Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
sizing drag rubber Mon, 11 July 2005 06:29 Go to next message
I'm looking to take the GT8 to WSID but not much point without some decent drag rubber. Seems to be a bit of an art sizing it though and some big power and fast cars on this forum seem to be using relatively small rubber.

So, for a TT 1UZ V8 looking to launch around 2600-3000rpm with a manual box in a car weighing 1450kg race ready anyone got advice on sizing of a 'street' style tyre.

The diff ratio is 2.92:1. Wheel size has to be 16 minimum. I'll buy a pair of wheels to suit the rubber so advice on getting the best from the tyres with appropriate wheel sizing would be good too.

thanks in advance.
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: sizing drag rubber Mon, 11 July 2005 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would have thought the best combo would be as wide as possible with the largest sidewall you can get away with? Not that I'm a drag-racing genius by any means (2.6 60ft Laughing ) but it makes sense to me.

BTW I expect to see a video of your run, and it must include The Biggest Skid In The World.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: sizing drag rubber Mon, 11 July 2005 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why a minimum 16 inch, go 15, soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many more options for rims/tyres

i'd personally go for 9-10 inch, 8 would be useless

depends on if u wanna go for that tyre sizes particular record

Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

icon14.gif  Re: sizing drag rubber Mon, 11 July 2005 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Mon, 11 July 2005 16:39

I would have thought the best combo would be as wide as possible with the largest sidewall you can get away with? Not that I'm a drag-racing genius by any means (2.6 60ft Laughing ) but it makes sense to me.

BTW I expect to see a video of your run, and it must include The Biggest Skid In The World.

*nods in agreement*
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: sizing drag rubber Mon, 11 July 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

why a minimum 16 inch

It has some nice brakes on the back end and even nicer ones one the front. Preeeeety sure that the 16's are to fit over said rear brakes.

Let us know when you are heading up Justen, we will get a group together and throw some cars on the track Very Happy
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: sizing drag rubber Mon, 11 July 2005 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think most of the people here who are getting around on skinny and small drag rubber are doing so either because they got said rubber cheap.

I would have thought with such a diff ratio you would want to compensate by having smaller rubber, however, since you are limited to minimum 16" wheels due to your brakes you probably don't have the greatest range of choice.
If you fitted massive rubber you probably wouldn't get out of first gear!

Other than to compensate for your final drive ratio or to minimise driveline breakage the bigger the better.

[Updated on: Mon, 11 July 2005 06:52]

ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: sizing drag rubber Mon, 11 July 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What are some of the street tyred drag cars that are running on large-ish rims in Japan using???? I thought they were some sort of Nitto brand drag radial??????

If all else fails a couple of us can hide in the hatch of the GT8 to add balast and enhance traction Laughing
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: sizing drag rubber Mon, 11 July 2005 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I remember reading somwhere that BF goodrich make a street legal drag orientated tyre i'm not sure on the price tho but i'm pretty sure they do tyres up to 19 inch but they would be low profile.
Pube
Regular

May 2002
Re: sizing drag rubber Mon, 11 July 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On my 15x10 inch rim I have 295/50 BF's which cost me $250 just to give you some idea of the money you will pay. They are radials as well.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: sizing drag rubber Mon, 11 July 2005 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your wheel size makes things a bit difficult.

Both BF Goodrich and Mickey Thompson list only 255-50 16's in drag radials for a 16 inch wheel.

Mickey Thompson also offer a 275-40 17, BF have both a 275-40 17 and a 315-35 17.

As you can see anything bigger than 15's and the options are really limmited.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: sizing drag rubber Mon, 11 July 2005 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
call rocket industries
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: sizing drag rubber Mon, 11 July 2005 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.mdmotorsport.com.au/catalogue.asp?pg=ho osier&catid=1

there are a few sizes there that might be ok, but as u can see 15" would be the best option.
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: sizing drag rubber Tue, 12 July 2005 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With 300mm rear rotors 15's are no go unless i get something custom made perhaps.

The BFG 255x50 would fit the bill.

Surely there's a more techo way of getting close though? A rule of thumb formula to take into account the cars weight, gearing etc?
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: sizing drag rubber Tue, 12 July 2005 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I assume the techo way is to look at the expected terminal speed of the car based on weight and power. Then look at the gearing in the gear you expect to cross the line in. Figure out what diameter tyre will have you pulling a bit more than maximum power revs in the relevant gear at the relevant speed.
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: sizing drag rubber Tue, 12 July 2005 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Josh, i just did all those calcs based on some info Jason Myers sent me and a sim prog i've been playing around with. Looks like i need to find myself a set of 16's to run the 255x50x16 BFG drag radials. I assume they are DOT rated ?

Anyone got a pair of 5x100 16's Smile
1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: sizing drag rubber Tue, 12 July 2005 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mt's are a shit load cheaper.

ring anthony penna at rocket and say that i told you to call an tell him a bit about the car and he will look after you.

my BF's cost me $400 per tyre last year prior to jamboree. i believe VPW are charging somewhere around the $350 mark. the MT's are less than that.

hope this helps

shane
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: sizing drag rubber Tue, 12 July 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From what I've been seeing in the US MR2 community the Mickey Thompsons are running some really good 60 foot times on IRS cars as well. A lot of people are moving away from the BF's at the moment, mind you that is in the US and they are pretty set in their ways of using the trad gear.
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: sizing drag rubber Tue, 12 July 2005 02:36 Go to previous message
Thanks Shane,
I'll give him a call.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:smallport 4AGE oxygen sensor wiring
Next Topic:Plz Help Identify this! Pics inside
Goto Forum: