Toymods » Tech & Conversions » selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
celikar
Regular

September 2002
selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 05:49 Go to next message
Heya peoples I am building a dedicated track car for a new australian racing forumla and need a bit of help.

I am aiming for a track only car with 220rwkw with a total weight of 1100kgs.

I want to build it around a 1jzgte and am aiming to use the standard turbos, injectors and ecu. but i will be using 600 x 300 x 76 intercooler, bigger fuel pump and 3.5" exhaust with custom dumps.

First of all with out any major welding of firewalls what are the options for a small cheap chassis. keep in mind this car will not see road use just track so i am not too concearned about wether i will be able to get it registered. or what the shape/look of the car will be. so everything will be coming out of the car that dosent have to be there, interior will just be a steering wheel, drivers seat and thats about it. I will be doing all the fabrication my self

what i need to know is:

1. what will a 1jzgte fit into to that will keep the weight below 1100kgs? I would prefer a 70's model eg, ke10,15/ta22,23. I would prefer not to go the ae86 route... any other car suggestions?

2. What options are there for a manual gearbox for a 1jz?

3. Is 220rwkw realistic with the 1jz without changing the turbos or engine management?

4. Can the standard computer be remapped like a nissan computer?

Its been a while since i have worked on toyotas i have been working on rb20s and sr20s for the last 2 years but you just cant beet the performance to $$$$ ratio of a 1jz and not to mention the reliability. so i am going toyota this time.

Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1jz with custom dumps and a front mount will make 220rwkw easily - you'll more than likely get a few more. I've got 210, and that's with my turbos choking top end because of the standard dumps.

main problem you'll have with the ra23/ta22 chassis are that it'll be a really tight fit, even with a slim line thermo and 2core alloy radiator, and because it's so tight you're going to end up with a lot of wight over the front wheels.

I'm not even sure if anyone's tried to fit one to a KE10, but I can only think the above problems will be even more prnounced. and RA65 would probably do it for you, with the advantage of IRS, ad it would easily be below 1100kgs.

for a track car, even an ma61 would be below 1100kgs once you stip the interior. (mine is about 1350 wet weight, fully loaded with driver)
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1GG fits into KE30 just.. KE10.. take off maybe 20-30cm out of engine bay length = nochance.. heck the 4K with radiator and fan barely fits in there Wink

now if you were to mount the 1J halfway into the cabin you'd be onto something Smile. KE1x start at 720 bare, but track is small etc...

what formula are you building for? any online links?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona Shocked plenty of thai's throw 1jzgte's in em.
I reckon an Ra65 would be sweet, or an stripped ma61.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about a completely stripped Z10 soarer?

Least you'd have a good looking car for a track car then Wink

Plenty of room, too.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is a race car though, race cars are built to get hurt, think about availabilty of spare panels etc, hence and RA65 would make much more sense cos panels are much more readily available and cheap as shit, ie just buy a shitter for a couple 100 bucks Wink .

[Updated on: Tue, 12 July 2005 06:21]

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mx62 cressida or ra40 celica? Plenty of those around...
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
based on blake's new sig, no-one is ever allowed to pay me about about the length of my old one.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and as for gbox, you've got a few options.

there's the "agricultural" R154 (so called becuase it shifts like a tractor) - this will bolt straight up.
then there's the V160, getrag 6-speed. fantastic box, will never die, but pretty heavy and very expensive.

Most common option is to get the bellhousing off a 2jz-ge and bolt up a w58. it's relatively cheap, fairly light (compared to the previous 2) and is showing no signs of exploding behind my engine (although norbie has managed to kill a few, he has a lot more torque, and drives as though he is trying to kill the gbox)
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Tue, 12 July 2005 16:36

based on blake's new sig, no-one is ever allowed to pay me about about the length of my old one.

Well u better make urs big again then greg Wink

EDit: shit, if i listed all the mods done to my cars you would only get one post per page!

[Updated on: Tue, 12 July 2005 06:46]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
still got nothing on rthy sig when he quoted mookie's post in the fact thread it was like ten pages long Very Happy
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you will be pushing to get it to 1100kg if you are including driver. My car is a totally stripped xt130 corona which supposably weighs between 1000 and 1060kg standard and it weighs 1280kg with me (95kg) in it. You could squeeze it into a smaller car but then you are going to stuff up the weight distribution and I think the lower weight wouldn’t be of much help. Why not a 1g with single turbo into something smaller? They can make 220rwkw pretty easily and they are a bit shorter and lighter than a 1jz.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha my fact post has to be one of the longest in the history of toymods.

I'd put it in an XA6X celica they weigh fuck all and i belive the 1jzgte will fit in it ok.

best of luck with it i can't wait to see it when ur finished
celikar
Regular

September 2002
Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The racing class is still in the developmental stages and there is nothing on it floating around the net yet.

I am stuck on the 1jz as i want the engine as standard as possible. so that puts the 1gg out of the question.

How much does an ra65 weigh?

also did they all come with IRS?

Was the model with the coupe ugly ass back a ra65 as well as the hatch and did this weigh less?

Thanks for the many helpful replies guys Smile

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fwiw: a rally-prep'd MA61 (with a 5ME built up to a 6MGE) is nearly up to 1200Kg (wet but no humans).

that's with a decent roll cage, selective re-enforcing of spots on the chassis and commondoor brakes/coil-overs on the front.

if you really need 6 cyl then ra60/65; sa63; ra40; AE86 are most likely to get you close to 1100kg. Anything else will require firewall surgery.

but if you want IRS along with that package then you have to restrict yourself and possibly consider heavier bodies like ma61 or mz10

fwiw: wilbo & i are building a track car based on an MZ10. The weight target isn't that strict for us.

cheers,
Charles.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in terms of weight my rona only weighs 1080kg (live rear), and you could get an avante with irs that accepts f series lsd's with 4 wheel discs.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's 'cause you're a big fatty chris Razz
my anorexic girl's body will cut that weight down by 30kgs right there.

assuming 1350 wet weight for my car, by removing rear seats, passenger seat, saving 5kgs on a shell mounted race seat, no spare tyre, no trim, carpets, rooflining, no heater or aircon crap, remove most of the dash, I reckon cutting off 200kg wouldn't be too much of a chore.
that's without looking at any money spent on weight saving, or even getting serious (power windows replaced with manual lexane, ditch central locking, ditch power steering, etc)

I should also add that my 1350 includes big brakes up front, heavy thermos and all the piping you'll need.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and depending on budget, a 3s style celica like Shane's would be lighter ad still put out bags of power. but you're looking at thousands more for that.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd say RA40, not the hatch though.

To the question you haven't had any input on though, no the toyota computers can't be programmed like the Nissan ones.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
best thing about the RA40s is they're so ugly people will pay you to take their panels Smile
jkvsnn
Regular

June 2002
Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clubman.

Probably about 550kg to build a race one with 1JZ. You won't have to worry about panel damage then cause the field can be kept as far as you like behind you.

Julian.
colouring_in_book
Regular

May 2004
Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I am aiming for a track only car with 220rwkw with a total weight of 1100kgs.
standard turbos, injectors and ecu. but i will be using 600 x 300 x 76 intercooler, bigger fuel pump and 3.5" exhaust with custom dumps.

Can I ask why, for the specifics????
Are these class regulations???
What is the class???
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and a 3.5" exhaust for that little power is just extra weight. 3" is more than enough for your needs.
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does it have to be a Toyota shell? Cause they DO fit in S13 Silvias, which are pretty light, especially stripped.
Plus then you've got the luxury of easily available break / suspension upgrades.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Tue, 12 July 2005 16:23

mx62 cressida or ra40 celica? Plenty of those around...

OH

MY'

GOD

YES!!!

do it to an MX62 cressida.

YES.

DOOOOO ITTTTTTTT
GreyWolfe
Regular

January 2004

Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah do it to my mx62, you can borrow it on the weekends XD
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Tue, 12 July 2005 17:23

that's 'cause you're a big fatty chris Razz
my anorexic girl's body will cut that weight down by 30kgs right there.

OI! My mum says I am big boned Razz

On topic: I still think it is going to be difficult to get to that weight level if that is including driver. That means that the car would have to be just over 1000kg wet. The engine and box (if you use r154 it would be heavier than a340e I use) are very heavy so the base weight of the car would have to be around 900kg or less I would think. You also have to factor in the weight of a diff that can handle that power. I don't think it would make the weight break but I would be going with an s13 I think, mainly because of parts availabilty.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celikar wrote on Tue, 12 July 2005 17:20

The

How much does an ra65 weigh?

also did they all come with IRS?

Was the model with the coupe ugly ass back a ra65 as well as the hatch and did this weigh less?

I'm told the RA65 weighs just over 1000kg but don't quote me on that.

All but the RA60 came with IRS

The Ugly ass boot that looks like a fat person sat on it weighs a bit more than the lift back I THINK

I think so because my mate has one and his can't break traction or get anywhere near mine
petespipes
Regular

July 2005
Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can i join the chorus for more info on the class please?
The 225rwkw is there at 15psi provided your exhaust flows VERY well.If you are required to have cat converter ensure its up to the task or use 2 to ensure no flo block.hollow ones are good but I like breathing so dont do that.
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Tue, 12 July 2005 16:36

I agree.

"My ego's bigger than yours..."

hehehe
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra65 is a bit over 1100 from memory.
celikar
Regular

September 2002
Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, a bit more on the class.

it has been labled "compact import improved production"

and what i have on it sofar is.

no more than 1KW per 5KG
vehicle weight no less than 700kg
vehicle weight no more than 1150kg
engine can be of capacity between 1000 - 2530cc (keeps out rb260
engine must use original induction accessories and management
brakes and driveline must be the same manufacturer as the chassis

thats all i mnkw so far. will have a chat to my dad later to find out a bit more.

so it looks like the ra65 is the go.
I have a bit more weight than i thought. The reason i chose the 1jz is its the easiest engine to get 220rwkw out of without induction changes.

so the ra65 will fit the bill perfectly.

guess i better start hunting for some coilovers and brakes. Wink

the 1jz weighs 200kgs complete
from my research the ra65 rolling shell with suspension, brakes, no interior but a 1/2 cage and drivers seat will weigh between 780 and 830.
and i am guessing the gearbox will weigh 50 - 60 kgs

so we are looking at 1090 dry! looks good sofar!!!

the weight limit is without driver Wink

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RA65 is a good option. The brakes and suspension are very similar to the MA61 so you'll find plenty of info here about upgrades. Another good thing about the RA65 is it has an F series diff which will actually survive behind a 1JZ. Just grab an LSD centre out of an MA61 (or an aftermarket one) and you're set!
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Tue, 12 July 2005 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You better find out if a 6 can go where a 4 used to reside. Most of these classes tend not to allow such a change. Also see if turbo motors have a capacity multplier such that the largest capacity turbo motor would aactually be 2530 divided by the capacity multiplier. Some of the sports car classes have such stipulations. I would be getting the class regs and having a really good look at them.

Best bet will then be a an MX32. They are actually very light - I think they are lighter than all suggestions thus far and have enough engine bay to not necessitate a rack and pinion conversion (which I'm sure will also be unallowable).

Personally, I would be looking at 240Z - RB25DET combo as class leading. Another option would be 13BT - RX3 (if the rotor actually squeezes in, but I think it may just pip you - they also are rated as 2.6 litre - you should seek clarification).

If you are really only allowed NA motors, I'd be looking at SR16DE Neo/SR20DE into Datto 1200/120Y, 20V into KE20 or BEAMS 3SGE TA23.
celikar
Regular

September 2002
Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Wed, 13 July 2005 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes i have checked about the 6cyl being allowed and thats ok.

the 2.5lt capacity is even allowed turbocharged as long as ite intake system is standard. this means turbos, fuel, and original maf or afm. I have asked about the intercooler and aftermarket intercoolers are allowed as long as they were available at the time of engine and chassis manufacture. so i will be looking for a r32 gtr intercooler aswell Smile.

Hey norbie, whats the weight balance like in your car? have you ever taken it to the track? or even drifted it? what mods were required to fit the 1jz?

what crossmember did u use ect? did you need a special sump?

are coilovers easily available ofr the ra65?

I just ordered me a 1JZGTE halfcut from a chaser. its auto but I already have a manual computer on the way Smile
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Wed, 13 July 2005 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
errr norbie has a 2jzgte Very Happy
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Wed, 13 July 2005 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
norbie has a 2j.
You'll need a front sump, which fortunately the chaser has Smile

if brakes have to be same maufacturer, I assume you're going to be looking for some mk4 supra brakes, or something similar?
Jezza
Regular

June 2002
Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Wed, 13 July 2005 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think you should be looking at less power

i think u will find 220kw in a 1100kg car to be much more than u need, id concentrate on getting the handling & brakes sorted before i worried about power

anyone can get more power, but to make a car handle and stop well takes much more effort/finesse
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Wed, 13 July 2005 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you'll have to use custom-made/fabbed/setup coil-overs - search here as there's been quite a few threads about converting front Macpherson stuts to coil-over.

can you post up some more info about this class when you get it?

am just curious if is this an IPRA class? am just cruising thru the IPRA racing ezeboard on <http://www.iprasa.mx.com.au/links.htm> but can't find reference to it. I recall that CAMS were ammending regulations to allow some specific low-volume imports to race in IPRA (specifically sylvia) - this is sort-of related to that?

Also - will you have to use a restrictor in front of the turbos? the IPRA turbos all have a 36mm restrictor (just 50mm infront of the compressor turbine!) unless the turbo configuration is as per factory, there are no mods to the induction system and the engine compression/capacity is as per factory specs.

good luck!
charles.

[Updated on: Wed, 13 July 2005 01:31]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Wed, 13 July 2005 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
umm.. 1kW/5kg.... 220 RWKW... am i mising something here or are you overestimating the power that you can have?
220kw flywheel kw is a fair bit less than 220rwkw..
celikar
Regular

September 2002
Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Wed, 13 July 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the class does not require restrictors infront of the turbo Smile

I really dont know anything more about the class yet. I dont even know who is organising it. I will have to ask my dad all about it when i see him is a couple of weeks. he overseas ATM.

from what i can see its a derivative on "improved production"

differences being there are weight limits and they are allowing imports to compete aswell. so it will be a really varied feild.

I wanted to go the AW11 with a 4agte but they wont allow it. Sad
and i am trying to keep the budget below $9000. so it rules out a properly set up 3sgte later model mr2.

and whoever said about the rotaries was correct. they are listed as being a 2.6 litre! and i dont want a lawnmower anyway they are fun but not my thing...

I love the power delivery of an inline six. and I have already ordered the 1jzgte so I am stuck with it!!!

so does anyone on these forums have a 1jz in a ra65? I would be very interested in having a look/ride on one.

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Wed, 13 July 2005 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celikar wrote on Wed, 13 July 2005 10:55

Hey norbie, whats the weight balance like in your car? have you ever taken it to the track? or even drifted it? what mods were required to fit the 1jz?

what crossmember did u use ect? did you need a special sump?

As mentioned I have a 2JZ-GTE and I put it in an MA61 Supra so my experience probably isn't much help to you. If you're concerned about weight balance you should have a good think about using an MA61 chassis; it's actually built around a long heavy inline six so the balance will be much better than shoehorning a 1JZ into the shorter RA65. Yes there will be a weight penalty using the MA61 chassis, but after the engine conversion is done I reckon there will be stuff-all difference and the better balance will probably make it worthwhile. You also get to run bigger tyres in the standard guards, which is a major bonus if you're restricted in that area too.
Jezza
Regular

June 2002
Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Wed, 13 July 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as for rotaries, why not go for a 12a, either na or turbo

great fun, free revving engines, and they are only a 2.4L engine Very Happy
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Wed, 13 July 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cause he's already got the 1J on the way? And I'd hazzard a guess at saying that a stock 1j will easily out perform a stock 12a.
celikar
Regular

September 2002
Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Wed, 13 July 2005 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Wed, 13 July 2005 11:46

umm.. 1kW/5kg.... 220 RWKW... am i mising something here or are you overestimating the power that you can have?
220kw flywheel kw is a fair bit less than 220rwkw..

I am not sure i follow you.

The 1jz is capable of putting out 220rwkw correct?
the vehicle weight i am aiming at is 1100kgs

devide 1100 by 220 and you get 5.

so that means 5kg per KW. but if my conversions are not right please let me know Smile

I am not taking a stab, just dont not sure what u mean Smile
Jezza
Regular

June 2002
Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Wed, 13 July 2005 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
he means flywheel power vs rear wheel power

flywheel output will be higher than power at the wheels, it depends on what the requirement is on what you need to match

and i was talking about a 12a for someone else, i can see he has purchased a 1j already
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Wed, 13 July 2005 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jezza wrote on Wed, 13 July 2005 13:15

he means flywheel power vs rear wheel power

flywheel output will be higher than power at the wheels, it depends on what the requirement is on what you need to match

thats the one.. most classes of racing where power is restricted are classified by flywheel kw, not rwkw... you should check carefully or you might have a heavy motor detuned to stay within limits.....

or just rev limit it to 4000rpm Wink

i also think that where you have power limits, an SC comes into it's own.. less rpm = less power, but you can have shitpiles of torque everywhere.. none of this lag crap Wink
Jezza
Regular

June 2002
Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Wed, 13 July 2005 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also consider your weight balance when putting a 1j in something

u want to keep it as close as u can to 50/50, but with a 200kg donk up front, consider how you will balance that out at the rear
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Wed, 13 July 2005 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Wed, 13 July 2005 09:46

Best bet will then be a an MX32. They are actually very light - I think they are lighter than all suggestions thus far and have enough engine bay to not necessitate a rack and pinion conversion (which I'm sure will also be unallowable).

Turbos + Steering box = prbly not going to fit without custom rack and pinion setup....

MX62 would be interesting, but not really that light and no IRS such as the RA65, MZ10 and MA61 (stupid E series, I guess you could put a MS112 etc F series in, but weight then becomes an issue..)...also have a steering box (prbly foul the turbos) and a stupidly large number of turns lock to lock!

If the class allows imports this could be a good class for me and thechuckster to look into Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Wed, 13 July 2005 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wilbo666 wrote on Wed, 13 July 2005 13:50

If the class allows imports this could be a good class for me and thechuckster to look into Smile

Yeah... this is the bit that interests me -

After speaking with Terry O'Beirn today about big boys toys i think it's safe to say the nnearly all cams racing classes require an homologated car or australian delivered model of car (unless it's an historic or sports thing that requires you to own a ferrari or something else exotic).

Apart from a specific relaxing of the rules for IPRA (to allow the sylvia in as they're as common as now) there's not much open to you category-wise (i think that's the right word) if you want to race a low-volume import. However, that doesn't stop you doing super sprints, motorkhana, etc where the regs are based around safety of the vehicle. Very Happy

... heads off persue cams web site to confirm suspicions...

(sorry for the post hijak) Very Happy

[Updated on: Wed, 13 July 2005 05:40]

Jezza
Regular

June 2002
Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Wed, 13 July 2005 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IPR cars are allowed on the basis of homologation, as is it be have been homologated as a touring car, OR, it must be proven to meet the requirements of being a touring car. now i dont know what those requirements are but various cars have been allowed into IPR due to being proved to meet the critea (ie. 1st gen Rx7's which were homologated as a "sports car")

it is just a very long drawn out process for it to happen
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Wed, 13 July 2005 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is the thread i created about using a 1jzgte in an XA6X Celica.

I hope there is some usfull info in it for you.

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=68931&rid=3868&S=9ce03b5d4a3fff067b595bc 60d44714f

EDIT: forgot to add the link

[Updated on: Wed, 13 July 2005 06:33]

colouring_in_book
Regular

May 2004
Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Wed, 13 July 2005 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

The reason i chose the 1jz is its the easiest engine to get 220rwkw out of without induction changes.

Hey champ, I am not sure as to whether you have considered it this way or not?

1kw/5kg right!

Vehicle can weigh no less than 700kg and no more than 1150kg.

In either event any engine or any car you decide on cannot exceed a power to weight ratio of 1kw/5kgs!

So if you have a 1150kg vehicle with 230kw max (according to your equation, you will be allowed 230kw)
What would be the difference in having a:
700kg car with 140kw??????

Just a thought.

May widen your choices to a car you actually like and an engine you like which in turn may end up easier to fit in!
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: selecting a chassis for a 1jzgte track car Wed, 13 July 2005 10:23 Go to previous message
Yeah a 700kg 140kw car , would be easier on brakes , tyres , and handle better . So why would anyone bother with any cars above 1000kg ?, most two litre sport sedans weigh between 700-1000kg . Ofcourse there rules will allow more modifications than this "compact import improved production" .

The toyota six cylinder cars running in the sport sedan , 2litre here in Victoria are that yellow Rx7 series 4 , and open class a 1g in a MZ soarer ? that Avo sponsored i think . Unfortunately both are way behind in those classes , maybe its not the motor . But i dont see that there has every been a successful straight six cylinder in a class which allows engine modifications , V6 yes lots of victorys , so this new class might close this gap with the restrictions on the engines . But everyone cheats anyway Laughing

With the classification of classing a car a SPORTS CAR , in the case which has been progressing for a long time is a Alfa GTV which is called a 2+2 coupe in lots of countrys racing . But here is classed as a sport car due to the size of the rear seat , which is somehow smaller than the RX7 series one . So you might also want to check on if you use a coupe that it doesn't get classes the same , Lucky AE86's have large rear seats Smile .

My money would be on the cars which GT has already list " SR16DE Neo/SR20DE into Datto 1200/120Y, 20V into KE20 " but if they class the rules as per that other improved limited class some front wheel drive cars might be more a pick due to the large amounts of engines available . Maybe if they do a original manufacturer of vehicle , must have the same make of motor etc i would be going out for a Mk2 golf with R32 running gear .
Whats the tyre ruling going to be to , this alway's disadvantages larger heavier cars made to run large profile skinny tyres ?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:mx83 struts
Next Topic:ae92 bellhousing to crossmember engine mount....
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 00:16:17 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0072059631347656 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.