Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Xinx
Regular

December 2003
ae86 Steering shake Sat, 09 July 2005 14:34 Go to next message
Hi All,

The steering wheel in my sprinter shake when I get to certain speed normally around 100kph or when I'm steering in certain direction at high speed. Now this really annoyed the hell out of me Mad .

First I though the tyre is out of balance, so I get it balanced. I've check the rack end, tie rod end and they all seem pretty solid ie no play, check the wheel bearing and that seems fine. So what the hell is causing this? I've spoken to other sprinter driver and they too have this problem and no one seem to have a fix for this, whats going on? can anyone help?

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: ae86 Steering shake Sun, 10 July 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you probably have a flat spot on one or both of the tyres. jack the front up and spin the rim, have a look at it from side on and see if the tyre is even.
WaLLLY
Regular

February 2005
Re: ae86 Steering shake Sun, 10 July 2005 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had this in my rolla... found out that my tyre was split...

luckily it held together, as i was driving on highway from Tafe... about a 40min drive, the whole way there and back, then got home and was like OMFG Shocked
rxbenny
Regular

November 2004
Re: ae86 Steering shake Sun, 10 July 2005 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how bad is the shake that you have
i had a bad shake at various speeds over 100kms
but my tures were out of round.

also it could be your rims damaged making the wheel harder to balance

do u have aftermarket rims?
are they hub centric or stud centric cos if they not centred it will cause the shake also.

Cheers

Ben
WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: ae86 Steering shake Sun, 10 July 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you said the wheels were balanced but has it had a wheel alignment?
i know in my rolla i had the shakes badly, went and got a wheel balance and wheels alignment and it improved heaps
rxbenny
Regular

November 2004
Re: ae86 Steering shake Sun, 10 July 2005 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
double post

[Updated on: Mon, 11 July 2005 11:30]

rxbenny
Regular

November 2004
Re: ae86 Steering shake Sun, 10 July 2005 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
triple post

[Updated on: Mon, 11 July 2005 11:34]

rxbenny
Regular

November 2004
Re: ae86 Steering shake Sun, 10 July 2005 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
quads:)

[Updated on: Mon, 11 July 2005 11:35]

rxbenny
Regular

November 2004
Re: ae86 Steering shake Sun, 10 July 2005 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
/end

[Updated on: Mon, 11 July 2005 11:36]

Matt-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

October 2003

Re: ae86 Steering shake Sun, 10 July 2005 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Calm down Ben Razz Yer mine does this, only cause i need to balance my front tyres and get an alignment Razz
Xinx
Regular

December 2003
Re: ae86 Steering shake Mon, 11 July 2005 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've the lot done really wheel alignment, balanced. Yes I have aftermarket 15" wheels brand new tyres. One interesting I've found out this weekend while I have my car off the ground was the tyre is not perfectly round. When I spin them you can just tell that its not really round like minor bump, are they suppose to be perfectly round?

Quote:

are they hub centric or stud centric cos if they not centred it will cause the shake also

Not too sure what this mean...

Thanks
rxbenny
Regular

November 2004
Re: ae86 Steering shake Mon, 11 July 2005 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woh
what happened therE?
oops sorry
i am calm
my coomputer is out of control !!!!!
soory

Just covering all the base's cos mine does it too only a little bit when driving over 130 but still enuff to annoy me ......

with the stud hub thing toyota rims are centred by the thing in the middle but my after market wheels are centred by the wheel studs so they are not a good fit around the hub. .....i think i will have to take some pictures cos i am confused now .

[Updated on: Mon, 11 July 2005 06:12]

org86t
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: ae86 Steering shake Mon, 11 July 2005 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try the steering rack nut somewhere in the center i have the same deal brand new tires got them balanced replaced the tire rod ends but only 90% gone had a pro look at it and thats what he told me might be the same i dunno but might help Rolling Eyes
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: ae86 Steering shake Mon, 11 July 2005 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wheel alignment WILL NEVER help or cure a vibration problem, because it is only about where the wheels are pointing when standing still and has nothing to do with what is happening when they are at speed & spinning.

out of balance, out of round, bent rim/wheel or hub/axle. possibly drive/propeller shaft/s.

stick your head out the window and see which one is hopping.
wear glasses.

"steering rack nut"?????
org86t
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: ae86 Steering shake Wed, 13 July 2005 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brand new tires got them balanced

balancing a tire means that if it is out of round the professionals
would have told me yet i would have noticed if my wheel was anyway
he is talking about his steering wheel shaking over 100 or so ive done everything to stop this even putting different tires on different rims still happened so ill stop the play in this nut see if it helps and get you to give your professional opinion on my tires then hey just telling you what i was told when they checked my rim/wheel or hub/axle drive/propeller shaft/s and found nothing wrong but im no mechanic so ill trust them allencr Very Happy
mrf_ool
Forums Junkie

May 2004

Re: ae86 Steering shake Mon, 18 July 2005 09:25 Go to previous message
bugger it i'll get them balenced again at a different place just to make sure cant trust taree bogans these days ps dont be scared im just using mrfools computer Laughing

org86t

[Updated on: Mon, 18 July 2005 09:27]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Putting on a scoop.
Next Topic:Electrical help
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 06:21:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056028366088867 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.