Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Anyone been defected for HIDs?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon5.gif  Anyone been defected for HIDs? Wed, 13 July 2005 05:26 Go to next message
Hey all,
Been thinking of doing a HID upgrade, but I'm kinda worried about the legality.

AFAIK, you need headlight washers if you have HIDs but I can't imagine too many cops screwing you over with this.

My main worry is insurnace. How will they react if I ever have to make a claim?

Thoughts? Experiences?
  Send a private message to this user    
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Wed, 13 July 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was infected with the HIV about 2 yrs ago. Razz
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Wed, 13 July 2005 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There was another thread awhile ago about doing a HID conversion, and they got into the details about its legalality and what not, maybe you can search that and find out more, can't remember exact to exact details, but there was quite a bit, i think the subject was "is $250 for a HID conversion cheap"
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Wed, 13 July 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evan wrote on Wed, 13 July 2005 16:15

i told you sprinter owners were fags
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Wed, 13 July 2005 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ST162GT-R wrote on Wed, 13 July 2005 16:25

There was another thread awhile ago about doing a HID conversion, and they got into the details about its legalality and what not, maybe you can search that and find out more, can't remember exact to exact details, but there was quite a bit, i think the subject was "is $250 for a HID conversion cheap"

Yeah, I saw that thread. Didn't quite answer my question though.

I know it won't be legal. I just want to know if anyone's been busted for it! Wink
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Wed, 13 July 2005 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ohhhhh.....well yeah i guess that doesn't answer your question, i wouldn't think its on the top of the defect list, as long as its the expensive ones and ADR approved you'd be all good, but i haven't heard of any my friends who have had a problem with the law, but they've got the ADR stuff.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Wed, 13 July 2005 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You need headlight washers and an auto levelling device for them to be legal.
I doubt many cops look for them but that won't stop an insurance company from denying a claim because of them.
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Wed, 13 July 2005 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Wed, 13 July 2005 16:34

Evan wrote on Wed, 13 July 2005 16:15

i told you sprinter owners were fags

Laughing
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Wed, 13 July 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is gonna sound newb but wots a HID
earthweb
Regular

August 2004
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Wed, 13 July 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
High Intensity Discharge

Most of the high end European cars have them as factory I believe. I read about a problem in England I think, where thieves were stealing them all the time out of cars cause they were worth a few grand or something.

- Chris.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Wed, 13 July 2005 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Wed, 13 July 2005 17:53

I doubt many cops look for them but that won't stop an insurance company from denying a claim because of them.

The insurance company is my main worry. As you said, I doubt the cops would ever notice.

So I'm basically tossing up whether to put up with these dangerous headlights on the freeway, or just suck it and deal with the insurance company if the times comes. Sad

I was hoping for more anecdotal evidence from people.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Wed, 13 July 2005 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Wed, 13 July 2005 17:23

You need headlight washers and an auto levelling device for them to be legal. I

Toobs is correct.

The difference from a factory point of view is that they are 4 times brighter than std good lamps.

That said, I don't know of anyone being defected with them, but if they are not properly aligned, they will be easy to pick up.

Is it worth it ? How much night driving do you do, and unless your lamps are badly aimed or 1958 VW Beetle 6 volt vintage, I'd suggest that you save your money and possible insurance liabilities....
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Wed, 13 July 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Basically, the story is this:
The Liberty's headlights are designed for HIDs. Subaru Australia, in all their wisdom, decided that to make the Liberty cheaper to bring in, the HIDs would go.

So I'm stuck with headlights designed for HIDs with halogen bulbs in them.
In other words, they're dangerous.
I've got the Phillips VisionPlus +50 bulbs in there already, but they're still not good enough.
They don't light up enough road at 110km/h in order for me to see something to avoid it.

I do the Canberra-Sydney-Canberra run every 2-3 weeks and pretty much always drive it at night.

So basically, it's my safety vs insurance hassles...
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Wed, 13 July 2005 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's a comparison of a Liberty with a HID conversion vs a standard Liberty.

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/slavetonet/HID% 20COMPARE/IMG_0004.JPG

It takes a Liberty 35m to stop from 100km/h. Add in an optimistic reaction time of 0.2s which comes out to 5.5m.

So the beam has to reach a bare minimum of 40.5m for me to be able to avoid an accident at 100km/h.

Does it look in that photo that the standard beam will reach 40m?

They're shithouse lights.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Wed, 13 July 2005 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=Nark wrote on Wed, 13 July 2005 21:03Does it look in that photo that the standard beam will reach 40m?[/quote]
Computer says no...
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Wed, 13 July 2005 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would it be possible to get them engineered? It IS going in for a safety reason after all.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Wed, 13 July 2005 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
engineer will go by the ADRs, which require auto-levelling and washers.
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Wed, 13 July 2005 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would the cost of those be that much greater than non leveling / washing HIDs?

Given you've already got the Liberty, would it be possible to get a pair from Japan / Europe etc?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Wed, 13 July 2005 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can tell HID from a distance by the way the lights colour changes as the angle changes... you know.. those annoying merc/BMW lights Wink

why not add a pencil beam or two?

or failing that, find out how much a set of lights from japan would be.. and exactly what bits you need to swap it all over...
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Wed, 13 July 2005 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Thu, 14 July 2005 00:06

you can tell HID from a distance by the way the lights colour changes as the angle changes... you know.. those annoying merc/BMW lights Wink

why not add a pencil beam or two?

or failing that, find out how much a set of lights from japan would be.. and exactly what bits you need to swap it all over...

Agreed.

The parts would be the sensors (front and rear), modules, h/light units, washer system, harnesses etc.... Would be the best way around it

Hasn't it been mentioned that there are ADR approved kits available, but these are much more expensive than the"bulb only" ones ?
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Wed, 13 July 2005 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If its for a subaru just give MRT rally a call... I'm pretty sure they have ADR legal HID kits for most subaru's (Esp WRX).
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Thu, 14 July 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MRT are associated with XenonOz. That's who I will be going through.

They're not ADR'ed though. Sad
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Thu, 14 July 2005 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you get them you'll be one of those dickhead who sits right up your ass burning out your retinas...

I dont understand how they can be legal, they really burn out your pupils...
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Thu, 14 July 2005 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Thu, 14 July 2005 00:36

I'd thought of this, but couldn't find any websites that sell them. I don't speak Japanese, so it's kinda hard for me to call Fuji Heavy Industries and ask about the price of headlights. Smile

79rollaboy wrote on Thu, 14 July 2005 19:04

If you get them you'll be one of those dickhead who sits right up your ass burning out your retinas...

I dont understand how they can be legal, they really burn out your pupils...

Screw you hippy! Razz
Southo
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Fri, 15 July 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would have a very hard time convincing the ICO (Insurance Claims Ombudsman) that the reason for delclining your claim was due to you fitting HID lights to your vehicle unless the claim DIRECTLY related to the failure of thise lights where a normal set of lights would not have failed.

I am not sure why you need headlight washers on HID lamps, but seriously, if you were driving along at midnight and a kanga/wallaby jumped out in front of you about 40 Metres ahead and you cleaned it up - there would be little chance of me saying your headlights were to blame (unless of course, they were off, or broken, in which case you should not have been driving at night, - but that is a different story..)

The only thing the insurance compoany may say (if you did not disclose them , and they accept them, is that they will not replace the HID lamps, but only pay the cost of the factory units, as that is what their exposure was (if you didn't disclose them)

bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Fri, 15 July 2005 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Southo wrote on Fri, 15 July 2005 14:56

I am not sure why you need headlight washers on HID lamps,

Glare issues. Due to the brightness of them, the dirt and crap on there can cause severe issues. The washer pressure in of of the cars to be released soon is 20,000psi !!!
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Fri, 15 July 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So Southo is that true for all insurers?

What about this scenario?
I am driving along minding my own business on a quiet road doing the speed limit and because its late at night and i am tired and driving so very slow I have a microsleep and smack into a telegraph pole.
I have a standard car apart from some chromies my mate habib gave me and some wheel spacers that I put on because the wheels from habib were the wrong offset.

The insurance company would:
A)Pay out because the accident was totally unrelated to the spacers or failure thereof.
B) Not pay out claiming the insurance policy was invalid because the vehicle was not roadworthy.
C) Not pay out claiming that I intentionally gave them false information because when they asked about modifications and accessories I only said "mag wheels" not "mag wheels and spacers"
D) Try options B and C until I took them to court and proved that the spacers had no relevance to this accident.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Sun, 17 July 2005 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You forgot E: They will not payout because you fitted HID's which reflected off the roadside signs which in the infinate wisdom of the RTA were made that way so you could see them but you didn't fit self levelling units so they were pointing in a direction that prevented you from seeing the telegraph pole and reacting but even if you had reacted the massive forces (in the opinion of the insurance assesor) caused by the fitting of the chromies and spacers from habibbi would have caused the hubs to fail and have an accident anyway and the spacers are illegal by the ADR's so the vehicle is unroadworthy and we won't pay out.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Sun, 17 July 2005 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like your thoughts on insurance companies are the same as mine Clubagreenie!
Will use any excuse to get out of paying a claim even if the excuse is of absolutely no relevance sometimes even total bullshit excuses... then they f'ck you around until you bother to take them to court to get your money.

Even if they lose in court they've still had your cash in their bank account earning high interest.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Sun, 17 July 2005 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Fri, 15 July 2005 15:41

Southo wrote on Fri, 15 July 2005 14:56

I am not sure why you need headlight washers on HID lamps,

Glare issues. Due to the brightness of them, the dirt and crap on there can cause severe issues. The washer pressure in of of the cars to be released soon is 20,000psi !!!

awesome cant wait to point those to the left and hose old ladys / women / children while driving by

should be good for water injection Smile got a spare pump?
Southo
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Sun, 17 July 2005 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs,
I can only speak for the ones that I sign off on, or have to represent my company for. Naturally all companies are different.

To give you an example - if it was us, I would not class HID's as a "decline" modification unless that was the main reason for the claim as I mentioned before. What I would expect though, is if they were damaged in a claim and you have not advised us -then we would only pay for the cost of the factory replacement glass/globe etc.

I would certainly NOT agree that we should proceed thru a Claims Review Panel (CRP is like an in-house "should we pay this claim because of..." meeting) for HID lamps, unless there were serious mitigating circumstance due to the type of claim. IT's common sence really.

Having said that - not all mods are minor and would be treated this way. We have a claim at the moment that I would say is going to go all the way through to the IOC that involves a vehicle that was fitted with aftermarket forced induction and was not disclosed to us at anytime. This car would never have been accepted for insurance with us if it was disclosed, so as a result of the non-disclosure - we are denying liability and treating the policy as non-existent. (ie, full refund from inception as we should never have been on risk, and if we have never been on risk, then we would not have this current claim)
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Sun, 17 July 2005 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just thought i'd add this as i've ben looking around Jap parts places today (Yellow Hat and Super Autobacs), and they seem to have heaps of HID systems and even more shit normal globes...

why the fuck do they only have halogen globes that are heavily tinted blue? it shits me no end... the globes in my car are PIAA Extreme, and they do look nice and bright, but i realised that i can't see shit with them Sad... so anyway, i got some Philips plus 50's (almost the cheapest and the only clear bulb in H7 Wink ) and much better..

anyway, back to topic..

i noticed drivign around tonight for a good 4 or 5 hrs that the HID equipped cars and HID converted cars look different in the light spread.. or seemed to.. the original HID cars have a more focused beam with less spread.. kinda like pencil bems with a bit of fuzz to see the road directly in front.. and they are not too annoying..

the HID converted cars have a much bigger splash of light directly on the road ahead, so it's like they had fog lights on, but the beam did not go as far.. and when behind you they are so much more annoying..
if your lights are originally set up for HID's then all good Wink
oh abd the kits are prety exxy here also.. maybe $500-600 up..

but overall, any car with HID had much much much brighter lights than other cars.... next to me with shit PIAA's, it looked like i had NO headlights!!!

anyhoo, just an observation... i'll try and get a pic of cars on road if i can....

Cya, Stewart

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Sun, 17 July 2005 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OT i know Sad but i hate shit lights.. get HID's anyway Razz
sure the PIAAs are "whiter" but they suck arse....
http://www.materials.unsw.edu.au/~sford/piaa.jpg
http://www.materials.unsw.edu.au/~sford/plus50.jpg

anyhoo, thanks for the reason to go driving again Razz
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Sun, 17 July 2005 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
again, apologies for the shit pic...

guess which car has HID's Wink
http://www.materials.unsw.edu.au/~sford/hid1.jpg
Soarin
Regular

June 2002
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Sun, 17 July 2005 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I'd thought of this, but couldn't find any websites that sell them. I don't speak Japanese, so it's kinda hard for me to call Fuji Heavy Industries and ask about the price of headlights.

Nark, try Japanese Yahoo, I'm sure there are guys on here that can import it in for you? HID's will never be legal for a car with non-HID projectors etc as they were never designed to be used with the D2S bulbs. You could source the JDM or ECE projectors for the Liberty and retrofit them to your OEM headlights, or import the HID-specific headlights. Some companies make replacement headlight units like Bellof but they cost an arm and a leg.

Quote:

the HID converted cars have a much bigger splash of light directly on the road ahead, so it's like they had fog lights on, but the beam did not go as far.. and when behind you they are so much more annoying..

D2S projectors will project the light beam properly compared to an HID kit fitted to OEM projectors. I'm still trying to save some cash to get a proper retrofit done to my Soarer.

Jose
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Sun, 17 July 2005 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soarin wrote on Mon, 18 July 2005 08:42

Nark, try Japanese Yahoo, I'm sure there are guys on here that can import it in for you? HID's will never be legal for a car with non-HID projectors etc as they were never designed to be used with the D2S bulbs. You could source the JDM or ECE projectors for the Liberty and retrofit them to your OEM headlights, or import the HID-specific headlights. Some companies make replacement headlight units like Bellof but they cost an arm and a leg.

As I stated earlier, the headlights are designed for HID. They have a very clean cutoff at a certain level (obviously so as not to blind other drivers). This also attributes to the crap headlights 'coz the halogen bulbs just don't cut it, especially with that sharp cutoff.

Southo, that's good to know. If I get them done, I'd be telling the insurance company about it anyway. I'm insured with AAMI though and they have a history for finding the smallest excuse to deny a claim...
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Sun, 17 July 2005 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Liberty's headlights have a sharp cutoff? U've got to be kidding. It's no better than a standard headlight. The 200SX and Audi's of late have a VERY sharp cut off. The Liberty headlights aren't that bad.. but it's not that super good either.

One thing though. IF the part is NOT ADR and NOT street legal, wouldn't that be enough to void an insurance claim?

Btw, the washer jet are useless. Had a go at it in the latest Forester and it just makes a heap of mess of it.

[Updated on: Sun, 17 July 2005 23:22]

Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Mon, 18 July 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SmellyTofu wrote on Mon, 18 July 2005 09:21

The Liberty's headlights have a sharp cutoff? U've got to be kidding. It's no better than a standard headlight. The 200SX and Audi's of late have a VERY sharp cut off. The Liberty headlights aren't that bad.. but it's not that super good either.

One thing though. IF the part is NOT ADR and NOT street legal, wouldn't that be enough to void an insurance claim?

Btw, the washer jet are useless. Had a go at it in the latest Forester and it just makes a heap of mess of it.

just because it is required for ADR, does not mean it actually does the car any good ..
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Mon, 18 July 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark, how did people drive without HID's before they were invented ? !
If you are worried about insurance, don't do it. If you are more worried about your long distance driving, get them (which is what i would do).

In reality, the chances of being pulled over for them are low, as your car is modern and semi-luxo. Don't think cops will defect.

Your chances of getting a claim if anything does go wrong - that i don't know.

[Updated on: Mon, 18 July 2005 03:05]

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Mon, 18 July 2005 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Les wrote on Mon, 18 July 2005 13:01

Nark, how did people drive without HID's before they were invented ? !

Headlights weren't designed for HID but with halogen bulbs inside them...
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Mon, 18 July 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just spoke to AAMI and they won't honour any claim that I make if I have non-ADR HIDs installed. Mad
Southo, you care to name your insurance company? Or PM it to me?

I think I might search around for a new insurance policy. If someone will cover me with the HIDs, then I'll happily swap.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Mon, 18 July 2005 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Confused unlucky mate
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Mon, 18 July 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sell the Suby and buy a Honda Accord Euro Luxury ! Laughing

They come standard with HID.

"http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=75058&rid=832&S=a07a7e04b2b0b35f5dcde6c2 c34fb83c&pl_view=&start=0#msg_704129"
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Mon, 18 July 2005 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDCelica wrote on Mon, 18 July 2005 15:04

Sell the Suby and buy a Honda Accord Euro Luxury ! Laughing

Believe it or not, I considered one when I was looking for a new car.

Hated it though. Torque steer galore and absolute lack of balls.
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Mon, 18 July 2005 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fit spot lights if you are going out in the highways or turn on your fog lights. That'll help and those projector fog lights don't glare up.

Les, rightly or wrongly, ADR is there and if it doesn't meet this so called standard, then it's not "legal" even though it might be stupid and more dangerous to follow the rule than not to.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Mon, 18 July 2005 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SmellyTofu wrote on Mon, 18 July 2005 15:46

Fit spot lights if you are going out in the highways or turn on your fog lights. That'll help and those projector fog lights don't glare up.

Les, rightly or wrongly, ADR is there and if it doesn't meet this so called standard, then it's not "legal" even though it might be stupid and more dangerous to follow the rule than not to.

Dont think u cant use fog lights unless there is ... fog ...

and I agree with the ADR thing .. Cool
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Mon, 18 July 2005 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tried calling Shannons and (apart from being 3 times as expensive) they wouldn't insure the car either.

But I hit the jackpot!

GIO!!

They'll insure the car and will even cover the HIDs!! How good is that! Looks like I'll be getting HIDs and driving safely on the freeway!
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Mon, 18 July 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can't exactly call a 3.0R-B to be a "modern classic" right now.

Just watch out for the HID.. they do glare like hell because the arc is actually blurry and make what is already not a very sharp beam even worse. I've come across many cars with this job and almost blinded me.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Mon, 18 July 2005 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I doubt it'll ever be considered a classic.

It's a good family car. Possibly a great one (for the money).
But a classic, it's not.

I'll take a few photos of the headlight cutoff tonight. It's a sharp cutoff in my mind, regardless of whether there are sharper ones out there.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Mon, 18 July 2005 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SmellyTofu wrote on Mon, 18 July 2005 16:19

You can't exactly call a 3.0R-B to be a "modern classic" right now.

Just watch out for the HID.. they do glare like hell because the arc is actually blurry and make what is already not a very sharp beam even worse. I've come across many cars with this job and almost blinded me.

some euro cars come with a uv / blinding light filter on th ewindscreen .. my cliosport has it and the bright lights from factory hid or non factory hid's dont really affect me.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Mon, 18 July 2005 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
off topic, but les you ended up getting the clio whats it like space wise inside and too drive and hows it been reliability wise, i am still keeping that option open for when i replace the rona at the end of this year thanks. Very Happy
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Mon, 18 July 2005 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i pm u
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Mon, 18 July 2005 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Mon, 18 July 2005 16:26

I doubt it'll ever be considered a classic.

It's a good family car. Possibly a great one (for the money).
But a classic, it's not.

I'll take a few photos of the headlight cutoff tonight. It's a sharp cutoff in my mind, regardless of whether there are sharper ones out there.

Yes it's a good thing.. I've yet to drive one of these beauties but have the lower (and slower) sibblings... the only thing I hated about the Liberty was the fact that you couldn't fold down the seat to fit longish stuff. The ski port is not large enough.

Factory units have to conform to a certain standard and the amount of light above the cut off (which is necessary because of overhead signs). The ones that really annoy me have been mainly the Civic et al. I'm tempted to put in HID myself but it's really not worth the hassles and expense.. not to mention the legalities of it. A big driving lights on a nudgebar would suit me more.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Mon, 18 July 2005 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SmellyTofu wrote on Tue, 19 July 2005 08:54

the only thing I hated about the Liberty was the fact that you couldn't fold down the seat to fit longish stuff. The ski port is not large enough.

Yeah. I hate that. Apparently the wagon has the split-fold rear seats. I feel ripped off. Sad

Didn't get a chance to take photos last night, actually it was too fugging cold to go outside... It was -5 when I woke up this morning!! Bloody Canberra winters.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Tue, 19 July 2005 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It wasn't much warmer here man ! Cool
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Tue, 19 July 2005 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Tue, 19 July 2005 09:08

Yeah. I hate that. Apparently the wagon has the split-fold rear seats. I feel ripped off. Sad

Yes it does have a split fold seats. You should have got the 3.0R-B wagon instead. Also I'm so used to driving a car with rear wipers... did a few months in the 2.5i sedan.. never again. The wagons didn't handle any poorer.. I think it's better with the additional weight in the back.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Tue, 19 July 2005 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ooh... Don't get me started on the lack of rear wiper... Skull - Mad

I considered the wagon, but I'd only really need the extra space a few times a year when I go on trips and I couldn't see myself carrying the extra weight all the rest of the time that I don't need it...

Les, I can't see Sydney ever seeing -5 even in the coldest part of the night, let alone 8am!!
The smog acts as a good blanket... Very Happy

I've organised some HIDs from XenonOz, so we'll see how this all goes. Smile
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Tue, 19 July 2005 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Tue, 19 July 2005 11:52

Les, I can't see Sydney ever seeing -5 even in the coldest part of the night, let alone 8am!!
The smog acts as a good blanket... Very Happy

I was wearing shorts .. it felt like -10 degrees !
Surprised
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Tue, 19 July 2005 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why the fsck were you wearing shorts?!?!?!?!
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Anyone been defected for HIDs? Tue, 19 July 2005 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wink

good question ......
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:I want one (Not 56k friendly)
Next Topic:i searched for that thread about the super riced AE82..
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 18:41:48 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0090479850769043 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.