Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » RA23 steering upgrades, anyone got info? do RA28 or 40 items fit?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
JAZE
Forums Junkie

September 2002
icon5.gif  RA23 steering upgrades, anyone got info? do RA28 or 40 items fit? Sun, 10 July 2005 11:17 Go to next message
I want to get rid of the crusty old steering setup in my RA23, I have seen RA23's with the newer steering setup, but i'm not sure how to go about it.
Is the RA40 or 28 item the newer style and are they compatible with the ra23 (76 model)?
Whats the best way to go about it all?
Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: RA23 steering upgrades, anyone got info? do RA28 or 40 items fit? Sun, 10 July 2005 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they're all the same old-style steering box (that gets flogged out and worn).

if you wanted a serious improvement in steering, then rack-and-pinion (custom mounted/fabbed to the cross member) is probably the way to go.

Joe (TurboRA28) has done this, but i can't find his thread on the topic.
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA23 steering upgrades, anyone got info? do RA28 or 40 items fit? Sun, 10 July 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from my experience i dont think there is any difference between ra23/ra28 and ra40 models steering setup. correct me if im wrong somebody?

rack and pinion wasnt in any celicas until after the ra40 model i thought?? ra60 onwards, maybe sa63 even?

if you want a whole new rack & pinion setup theres a few who have performed this to older celicas/corollas, by utilizing AE71 r&p and fabricating/re-positioning all the mounts etc. onto the ra23 x-member roughly?? but i am not an expert on this at all..

i just replaced or re-built all the components in the entire steering setup, including new steering box internals, and addition of Roll-Centre-Adjusters(bump-steer spacers), to help correct the steering geometry from having lowered the car.

for improved steering with standard-type setup check or replace with new:
tie rod ends,
ball joints,
idler arm & pitman arm,
steering box internals & bushes,
roll centre adjusters,
nolathane bushes everywhere.
shocks/springs,
tyres/alignment,
sway bars..

this is what i found i had to do with my old ra28 to improve steering response and performance..
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: RA23 steering upgrades, anyone got info? do RA28 or 40 items fit? Sun, 10 July 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your up for it, R&P would be the way to go.

Joel is doing it with a modified KE70 xmember and rack.

Im doing it with a TA23 xmember and a AE92 rack.

See info & photos of mine in the later replies of my members rides thread:
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=57832

[Updated on: Sun, 10 July 2005 12:27]

Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: RA23 steering upgrades, anyone got info? do RA28 or 40 items fit? Sun, 10 July 2005 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RA28 and RA28 bits are the same, pretty sure of that.
Some are more worn than other, that's all.

RA40? I reckon that'd be about the same too. Struts are different (slightly), suspension arm length if different (longer by about 40mm I think, a search would clear that up)

Rack and pinion would the way to go, but not with power steering. Being able to feel the road is a good thing in my opinion.

Also have a look at increasing your struts' caster. The design of RA23 suspension is really shit. The tyres roll onto their outer edges when cornering. This is BAD!
Caster makes a huge difference.
We used the lower strut support rod (near ball joint to front of chassis) to pull the wheels about 10mm further forward, then had the wheel alignment redone. Improvement was very noticable.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: RA23 steering upgrades, anyone got info? do RA28 or 40 items fit? Sun, 10 July 2005 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve M wrote on Mon, 11 July 2005 00:05

RA28 and RA28 bits are the same, pretty sure of that.

I would hope so Wink

If you meant RA23, then yes they are Smile

BTW, im using a manual rack out of a AE92.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: RA23 steering upgrades, anyone got info? do RA28 or 40 items fit? Mon, 11 July 2005 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MX62 cressida power steering is practically a bolt in substitute for a RA40
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA23 steering upgrades, anyone got info? do RA28 or 40 items fit? Mon, 11 July 2005 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra40 and ra28/3 steering boxes are not interchangeable.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: RA23 steering upgrades, anyone got info? do RA28 or 40 items fit? Mon, 11 July 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone thought about a xA6x r+p conversion for an early celica?
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: RA23 steering upgrades, anyone got info? do RA28 or 40 items fit? Mon, 11 July 2005 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
blackRA28 wrote on Sun, 10 July 2005 20:04

i just replaced or re-built all the components in the entire steering setup, including new steering box internals, and addition of Roll-Centre-Adjusters(bump-steer spacers), to help correct the steering geometry from having lowered the car.

blackRA28,
How did you go about replacing the steering box internals and where did you buy the necessary parts ?
I don't suppose you were able to get a quicker ratio for that box, say something like 16 to 1 instead of the standard 22 to 1 ?
Thanks,
Mitch.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA23 steering upgrades, anyone got info? do RA28 or 40 items fit? Mon, 11 July 2005 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When I was searching for steering box reco, all I could come up with was new seals/bearings. Couldn't find any place to supply gears.

xA6x crossmembers are close, but the positioning of the control arms make the track way too wide, unless you want to run flares etc. I measured it all up once and ended up like 90mm or more wider, 45mm per side from memory.

The ke70/ae86 xmember/rack conversion really isn't hard. Do end up with a bit more track, but just enough to give you a nice 2 deg neg camber.

Cheers
Joel
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: RA23 steering upgrades, anyone got info? do RA28 or 40 items fit? Mon, 11 July 2005 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

xA6x crossmembers are close, but the positioning of the control arms make the track way too wide, unless you want to run flares etc. I measured it all up once and ended up like 90mm or more wider, 45mm per side from memory.

I have TA60 Carina/Celica crossmember which is same as TT142. Im planning to fit that to my TT132 Corona. Control arm pivot point is indeed 40mm further per side but with TE72 control arms trackwidth is down to +60mm. And there is possibility of moving pivot points inwards about 10mm per side. So track increase can be set to +40mm which is pretty optimal IMHO.

There are some great benefits using TA60 crossmember. Control arm pivot point is higher in TA60 crossmember(which is good thing). Bend in TA60 crossmember is milder than in TT132 and that makes possible to sit rack more forwards. Toyota engineers have already thought the best possible position for the rack, I suppose...

Few points:
TT132 control arm pivot point distance is 600mm
TT142/TA60 control arm pivot point distance is 680mm
TE72 control arm is 10mm shorter than TT132 arm
TA60 crossmember joining bolts doesn't line up with TT132 chassis holes
AFAIK all I said about TT132 applies to *A23/*A28/*40

Some pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/JayemofFinl and/tt132.jpg
Here's TT132 crossmember

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/JayemofFinl and/tt132alta.jpg
Another view from TT132 crossmember

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/JayemofFinl and/TT142.jpg
And this is my TA60/TT142 crossmember

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/JayemofFinl and/TT142alta.jpg
Same as above

TT132 pics were found from some old thread in Toymods

I can provide all the measurements of these crossmembers if somebody is interested

[Updated on: Mon, 11 July 2005 14:44]

Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: RA23 steering upgrades, anyone got info? do RA28 or 40 items fit? Tue, 12 July 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For some strange reason my RA23 steering seems to have a closer ration than my brothers. Don't really know why or if it actually does have a different ratio (doubt it), but it feels slightly quicker.
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA23 steering upgrades, anyone got info? do RA28 or 40 items fit? Wed, 13 July 2005 11:45 Go to previous message
ra23celica wrote on Mon, 11 July 2005 12:11

blackRA28 wrote on Sun, 10 July 2005 20:04

blackRA28,
How did you go about replacing the steering box internals and where did you buy the necessary parts ?
I don't suppose you were able to get a quicker ratio for that box, say something like 16 to 1 instead of the standard 22 to 1 ?
Thanks,
Mitch.

Shit my bad there i wasnt able to track down any different gears etc, i would have to ld u about it, just got seals/bushes/bearings..
i meant re-coed with everything readily available... i think the seals or something in particular had to come from sydney in the end.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:7MGTE bore size?
Next Topic:mx83 struts
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 18:11:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047399997711182 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.