Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » TA22 and the battle for the stupidest doors ever made

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
fudge
Regular

July 2002

TA22 and the battle for the stupidest doors ever made Fri, 17 January 2003 03:21 Go to next message
currently my celica (1st rev ta22) is in a few pieces here and there. all has been going good except for one major problem. generally, you need a door that will stay SHUT when driving

my windows did not (do not) wind up and down properly. so off i went, took off the trim, started taking out every bolt i could on the door (prolly not a good idea ;P). my goal was to take off the metal cover and get a good look at the window winder parts (the technical term). its only then that i realise that the outside metal part of the door is WELDED to the inside part! elimating all chances of getting to the window winder parts. arg!

so now i am stuck with the window winder parts, the lock, etc all dangling around inside my door which i cant get to because both parts are welded together.

any ideas?

i was thinking i could just keep the doors off and go for the buggy effect ;P
  Send a private message to this user    
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA22 and the battle for the stupidest doors ever made Fri, 17 January 2003 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
since theres been a welding job already done why dont u just weld the doors shut ala the general lee of dukes of hazzard, then all u need is a nice orange paint job, some chevoit mesh rims, a bearded fat guy in a white suit, and a bumkin chicky babe.

then you could drive around and get the sheriff and his dopey deputy to chase u around town in which always ends in you jumping the car yelling "YEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHAAAAWWWWWWWWW"

so how bout it? Laughing Very Happy Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA22 and the battle for the stupidest doors ever made Fri, 17 January 2003 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey there Fudge, the 71-77 celica doors are a very sturdy unit, complete with anti intrusion bars in post76 models. They are no better and no worse than the majority of car doors on most every make and model.(try an EA falcon)
Access is a little restricted, but everything can be removed and replaced with a minimum off fuss!.
When properly fitted up and adjusted, using serviceable regulator, cleaned and greased runners, these doors and windows seal really well! They close with a solid THUNK, with no rattles. Misalignment of the door catch on the "B" pillar is the main reason for bad latching.

My 2 cents worth on the topic!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA22 and the battle for the stupidest doors ever made Fri, 17 January 2003 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is possible to work on the window winder mechanism via the access holes on the inside of the doors. Yes it's a huge PITA, but it's possible. It helps if you can grow an extra elbow or two. Wink
fudge
Regular

July 2002

Re: TA22 and the battle for the stupidest doors ever made Fri, 17 January 2003 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie - yeah, trying to get it sorted using the access holes would be impossible for me. id need to go pay a 4 year old. i think that is the only person who could reach up there Smile

ChuckLandwehr - i know, but that is not my problem. ill try to explain again, i removed all the bolts in the door thinking i could pull the tin sheet with the access holes OFF the door (like in my ae82). but the sheet with the access holes is welded to the door (impossible to take off so that you can work with the regulator without the tin sheet with the access holes). anyway Smile

im DEFINATLY considering rob's idea Smile
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA22 and the battle for the stupidest doors ever made Sat, 18 January 2003 01:30 Go to previous message
Popular Hot Rodding Magazine - Oct. 1982, pp.32-35. The article is titled "Inside Scoop on the 'Dukes of Hazzard' Dodge Charger", and is written by Cam Benty.

There were two types of General used for the series:

1. "First Unit" cars - prepared for close-up shots with the actors and are included in most of the still photography

-outfitted with 440 Magnum engines with 727 TorqueFlight transmissions and 3.23-to-1 rear end gearing with limited slip.

-heavy duty shocks were installed (coil-over style in the rear) accompanied by B.F. Goodrich T/A radial tires and cast aluminum turbo wheels.

-each engine was tuned up with a new 750/780 Holley carbuerator, special distributor, and new plug wires

- if not a total engine rebuild to begin with.

- treated to a full chrome job under the hood to add to engine appearance.

2. "Second Unit" cars - the workhorses used for a variety of different activities from 180-degree "bootlegger" turns and two-wheel driving, to jumps. They received all of the aforementioned equipment (except for the chrome work) and were tuned for their appointed duties.

-"Bootleg turn" cars - had the ratcheting mechanism on the emergency brake pedal removed to allow the rear brakes to be applied and released without need to pull the locking handle. This allowed the stunt man to jam on the brakes, turn the car 180 degrees and then release the pedal accelerating the car back in the opposite position.

-"Jumping Generals" - outfitted with full six-point NASCAR-style five-gallon fuel cells.

- to keep the cars flying straight once in the air, a weight box was cabled into the trunk, holding it tightly to the rear frame section. The weight boxes carried from 100 to 600 pounds to counterbalance the engine. Without the weight, the Chargers would fall nose first into the ground every time.

- Engines for the Second Unit cars varied depending on the size of the jump. The 273 and 318 engines were used on the shorter jumps, while the 383 and 440 engines were used when more speed was necessary.

- Damage to the jumped cars was generally so severe that the cars were never used again in the show for any action; just for parts to build another Second Unit General Lee.

- According to Warner Bros., an average of three General Lees were destroyed per episode, thus the reason for the constant building of Second Unit General Lees.

Chrysler Power magazine in 1985. The article was called "Return to Hazzard County", by Bill Holder.

- The frame of the General was weighted at four strategic points and were fitted with gas-type shock absorbers to keep them level during impact landings and 180-degree turns.

http://www.zombienation.force9.co.uk/film/cult/dukes/4.jpg

- The cars also carried 30-inch Glass Pak mufflers and Shelby rims that held new radial tires (B.F. Goodrich) with special inner tubes inserted.

- "Tom Wopat has some fond memories about the orange fleet of Dodges. 'Boy, we wrecked a bunch of them during the years of the show,' he said. 'I think that we went through more than one per episode. There were a lot of them driving around California, and there were a bunch backed up in reserve when we needed them.' Tom said that the skilled stunt drivers did most of the wild tricks, but both he and co-star John Schneider also did their share of the less dangerous tricks. 'I did my share,' says Wopat. 'Both John and I knew how to slide the cars around. We did a lot of those dust-raising stops and screaching exits. I did smack into a semi truck one time, and John ran into a couple of buildings too.'"

- "Sonny Shroyer also said that he wheeled the Hazzard County Police cars on occasion when chasing the General Lee. 'One time I lost control of the car, ran over a fence and into a ravine. It wasn't planned, but they got it on film and used it,' Sonny explained."

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Few questions
Next Topic:adjustable fuel pressure regulater
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 02:22:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.004425048828125 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.