Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Track days/hill climbs/motorkhana... where and how do you start?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
urban_myth
Regular

December 2004
Track days/hill climbs/motorkhana... where and how do you start? Wed, 13 July 2005 11:29 Go to next message
I was wondering how you become involved in motorsport and the like? I'm not into being really competetive just yet, i just wanna have a chance of punting my car hard for the fun of it and developing my skills so i can compete in events later on down the track as im only a beginner 17 yr old. I've heard people mentioning car clubs and stuff, but where do I start?
  Send a private message to this user    
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Track days/hill climbs/motorkhana... where and how do you start? Wed, 13 July 2005 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first of all join a cams affiliated club, gets a cams license go to some of their meetings and club meets motokhana's, track days or drift days or whatever they hold and go from there.
Once i get a better car at the end of this year i wanna join a cams affiliated club and gave some fun woot.
urban_myth
Regular

December 2004
Re: Track days/hill climbs/motorkhana... where and how do you start? Wed, 13 July 2005 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, so what are some cams affiliated clubs in sydney or no more than 2 hours away?
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Track days/hill climbs/motorkhana... where and how do you start? Wed, 13 July 2005 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Search the CAMS website, they have a list of affiliated clubs.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Track days/hill climbs/motorkhana... where and how do you start? Wed, 13 July 2005 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i too want to get into track days and tarmac racing (long time dream to do targa tassie and the adelaide classic). need to get me another aw11 first though. Smile
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Track days/hill climbs/motorkhana... where and how do you start? Thu, 14 July 2005 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Wed, 13 July 2005 21:36

first of all join a cams affiliated club, gets a cams license go to some of their meetings and club meets motokhana's, track days or drift days or whatever they hold and go from there.

Pick the . . . R I G H T . . club !

Some are owner's clubs (kinda like toymods) who do a bit of everything, some are circuit-based clubs, who are centered around a particular track/venue: http://www.piarc.com.au/ (Phillip Island GP circuit)

Look around all the websites, get a shortlist, and check-out their evemts calender. If you're still undecided, emial a few people and ask a couple-O-questions that will give you a feel for whether they'll be a GOOd FIT for what YOU'RE AFTER . . . .

Hope that helps. Smile
M.J.H
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: Track days/hill climbs/motorkhana... where and how do you start? Thu, 14 July 2005 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
urban_myth wrote on Wed, 13 July 2005 22:03

Ok, so what are some cams affiliated clubs in sydney or no more than 2 hours away?

http://www.mgcarclub.com.au/htmpages/clubOrg/clubO rg.htm

Give these guys a ring as they have a hillclimb coming up for anyone in your position.
A come and try day with cheap entry and licence etc.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Track days/hill climbs/motorkhana... where and how do you start? Fri, 15 July 2005 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wouldn't the MG car club frown upon you signing up with a toyota?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Track days/hill climbs/motorkhana... where and how do you start? Fri, 15 July 2005 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nope cos thats where ribfeast went for a motorkhana day in his cressida Wink
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Track days/hill climbs/motorkhana... where and how do you start? Fri, 15 July 2005 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Fri, 15 July 2005 10:59

nope cos thats where ribfeast went for a motorkhana day in his cressida Wink

Just because he signed up and they let him compete doesn't neccessarily mean theyll want a flood of non-MG members just to participate in their events.

For all we know there could be more circumstances (he may own an MG, he may know someone else in the club, et cetera)
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: Track days/hill climbs/motorkhana... where and how do you start? Fri, 15 July 2005 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there are quite a few cams affiliated clubs around where the name of the club is misleading.

i know of 2 off the top of my head:

my club, the "ballarat light car club" lets anyone join. you dont even need to have a car, and if you do, it sure doesnt have to be "light", ppl have cars ranging from fiat nikki's to v8 commodores.

another is the "ford four car club" and as far as i know you dont have to have a 4 cyl ford to be in it

edit: we also get invited to maserati sprint days at winton, and i sure as hell dont own one of them :/

[Updated on: Fri, 15 July 2005 01:18]

Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Track days/hill climbs/motorkhana... where and how do you start? Fri, 15 July 2005 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fair enough Smile That's good to hear! I'd certainly like to give one of those motorkhanas a shot, but not until my car's got new suspension and a manual boxen behind it Very Happy
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Track days/hill climbs/motorkhana... where and how do you start? Fri, 15 July 2005 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Put it this most car clubs don't really have a shit load of money, so as long as a person is gonna pay money to go in their events they probably wouldn't care. But they will probably have a disclaimer such as toymods does at dyno days, saying to win a trophy you must be in an toyota powered car, or for the MG club it might be tocompete in an MG.

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Track days/hill climbs/motorkhana... where and how do you start? Fri, 15 July 2005 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Obviously their are exceptions though with some clubs that wanna stay with their roots, ie I don't think a HSV club would let someone in a ford join, or some of the more elitist clubs aka porsche/ferrari, may not let you in unless you have one
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Track days/hill climbs/motorkhana... where and how do you start? Fri, 15 July 2005 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in sydney, north shore sporting car club apparently did a lot of track work.
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Track days/hill climbs/motorkhana... where and how do you start? Fri, 15 July 2005 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bear in mind that for track days at Wakefield, you don't need club membership. You just turn up to a 'no speed limit day', buy a clubcomp license on the spot, and go out and have some fun.

http://www.wakefieldpark.com.au/index.cfm?pageid=p g110966696edoras
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Track days/hill climbs/motorkhana... where and how do you start? Fri, 15 July 2005 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That represents great value for money, especially if you go more than once a year.

$120 for your first time, a whole day (or until your tyres + brakes run out) around wakefield park!?

That's great!
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Track days/hill climbs/motorkhana... where and how do you start? Fri, 15 July 2005 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fuck yeah hehe once i replace the rona and confident in my new car i'll be down for one of them Smile
M.J.H
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: Track days/hill climbs/motorkhana... where and how do you start? Fri, 15 July 2005 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Merudo wrote on Fri, 15 July 2005 10:55

Wouldn't the MG car club frown upon you signing up with a toyota?

Any cars are welcome in the club.
It started out as a MG only thing in the 50's but now it's open to all cars.
Besides the MG only people went off and started an MG only club in the late 80's and they aren't interested in motorsport.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Track days/hill climbs/motorkhana... where and how do you start? Fri, 15 July 2005 04:56 Go to previous message
when the mg clubs next motorkhana (open for anyone to have fun) i might have a go with the rona, i went to their site but couldn't really make sense of it.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Don't mind me, I'm just blind and special
Next Topic:Is it worth it?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 13:46:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0078082084655762 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.