Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » What would you do?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
froodogs
Regular

October 2002
icon5.gif  What would you do? Fri, 17 January 2003 01:19 Go to next message
So it breaks down like this:

You've got a sprinter with a 4age, upgraded brakes and suspension. It's been in a few bingles, has rust in the guards, the fuel tank mounts, and a few other places on the chassis/panels, and is a little bit 'crabby/shaky'.

You buy a sprinter 'wreck' with the intention of stripping it down to a bare chassis and selling it off for scrap or to someone who wants to build it up. after stripping it you realise that this shell is straight as they come, and has been kept in a desert, so there is next to no rust. The shell is not licenced, and is painted a disgusting mint green colour. You do not have much money.

Do you:

a) cry in your sleep about seeing the best sprinter shell you've ever seen go to some other monkey, or to a scrap metal merchant...

b) devote a long weekend and several cartons of beer to transferring the entire contents/trim/mechanicals of your car into the other shell, and try to get it relicenced at the slight risk of ending up with no licenced car, and sell off your original shell as a 'licenced rolling shell'.

c) save the shell until you can afford to build more parts from another source into it, and then sell off your current car as a whole...

how long do you guys think it would take to move all the shit from one shell to another? worth the effort to have a 'straight and rust free shell'?

zack: if you read this, i'm pretty sure you're thinking the same thing as me about this shell. i'm sure we'll discuss this tonight.
  Send a private message to this user    
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What would you do? Fri, 17 January 2003 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depending on the contition of either shell
you could sell one to me Very Happy
I only need a shell with straight chassis rails,
rear hatch/rear bumper and rear taillghts(not necessarly tail lights as i know Sam still has a set), as long as there is no structural rust.
i have everything elso to make the whole car...

OHH i just realised your in perth would make in interesting trip just to pick up a shell

Ben
AE86 Trueno 4AGE

[Updated on: Fri, 17 January 2003 02:00]

froodogs
Regular

October 2002
Re: What would you do? Fri, 17 January 2003 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
selling it is obviously the option that is 'most likely to occur' on the list, but keep in mind the shell is in perth, and you are in sydney. if you are still seriously interested, then this really is the shell for you. it has only the tiniest tickles of rust here and there, and the rails are dead straight.
what did you want to do with the car?
froodogs
Regular

October 2002
Re: What would you do? Fri, 17 January 2003 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
someone else has suggested bolting my stuff into the car and then just swapping the licence plates and chassis/compliance plates over. i imagine there are some legal/technical difficulties involved with this. thoughts?
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What would you do? Fri, 17 January 2003 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LMFAO!!! You guys sound like a wannabe CHOP SHOP!! Very Happy

But seriously.... would you not also have to cut out the VIN and weld it into place on the shell that is good??
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: What would you do? Fri, 17 January 2003 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd go for option d) sell them both and buy a Celica Very Happy

If you do want a Sprinter and the one you have is stuffed then by all means transfer all the good bits into the shell. It shouldn't take too long (couple of big weekends), especially if you are offering beer to your mates. You can cash in your rego to help with roadworthy and rego on the new one.

I personally wouldn't bother unless the engine and suspension and everything else is in good condition. You would be better off selling the lot and starting again with a decent car
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What would you do? Fri, 17 January 2003 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I agree with that too Gold28.....
except for the Option D celica thingy!! Rolling Eyes
froodogs
Regular

October 2002
Re: What would you do? Fri, 17 January 2003 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my engine, suspension, and brakes are all in v good condition, with the exception of the front right strut (bent) and i can obtain a replacement for that from the wreck in question.

2 things that slightly influence my decision on the topic are as follows:

I don't really have access to the sort of facility i'd need to be able to do this as quickly as i'd like.

BUT

A mate is on v. good terms with the local 'pits' so getting the car licenced shouldn't be that hard...

edit: my gearbox is on its way out, but so are 95% of T50's in the world so...

[Updated on: Fri, 17 January 2003 03:19]

ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What would you do? Fri, 17 January 2003 03:22 Go to previous message
Depending on how things go with my current Trueno shell within the next few weeks i might have to start to build a new Rally Car Crying or Very Sad
As someone who has owned the car in the past has done the dodgy on it and put The plates from an AUS delivered sprinter on there, and it may not pass rego because they didnt do it properly Sad
PS. IT WASNT ME

Cheers
Ben

AE86 Trueno 4AGE
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Making a custom manifold
Next Topic:emmissions on a 1jz-gte 1984 ma61
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 02:22:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0033619403839111 seconds