Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Fixing the rust under the tyre in an ra65

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
michaelhaynes110
Regular

June 2005
Fixing the rust under the tyre in an ra65 Sat, 16 July 2005 06:02 Go to next message
Pulled up the tyre and noticed there was a fair bit of rust underneath it in the well. I scraped all the loose stuff off and put on some rust converter. In some places it has actually rusted through and I can see the muffler. What would be the best way to fix these holes (biggest one size of 2 50 cent peices). I am thinking that it will need to be temperature tollerant as the muffler is right underneath it and it will also need to be rather strong. I was thinking of using some of that liquid metal stuff. What did you guys do to your rust holes? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be best?
  Send a private message to this user    
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: Fixing the rust under the tyre in an ra65 Sat, 16 July 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The best thing to do would be to have some metal plates welded in to cover the holes.
michaelhaynes110
Regular

June 2005
Re: Fixing the rust under the tyre in an ra65 Sat, 16 July 2005 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aside from the cost...would the fuel tank have to be taken out to weld next to it?

I would prefer not to weld it.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Fixing the rust under the tyre in an ra65 Sat, 16 July 2005 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cut out the rust and replace it with new metal.
that's what i've done to all my celicas.

I can't think of any other real option.

Mookie
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Fixing the rust under the tyre in an ra65 Sat, 16 July 2005 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Taking the tank out would be A Damned Good Idea. I'd probably attack it with the wire wheel to clean it up, then get to work with some steel and form it around, then weld it in, grind, paint, etc. There's probably plenty of folks out there who'd try and fix it with fibreglass, but I wouldn't gaurantee it lasting forever...
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Fixing the rust under the tyre in an ra65 Sat, 16 July 2005 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
michaelhaynes110 wrote on Sat, 16 July 2005 16:40

Aside from the cost...would the fuel tank have to be taken out to weld next to it?

well if you don' remove the tank, please post pictures of your car burning to the ground and any close-ups of your wounds (if able to operate a camera)

Quote:

I would prefer not to weld it.
depends on how thorough your safety inspection person is - i had to replace fibre-glass patches covering up rust-holes in my RA23 many years ago - i think the DoT prefers the underside of your vehicle to be metal or something reasonable solid.
michaelhaynes110
Regular

June 2005
Re: Fixing the rust under the tyre in an ra65 Sat, 16 July 2005 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The car just had a roadworthy on friday so I guess they didnt look or didnt care.
Ta22lover
Regular

February 2005
Re: Fixing the rust under the tyre in an ra65 Sat, 16 July 2005 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
use fiberglass, its the easiest option, and you dont have to worry about the tank.

just cut loose all the rust u can see, and simply fill it with fiberglass, im pretty sure it will last as long as you have your car.

its not a critical construction, so on an inspection fiberglass will do the job anyway, only place you cant use fiberglass is on the frame and other areas like that. altough i have used fiberglass on my frame several times, and they all passed inspection.

another option is to use chemical metal, mega metal, steel epoxy, such things, they work fine on small areas.
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Fixing the rust under the tyre in an ra65 Sat, 16 July 2005 17:15 Go to previous message
What about the body roll and metal bending in that area wouldnt the fibreglass break or snap ??

just a thought ...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Pix of 1jz Hoses??
Next Topic:Car officially hates me
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 11:17:09 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0042150020599365 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.