Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Wed, 13 July 2005 05:50 Go to next message
Ladies and Gents,

For the newly installed thermo fans (EL Falcon) on the Mk2 (with 7M-GTE), for a given thermostat opening temp, what is the theoretical ideal temp to turn the fans on/off with the sender in the top tank.

Allan has used a Corolla one when fitting his thermofan setup, and from memory Ed_ma61 fitted a Magna one, but was wondering what the general consensus is ?

The fans are wired for a sender that is Normally opne, but will provide and earth once the required temp is reached.

Cheers

Michael B
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Wed, 13 July 2005 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine is set to turn on 14deg above the thermostat temp, and turn off about 10deg after turn on.

Thermostat is 82degC, they are set to turn on at 96degC, they go off about 86degC.

Car runs about 84-85degC while cruising.

Takes about 2mins of idling at traffic lights before fans turn on.
They are only on for about 30secs before they turn off.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Wed, 13 July 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers .

Any idea of what the std thermostat temp is for the 7M ?

About to do some more searching.

Cheers

MB
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Wed, 13 July 2005 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here are a couple of things that may help

gianttomato wrote on Sat, 01 January 2005 13:12

Measure the potential mounting area. Go to shop buy range of thermo fans that will provide best coverage (you can get up to 16" blades). Then look up Tridon catalogue for thermatic switches. Find one that becomes closed at 90 and opens at 85 degrees (or whatever temp you desire) and buy. Go home. Mount fans. Connect wires and thermatic switch - switch needs to go in a water gallery somewhere (thermo housing is usually pretty handy and most have an M16 x 1.5 thread). Enjoy.

http://users.tpg.com.au/nbdean/thermodiagram.png

[Updated on: Wed, 13 July 2005 05:58]

bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Wed, 13 July 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am 90% there CrUZ, but just after some advice/reinforcement/actual data on what range to use. The wiring is actually all done, just need to select the switch.

Since the rad is alloy, will need to make up a boss, and depending on what I can source is what I have to tap the boss out to.

Cheers

Michael B
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Wed, 13 July 2005 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't suggest on what range to run the 7MGTE thermo at.

If its a 92deg thermostat (it will either be 92 or 88, I doubt its 82), then 14deg, or 106degC will probably be too high.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Wed, 13 July 2005 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

7MGTE - 90916-03083 82deg

I stand corrected.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Wed, 13 July 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I restand corrected

Quote:

88Deg C is the factory installed item.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Wed, 13 July 2005 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TSRM says 88degC thermostat.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/a/A_13. html
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/co/CO_0 8.html
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Wed, 13 July 2005 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting thread.. i've made the mistake of having a thermostat that opens at 82deg. then the thermo fan switch is on at 85 deg, and turns off at 80. which is below the thermostat temp.

So once the fan comes on, it can never get the temp down enough to turn itself off.

Once you are driving it switches off usually.

Need to put a higher temp switch in I think.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Wed, 13 July 2005 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the help CrUZsida.

I guess that I'll aim at the tems that you initially mentioned.

I was hoping that Ed (Kristian) Oates Wink would have chimed in with what he had on the 7M that he setup.

Cheers

Michael B
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Thu, 14 July 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i use 90 on 85 off switches on my 7m, on my uncles 75 series cruiser and my dads Lt1 jag. they all work perfect.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Thu, 14 July 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forgot to mention those are out of sv21 camrys, ae82/92 corollas
and a couple of others. they're a hexagonal fitting with a single wire plug coming out of them.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Thu, 14 July 2005 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers Blake.

BTW, PM coming.

Michael B
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Fri, 15 July 2005 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great thread. Interesting diagram on the first page; want to know which thermo-switch would be best to use on my 3S-GTE and stop my permo-fans being "permo". Wink My temps barely get above 65°C due to earlier fears that the repaired head wouldn't handle the heat... so far it's been great. I'd usually have a thermo-switch at the base of my radiator but there's a plug there instead. Is there anywhere else I can put another thermo-switch, or is it best to use another switch in the plugged location?

Cheers. Smile
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Fri, 15 July 2005 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wel, get this. Some AE92 (i think) thermos come on at 50 and go off at 45!!!

one question...WHY?
I proved my doubtful suspicions when i went to repco and went through their thermo fan switch selection. Yep, 50 on 45 off, and it is the switch thats for the engine cooling.

I installed one on my 302 before i knew this...and wondered why the fans were on all the time. I now have a 85 on 80 off for it. I believed 90 on 85 off was too hot for the poor old thing Smile

I will also be installing a 90 on 85 off onto my 7mgte or 7mgze going into the ms85 i have.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Fri, 15 July 2005 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What car are the 90 on 85 off switches from Blake?
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Fri, 15 July 2005 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as above..

SV21 CAMRY

AE82 COROLLA.

ST162 Celica

pretty much any late 80 to early 90 model front wheel drives (before fans were ecu controlled). they say "90B" engraved into the copper.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Fri, 15 July 2005 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahhh, missed that post previously

Cheers
Big Rob
Regular

March 2005
Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Fri, 15 July 2005 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would the 90 on and 85 off switches be wise to use in the 1G also? And also what do you guys mount these in. I have a davies craig adjustable switch from my mates dad and we kinda installed the thing dodgy. Like having the trigger power connected dirct to the battery (turns on anytime and likes to kick over my alarm) as we had no idea where to get ignition power from.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Fri, 15 July 2005 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
90 on, 85 off should only be used for cars with an 82degC thermostat.

If you have an 88degC thermostat and the sensor is accurate it would be on way to long.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Fri, 15 July 2005 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Programmable ECU's rock Razz Gives you an easy way to look at the temps under all conditions, then set the fan to do whatever you like. And so much better looking than those Davies, Craig looks-like-it-was-part-of-an-old-hot-water-service switches!
Big Rob
Regular

March 2005
Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Fri, 15 July 2005 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so anyone know what temp the thermostat is in the 1G? Also where abouts do you mount these suckers. I'm asuming in the top hose, but do you have a t piece which the valve sits between the radiatior and block? Tap into the radiator? What? Sorry kinda new to this Smile
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Fri, 15 July 2005 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1GGTE would have a 76" thermostat i believe Confused

But yes the 90 on 85 off would be ideal.

Mrshin: i cant afford 3k for a programmeable ecu Wink
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Sat, 16 July 2005 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
great thread. was just about to start one asking what temps i should put on the 1G-GTE. lol it was already answered. save me waiting for a reply
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Sun, 17 July 2005 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok did everyone sort out their "thermo" issues??
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Sun, 17 July 2005 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I recently enquired about the thermo-switch off a GT-Four and it seems to be a similar one to the RAV4. But $130 from Toyota? Ouch. Shocked
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Sun, 17 July 2005 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Sun, 17 July 2005 22:26

ok did everyone sort out their "thermo" issues??

Pretty much. Just a matter of finding the right switch, getting a tap for the thread and making up the boss and get it welded on with the thermofan brackets.

Thanks for all the help peoples. Smile
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Mon, 18 July 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just put it in your 7m thermostat housing michael? Confused theres a spare spot in there waiting for it...
Big Rob
Regular

March 2005
Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Tue, 19 July 2005 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just to keep this going hehe. Anyone know if the 1g has a place in the thermostat housing already waiting for a thermal switch? One wonders if there was already a spot in the housing already, why didnt toyota put a therma fan there in the first place? Its not as if they were a cheap car. Actually when i think about it, how is that little fn acivated? Does it turn on when the AC is pushing alot of cold air?
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Tue, 19 July 2005 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the Aircon fan is controlled via the switch on the dash but also on the air con pressure system. ie if you have no gas in your system and the ac isnt working, the fan wont go. Also is the case with when you have AC on, but the heater not cooler.
Make sense?

With regards to hooking them up, i do have a diagram somewhere. you need 2 5 pin relays. One with a siamese output 87, and one with open/close 87, and 87a.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Tue, 19 July 2005 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Mon, 18 July 2005 15:45

just put it in your 7m thermostat housing michael? Confused theres a spare spot in there waiting for it...

Not on a GTE though.
Big Rob
Regular

March 2005
Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Tue, 19 July 2005 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the info about the fan. yeah wiring it up wont be a problem(except for finding ignition power, still am clueless about that) the hardest part i find about doing this is mounting the thermal switch. Just cause i have never done anything like this before.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Tue, 19 July 2005 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i found a kit at jaycar for 30 bucks. it if full adjustable and can even vary the difference between the on/off temps. it uses an NTC which can be put into a bolt and screwed in or i may just screw it to the housing using a slightly modified washer. it will need a little tuning to get it right but i don't even think i will need to worry about what temp it is doing it at. just watch the temp gauge and make sure it isn't on for hours at a time lol.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Tue, 19 July 2005 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Tue, 19 July 2005 16:43

Not on a GTE though.

take a pic of your thermostat housing for me. Allan used his thermostat housing on his GTE to fit it in Confused

The reason these ones are good to have is they are EXACTLY the same thread as the thermostat housing sockets. IE it looks like it was meant to go there!!

[Updated on: Tue, 19 July 2005 09:32]

ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Tue, 19 July 2005 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where are you meant to buy "real" switches from anyway? just the local auto shop? and what are they usually worth?
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Tue, 19 July 2005 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toyota ones you either get from the wreckers or they are $60 from repco. Champion brand. ask for one off an SV21 camry. its better to get one from a wreckers due to you needing the plug though....
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Desired temp range of water temp sender for Thermo fans ??? Tue, 19 July 2005 21:18 Go to previous message
V8_MA61 wrote on Tue, 19 July 2005 18:55

bbaacchhyy wrote on Tue, 19 July 2005 16:43

Not on a GTE though.

take a pic of your thermostat housing for me. Allan used his thermostat housing on his GTE to fit it in Confused

The reason these ones are good to have is they are EXACTLY the same thread as the thermostat housing sockets. IE it looks like it was meant to go there!!

I'll double check !!!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4.5 ratio?
Next Topic:18RG, need new OS pistons
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 20:21:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067720413208008 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.