Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Quad throttles on a 3s?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Quad throttles on a 3s? Mon, 11 July 2005 13:18 Go to next message
Im just curious as to whether or not there are any quad TB's available for a 3s?I know its possible to get customs made up but that's exy as.I've heard rumours that 20V quads will bolt straight on, but im pretty sure that they would not being a smaller engine and all. Any ideas?

Im lookin at building upo a gen2 NA with head work,cams, aftermarket computer and was thinking that this would be the last step that could be taken.

Cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Quad throttles on a 3s? Mon, 11 July 2005 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seriously weigh up the cost of this versus getting a beams 3SGE... they have everything done and can probably get more than you could with whatever amount of work on an earlier one...

as for throttles... design the throttle around the engine, not the engine around the throttles Smile

20V will very unlikely just "bolt on" (who has that as their sig?), but you could prolly make up an adaptor for them....
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Quad throttles on a 3s? Mon, 11 July 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd love to be able to get a beams but i cant afford it.I ve worked out that i can do bit s at a time and get the engine built up and it has to be done by a certain date(conditions of loan for car etc)with tax comin in and all this seems to be the only way i can afford a worked engine.The quads arent necessarily goin to go on, but i was just curious. Thanx anyway

i did find somethin on Bill Sherwoods site though so that might come in handy.

Cheers
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Quad throttles on a 3s? Mon, 11 July 2005 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh k, been there done that Wink... there is only so mcuh you can do bit by bit until you have to start doing big things at a time... all i can say is to have the final idea for the motor right from the start, and do the next bit that will realise gains toward your goal Wink... no point having to redo something, but some things don't work by themselves.. ahh car fun Very Happy

quads ALWAYS sound good Wink

BEAMS have lighter parts to allow more power at high rpm, and the variable stuff gives you more top end and bottom end... and are also higher compression.. anyway.. i like em Razz
if i could ship some back for the boys, i'd love to, but it aint that easy..

(anyone got a container they need filling and a truck i can borow Wink )
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Quad throttles on a 3s? Mon, 11 July 2005 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, been done. TRD do kits.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/Sprints/Glenns%20BEAMS2%20in%20car3.jpg
http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/Sprints/3SGE%20RA45GT2.jpg
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Quad throttles on a 3s? Tue, 12 July 2005 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm, so I guess that answers my query about whether or not quad's on a 3S BEAMS will fit in a RAV.... apparently not. Wink East/west mount will mean it'll be sucking in air from the cabin. Very Happy

If anyone with a RAV4 asks me, now I can tell them for certain.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Quad throttles on a 3s? Tue, 12 July 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TODA can also make you 3S 4throttle kits
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Quad throttles on a 3s? Wed, 13 July 2005 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If its sucking air from cabin side(inlet) its always possible to box them up and make a "ram" style intake, similar to those i have seen on sprinter 30v conversions.In fact, i believe it is recommended for getting more cold air and also protecting the socks etc if something were to go astray.

a sprinter guy from here had an engine bay fire and fried his.There's a thread in general conv. about it.

I wonder how much the kits are?Exy as i imagine
Shomar
Newcomer

November 2004
Re: Quad throttles on a 3s? Wed, 13 July 2005 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I emailed TODA about that same quad-throttle kit and they said they no longer have plans to release it to the public.
What throttles are used in the TRD kit?
Jezza
Regular

June 2002
Re: Quad throttles on a 3s? Thu, 14 July 2005 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just get a twin DCOE manifold for the 3s (ive seen them fs somewhere Confused ) then get a set of DCOE quads

Injection Perfection and that other mob make em (on TweakIt) forget their name....
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Quad throttles on a 3s? Thu, 14 July 2005 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RAV-GT4 wrote on Tue, 12 July 2005 17:05

Hmmm, so I guess that answers my query about whether or not quad's on a 3S BEAMS will fit in a RAV.... apparently not. Wink East/west mount will mean it'll be sucking in air from the cabin. Very Happy

If anyone with a RAV4 asks me, now I can tell them for certain.

couldnt see why it wouldnt fit .. the beams engine fits into the sw20 and the st202 from factory and both are fairly tight. so i couldnt see why it wouldnt fit in the same/similar space as the 3sgte/3sge inlet plenum
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Quad throttles on a 3s? Thu, 14 July 2005 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the TRD inlet and the quads measure up to 170mm from the head to ram tube so probaly not much room for a fwd set up
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Quad throttles on a 3s? Thu, 14 July 2005 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you bolt a plenum on the end of the quads? Very Happy
Jezza
Regular

June 2002
Re: Quad throttles on a 3s? Thu, 14 July 2005 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
absolutely u can bolt a plenum onto the quads
indigoid
Regular

September 2002

Re: Quad throttles on a 3s? Thu, 14 July 2005 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jezza wrote on Thu, 14 July 2005 16:36

absolutely u can bolt a plenum onto the quads

make that should, not can... it'll stop you having horrible engine bay fires like takai did with his 4ag

you can get really short quad throttle setups... as someone else said, check out Billzilla's Fraser

edit: someone beat me to it re: takai's car Sad

[Updated on: Thu, 14 July 2005 14:15]

Jezza
Regular

June 2002
Re: Quad throttles on a 3s? Thu, 14 July 2005 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so you are saying that all those race cars all over the world that run trumpets and socks are gonna catch on fire? Rolling Eyes

inital d is a cartoon dude...
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Quad throttles on a 3s? Fri, 15 July 2005 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The risk is there, its something you have to weigh up. Besides having a plenum is quite beneficial for sucking large amounts of cold air into the engine...
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Quad throttles on a 3s? Fri, 15 July 2005 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jezza wrote on Fri, 15 July 2005 06:12

so you are saying that all those race cars all over the world that run trumpets and socks are gonna catch on fire? Rolling Eyes

if they have enough reversion to spray fuel onto the trumpets and then are sitting at a set of lights long enough to raise the temps to where the fuel autoignites Wink maybe Razz

typically race cars are run flat strap, and so much air is being sucked thru the trumpets that any fuel that does arrive there from reversion will be sucked thru anyway, and hopefulyl they don't have as much reversion as a typical road car... sure it's more of a prob with cary cars, but it can and does happen with EFI too... you see the fuel "mist" above the trumpets....

Jezza wrote on Fri, 15 July 2005 06:12

inital d is a cartoon dude...

yes.. yes it is Wink
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Quad throttles on a 3s? Fri, 15 July 2005 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, admittedly mine was compromised by a bolt on my exhuast which snapped (after the extractors) and dropped half of the exhaust down an inch... Im now 95% sure that this is the causal factor for the backfire.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Quad throttles on a 3s? Fri, 15 July 2005 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai wrote on Fri, 15 July 2005 14:23

Yeah, admittedly mine was compromised by a bolt on my exhuast which snapped (after the extractors) and dropped half of the exhaust down an inch... Im now 95% sure that this is the causal factor for the backfire.

ya think?? Laughing

point is tho that it can, will and does happen...

at least we all agree plenums are good Wink
Jezza
Regular

June 2002
Re: Quad throttles on a 3s? Fri, 15 July 2005 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if your underbonnet temps r high enough to ignite fuel....i think u would have other issues to worry about...

and how many street cars do you know that have enough reversion to cause issues?

[Updated on: Fri, 15 July 2005 04:55]

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Quad throttles on a 3s? Fri, 15 July 2005 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not really, remember under bonnet temps soar when you are sitting on the grid, and drop dramatically when in motion. It is quite normal for a race car to have blistering hot temps on the grid.
Jezza
Regular

June 2002
Re: Quad throttles on a 3s? Fri, 15 July 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i guess so, but most high output na 4cyls run them without issues....so i dont see one...
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Quad throttles on a 3s? Fri, 15 July 2005 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So after all this what TB's are the ones to use one a 3S?
Jezza
Regular

June 2002
Re: Quad throttles on a 3s? Fri, 15 July 2005 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id use a DCOE manifold and DCOE throttle bodies Razz
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Quad throttles on a 3s? Fri, 15 July 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
While i would make a custom and use 20v throttle bodies.

Either that or some of those nice alloy throttle plates from Meridian/Speedflow/EFI Tech/any number of other places.

Then again i would probably run twin fuel rails, and down throat injection....
Jezza
Regular

June 2002
Re: Quad throttles on a 3s? Fri, 15 July 2005 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bit off topic

but whats the port spacing on a 20v? as in, centre of port to centre of port? would like to know if i can make a manifold to suit a 12a
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Quad throttles on a 3s? Fri, 15 July 2005 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jezza wrote on Fri, 15 July 2005 15:12

id use a DCOE manifold and DCOE throttle bodies Razz

yeah cos thats ideal Wink Laughing

my personal preference for EFI TB's are "EFI hardware" and "TWM". both have great designs and the fuel rails and linkages are easily adaptable (important for custom fitting)

as with any good TB setup, you are looking at about $1200-1500 for the TB's alone...
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Quad throttles on a 3s? Fri, 15 July 2005 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Fri, 15 July 2005 14:59

ones that are the right size for the desired intake velocity Wink
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Quad throttles on a 3s? Fri, 15 July 2005 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Fri, 15 July 2005 16:04

Cool1 wrote on Fri, 15 July 2005 14:59

ones that are the right size for the desired intake velocity Wink

Why didnt I know that.
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Quad throttles on a 3s? Fri, 15 July 2005 06:24 Go to previous message
im in the process of getting some 20v throttle bodies cast up so they can be 45mm 48mm or 50 mm they will come with linkages and will bolt up to the trd 3sge inlet and of course any 20 valve motor
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Hypothetically speaking (NA JZ Engines)
Next Topic:HELP!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:45:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00673508644104 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.