Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Help: AE71 Corolla Rear Drum Keeps bursting.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
roman209
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Help: AE71 Corolla Rear Drum Keeps bursting. Sat, 09 July 2005 10:23 Go to next message
Hiya,

On my AE71 corolla, the back left drum, the brake cylinder keeps on bursting off.

What i mean is that the rubber diaphram which goes on one side of the cylinder keeps bursting off and brake oil comes out of it. I have tried to replace just the rubber, and have also tried replacing the whole brake cylinder.

Mind you, it only happens when i am reefing the handbrake or i am using it hard.

Anyone got any ideas how i can fix this for good or what could of possibly caused it to keep bursting off.

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
GTI16V
Regular

May 2002
Re: Help: AE71 Corolla Rear Drum Keeps bursting. Sun, 10 July 2005 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it possible that the backing/mounting plate is bent.
slapper
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: Help: AE71 Corolla Rear Drum Keeps bursting. Sun, 10 July 2005 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like slave piston over extending ...
drum past wear limits?
brake shoes past wear limits?

hmmmmmm
Slapper
roman209
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: Help: AE71 Corolla Rear Drum Keeps bursting. Mon, 11 July 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep that is what appears to be happening. The piston moves out too far and pops off.

What is acceptable wear on the shoe and the drum?

Thanks
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: Help: AE71 Corolla Rear Drum Keeps bursting. Mon, 11 July 2005 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your drum & shoes couldn't be worn enough for this - wheel cylinder piston being pushed completly out of its bore.
you've got the wrong shoes and/or adjuster, or it's assembled wrong & missing parts.
the "rubber diaphram which goes on one side of the cylinder"
is just the dust cover and is there to keep OUT dirt/water/smegma, and is not meant to hold IN anything, except that it will initially hold brake fluid that is leaking past the pistons seal when worn.
roman209
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: Help: AE71 Corolla Rear Drum Keeps bursting. Tue, 12 July 2005 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok cheers for the info.

Ill give it another look tommorrow and tell you what i find.

But yeah it does sound odd, it is always the same cylinder. I have replaced the cylinder as well so it cannot be that. Has to be something else in the drum.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Help: AE71 Corolla Rear Drum Keeps bursting. Wed, 13 July 2005 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if one of the brake shoes is frozen/stuck the slave can only push out on one cylinder - then it's possible that you'll pop it right out if shoe wear allows that much movement.

i'd check all the other stuff (e.g. self-adjuster, springs, shoe) that they move and are in the right spot.
roman209
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: Help: AE71 Corolla Rear Drum Keeps bursting. Thu, 14 July 2005 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the replies.

I had a look today, i took the right side off to compare.

The adjuster was not wound in all the way. It was only wound in a few threads. I rebuilt it and winded the adjuster in so that to match the left side- with only 2 threads or so showing.

Is it possible that this could cause it from popping out? Or should i still look for something else?

EDIT: Everything else seems to be inorder and was the same on both sides except for that adjuster.

[Updated on: Thu, 14 July 2005 09:48]

slapper
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: Help: AE71 Corolla Rear Drum Keeps bursting. Fri, 15 July 2005 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roman209 wrote on Thu, 14 July 2005 19:47

The adjuster was not wound in all the way. It was only wound in a few threads. I rebuilt it and winded the adjuster in so that to match the left side- with only 2 threads or so showing.

the adjuster does *not* need to be the same both sides. The adjuster sets the "at rest" position of the brake pads.
If it was wound out a long way then either the pads or the drum are too worn.

The adjuster does not affect how far the pads need to be pushed to engage against the drum - ie. it doesn't affect how far the brake cylinder needs to extend. It affects how far you have to push the brake pedal - check your pedal, it's probably quite low now.

If I recall correctly, the diameter (and tolerance) of the drum should be stamped inside the drum itself - read + measure.

For some reason, your brake cylinder is over-extending ... you *just* need to work out why! Smile

If it's not worn pads and/or drum, then check that your backing plate isn't bent. Check also that your drum isn't out of round (although you'd probably have felt this through the pedal).

Also - make sure you actually have the correct brake shoes in there.

A stuck shoe still shouldn't let the other shoe move any further than usual ... ie. it shouldn't let the piston over shoot.

Slapper

bugger: I just realised I wrote all that without having looked at the drums on my ae71 at all ... this is all based on KE25 experience. I don't know whether the AE71 has any self adjustment happening - if not, then my experience with the KE25 should be valid.

[Updated on: Fri, 15 July 2005 02:45]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Help: AE71 Corolla Rear Drum Keeps bursting. Fri, 15 July 2005 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KE70 has self adjusting..

maybe the brake backing plate is positioned incorrectly, such that the slave cylinder is not centered between the brake shoes?

1. check drum inside diameter.
2. check brake shoes are correct ones Wink
3. check position of slave cylinder is correct.
4. replace/fix anything rooted.
5.enjoy properly working brakes.
roman209
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: Help: AE71 Corolla Rear Drum Keeps bursting. Sun, 17 July 2005 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers for that.

I relooked over it and compared it again to the otherside. I still havent bleed the brakes yet and tested it.

I noticed that there was something stopping it at the base. When i really had a look under it one of the shoes is actually bent where the shoes meet at the bottom.

Got any ideas how this can happen? But that is most likely what is causing the problem.

Ill replace them tommorrow.

roman209
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: Help: AE71 Corolla Rear Drum Keeps bursting. Mon, 18 July 2005 12:02 Go to previous message
Ok i replaced them.

Ill see how it goes. They were pretty badly bent.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:6 day 20v conversion! yay!
Next Topic:diff for ae71 or ke70
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 11:36:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052480697631836 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.