Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Bezza05
Newcomer

July 2005
2.7 litre corona Mon, 11 July 2005 11:21 Go to next message
Hi im a new member and have tried searching but cant find anything so sorry if this has been covered before. I want to place a 2.7 litre hilux motor into my rt142 corona and was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

The reason for the selection is because i like the cruisy nature of my 2.4, goes pretty hard for stock with just a 2.5inch exhaust, but its getting a bit long in the tooth so what something a little more modern without going turbo. I also want to keep it 4 cyl and want torque over power. Any ideas on mounts, box and stuff like that. Last question will my exhaust be any good for this engine?

Please help anyone.
  Send a private message to this user    
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 2.7 litre corona Mon, 11 July 2005 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no idea but i have thought about this route befor but never seen actually do it, this engine would have moderate power i think around 110kw and like 240-250nm of torque with good potential for more.
I doubt your 22re will die any time soon thoug, you can't kill em see my sig. Best of luck if you go ahead with this idea like to know how you go, unfortunatley even if it goes well i can't see me going down this route any more as am gonna get rid of the rona at the end of the year.
Common conversion for the rona is the 1ggte early soarer motor good power and because of the rona's lightweight isn't hurt by the relative lack of low down torque.
Don't be put of by the 2.7l though there is a gemini runnign one and many cars in the states running them with big turbos putting out 700hp Very Happy
Bezza05
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: 2.7 litre corona Mon, 11 July 2005 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea i know the 22re is hard to kill mines now done around 500000 km and ive been trying to killing it for the last couple of years. Even run it out of oil on several occasions and just top the oil back up and away we go again. But its finally dying. i will keep you posted on how it goes if i can down this path.

peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: 2.7 litre corona Mon, 11 July 2005 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jesus christ! 500,000? O_O

I'd like to see a photo of your speedo man, that's incredible! Toyota Tough indeed =o
Bezza05
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: 2.7 litre corona Mon, 11 July 2005 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i could take a pic of the speedo but its only showing around 228000. my dad bought it from someone after they did a timing chain. The speedo was reading 450000 but the speedo died.we got another with that one originally showing around 165000. All we did was replace the chain guides and a few valves. So its now time for a freshen up. i love my rona it was my first car now its a spare as i have a 96 camry as well.
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 2.7 litre corona Tue, 12 July 2005 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'll find the hilux engine mounts are the same as your corona's making it a pretty straight swap over.... Gearbox may be similar and may bolt straight in, but it'll have work horse ratio's!! I've done an RN85('88-'98 hilux) swap in to the same car, but we used a celica box so it would rev and go better.... Best bet, go to a car yard and pretend you want to buy one and sus it out....and don't say anything about the swap or you'll be kick out extremely quick!! But for the price tag on these engines you'd be better off with another choice for less cost.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 2.7 litre corona Tue, 12 July 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they arent that exxy are they, my work bought a couple pretty cheap

what do u call exxy
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 2.7 litre corona Tue, 12 July 2005 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

they arent that exxy are they, my work bought a couple pretty cheap

Last time I checked for an engine they were around the $2500-3000 mark no gear box loom etc You can pick up a 1GGE+box+loom for less than half of that and around the same power or exactly half a 1GGTE and with less Km. Though this was around 12months ago when one of my engineers destroyed one of these, so the price may have dropped.
Bezza05
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: 2.7 litre corona Tue, 12 July 2005 10:39 Go to previous message
i dont mind spending a little bit of money to do something different so thats not too much of a prob. I mainly want to stick NA for the time being. If the 2.7 is a straight swap then thats a good start. I have found though the one prob is sourcing reasonably low kay motors there seems to be a bit of a shortage according to everyone ive spoken to.

Any other help with regards to this conversion idea is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the help so far.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2tgeu fuel rail hitting dizzy???
Next Topic:Gearbox swaps
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 21:01:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045418739318848 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.