Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
HELP 3SGTE idle and pinging issues Thu, 14 July 2005 00:41 Go to next message
hey all,over the last few weeks what started with my idle dropping a bit has turned into a real problem...now it refuses to idle above 500 rpm, i adjust it so it idles normal then over a day or 2 it just drops back down to a very lumpy 500 rpm idle again...sometimes it just refuses to idle at all and i have to give it a good boot full of throttle to keep it alive...along with that, i always run 98 octane fuel because it would ping on regular unleaded....over the last week or so it has decided its going to ping between 2 and 3k on 98 octane....i threw some octane booster in my tank thinking it was just a dodgy batch of fuel and a few days later its pinging again (still on the same tank of fuel with the booster in it)...so with very little experience troublshooting these kinds of problems..i came here hopeing somebody could shed some light on why for no apparent reason this has started happening (st165 @ 10psi)
thanks in advance
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: HELP 3SGTE idle and pinging issues Thu, 14 July 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go get the AFR's checked.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: HELP 3SGTE idle and pinging issues Thu, 14 July 2005 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It'll be one of the following:
-Split Vacuum line
-Split in intake pipework
-Faulty EGR valve
-Faulty idle speed control valve.

Basically your engine is getting fed air that has not been metered and is coughing and spluttering.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: HELP 3SGTE idle and pinging issues Thu, 14 July 2005 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Thu, 14 July 2005 11:21

It'll be one of the following:
-Split Vacuum line
-Split in intake pipework
-Faulty EGR valve
-Faulty idle speed control valve.

Basically your engine is getting fed air that has not been metered and is coughing and spluttering.

Wouldn't any of that cause it to run RICH, and not LEAN, as would seem to be the case?
Roundy
Regular

April 2005
Re: HELP 3SGTE idle and pinging issues Thu, 14 July 2005 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if it is getting more air in it will run leaner, hence the pinging, and also that won't help the idle speed to much either
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: HELP 3SGTE idle and pinging issues Thu, 14 July 2005 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Boost + leak = less air.

He says it pings around the 3k mark.
I'm presume thats under boost, not low throttle.
Roundy
Regular

April 2005
Re: HELP 3SGTE idle and pinging issues Thu, 14 July 2005 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cept with a leak in the intake pipe after the AFM it will suck more through they leak...so if the leak is before the turbo but after the AFM more air will get sucked in hence making it run lean

[Updated on: Thu, 14 July 2005 22:17]

berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: HELP 3SGTE idle and pinging issues Thu, 14 July 2005 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im with cruzida.. my car runs real rich when i had a vacum leak but my leak was on the map sensor line so that could have played a major part but still alot of fuel wastage there ... but then again if it will not idle above 500rpm... a vacum leak would do the oppsite make it idle higher... so idle speed control is probly the culprut.

define pinging..

[Updated on: Thu, 14 July 2005 22:27]

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: HELP 3SGTE idle and pinging issues Thu, 14 July 2005 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A leak in the pipework would mean that at idle (vacuum) extra air is sucked into the intake causing a lean condition.

If the leak is pre-turbo it will suck unmetered air at all boost / vacuum conditions.

If the leak is post turbo then it will suck unmetered air at vacuum and lose metered air at boost. (i.e. lean at vacuum, rich on boost)
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: HELP 3SGTE idle and pinging issues Fri, 15 July 2005 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats a better sum of it all Toobs.
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: HELP 3SGTE idle and pinging issues Fri, 15 July 2005 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Thu, 14 July 2005 16:10

Boost + leak = less air.

He says it pings around the 3k mark.
I'm presume thats under boost, not low throttle.

thanks for the repys guys, sorry i shouldve clarified it a litte better...its pinging really bad between 2 and 3k...the pinging dissapears as soon as she comes on boost....ill aslo add that it is ultra gutless down low but on boost its normal...dunno if this changes much..but i thaught i should add it anyway...thanks again Smile
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: HELP 3SGTE idle and pinging issues Fri, 15 July 2005 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In that case you have probably a leak between the AFM and the Turbo.

Remove all offending pipework, check, clean, replace if damaged, refit.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: HELP 3SGTE idle and pinging issues Fri, 15 July 2005 04:55 Go to previous message
Check the pipe and clamps between the turbo and IC and the rubber adaptor flange thingy that connects the IC to the throttle body.
These seem to be cracked on a lot of ST185's and its probably the same on the 165.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:HELP!!!
Next Topic:$#&%$( 7MGTE - Its Not Coming Along.. The 1JZ has tempted me too Much!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 17:16:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0089781284332275 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.