Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CTisse
Newcomer

July 2005
Lexus LS400 Tue, 12 July 2005 12:36 Go to next message
Hi.

In about 2 weeks at the earliest, I will be looking to buy a Lexus LS400. I have my eye on a grey '91 model, and I was just wondering if you guys had any info you could share with me about this car?

I may be looking to modify it, but not as soon as I get it.

Here are a few main questions I have:

- How good is the stock sound system? (especially subwoofer wise)

- Is it worth getting a new exhaust to increase the power? (not wake up the neighbours)

- What kind of effect would 18" rims on low profile tyres have on the handling and feel of the car? And if I lower it a bit?

- How much difference would 98 octane premium fuel make over regular unleaded?

- Does it matter if I get it serviced at Lexus or not for anything other than resale value?
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Lexus LS400 Tue, 12 July 2005 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1) NFI
2) Won't increase power hugely but will sound much better
3) NFI
4) Not a huge amount, but I would probably use normal premium at a minimum.
5) No
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Lexus LS400 Tue, 12 July 2005 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CTisse wrote on Tue, 12 July 2005 22:36

Hi.

In about 2 weeks at the earliest, I will be looking to buy a Lexus LS400. I have my eye on a grey '91 model, and I was just wondering if you guys had any info you could share with me about this car?

I may be looking to modify it, but not as soon as I get it.

Here are a few main questions I have:

- How good is the stock sound system? (especially subwoofer wise)

- Is it worth getting a new exhaust to increase the power? (not wake up the neighbours)

- What kind of effect would 18" rims on low profile tyres have on the handling and feel of the car? And if I lower it a bit?

- How much difference would 98 octane premium fuel make over regular unleaded?

- Does it matter if I get it serviced at Lexus or not for anything other than resale value?

- dont know but i assume pretty good when new, with it being that old it may lack a little now, i assume
- get one for yourself, wont make too much of a power increase but is always a good start and adds a nice note to the ride
- lowered on 18's would make the ride stiffer and better handeling. only downside is tyre price.
- always use %98 on your pride and joy, its what it deserves.
- dont think itll matter to much.
BOCKA
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Lexus LS400 Tue, 12 July 2005 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
- dont know but i assume pretty good when new, with it being that old it may lack a little now, i assume
- get one for yourself, wont make too much of a power increase but is always a good start and adds a nice note to the ride
- lowered on 18's would make the ride stiffer and better handeling. only downside is tyre price.
CTisse
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: Lexus LS400 Tue, 12 July 2005 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BOCKA wrote on Tue, 12 July 2005 23:28

When you talk about a downside to the tyre price, is that because they cost a lot in the first place or because they wear out quicker? I am prepared to spend up to $2,000 on a wheel and tyre package, probably from Tempe Tyres.

And as for the sound system, if I wanted to improve it what would be the best thing to do? I don't want to go overboard if its already a good system, but there must be some things I can do to increase the sound quality.
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Lexus LS400 Tue, 12 July 2005 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
While i'm not 100% certain, the stock speaker set up in my mate's UZZ30 sounded quite passable. I'm pretty sure LS400's feature a very similar / same set up. It's not going to win you any awards, but for general listening I wouldn't replace it.
Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Lexus LS400 Tue, 12 July 2005 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CTisse wrote on Tue, 12 July 2005 23:59

BOCKA wrote on Tue, 12 July 2005 23:28

When you talk about a downside to the tyre price, is that because they cost a lot in the first place or because they wear out quicker? I am prepared to spend up to $2,000 on a wheel and tyre package, probably from Tempe Tyres.

And as for the sound system, if I wanted to improve it what would be the best thing to do? I don't want to go overboard if its already a good system, but there must be some things I can do to increase the sound quality.

When he talks of tyre price being a downside its because they arent the same size as commodores and falcons, making hte tyres slightly more expensive.
GZ20TT
Occasional Poster

July 2002

Re: Lexus LS400 Wed, 13 July 2005 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,
Stock sound system is pretty good from all I've heard. Comes factory with like an 8 speaker system. Tweeters in the triangular door sails (where the side mirrors are), mids in the front doors, that sort of thing. Not sure on the sub though. Probably sounds better due to all the sound dampening in the car - nothing to interfere with the sound.

Yes - the V8 has a really bad set of exhaust headers - all the V8 soarer people say that headers are the best investment - than followed by the cats and rear mufflers. A cat-back will do stuff-all for power. I'm fairly certain there are locally made headers and systems that will bolt up to the Lexus.

18" Wheels/low profile tyres will give more transmitted noise - probably not much on the handling as the factory springs are set up for wafty ride and that'll affect handling more (and the car's weight).

I think premium is recommended for the V8.

The servicing is up to you - probably little difference since the Lexus gold service has probably lapsed - so you won't get all the perks taking it to Lexus. And at that age - I doubt resale matters anymore.

There is plenty of info over at
http://www.lexus.australia.as/
or look up planet soarer for more V8 power-up tips.

There was also a series of articles on Autospeed - but you need to subscribe to get all the articles.

Frankie
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Lexus LS400 Wed, 13 July 2005 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think i should be able to answer this one ok Smile Razz

1/ SOUND SYSTEM: they are pretty good out of the factory! However, the addition of an aftermarket head unit can throw all the quality away, if done incorrectly. The factory woofers tend to only be good up to med volume, above that they sound p00. I have also found that the factory door speakers sound great - but check them to see if the foam surrounds have perished.....

I have a few recommendations with sound systems here - what do you want to acheive, and what are you looking to replace??

2/ Exhaust will sound HORNY. Have a look at the ALSC and lextreme websites, they recommend a couple of good systems (recommended for teh SC400 - but virtually the same applies for you). I would more than anything recommend replacing the cat converter!

3/ 18" wheels will make a fair bit of difference!! The nice smooth ride from the factory will go away, leaving you with a far more direct feel with the road - meaning all the little bumps and stuff you never felt before, you now will. As for handling... it depends on if you are talking about an import Celsior with the airbags or local LS400 with coilsprung setup.... the airbags you can adjust to make it a little smoother... the springs you are stuck with what they provide.

4/ I would only use 95ron or greater!! The toyota V8 is designed for premium fuel... i only run mine on 98 Smile

5/ Bugger that for a joke!!! Toyota if you must use a dealer for servicing (lexus = toyota), or just find a GOOD mechanic you can trust, who KNOWS what your car is and how to work on it. I only allow myself to service my toyota V8 Smile
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Lexus LS400 Wed, 13 July 2005 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Wed, 13 July 2005 15:27

4/ I would only use 95ron or greater!! The toyota V8 is designed for premium fuel... i only run mine on 98 Smile

JDM vehicles, yes, 98 only.

But unless the AUSTRALIAN manual suggests 95 or better, then there will be minimal benefits to running 98 octane.

Remember, the LS400 was the only 1UZ released in Australia.
I wouldn't be surprised if the ADM ECU's have an ever so slightly different tune.
CTisse
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: Lexus LS400 Wed, 13 July 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Wed, 13 July 2005 17:27

i think i should be able to answer this one ok Smile Razz

1/ SOUND SYSTEM: they are pretty good out of the factory! However, the addition of an aftermarket head unit can throw all the quality away, if done incorrectly. The factory woofers tend to only be good up to med volume, above that they sound p00. I have also found that the factory door speakers sound great - but check them to see if the foam surrounds have perished.....

I have a few recommendations with sound systems here - what do you want to acheive, and what are you looking to replace??

2/ Exhaust will sound HORNY. Have a look at the ALSC and lextreme websites, they recommend a couple of good systems (recommended for teh SC400 - but virtually the same applies for you). I would more than anything recommend replacing the cat converter!

3/ 18" wheels will make a fair bit of difference!! The nice smooth ride from the factory will go away, leaving you with a far more direct feel with the road - meaning all the little bumps and stuff you never felt before, you now will. As for handling... it depends on if you are talking about an import Celsior with the airbags or local LS400 with coilsprung setup.... the airbags you can adjust to make it a little smoother... the springs you are stuck with what they provide.

5/ Bugger that for a joke!!! Toyota if you must use a dealer for servicing (lexus = toyota), or just find a GOOD mechanic you can trust, who KNOWS what your car is and how to work on it. I only allow myself to service my toyota V8 Smile

1. I will be listening to CDs which were converted from mp3 format (good bitrate mp3s though) so it wouldn't be wise to spend too much on upgrading the audio as it would be a waste. I like bass, but it has to be good quality, not just loud. Maybe I could just upgrade the subwoofer alone?

2. Thanks, I'll check that site out and see what they recommend.

3. Maybe lowering the car is not such a good idea, even if only a little. I don't want to butcher it. However I still insist on getting 18" wheels on low profile tyres. I don't want too soft of a ride.

4. 98 it is then.

5. I thought so. Well at least that'll save me a bundle.

Oh and I just want to add that I am looking at buying an Australian spec LS400. The Celsior has nicer features, but I am really drawn to the Lexus badge simply for the pose factor.

Edit: What about 18" rims on normal size tyres. Would that be a good idea or even look good?

[Updated on: Wed, 13 July 2005 10:35]

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Lexus LS400 Wed, 13 July 2005 10:39 Go to previous message
Here are the replies from an LS400 owning friend of mine:

How good is the stock sound system? (especially subwoofer wise) : the sound system is xclnt even for the standard pioneer setup, but it depends one how much its been hammered by the owner, if u r lucky they may have opt for the hi end Nakamichi setup, didn't hear it but, the name should suggest audiophile quality. all door speakes comes with its own chamber to tune the bass
so if you plan to upgrade get 4in speakers so they will fit right in
but they are the slim type, so big magnets are out of the question, the sound from the speakers and sub are adequate for normal humane levels, if u are a hard rocker, u will need to get the deep throw 10in sub accompanied by good amp if u want big bass.
this will help you to minimise the amount of custom work and replace the oem 10in

Is it worth getting a new exhaust to increase the power? (not wake up the neighbours), full xtractor setup will definitely get you more power, but don't go for two big cats, as the car is fairly low and u will definitely damage it over speed humps, trust me 3 time I got it replaced, get the lowest profile cat you get get or one wide low profile cat. But don't expect mircales!
its only one mod, you should consider airtake mods at the same time to get the full benefits. Plus if its done right is should sound very nice and deep but not loud, loud does not always correspond to more power, but each to their own taste and ricyness.
the main thing I notice was better acceleration response and slightly better top end power.

What kind of effect would 18" rims on low profile tyres have on the handling and feel of the car? And if I lower it a bit? 18in will look normal on the car as its a big car already. You may consider lowring it about 1 to 1.5in to get the better effect, but to have fulisik look 20in is not uncommon, but do you want fork out mega dollars for a tyre change. 18in will give you huge response
over the standard rim, you will get a lot better fed back and more confidence when you fling it around as there is less tyrewall flex. Which applies to all cars. remember its a heavy car.

How much difference would 98 octane premium fuel make over regular unleaded? the 1uzfe can not use regular unleaded, it will ping like crazy, only 98RON can be used, only in emergency should you use it.

Does it matter if I get it serviced at Lexus or not for anything other than resale value? if its a 91 model, I would not bother, its resell value does not justify the premium service. it would not make a difference where you service for a car of that age.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:HYP077 in zoom
Next Topic:Wheel Alignment settings... what you think?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 20:26:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048809051513672 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.