Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » What happened to giving a flash!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
soarerchic
Regular

January 2005
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Fri, 01 July 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I reckon what goes around comes around and I'd want to be warned if there was a speed camera coming up so I wiggle my headlights at people Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Sat, 02 July 2005 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank f$#k it's still tradion in Melbourne... Always done it, been brought up to do it, will bring my kids up to do it provided we aren't all in automatic hover cars be then Laughing

People do give the thank you wave here in Melb. Wink

[Updated on: Sat, 02 July 2005 14:22]

Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Tue, 05 July 2005 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mynameisrodney wrote on Sun, 26 June 2005 23:49

they can fine you but only on a technicality. the fine is for improper use of high beams, not for warning people of the cop. so if you quickly switch your low beams on then off they cant fine you.of course if you did get pulled over and fined for flashing a warning i guess you could always take it to court and make them PROVE that you weren't using low beams).

chris

Beat me to it! that's what i do!
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Sun, 10 July 2005 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have always been told to give a flash and do, i often get waves, and i always wave people who flash me

my dad always said it should be law TO flash
db__
Regular

August 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Tue, 12 July 2005 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm a fan of the flash! I've actually had a few people flash me in the last couple weeks, before that however i couldn't remember the last time!

I don't care if someone is blatantly going over the speed limit, i will still flash them. Do you people that don't get off over knowing they could possibly cop a fine / lose their licence? Does it let you sleep better at night? If it does i'm worried about the direction our society is headed Confused
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Fri, 12 August 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Merudo wrote on Thu, 30 June 2005 10:44

riceburna73 wrote on Wed, 29 June 2005 22:50

AE86slut wrote on Wed, 29 June 2005 17:27

What happened to courtesy in general? FFS, how hard is it to give a wave when someone lets you into their lane???

People are just fucking idiots. Everyday on the way home on the M4 I leave a gap of about 20m in front of me - letting people in keeps traffic flowing and will only make you 0.000000001 seconds later than you would be if you stuck to the person in front's bumper, not letting anyone in, and forcing traffic to stop while they try to find a way into the lane.
My pet hate is the fact that I leave all this room, but people refuse to merge right up until the lane physically ends! Do they not realise they CAN merge before this!?!?! I'm getting fired up just thinking about it!
If I'm pissed off, when the lane ends I close my gap to make them feel stupid for not merging earlier when it was easy and wouldn't fuck up the flow of traffic.... Not that they'd realise anyway, it just gives me morbid satisfaction.

[/rant]

Im with you on that one slutty!
My biggest pet hate is thos fuck wits that have to follow the merging lane right to the end,especially when there is no one around. You can definately see that in their little minds they believe that if they follow the magic line the merging part will take care of its self Rolling Eyes

Anyways back on track,enhendrekid mabye when you get done for 3km over you may change you mind and be a bit more courteous..

you two are right on the money here Evil or Very Mad

dont get me started about people that just wait until the lane runs out so they just automerge... are they that lazy?!

I always let ppl in, like if traffic's stopped and there's a sidestreet, some people just pull right up the the bumper in front of them, i leave a gap so they can turn out, give them a little wave or lift the fingers off the steering wheel, makes me happy to extend some common courtesy.

most people just look at you like "WTF.... whatever mate" and keep driving, some smile and wave back

also, what about people that are in a lane thats running out, and you slow down to let them in, and they just DONT FUCKING MERGE, they just keep plodding along in that lane as if you're trying to block them out, that's happened to me so many times, I've even flashed my lights to indicate YES, YOU CAN COME IN TO MY LANE IN FRONT OF ME.... and most people just dont, they just sit there like stunned mullets in their lane ugh Evil or Very Mad

now im getting pissed off!

you just want to grab people like that by their collar and yell at them

What's the point of letting someone merge at the start of a merging lane? They are that long for a reason (I can give you the formula for working it out if you want to get really stupid)
Apart from letting people build up speed to merge (except in peak hour when they've got to slow Laughing ) it gives them a chance to see what's going on. It also stops cars queuing up the On ramp behind them & onto the other roads.
If the merging lane is eg 150m long, you can store 20-30 cars in that lane while trying to merge that aren't blocked back further up the road.
So my suggestion as someone who knows a little bout these things is force people to go all the way to the end of the merging lane, but be courteous there & merge one for one.

Oh yeah, I wave at anyone who does the right thing for me & I try to be courteous to them. One car only holds you up for 2-3 seconds, so what's the big deal.

I gave up flashing my lights for speed traps ages ago. No one cares & if their not obeying the speed limit or paying attention that much, then tough. (Speaking for experience here Embarassed )

A new courteousy thing that most car drivers don't know, but truckies live by:
If a truck is trying to change lanes into yours, when the trailer is clear of the front of your front bumper, hold your high beam on. It lets them know that they're clear of your vehicle & aren't going to come over the top of you. In thanks, they'll give you a left-right-left indicator flash.

So, is that my traffic engineering essay finish now professor? Laughing
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Fri, 12 August 2005 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't bother anymore as the speeders these days tend to be self-centered fuckwits anyway, and if they're too stupid to notice the huge white landcruiser on the side of the road, that's their problem.

My rule: Don't trust ANYTHING parked on the side of the road.

EDIT: And about merging lanes, I find I usually end up going to the end of them as while I'm driving along, I'm watching the traffic and matching their speed while watching for that nice space to slot into, and by that time, the end of that lane has come. What is annoying though is when people can't do this, and while I've ended up matching their speed and leaving a gap they decide to pound the brakes right at the end of the merge lane for some stupid reason, and it's always right at the last second when it seemed they were moving infront of me, which then causes me to slow down suddenly as well.... Grrr.

But what does give me the shits is when they've closed a lane of traffic (roadworks), and the lane jumpers go all the way to the end of it and push in. Fuckers would have seen the signs from 500meters back. I hate lane jumpers.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 August 2005 13:36]

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: What happened to giving a flash! Sat, 13 August 2005 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With the lane merging thing I think the problem lies with the fact that people wait until the end of the lane and then stop dead.
Personally I don't go out of my way to let these people in... if they are that stupid they deserve to sit there for a while.

If someone makes an attempt to match speed then I will happily let them in.

When merging in heavytraffic I always wait until fairly close to the end of the lane (like 25m) and then slowly merge into the right hand lane... I do this because I hate it when people from the right hand lane change lanes and push in front via the left hand lane.
LeaThaL
Regular

June 2005
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Sun, 14 August 2005 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Wed, 29 June 2005 17:27

What happened to courtesy in general? FFS, how hard is it to give a wave when someone lets you into their lane???

People are just fucking idiots. Everyday on the way home on the M4 I leave a gap of about 20m in front of me - letting people in keeps traffic flowing and will only make you 0.000000001 seconds later than you would be if you stuck to the person in front's bumper, not letting anyone in, and forcing traffic to stop while they try to find a way into the lane.
My pet hate is the fact that I leave all this room, but people refuse to merge right up until the lane physically ends! Do they not realise they CAN merge before this!?!?! I'm getting fired up just thinking about it!
If I'm pissed off, when the lane ends I close my gap to make them feel stupid for not merging earlier when it was easy and wouldn't fuck up the flow of traffic.... Not that they'd realise anyway, it just gives me morbid satisfaction.

[/rant]

i agree there, i hate people on the highway when both lanes are clear and your merging on and they stay in the outside lane just to shit you cause their too lazy to change lanes or something Mad

or when there is road works on the highway and they have a 80 zone, you drop back to 80 for it and they come right up your ass and flash their lights and beep their horn and then give you the finger as they overtake you!! Confused

RobST162 wrote

Having pop-up headlights sucks, 'cause it is so obvious when you do it, so sometimes I have to wait a few 100mtrs first

Laughing Laughing i have the same problem! Razz
but here when you do it they look at you as to say "whats this little dewb doing with his lights up! Confused

the Grp A bonnet in black dont help anything tho Very Happy
mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Sun, 14 August 2005 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its crap...im only a learner driver Embarassed yet i do it, hardly ever get a wave Sad..

i was under the impression that lights are used as a guide for other drivers, well, in europe anyway, like 1 flash 'come forward' or two flashes 'im going'.

or is it the other way round...

and another thing, why cant perth driver's merge like sydney ones? Mad
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Sun, 14 August 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What this whole debate comes down to is just the fact that 95% of drivers are either in fairy-land or simply don't care about good driving practices.

In regard to flashing your lights, its simple common courtesy. I do it, and appreciate when others do it for me. This common courtesy should extend to all other aspects of sharing the road with others.

Changing lanes, I believe, should be done with foresight, and completed as soon as possible. There's nothing to gain by leaving changing lanes right to the end of the merging lane, as it more often than not leads to someone having to slam on their brakes. Just think about where you have to be going, and get in the lane that gets u there as soon as possible.

Also, when driving in traffic there is so much to gain by leaving a nice big space in front of you, as ae86slut explained. It gives ppl a chance to merge without having to slam on their brakes, and also gives you time to stop safely when some dickhead up ahead needs to slam on their brakes cause of some merging disaster.

Any in Brisbane that dirves to UQ will know of the merge from 2 lanes into 1 just before the little round-a-bout. This is daily the worst display of "lets-all-follow-the-magical-white-line-on-th e-left-
and-merge-at-the-last-second" I have ever seen. No matter how much of a gap I leave in front of me, no one will ever take it. Is it just because they want to take a chance at moving up one or teo places in the line?
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Sun, 14 August 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
white86 wrote on Sun, 14 August 2005 14:58

Changing lanes, I believe, should be done with foresight, and completed as soon as possible. There's nothing to gain by leaving changing lanes right to the end of the merging lane, as it more often than not leads to someone having to slam on their brakes. Just think about where you have to be going, and get in the lane that gets u there as soon as possible.

So it was you driving that campervan thing I saw a couple of weeks ago then? Wink

This fool was infront of me, just turned the tight corner to get onto the merging lane at banyo, and he decides that it was a good thing to go into the left lane straight away at the start of the merge lane while still doing ~30km/h. Lucky that patrol that was about to then totally wipe him out and kill the kids jumping around the back of the thing (I saw them on the rear "bench" seat thing in the rear window, and they were right in the spot that 4wd almost plowed into), was able to swerve behind the semi-trailer that had JUST passed him in the right lane. If that truck was just a little slower.... Guaranteed carnage for sure.

And it was a good thing there was no more traffic coming at all, so I took off into the right lane myself to get away from the fucker, (who wants to hang around that shit?), and as I did, he decided it would have been better to stay in the entrance lane and moved back into it. Fuck me.

Quote:

Any in Brisbane that dirves to UQ will know of the merge from 2 lanes into 1 just before the little round-a-bout. This is daily the worst display of "lets-all-follow-the-magical-white-line-on-th e-left-
and-merge-at-the-last-second" I have ever seen. No matter how much of a gap I leave in front of me, no one will ever take it. Is it just because they want to take a chance at moving up one or teo places in the line?
Yep, exactly that. Lane jumpers piss me off.
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Sun, 14 August 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha obviously not what I meant Apollo. Merging at traffic speed obviously takes precedence. I was trying to highlight the dangers of leaving lane changing to the last second, because you've suddenly run out of room. This applies to general lane changing as well as merging lanes. If people actually thought about what lane takes them where, we'd have none of that insane diving across 3 lanes cause you're going to miss your turn off.
BOOLY
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Mon, 15 August 2005 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I try to flash everyone when I see A camera/cop/hazard. I am regularly driving along Manning rd (always cameras). up and down at least four times a day (I was a courier until today) and everyone looks at me like I have no clue (I think the expressions are gold). On the issue of merging/giving way, If people are nice to me I'll be nice to them. But I always try to give them a chance to be nice before I start being mean.
Does that all make sense?
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Wed, 17 August 2005 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The shire in Sydney seems really good recently for both speed cameras and flashing. Twice in the past week have there been speed cameras set up on either the princes or heathcote rd and both times drivers were flashing to warn others.
Flynnos
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Wed, 17 August 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The courtesy flash has saved me on two occasions, thankyou out there to whoever it was Smile I try to give when i rememeber.
I spose society's getting to the stage where a flash takes too much time out today's busy lifestyles, geese i love the direction australia is heading in
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Wed, 17 August 2005 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mc68 wrote on Sun, 14 August 2005 12:25

its crap...im only a learner driver Embarassed yet i do it, hardly ever get a wave Sad..

i was under the impression that lights are used as a guide for other drivers, well, in europe anyway, like 1 flash 'come forward' or two flashes 'im going'.

or is it the other way round...

and another thing, why cant perth driver's merge like sydney ones? Mad

That's because you guys have no dotted line to indicate the lane is merging Razz That was weird to me.

On topic of flashes, I got a flash the other day, a cop had a radar in a school zone, only one car flashed! I would have waved back if the window was down.
That said the only downside was the overly-cautious driver in front of me rolling along at 30km/h, then sitting on 40 when it was back to 70 Rolling Eyes
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Fri, 19 August 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fuck me dead last night following a green p-plater thru blairmount, at 10pm he was doing less than 40 thru the 40 zone i mean ffs. Initially he was driving pretty quick but then all of a sudden he was driving extremely slow, he proceeded to come to a near stop at a roundabout that was clear and crawled around it.
I have a feeling he was just doing it to be a annoying but what does he gain other than the fact that me and the other road users behind him thinking he is an absolute tool.
PHOBIA
Regular

May 2005
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Fri, 19 August 2005 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I still give the lights a flick for the oncoming traffic, but it is definitely something that is loosing its popularity. It’s just curtesy, so all should get behind it and help a brother out. Wink
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Fri, 19 August 2005 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well im glad this thread is still going! I took the preaching of giving a flash to a new level last week.

On 2Gb or some other AM station they were talking about common courtesy on the roads and put the question out to the listeners as to what the most frustrating and least courteous things were that you had seen while driving.

I got a good 5 mins explaining that the merge lane doesnt magically help you merge and posed the question as to why no-one gives a flash Very Happy At first he said well its illegal to give a flash yadda yadda,so I said well in the time I had been listening to his program he seemed to take the stance that speed cameras didnt help reduce the death toll and were just about revenue raising etc so if they are willing to get us for 3km over and take a quarter of our licence for doing it,it was about time the motorists united to help each other beat the bastards.I even got to throw in that even if you see some bugger who is speeding quite excessively and it would be nice to let them get a fine,its better to slow them down with a flash now rather than them travelling past the speed trap and also speeding to the rest of their destination and getting a fine 3 weeks later saying they were doing the wrong thing 3 weeks ago Rolling Eyes So if we all had the flash warning system taught to us we could infact use it to slow down speeding motorists even when there isnt a speed camera ahead,and wouldnt that have more of an impact on reducing the road toll?

It was cool heaps of old farts called up after that to give their opinion and the presenter was in the end promoting it as much as he legally could in the end Very Happy

Hahaha vote 1 Riceburna73
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Fri, 19 August 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe there just hetic with the subwuffa to get more points when they highbeam to the beats Razz

Quote:

People do give the thank you wave here in Melb

u must be in the good area Confused

[Updated on: Fri, 19 August 2005 06:53]

79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: What happened to giving a flash! Fri, 19 August 2005 07:04 Go to previous message
I saw a higway patrol doing radar on heathcote road yesterday and flashed about 50 cars on the way up... I got about 10 waves and thanks including one guy who hung half way out the window with his thumb up...
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Some crazy photochops
Next Topic:DVD Burner problems
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 16:46:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0079100131988525 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.