Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 3S-GTE questions....

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
3S-GTE questions.... Thu, 16 January 2003 13:01 Go to next message
Heya guys,

Just a quickie(and probably a stupid question), If I bought a RA23/28 or TA22/23 would I be able to put this engine in a FWD or RWD car? I went to www.jaustech.com.au and for the the 3S-GTE they have 2 versions. Is one of these specific to FWD and RWD? If so which one?

Engine(coding) Capacity Model Type(Jap Codes) Flywheel HP

3SGTE 2000 ST165 185

3SGTE 2000 ST185/SW20 220

Thanks guys, I'm still learnin Smile

Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S-GTE questions.... Thu, 16 January 2003 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Both engines are essentially FWD type configurations, ie mounted east-west on a transaxle. The SW20 (MR2) is actually RWD, but since it's mid-engined the configuration is much the same as the FWD/AWD Celica (ST165/ST185). The 3S-GTE has never been produced in a north-south RWD configuration, which means a fair bit of screwing around to get it in an early RWD Celica. It can (and has) been done, but there are definitely easier conversions out there.
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: 3S-GTE questions.... Thu, 16 January 2003 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just out of curiosity what would be an easier engine conversion then? Would a 3T-GTE be a better option?

[Updated on: Thu, 16 January 2003 13:58]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S-GTE questions.... Fri, 17 January 2003 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As I said, both of the engines listed above are essentially the same, so neither one would be easier.

As for whether the 3T-GTE is better, it depends what you mean by "better". It's a much older engine with less power output, but it's heaps easier to install in an old Celica. In fact it's almost a bolt-in for a TA22/TA23.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S-GTE questions.... Fri, 17 January 2003 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try this link

http://www.toymods.org.au/tech.html

norbie when are u gonna start charging for advice cause it seems like you do this full time, i mean dont u have a 2JZ-GTE to get going? Laughing Shocked Evil or Very Mad
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S-GTE questions.... Fri, 17 January 2003 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL

I need to do something while I'm at work don't I? Apart from actual work that is. Razz The 2JZ is scheduled to melt its first set of tyres in mid February, so there's not much longer left to wait. Very Happy
Ice_majik
Regular

December 2002
Re: 3S-GTE questions.... Fri, 17 January 2003 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would say a 3TGTE or 3TGTEU are possible, we have one in a TA22 Cool
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 3S-GTE questions.... Mon, 15 March 2004 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How well do 3T-GTE's fit into KE55's i know that the T50 gearbo will bolt up its just the engine that im not to sure of...
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: 3S-GTE questions.... Mon, 15 March 2004 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn, that was like one of my first posts....thankfully I know alot more about engines now than I did then Razz A year ago I never would have thought I'd buy a TA23 or a SW20 for that matter Laughing
vin91
Regular

August 2003
Re: 3S-GTE questions.... Tue, 16 March 2004 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am unsure but wouldn't the conversion go easier using the Gearbox off the Rearwheel Drive 2S corona Afterall don't the family names mean most parts are interchangeable. EG the 2T and 3T have basically the same block and parts that go on a 2T will also fit a 3T same goes for the A series?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S-GTE questions.... Tue, 16 March 2004 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes you can use a 2S transmission behind a 3S-GTE. Don't use a Corona box though (crappy Borg-Warner 4-speed), you want a W55 5-speed from a SA63 Celica.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 3S-GTE questions.... Tue, 16 March 2004 02:51 Go to previous message
3T-GTEU's are a "relatively" easy install into a KE55. Basically all the modifications that are required for a 2T-G are required for a 3T-GTE, but there are a few other things extra that are needed for the 3T-GTE.

First, you need EFI fuel setup
One of the engine mounts has an oil line going through it (im not an expert with this motor)
You need hydraulic clutch (TA22 stuff here)
You need a W5* gerbox.

There are a couple of people around with KE20 3t-gte's, have a look at their cars.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Problam My Fuel Meter Doesn't Work
Next Topic:13 sec sprinter.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 18 18:02:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.004925012588501 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.