Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
jason 86
Newcomer

July 2005
ae 86 tailshaft questions Sun, 10 July 2005 11:17 Go to next message
ok done the the search thing this is where im at.

i own an aus spec sprinter which has a 1 piece tailshaft?
i have sorced a t-18 rear end including 2 piece tailshaft to go in.

Q- will the 2 piece tailshaft go in? or will the type of t-50 gearbox and (different) amount of splines stop this? hence am i going to have to find half a tailshaft from local sprinter?
any help muchly appreciated thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: ae 86 tailshaft questions Sun, 10 July 2005 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no theyre 2 piece

get the rear half from the t18 and bolt it up to the front half from ur car
jason 86
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: ae 86 tailshaft questions Sun, 10 July 2005 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry ae 95. I mean my sprinter tailshaft is one piece, dont know where it came from ke71? mabe. what i need to know is do i need the front half of sprinter driveshaft to complete conversion mentioned?
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: ae 86 tailshaft questions Sun, 10 July 2005 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the one piece might do the trick, depending on how much slack there is
if not a sprinter front half would do the trick
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: ae 86 tailshaft questions Sun, 10 July 2005 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the T-18 2 piece should just bolt straight up

if you have a 1 piece tailshaft, and your wanting to install a T series diff, just bolt the 2 piece tailshaft from the T18 in - remember to jack the car up more from the rear to prevent the gearbox oil spewing out
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: ae 86 tailshaft questions Sun, 10 July 2005 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The front section of the T18 tailshaft won't fit your Sprinter T50. Your easiest solution would be to find a stock sprinter front section of tail shaft and then use the rear T18 section.

Or try using your current one piece, there may be enough movement in the gearbox spline section to make it work. If not you could get it shortened to suit.

Can I ask if you have any problems with tailshaft hitting the body using your current one piece?

Hen
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: ae 86 tailshaft questions Mon, 11 July 2005 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the front section of a t-18 does fit a t50... im using a t-18 complete tailshaft...
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: ae 86 tailshaft questions Mon, 11 July 2005 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henn wrote on Mon, 11 July 2005 09:31

The front section of the T18 tailshaft won't fit your Sprinter T50. Your easiest solution would be to find a stock sprinter front section of tail shaft and then use the rear T18 section.

Or try using your current one piece, there may be enough movement in the gearbox spline section to make it work. If not you could get it shortened to suit.

Can I ask if you have any problems with tailshaft hitting the body using your current one piece?

Hen

hen, i have been using a 1 piece in my sprinter for a few years, no problems with it hitting, but then again my car isnt crazy low either.
jason 86
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: ae 86 tailshaft questions Mon, 11 July 2005 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank for responses guys, still little confused though.
I found an old thread by (THE WITZL) that states this,
There are 3 basic types of t-50 gearbox.
# TA22/TA23 type- small bearings, 20 spline output shaft,short extension housing.
# TE72/TE71 type- small bearings, 20 splint output, long extension housing.
# AE86/AE71 type- bigger bearings, 22 splint output, long extension housing.
If so how could front tailshaft of TE72 (t-18) fit on end of AE86 T-50? Different number off splines (splints)

shiri is your t-50 AE-86 type?
slayer thanks for tip just the sort thing i dont think about lol.
hen I have had no troubles, my car is standard ride height cheers.

Anywayz will be fitting soon guess ill find out then.
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: ae 86 tailshaft questions Mon, 11 July 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep im using a early model t-18 diff and tailshaft on a stock ae86 gearbox
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: ae 86 tailshaft questions Wed, 13 July 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ShiRi wrote on Mon, 11 July 2005 20:30

yep im using a early model t-18 diff and tailshaft on a stock ae86 gearbox

Non sequituer. I failed the exact same endeavour when trying to piece my car together. 20 spline tailshafts don't fit 22 spline output shafts. If yours fits it's something other than what you think it is.
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: ae 86 tailshaft questions Wed, 13 July 2005 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
really? thats quite intersting...

i might follow that up cause according to the wreckers i bought it from (who only deal in t-18's) it was out of a t-18...

perhaps you're right... because my center was also a 4.1 when i bought it
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: ae 86 tailshaft questions Wed, 13 July 2005 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Moot point really, I suppose if it's working then no problem. The only thing I'd be checking out is whether you do have the 22 spline box.
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: ae 86 tailshaft questions Sun, 24 July 2005 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a T18 T50 output shaft lying around and the front section of an AE86 tailshaft lying around. Tried mating them and it definitely didn't work.

Check the pictures below and see if you can work out why:
http://img314.imageshack.us/img314/7393/t18outputnoflash8am.jpg vs. http://img314.imageshack.us/img314/6545/sprintertailshaft2lr.jpg

Shiri, you definitely have a sprinter front section of tailshaft.

Hen

Please excuse dodginess of the captions on the photos
LeZZa
Regular

September 2004
Re: ae 86 tailshaft questions Tue, 26 July 2005 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This question might be a bit off topic (sorry), but has anyone experienced vibration problems when joining the two different tail shaft halves? I assumed that they are balanced as a single unit by Toyota.
Blackers
Regular

October 2004
Re: ae 86 tailshaft questions Tue, 26 July 2005 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Correct, tailshafts are balanced as a whole item and then marked for disassembly if required. You can try putting hose clamps on the shaft and moving them around according to better/worse vibration but the best solution is to run it off to your local tailshaft place and get it re-balanced
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: ae 86 tailshaft questions Wed, 27 July 2005 11:13 Go to previous message
generally its ok to mix and match the halves and the shaft wont need to be balanced.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:te71 indicators not working. plz help
Next Topic:How do u remove the dials from the dash cluster AE86
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 16:29:17 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057871341705322 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.