Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » How much gain could you expect from an aftermarket ECU?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
corbet01
Regular

April 2005
How much gain could you expect from an aftermarket ECU? Fri, 08 July 2005 09:12 Go to next message
HI,

As per title, aftermarket ECU on a STD 100kw small port?

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: How much gain could you expect from an aftermarket ECU? Fri, 08 July 2005 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you be any more vague in your question?!?!?
What car is it in? East/west or north/south configuration? What ecu are you putting in? When you say STD, you mean no cams/extractors/pod filter/exhaust etc?

In the end... it'll come down to the tuner. You could put a Motec M4 pro with ALL the options into it but it'll run like shit if your tuner's no good.

Eddie.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How much gain could you expect from an aftermarket ECU? Fri, 08 July 2005 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on a standard engine, no mods at all, you can expect fuckall gains. your tuner will be able to advance the timing a little, lean out the mixtures a little, but ultimately it's still a standard engine with all the usual restrictions in place.

ie: waste of money unless you're giving it a tits cam & complete n/a workover, or hanging a turbo off the side.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: How much gain could you expect from an aftermarket ECU? Fri, 08 July 2005 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depends on the motor.

My 1UZ put down 200rwhp on the Microtech base map. 100% stock motor, just manual.

Most 1UZ's on factory ecu put down about 175rwhp (auto).
joecoolmk2
Regular

June 2004
Re: How much gain could you expect from an aftermarket ECU? Fri, 08 July 2005 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd bet money that almost all your extra power came from your transmission change.
corbet01
Regular

April 2005
Re: How much gain could you expect from an aftermarket ECU? Sun, 10 July 2005 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh its a STD 4age if it was not STD then i would list the mods and what is nth sth or east west got to do with it. It is either going to or not.
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: How much gain could you expect from an aftermarket ECU? Sun, 10 July 2005 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I assumed you meant power at the wheels. Pure engine output isn't as important as the power you're actually putting to the ground. North/south, east/west will affect the power lost due to the drivetrain.

Eddie.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: How much gain could you expect from an aftermarket ECU? Sun, 10 July 2005 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aftermarket ecu's give sweet fa on a standard engine and has already been stated, its when you get more mods and other little things that it starts to help but i wouldnt worry about one if you want it for a power increase get one when the standard one will not suport the mods you want to do, or you have $2200 lieing around Razz
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: How much gain could you expect from an aftermarket ECU? Mon, 11 July 2005 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joecoolmk2 wrote on Fri, 08 July 2005 19:48

i'd bet money that almost all your extra power came from your transmission change.

Maybe, maybe not.
I've seen 1UZ's with factory auto's on aftermarket ecu's put out 200rwhp.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How much gain could you expect from an aftermarket ECU? Mon, 11 July 2005 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Turbo engines often see significant gains with a well-tuned aftermarket ECU. Toyota tunes their turbo engines stupidly rich on boost, so there's quite a lot to be gained by leaning it out a bit.

Having said that, on an atmo engine I'd expect little if any gain.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How much gain could you expect from an aftermarket ECU? Mon, 11 July 2005 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My friend had a 4agze that gained somewhere around 10 - 20 rwkw just from aftermarket ecu. My guess for this is though toyota seems to make them run very rich under boost.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: How much gain could you expect from an aftermarket ECU? Mon, 11 July 2005 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yer most would gain 10kw but is 10kw worth 2200 dollars.. good upgrade when you need it but personally i would stick to the stock one and buy something that will give you a power boost or buy one because u have the cash lieing round
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: How much gain could you expect from an aftermarket ECU? Mon, 11 July 2005 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It totally depends...

A friend dropped one of my Boss's ECUs on his car...
On the dyno, from around 3500RPM upwards, power is effectively the same, yet it actualy pulls harder out of corners etc...
That's on a Honda, Honda manages to tune thigns quite well...

On alot of turbo imports though, with AFRs in the 10s, ALOT more power can eb made...
Especially from the 1JZ-GTE in the Soarer... Insanely rich and madly retarded ignition!
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: How much gain could you expect from an aftermarket ECU? Mon, 11 July 2005 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if its a stock engine, compare the millions of dollars spent by toyota creating and tuining a computer to run your 4age.

then compare that to the couple of hundred u will pay for ur aftermarket tune. (not includeing computer of course)

do the math.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: How much gain could you expect from an aftermarket ECU? Mon, 11 July 2005 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You don't seriously think that do you????

Toyota tune the engine to run a a variety of shit fuels, to run at any altitude, at any temperature, and with various stages of waer and tear, and still last 500,000km's.

To do this tuning must be fairly conservative.

When you tune a motor with an aftermarket ecu you tune it for a certain fuel, and you make sure you keep everything in good condition, and keep the intake temperatures down.

Basically factory ecu's are tuned so that idiots can install pod filters that breathe hot air and still not ping.
You try doing this on a motor thats been tuned for performance.
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: How much gain could you expect from an aftermarket ECU? Tue, 12 July 2005 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
he makes a good point actually.
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: How much gain could you expect from an aftermarket ECU? Tue, 12 July 2005 11:43 Go to previous message
carsanactra wrote on Tue, 12 July 2005 17:26

he makes a good point actually.

Good? It's a bloody excellent point!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:intercooler piping 2" to 3"
Next Topic:KE55 keeps stalling when hot/thrashed..
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 10:42:09 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058708190917969 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.