cold start injector is a good idea Rob, simple to check too, cheers!

The AFM's were *slightly* out of spec, but on further inspection, they matched up fine with my mates GZ20 which runs magic.

O2 sensor is a possibility, because it's the only thing I haven't checked. It won't affect WOT which means it could still be the problem.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Car officially hates me Mon, 11 July 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, and I checked all the power and earth wires as part of my last diagnosis. Actually, I've improved the main battery earths as well Razz
Pure_In_Sanity
Regular

October 2004
Re: Car officially hates me Tue, 12 July 2005 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could it be a dud coolant temp sensor? possibly giving false readings to the ecu...

Vacuum leak sounds like a possibility.

Last ghey idea - blocked cat?

My 2 cents anyway.

Good luck
-Phil
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Car officially hates me Tue, 12 July 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
New cat, all temp sensors have been checked.
Vacuum leak unlikely but will be checked soon.
Pure_In_Sanity
Regular

October 2004
Re: Car officially hates me Tue, 12 July 2005 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Valve timing??
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Car officially hates me Tue, 12 July 2005 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Checked multiple times.
Compression checked too.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Car officially hates me Sat, 16 July 2005 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, two primary problems I can see. Removing the engine fan and using a bit of hose worked a treat.

5 points to teh Witzl, intake pipe between AFM and bit above the turbos had a leak on the engine side. I fabbed up a ring from high-density foam that slips around the fitting and gives the clamp something to really grab hold of. Worked a treat, no more air leak there.

Started her up again idled at 1600rpm after a bit of hysterics. Started to warm up and idle down a bit, nice and smooth. Turned it off, then back on again, just same as before. Searched some more, distinct air leak around #3 injector. Major air leak like what first happened when I didn't have the replacement in not quite right. Going to fix that tonight, had to drop new rims off at repair place.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Car officially hates me Sat, 16 July 2005 14:48 Go to previous message
Well, it idles too high now, but I haven't taken it for a drive, so my care factor is low. BUT, it idles nice and smooth now. The number 3 injector wasn't sealing correctly. Got them all back on and nicely fastened, and back to the way it should be.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Fixing the rust under the tyre in an ra65
Next Topic:Probs with 1G error codes
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 22:39:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0079541206359863 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.