Toymods » Tech & Conversions » newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
pinkytamz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 00:35 Go to next message
hi all i have a problem with the engine that i have fitted into my toyota surf . ill start by saying that i have checked all the other post and tech info and it sounds to me that i may have an odd ball ECM ? what i have is a 6m-ge with a 5mg engine control ( part No.89661-22150) this ECM has 3 plugs that go to the ECM a 10p+18p+24 pin plugs and the only wires that i am having problems with is the OX SENSOR + KNK SENSOR as all the wiring diagrams that i have found on the web and from the local toyota shop show that the OX SENSOR is pin 17 of the 18 pin plug and the KNK SENSOR is at pin 16 of the 18 pin plug but when i go to the location of the plugs there are no wires there and not fitted to the loom do these sensors go to the body first and then back to the ecm . so am i going batty i hope not can any one help a newbie out . thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm sorry not going to be much help here, but do you have a copy of the pin outs!? I have been trying to find these everywhere but with no luck.

The best diagram i've been able to find is -
http://4wd.net.nz/supra/5Mcircuit.gif
pinkytamz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi i think i have all the wiring dirgrams for 5m's and 7m's what one do you need the only i havent got is the one i need IE. odd ball 6m-ge
pinkytamz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep ( 4wd .co.nz ) is a mate of mine and that wiring is of the older type 5m-ge . only has 2 plugs newer type have 3 plugs here is the thing as i came to know that most toyota ecm . have the pin outs printed on the in side of the case but i think the later models dont
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah the one i'm working on has 3 plugs, and inside the ecu the pins are not marked on the circuit which is making it really hard Sad
pinkytamz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what engine do you have ...........i have e-mailed you a sample of what i have
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a 5mge engine from a mx73 cressida i think.
pinkytamz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok what is the part No on the ECM . i will send you what i have dose your enging have a knock sensor and have you looked at the engine number on the block it on the right side just under the alternater should say 5mxxxx or 6mxxxx i only ask as thay look the same but are not
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What ecu are you wiring it up to Pinky?

The early 5MGE ecu will not have knock sensor and o2 sensor inputs.

Only the late 5MGE ecu will have those inputs.
pinkytamz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am wiring up a 6m-ge that came with a 5mg ecm ... i have it running and it goes like nuts just running rich as i cant find the pins for th o2 and knk sensor at the ecm.ps check your email
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If its the early 5mge ecu then its no plug and play compatible with the 6mge electronics.

The early 5mge has completely different electronics to the late model 5mge.

The late 5mge has the same electronics to the 6mge.

Whats the part number on the 5mge ecu you have?

If it doesn't have o2 sensor and knock sensor inputs then its most likely the early one.

You'll have to use the early 5mge TPS and distributor, or retrofit 5me stuff.
pinkytamz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could it be that the shop i brought the engine and ecm from did not have the correct ecm for the engine and just found one that the plugs fitted into as from what i understand all the other wirers are in the same place ... IE ....EO1-EO2 -=BATT=IG\SW...+B what do you think.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No where will actually have a proper 6MGE ecu.

Your only options are to get it working on the old 5MGE ecu, with 5ME parts, or source an MX73 5MGE ecu and use that.

Rod had a couple for sale here
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=59511&rid=4164&S=d8aded7b4cbeb1a7bbd68e8 63d400d13&pl_view=&start=0#msg_553571

pinkytamz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi the part No is .....89661-22150 then it has ND 175000-0320]12v it has 3 plugs to it a 10p+18p+24pin plugs
pinkytamz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so what you are saying is that the ecm that came with the engine is no good and cant be wired up coreclty
pinkytamz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep my ecm looks the same as in the other post and i was told that my engine came out of a mx73 dose this help?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can I just get a couple of things straight first.

You said the loom you have doesn't have the knock sensor and o2 sensor wires correct?
Does the ECU have the pins there, or are they missing?

Does the dizzy have a vacuum advance port on it?
Is the TPS round or square?
pinkytamz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi ok the engine has the o2 and knk sensor fitted but have not found the wires that go to them (cut loom)...... as for the pins at the ecm plugs where the wiring diagram shows them to be thay are not there . there are pins at the ecm but not at the plug ......as for the dizz it is not vecuum and sorry to be a dumb kiwi but what is TPS
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like you may have the 6MGE dizzy still installed (I know my 5MGE dizzy had 5MGEU sticker on it)

I know when my 6MGE MX73 conversion was done they reused the 5MGE distributor, so maybe the 6MGE one has different plugs, I don't know.

Since you have a cut loom, I'd say your best bet would be to get a complete loom and ecu from a 5MGE MX73 Cressida, or a Series 2 5MGE MS123 Crown.
pinkytamz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your lucky iam at home .... the dizzy reads as toyota ...19100-43120...next line 029100-8771 then 5m-ge \11025
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like somebody has already swapped it to a 5mge one.

The TPS is the black box on the side of the throttle body.

Early 5MGE's had square ones, late 5MGE's had round ones.
pinkytamz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
changing the loom and ECM seams to be a lot of work as i have the engine running it just rich .. when i said the loom was cut i ment that the main engine loom was not cut but the wires and plugs to the o2 and knk where cut would i be right in saying that the o2 and knk sensor wiring went to the body wiring first and then through to the ecm as i dont know. IT JUST RUNNING RICH
pinkytamz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep mine is a square one with a round plug..this help
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like you have a bit of a mix n match.

The TPS will probably be a 3 wire correct?

I'm pretty sure the 6MGE will run a 4 wire TPS (as per late 5MGE's), and the 4th wire is an IDL switch I think.

Tells the ECU when the motor is at 'idle' and to trim the fuel accordingly.

Also connecting an o2 sensor will definately save a bit of fuel.
pinkytamz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi i hope your not getting sick of me yet as i am sitting at home with broken ribs ( fell out of the shower) so i have lots of time to get this sroted ........ my TPS is a 6 wire ...and how would i wire up a o2 sensor if i dont know where it goes to on th ecm do i just have a guess??
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
6 wire TPS's are definately early 5MGE.

They were designed for the autobox, so the box knows what position the TPS was in.

As for the o2 input, the ECU needs to have the pin there.
If the ECU is an early 5MGE ecu, it won't have the pin there (at least not from my experience)

Open the ECU up, see if anything is written on the board near the pins.
pinkytamz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
had the lid off and no terminals named . i find it strange that the engine has the o2 sensor fitted but not wired in to the system
pinkytamz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when you say the ecm wont have the pin fitted to you mean the pin wont be fitted into the ecm or not fitted to the ecm plug
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its probably because you have an early 5MGE ecu which doesnt use an o2 sensor.

I'd say you would still have a vacuum advance dizzy, because I doubt the early 5MGE ecu can control the electronic dizzy from the late 5MGE.

My best guess is that someone has put the 6MGE into an 82-83 MA61 Supra that had the early 5MGE in it and used all the 5MGE electronics.

Very common to do.

I'll try and find out tonight which pin is the o2 sensor input.
I think I have it written down.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pinkytamz wrote on Wed, 13 July 2005 12:21

when you say the ecm wont have the pin fitted to you mean the pin wont be fitted into the ecm or not fitted to the ecm plug

The pin may or may not be in the actual ECU.
If its there, it may go nowhere (ie, will be connected to the PCB, but no wires lead from the connection)
Otherwise where the pin would normally go would be blank
pinkytamz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ha thanks duda that would be good as for the dizzy it is electronic as i have to bridge E1 AND T to set the timing
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok then, if the timing does change when you bridge the terminals then you DEFINATELY do have a late model 5MGE ecu.

Hhaha, we are going in circles.

God knows why you have the old style TPS though.
Does it look like there is some cutting and soldering around there?

LAte model 5MGE ecu's do have knock sensor and o2 sensor inputs.
I'll see if I can dig up my notes tonight.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Look at this pic.

http://www.toymods.org.au/~rod/Parts/5M-GE%20ECU's.jpg

ECU on the left, 18P plug, two shielded wires, light brown sheaths.

One is o2, one is knock.
pinkytamz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok your saying the 2 brown wires in the 18 pin plug are the ones i need to hook up yes..
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, but to determine which is which you'll need to get a pinout.
pinkytamz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
himm what to do ...i was reading through some toyo books on the 6m's and it might not be that bad if i know the colour and i now do = light brown this book si all tech .... info on toyo systems it states that to test the o2 wiring at the ecm . is this locate the pin with the use of a multimeter the o2 pin should emit 11v with key on and 0 volts with the engine running
pinkytamz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ohoh i'getting excited Smile Smile
pinkytamz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good news got lucky now have the warning working but giving diagnostic code 51 = neatral start switch of or air con.. switch on is there a way to get around this as i am not running the air con or a auto gear box
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Basically to do the diagnostics properly, the car has to be in a few conditions.

The TPS has to be in IDL
The A/C has to be switched OFF
And the shifter has to be in Park or Neutral.

Getting code 51 means that either the A/C is switched ON, or the shifter is not in the correct position.

Since you don't have a shifter per se, I'd say the ECU doesn't think you are in Neutral.

You will either have to ground the NSW pin on the ecu or give it +12v. I'm not sure which one.
pinkytamz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi yep just had a look at some wiring diagrams and it look's like it will get ground'ed . did you find the info you were looking for . i had a look at the 18 pin plug and only 1 brown wire
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not home yet
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, checked my notes.

18P plug, bottom row, far right.
Far right is the o2 sensor sheild, one left of that is o2 sensor signal.

I have WHITE/LIGHT GREY written down, so that could be signal colour.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the o2 should not make it run very rich

heaps of toyotoasout there with o2 not hooked up

make sure u have the injectors to suit the ecu

so if u have 5m ecu u really should use 5m injectors

i dont know alot bout those shgit old engines as theyre a waste of time so im not sure if injectors are same between models

but u need ot check cause maybe the 6m injecotrs flow more fuel at the same time as the 5m therefore making it run rich

this is common prob when people run 86kw ecu on a 100kw engine and forget to changethe injectors
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
6mge injectors are the same as 5mge ones.

And many 5mge owners have found that the car runs stupidly rich without the o2 sensor.

Its about the only motor I know of that does it.
pinkytamz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Wed, 13 July 2005 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what do you mean by .....o2 sensor sheild
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Thu, 14 July 2005 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The o2 sensor signal, much like the knock sensor signal, is very susceptible to electrical interference.

The both run a shield wire along the entire length of the wire from the ecu to the sensor.
This shield wire helps to prevent interference.
pinkytamz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Thu, 14 July 2005 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have checked the 18 pin plug and 18 of 18 is an earth as for code 51 put tester on it and it has 12 v at the pin N\C. i dont know what to do with it i cant earth it out as it will short and cant put 12 v on it as it allready has 12v what to do next.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Thu, 14 July 2005 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From what I can decifer on the diagrams pin N/C is supposed to get +12v given to it with the key in 'START'

Not sure why you have what you have.
pinkytamz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Thu, 14 July 2005 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what do you think i should do try to find a new loom that hasent been fucked with .but it will be hard to find the correct loom and engine in NZ took me 3 months to find the engine i have now
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Thu, 14 July 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any 86-88 Cressida should have a 5MGE and loom to suit.
Should be able to pick one up from a wreck for a couple of hunj.

I ran my 6MGE on my 86 Cressida 5MGE loom for 4 years.
Never had any running errors.

You say its running very rich.
Are ALL the cylinders running rich, or just a couple.
Condition of spark plugs should tell you.
pinkytamz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Thu, 14 July 2005 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i will go and have a look at the plugs .............ive got 2 very old 5m-ge ecm with all the sensors but would have to make a loom it's the ecm with only 2 plugs what do you think?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Thu, 14 July 2005 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'd be much better off using something complete.
pinkytamz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Thu, 14 July 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok can you give me all the model No. i will need to get the correct one
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Thu, 14 July 2005 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The ECU number I had was 89661-30160

From what I could tell the 6MGE ran my 5MGE dizzy, and the 5MGE throttle body (along with the 5MGE TPS).

I can't comment about any other of the electronics as at the time I knew very little about cars so I paid the importer to put it in for me.
pinkytamz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Thu, 14 July 2005 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm going to the wrackers on friday to find a mx 73 .. will it be posball to plug the new ecm into my loom and then wire up the o2 sensor
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Thu, 14 July 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure.
I've never compared 5MGE ecu's.
And its not that well documented.
pinkytamz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Thu, 14 July 2005 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi.....do you know what the ECT COMPUTER is
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Thu, 14 July 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Computer to control the Auto Trans.

Its not needed.
pinkytamz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Thu, 14 July 2005 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have had a good look at all the wiring and looked at all the plugs and there is no wirers that have sheild"s on them . going to get new loom and ecm
bexi
Regular

May 2002

Re: newbie needs help with 6m-ge pin-outs Mon, 18 July 2005 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
i have 5me electrics running me 6mge motor and is running incredibly rich
i have no O2 sensor at all but if i put an O2 sensor in, is there such a spot on the ecu of a 5me for an o2 sensor??
maybe this is my problem with why it's running so stupidly rich??
bexi
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Hyperboost -how to hold boost up top
Next Topic:5MGE help
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 04:51:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.011063098907471 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.