Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » import laws?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
import laws? Wed, 08 January 2003 23:47 Go to next message
hi,
just wondering if anyone knows about the 15 year rule in australia? is it, after 15 years you can bring any car in from another country and it does not have to be complianced?

thanks in advance
chris
  Send a private message to this user    
raSkaS
Regular

July 2002
Re: import laws? Sat, 11 January 2003 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes thats true under the personal import laws, so you have to have owned and driven the car for over 2 years before the car can come over
thats exactly how it got mt levin over here

Cam
ytri
Regular

June 2002
Re: import laws? Mon, 13 January 2003 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I didnt think you had to own the car previously, for the 15 year rule??
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: import laws? Tue, 14 January 2003 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats what I thought as well. You could just import it the "same way" as a private import, i.e. without the extensive compliance issues.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: import laws? Tue, 14 January 2003 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anyone know exactly how the 15yr rule works?...I'd like to know for future dreams lol

Cheers
Wilbo
Toy_Boy
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Re: import laws? Thu, 16 January 2003 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 15 Year Second-Hand Car Import Rule allows you to import any vehicle that is >= 15 years old without the need of compliancing it.

However you will still need to get an engineers certificate to ensure that the car is roadworthy.

Going 15 years back from now to 1988, I was thinking of getting the following cars under this rule which would have costed under $5k before rego:

1) The first Celica GT4
2) S13 Silvia K 1.8L
3) Mazda RX-7

After speaking to an import agent, he said these cars practically don't exist anymore in Japan...oh wellz...back to the drawing board for me...
Biggus Dickus
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Re: import laws? Fri, 17 January 2003 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My understanding of the 15 year rule is that you don't have to own the vehicle before you bring it over. It is *not* the same as the personal import rules. You just buy the car overseas, bring it to Australia, get it roadworthy and register it.

I thought the personal import rules meant that you only had to own a car for 12 months overseas. When did it change to two years? Only a few months ago you only needed to own the car for 3 months overseas.

Hope that it is still 12 months. Good chance I might be over there for the next year, and I WANT a JZX 81 to bring home.
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: import laws? Sat, 18 January 2003 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*SIGH* Oh well... guess I have to wait another 7-8 odd years to be able to import an EP91 Glanza V Starlet!! Sad

If anyone knows another way to import one, even from NZ without all the bullshit then I am all ears!!
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: import laws? Sat, 18 January 2003 08:43 Go to previous message
only one car i'm waiting for
ae92 GTZ Levin.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:How much have you spent on your classic celicas?
Next Topic:R32 GTS-T?? Anyone drive/passenger?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 00:38:09 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047438144683838 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.