Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
unforgiven
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Connecting rod Fri, 15 July 2005 08:18 Go to next message
Hey guys, sorry this is a really novice question but i don't know the answer to it! The conrod has 2 rings on each end, does the big end connect to the crankshaft or the piston??

I appreciate your help alot!
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Connecting rod Fri, 15 July 2005 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow Shocked

crank
unforgiven
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Connecting rod Fri, 15 July 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you.
unforgiven
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Connecting rod Fri, 15 July 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does any one know if conrods are mainly press forged? or cold forged? or any other type of forging.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Connecting rod Fri, 15 July 2005 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most conrods are just cast, some (forgies) are press forged.
unforgiven
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Connecting rod Fri, 15 July 2005 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awesome, thanks for the info.
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: Connecting rod Fri, 15 July 2005 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
double WOW Shocked Shocked
almost No rods are cast, except for lawnmower engines, and why would it make a bit of difference, may i ask?
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Connecting rod Fri, 15 July 2005 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From my limited knowledge of metalurgy some things that I use are now hot forged instead of cold formed from barstock and cold pressed or forged. It (at least they quote) greater strength and less stretch/flexation. So it may not be that unreasonable question if the asker has some knowledge of these things, how they will effect strength and the application they are looking to apply it to.
unforgiven
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Connecting rod Sat, 16 July 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers greenie!

Allencr, i thought it would be the other way around, i took one out of a mower and it was forged, cheap and nasty. It doesn't make any difference, i just needed a bit of info because im writing an engineers report on the conrod and there is very little info on the internet, or anywhere infact.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Connecting rod Sat, 16 July 2005 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lmao,you must have know youd get flamed for that question, thank god they didnt get you to do a engineers report on a rotary or turbine! imagine a 4ag with a 20mm crank journal,the harmonics would be insane. glad to see you now need a engineers report on modified lawn mowers,so that K&N filter and wide wheels dont get you a defect notice.lol please tell me your not in your 4th year of your degree!if you are,keep me informed of the things you engineer when you finish so i can stay the hell away from them{london bridge is falling down,falling down}. just kidding!god i have finally stopped laughing,wait no still laughing.makes me feel like walking into a seminar of computer geeks and asking"now how do i connect to the internet!lmao
ok now i have really stopped laughing.

mick

p.s dont take it to heart unforgiven,you know idiots like myself prefur laughing at someon elses expense,makes us feel better about ourselves!
Laughing

[Updated on: Sat, 16 July 2005 22:57]

allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: Connecting rod Sun, 17 July 2005 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
big & little end, or crankpin & wrist/gudgeon pin end.
also its shape/design I beam, H beam, oval or some other, like
forked for some V-twins that aren't offset like Harley...
pin type - pressed fit, sliding/floating or clamped.
rod type - two piece or single that's on a pieced together crank.
cap location type on a two piece - is it indexed with dowel pins, or by shoulders or "cracked" on a machined parting line.

is the cap on an angle so it will fit through the cyl. bore?
is there any thing extra to lubricate the pin & cylinder and piston cooling?
don't forget its tension load!!!! it isn't all about compression
loads under power.
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: Connecting rod Sun, 17 July 2005 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
big & little end, or crankpin & wrist/gudgeon pin end.
also its shape/design I beam, H beam, oval or some other, like
forked for some V-twins that aren't offset like Harley...
pin type - pressed fit, sliding/floating or clamped.
rod type - two piece or single that's on a pieced together crank.
cap location type on a two piece - is it indexed with dowel pins, or by shoulders or "cracked" on a machined parting line.

is the cap on an angle so it will fit through the cyl. bore?
is there any thing extra to lubricate the pin & cylinder and piston cooling?
don't forget its tension load!!!! it isn't all about compression
loads under power.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Connecting rod Sun, 17 July 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lmfao!
mick
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Connecting rod Sun, 17 July 2005 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What was I smoking when I replied... I was thinking about pistons and typing about conrods (thus the "Forgies" comment).
I don't entirely agree with the "No conrods are cast" comment though.

Not very many conrods are cast and most likely no vehicle currently in production uses cast conrods, however, to say they don't exist in any automotive application is wrong.

Many manufacturers used cast rods at least until the 70/80's... mostly in low RPM wide tolerance engines though. (Pontiac, Buick etc.)
Even the cast rods are cast with the molten steel under pressure though.

"most" OEM rods are forged (hot) using carbon steel
most aftermarket forged rods are made the same way just to a higher quality spec and usually with a higher grade steel or alloy.

Some rods are machined from billet but only really for once off type work.

Some higher quality rods are forged and then fully machined which pretty much gaurantee's there will be no surface faults.

Then there is titanium rods which can be forged or machined from billed.
unforgiven
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Connecting rod Sat, 23 July 2005 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick wrote on Sun, 17 July 2005 08:23

lmao,you must have know youd get flamed for that question, thank god they didnt get you to do a engineers report on a rotary or turbine! imagine a 4ag with a 20mm crank journal,the harmonics would be insane. glad to see you now need a engineers report on modified lawn mowers,so that K&N filter and wide wheels dont get you a defect notice.lol please tell me your not in your 4th year of your degree!if you are,keep me informed of the things you engineer when you finish so i can stay the hell away from them{london bridge is falling down,falling down}. just kidding!god i have finally stopped laughing,wait no still laughing.makes me feel like walking into a seminar of computer geeks and asking"now how do i connect to the internet!lmao
ok now i have really stopped laughing.

mick

p.s dont take it to heart unforgiven,you know idiots like myself prefur laughing at someon elses expense,makes us feel better about ourselves!
Laughing

I'm in year 11 fuckwit.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Connecting rod Sat, 23 July 2005 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
even worse Laughing being in year 11 you should know everything.lmao
mick
unforgiven
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Connecting rod Sun, 24 July 2005 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How the hell does that work? And stop doing " Laughing " you look like a cock.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Connecting rod Mon, 25 July 2005 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heheh I think you guys upset him. Poor dear.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Connecting rod Mon, 25 July 2005 01:02 Go to previous message
looks like he is Norbie!lmao. but to show how nice a guy i am unforgiven, i asked my 6 year old son to help you with your project, if it helps.he can explain how an engine works for you etc.he has grown up in a race car workshop so he can answer the questions you have.
mick
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:w5* shifters
Next Topic:Building EFI systems.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 17:23:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067319869995117 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.