Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ke35 - 4AGZE
Regular

April 2004
weekend away shooting Wed, 06 July 2005 09:12 Go to next message
this weekend just gone went down past Cooma for a weekend away of shooting at rabbits,

being the first time i have been since i was 5 and also being the first time i have held and fired a gun in as many years, i can say that it was a bit of a learning experience.

it was great to get away from sydney and and see stars again, the air was clearer we had no toilet, no power and no plumbing,

getting away from society and the bullshit we all put up with for the weekend really made my see how bad sydney is, i couldnt believe the stupid things i keep seeing everywhere since getting back. I put this down to being more alert and therefore noticing more of the things i usually ignore.

there are noticebly less rabbits around these days, we took 6 rabbits in the three days and nights we were there, but on monday night i killed my first rabbit, although i didnt shoot a rabbit all weekend!

just before returning to the shack on monday night, the final night, which i add was at most 0 degrees, we spotted a rabbit in the lights which was easily in range, at that time i was in the cabin of the ute, rifle has two shot, misses, out of ammo, shotgun has two shot and misses, driver yells guns up gets out, i get out at the same time, driver picks up two rocks proceeds to throw the rocks and misses, without taking my eyes off the rabbit i bent down and picked up a rock, one step and pegged the rock at the rabbit taking out both of its rear legs and breaking it back. Rolling Eyes

so my first rabbit wasnt exactly skill related when it come to shooting but adreniline based and thanks to my many years of baseball Very Happy

i also learnt to play about 8 forms of poker and also lost about $30 Laughing

al in all it was great weekend and i spent less money than i usually would have.

anyone else have similar experiences? comments??

thanks
James

[Updated on: Wed, 06 July 2005 09:14]

Send a private message to this user    
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: weekend away shooting Wed, 06 July 2005 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL - it reminds me of a bunny hunting trip that me and my father went on once... We spent 2 hours driving round trying to shoot rabbits with the .22 rifle we had. Got fed up when we couldn't get any and drove back to the house. On the way back we bagged our first and only bunny of the night... nailed it with the left rear wheel! Laughing

And thankyou for reminding me to renew my firearms licence... they only remind you once and I've got 6 days left to do it by. Smile
mikes86
Regular

September 2004
Re: weekend away shooting Wed, 06 July 2005 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh i go pig/roo/other things that move shooting down between gondiwindi and moree. I havent been for 2 years, we usualy camp in tents and its always the greatest of weekends. Its good to get out of town where you cant even get a phone call and just sit watch the clouds turn into stars. Also have you ever noticed if you cook bacon and eggs for breakfast out in the middle of no where on a fire they taste a 1000 times better than they could ever taste out of a kichen? Ahh i need a weekend away so much fun when you have nothing to do.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: weekend away shooting Wed, 06 July 2005 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i used to chase rabbits in my old suzuki vitara (aka all terrain vehicle) they provided me and my mates with alot of fun i think we did more damage to the car than to the rabits but it was fun never the less
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: weekend away shooting Wed, 06 July 2005 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When me and my mate's go away we shoot rabbits and cook them in a camp oven which we bury in the coals of a fire. Chuck in some onions, potatoes, peas and carrot with the rabbit and leave it in the coals for a few hours... Tastes beautiful. And it's awesome to know it's possible to cook a good meal with just the basics.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: weekend away shooting Wed, 06 July 2005 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We went shooting up at Tamworth a few months ago on my uncle-in-law's farm.

Someone was bored in the car and was counting. I think it was 16 rabbits in one night.

One of the rabbits was so close to the car the driver (Ron) told me to put the gun down. We pincer-move it and he dives and tackles it! he picks it up and brings it back to the car where the girls in the back ask "is it dead?". Ron says "NO" and throws the bunny into the car! The girls scream, the bunny looks shit scared until one of the girls opens the door and lets the poor thing out.

He caught another 2 by hand that night and broke their backs across his knee. I was a good decoy, but did shoot a lot of them.

One jumped at least 5 foot in the air when it got shot. Must've hit a nerve.
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: weekend away shooting Thu, 07 July 2005 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL that must have been hillarious to watch Smile

I shot a few rabbits as a kid with my mate's air rifle. It just took those little shuttlecock looking things, and you just stuck them in the gun and clicked it shut, didn't need any other propellant.

Most of the rabbits had myxo, so we were doing them a favour. Got a couple of headshots, but mostly body shots. The ammo didn't do a huge amount of damage unless you hit a sensitive area like the head so it made it hard.

Shot some sheep and birds for fun too, didn't hurt the sheep one bit!
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: weekend away shooting Thu, 07 July 2005 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hope you werent shooting at native birds!
EnFlaMEd
Regular

September 2003
Re: weekend away shooting Thu, 07 July 2005 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The damn natives eat the grapes!
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: weekend away shooting Thu, 07 July 2005 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
reminds me of the first rabbit i bagged with a .22
no joke! first shot at a rabbit, bullet went right through one and into the other, dropped them both!
farmer couldnt believe his eyes.
after that i bought my own .22, and moved on to a compound bow!
nothing more thrilling than bowhunting, i reken i enjoyed that more than i now do drifting as hard as that is to believe.
bagged a couple goats and pigs back in the day with my bow.

i've also got a couple whippets, its awesome watching them running down a bunny!
but the most interseting and effective form of bunny hunting so far has to be BUNNY BUSTING!
i went out to a farm at rylstone a couple years ago, ran out of ammo and was a nice night so went for a ride on the back of myu mates trike chasing bunnys, we hit about 3 but the trike just ran them over and the rabbits were fine, so someone had the bright idea of bringing out a golf club we spotted the next night...you can work out the rest, but it was suprisingly effective!
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: weekend away shooting Thu, 07 July 2005 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
must have been an awesome shot with the rock. esspeacially to break the back. real nice shot indeed.
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: weekend away shooting Thu, 07 July 2005 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i went shooting years ago in condobolin, we had vw combis with the roof cut out and gun racks in them and you would stand up and shoot while someone is driving chasen down a pig or roo...ah the days
ke35 - 4AGZE
Regular

April 2004
Re: weekend away shooting Thu, 07 July 2005 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BOCKA wrote on Thu, 07 July 2005 21:29

must have been an awesome shot with the rock. esspeacially to break the back. real nice shot indeed.

well yeah. and it wasnt a small rock either Wink

Quote:

nothing more thrilling than bowhunting, i reken i enjoyed that more than i now do drifting as hard as that is to believe.

yeah i used to do a bit of archery, but i never had enough time to get fully into it,

my dad used to hunt with a big compound bow, sh1t that thing has some power!!

yeah we were mainly using .22's and shotguns, 1 of the last nights i had to use shorts cos we were running low on ammo and im sure i hit a bunny from long range but it was like it didnt even feel it!! damn shorts, make you feel like your shooting duds!! Laughing

Quote:

i went shooting years ago in condobolin, we had vw combis with the roof cut out and gun racks in them and you would stand up and shoot while someone is driving chasen down a pig or roo...ah the days

thats sounds like it wouldve been awsome!!!

we only had a HiLux for spotlighting so most of your bidy would be exposed to the wind..

combi's is an awsome idea!!

[Updated on: Thu, 07 July 2005 22:42]

SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: weekend away shooting Fri, 08 July 2005 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke35 - 4AGZE wrote on Fri, 08 July 2005 08:39

yeah we were mainly using .22's and shotguns, 1 of the last nights i had to use shorts cos we were running low on ammo and im sure i hit a bunny from long range but it was like it didnt even feel it!! damn shorts, make you feel like your shooting duds!! Laughing

I hear ya buddy... what are they even for? Shorts are pretty useless for most things. Mad

The only good thing about them is that they are subsonic so if you manage to rig up a homemade silencer it would be pretty silent. Evil or Very Mad
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: weekend away shooting Fri, 08 July 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can't remember what sort of birds we shot at, it was 10 years or so ago now. Might have been black crows and pigeons etc.
unforgiven
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: weekend away shooting Fri, 08 July 2005 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I once threw a sausage at a pig...how ironic is that.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: weekend away shooting Fri, 08 July 2005 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends was it beef, chicken, pork or surprise sausage
unforgiven
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: weekend away shooting Fri, 08 July 2005 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
beef of course..chicken sausage? who am i, the queen?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: weekend away shooting Fri, 08 July 2005 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well if its beef it ain't ironic then is it it'd be funnier if you threw a pork sausage at her, hey chicken sausages are great don't knock em, expensive yeah but much better than beef ones which are still great. Nothing beats a good BBQ
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: weekend away shooting Fri, 08 July 2005 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or you could of whacked him on the head with a leg of ham that'd be a sight to see Very Happy
unforgiven
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: weekend away shooting Fri, 08 July 2005 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Imagine if a pig ate a chicken live......just...took it down.
ke35 - 4AGZE
Regular

April 2004
Re: weekend away shooting Fri, 08 July 2005 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: weekend away shooting Mon, 11 July 2005 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I do a fair bit of shooting. It's always good to get away from the big smoke. It's not really the slaying of the beasts but more the walk, the stalk and the talk that goes along with the whole outdoorsy experience. Smile
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: weekend away shooting Mon, 11 July 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bunkyT18 wrote on Mon, 11 July 2005 19:38

I do a fair bit of shooting. It's always good to get away from the big smoke. It's not really the slaying of the beasts but more the walk, the stalk and the talk that goes along with the whole outdoorsy experience. Smile

Yeah, it's a pity that you have to kill stuff when you go hunting... The perfect hunting trip would have the walk, stalk and talk but without the kill. I'd much rather if when you hit an animal instead of kill it just demoralise it and say "ha ha I got you... Now get the fuck out of here". Target shooting is lame, you need to have the animals but I'd rather not have to kill stuff.

Ps: I don't shoot anything but rabbits and foxes. At least I'm helping out the Australian animals and farmers each time I get one.
ke35 - 4AGZE
Regular

April 2004
Re: weekend away shooting Tue, 12 July 2005 09:12 Go to previous message
bunkyT18 wrote on Mon, 11 July 2005 19:38

very true

well said
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Anyone here running a IRCd and services?
Next Topic:Flodders aka Flodder Takes Manhattan aka Flodders in America
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:30:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067758560180664 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.