Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Big-end bearing failure with pics - 6 mo since rebuild - any ideas?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Big-end bearing failure with pics - 6 mo since rebuild - any ideas? Mon, 11 July 2005 12:30 Go to next message
This rolla made it to the last (like, not this one, the one before) dyno day and was the highest power 16v 4AGE on the day.

We suspected gone bearings and had our suspicions confirmed today.

What do you think could have caused this? This whole engine was cleaned up and made ready for re-assembly professionally (Dominator), ie machined crank, oversize pistons, machined bores, new bearings etc etc etc

How crazy does it look! Like the bearings have just had chunks torn out of them!

#4 piston (strangely) was the worst one, but they are all scored. #2 has some damage too. Oil pressure was great upon rebuild and the head seems fine.

http://www.roblincolne.com/pix/DSC07577.jpg

http://www.roblincolne.com/pix/DSC07578.jpg

http://www.roblincolne.com/pix/DSC07580.jpg

What do you guys reckon?

[Updated on: Mon, 11 July 2005 12:31]

Send a private message to this user    
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Big-end bearing failure with pics - 6 mo since rebuild - any ideas? Mon, 11 July 2005 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
excessive timing
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Big-end bearing failure with pics - 6 mo since rebuild - any ideas? Mon, 11 July 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any chance you could email me a hi res version of the second pic?

what bearings are they? why did the soft metal (if it has any) delaminate? etc etc

edit: bearing contact can only occur when there is insufficient oil pressure to maintain the oil film.. either there was not enough oil for the forces being exerted or the rpm (high rpm sheds oil faster for a given clearance) or maybe the clearance was just too tight?

hmmmm, are those bearings lined up in order? and 4 was worst?

unbalanced flywheel (where ealse does the force go), or bent crank?

were there any funny vibrations when it was going??

[Updated on: Mon, 11 July 2005 12:54]

SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Big-end bearing failure with pics - 6 mo since rebuild - any ideas? Mon, 11 July 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a curse!

my bottom end went today. with the biggest knock you'll ever hear.

it made 140kw at dd11 last week! a/f looked all fine i thought the engine was dying.. but now its dead

2 other mates cars have bottom ends go too.

and the guy who towed my car tonight one of his clients also had a bottom end go.. LOL

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Big-end bearing failure with pics - 6 mo since rebuild - any ideas? Mon, 11 July 2005 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah timing was standard, and the car ran premium

oldcorollas -> do you want to PM me your email? or I can reply if you want to send me one I am "toymodsATroblincolne.com"

I would love to send a high-res, I only took it at 640x480 though, not really high-res, I can take more on Wed.

I would IMAGINE that the bearings are high-quality coming from a toymods sponsor. (The pistons we bought through them were ACL.) The job seemed quite good.

I was thinking somewhere a blocked gallery? And if the engine was cleaned up to spec, then this is also unlikely, and the pressure was high... Confused

The installation was very careful with everything oiled before being placed together.

edit: I mean REALLY, what would cause bearings to just lose the plot like this other than no oil at all!?

[Updated on: Mon, 11 July 2005 13:00]

barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: Big-end bearing failure with pics - 6 mo since rebuild - any ideas? Mon, 11 July 2005 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had a bearing that looked similar to that in nmber 3 on my 18rgeu when i bought it.
previous owner said they had the crank hardened and polished.
when i pulled the engine apart i noticed the bearing that looks similar to your picture.
an incredibly close loook of the crank (magnifying glass close) revealed a minutely small hairline crack in the journal. going the direction of the crank (front to back if that makes sense).
the conclusion for my scenario was that as the engine heated up, the crack would have expanded and would have been enough to scratch at the bearing on every revolution thus eating it away to make it look much like yours does now.
don't know what caused it in the first place though.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Big-end bearing failure with pics - 6 mo since rebuild - any ideas? Mon, 11 July 2005 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you have mail.. (i hope)

no1 bearing looks scored like normal if things are bad..
no4 looks utterly rooted and either rusted or the bearing surface totally delaminated... not a pretty sight Sad
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Big-end bearing failure with pics - 6 mo since rebuild - any ideas? Mon, 11 July 2005 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and so do you! I hope Wink

yeah man very ugly.. #2 has a "small" section ripped out of it, #4 is wasted, #1 and #3 are just badly scored.

Edit: grrr wrong info

Hey, at least the bearing was still there. That's more than we can say for last time around Smile heheh

Actually, thinking about what I wrote in my email, if the bottom bearings are way worse perhaps the clearances were too large allowing for some real bashing of the bearing????

I really am an ignoramous in a lot of this.

[Updated on: Mon, 11 July 2005 23:49]

allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: Big-end bearing failure with pics - 6 mo since rebuild - any ideas? Mon, 11 July 2005 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Interestingly, it's the bottom bearings not the top that are bad. The tops are scored, but nowhere near the damage we see on the bottom.

by "bottom" you mean the rod cap, right, and the "top" is the bearing in the rod????
that half, "bottom, doesn't get much of a load at all, not the compression & power strokes, just the intake stroke and coping with the inertia from the exhaust stroke, so i think you mean the half in the rod that most would call the "top" half of the bearing .

looks like they're fatigued to me, from lugging and/or detonation.

http://www.thirskauto.net/BearingPics.html
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Big-end bearing failure with pics - 6 mo since rebuild - any ideas? Mon, 11 July 2005 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would say the engine had too much clearence this allowed for it to put out higher numbers due to less friction but a few more miles and its ended up with to much clearence to keep an oil film.

can you take a photo of the writing on the back of the baring please!
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Big-end bearing failure with pics - 6 mo since rebuild - any ideas? Mon, 11 July 2005 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
allencr, uh huh, I understand what you are saying. Don't know why I didn't think of it like that Smile thanks for setting me straight.

EDIT: MY BAD. Just spoke to my mate who pulled them out yesterday - I was there but freaking out over the condition hehe. It IS the rod-ends that are wrecked. That clears that up. My bad, sorry for any strained brain cells. Smile

Allan - I will try and get a piccie of the numbers this evening.

You could see a "shadow" of the writing from the bearings on the cap but I think that's normal.

[Updated on: Mon, 11 July 2005 23:37]

Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Big-end bearing failure with pics - 6 mo since rebuild - any ideas? Tue, 12 July 2005 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What would cause a bearing to delaminate like that?

Most failed bearings I've seen tend to be smeared around.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Big-end bearing failure with pics - 6 mo since rebuild - any ideas? Tue, 12 July 2005 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Too many big end bearings are going bad lately. Sad
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Big-end bearing failure with pics - 6 mo since rebuild - any ideas? Tue, 12 July 2005 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had a bearing go not long ago, just had too much timing, and it looks IDENTICAL to the closest one in the first pic.

the 2nd one is just scary.

i'd be getting the rods resized, but get them checked for roundness b4 they do it, just so u can rule that out as a cause
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Big-end bearing failure with pics - 6 mo since rebuild - any ideas? Wed, 13 July 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan - ok writing on back of bearings (they are ACL bearings) says

"17FE04
1.0"

We are maybe thinking the crank was overmachined right now...
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Big-end bearing failure with pics - 6 mo since rebuild - any ideas? Wed, 13 July 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What has Terry @ Dominator said about it?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Big-end bearing failure with pics - 6 mo since rebuild - any ideas? Wed, 13 July 2005 05:30 Go to previous message
ok Nick (owner of corolla) just visited him

Terry was super helpful - suggested that it wasn't over machining but a timing issue, as a machining issue usually has tell tale wear signs in certain areas.

Our timing was standard, but if something else was out?

going to take crank in tomoz or fri Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 13 July 2005 09:17]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:KE10 - KE20 engine bay
Next Topic:UZZ31 Tranny code 46
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 17:18:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060338973999023 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.