Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
AE82 2Door
Occasional Poster

July 2005
4age Troubles Sun, 17 July 2005 02:07 Go to next message
Hey guys havin troubles with my 4age. It has had a few troubles with starting and the starter does need replacing but recently it just started stopping while driving. I thought that it may be the battery is drained cause of the starter but i after the second time it cut out i charged the battery and it stil won't start. The starter doesn't always turn over but when it does there's no spark at all. Even from the coil. A few weeks ago i replaced the exhaust manifold gasket and had to tak the dizzy out. Imarked it and put it back in and all was fine for two weeks.
Then this problem arose. I thought about maybe a bad earth or something that my explain inconsistent starting troubles but i'm not to crash hot with EFI cars so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  Send a private message to this user    
AE82 2Door
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: 4age Troubles Sun, 17 July 2005 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
by the way it's an import with a 100kw but has the 87kw plenum and i don't have a manual for it and the fuses inside are all japanese so i don't know exactly what i'm dealing with some of the time. I don't know if this makes a difference but i thought i'd let you know!!
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4age Troubles Sun, 17 July 2005 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you re-checked the timing at all with a timing light since you put the dizzy back in? and if you have did you do it properly by bridging the diagnostic ports?
AE82 2Door
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: 4age Troubles Sun, 17 July 2005 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no cause i don't have a timing light and how do you use the diagnostic ports?
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4age Troubles Sun, 17 July 2005 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the diagnostic port should be up near where the wiring loom goes through the firewall, its a little black box thats says diagnosis on top of it, you need to flip the cover back and using a peice of wire, paperclip whatever, bridge the conections E1 and T. then with those bridged the idle should change a bit, then using the timing light you adjust the dizzy to optimum, should be about 10deg BTDC, then when right tighten the dizzy and pull the bridge you made. you may have to buy a timing light, or better yet see if you can borrow one from somebody in your area, (wherever that is) or you could take it to a local garage to get the timing checked.

but will the car start at all atm?

if not, maybe if your stater does need replacing, I would start there.

if so, the starter should have nothing to do with it stopping while running, that could be due to out of timing.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4age Troubles Sun, 17 July 2005 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm you said you have no spark from the coil, maybe your coil is dead??? I don't know how to check them sorry, maybe go ask a mechanic that one, or see if you can borrow a coil from somebody else with a corrolla to test?

could also be no spark because it may be a bit out of time, maybe try cranking it while you have the dizzy slightly loose, try turning it, maybe it just not picking up at the right time.

and the fuses shouldn't matter if you can't read them or not, just go through them and check to make sure none are blown

thats about all I can think to try.

sorry man

[Updated on: Sun, 17 July 2005 10:54]

AE82 2Door
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: 4age Troubles Sun, 17 July 2005 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anyone know how to test the coil cause i don,t know anyone that has a spare one. But i had a thought! The Exhaust manifold gasket was blown and i had a leaky dizzy O-ring which was causing oil to blow up and fall in the spark plug wells which was shorting the plugs out to the block! Now this happened a few weeks ago but could this cause the coil to die?
and how can i do the timing without a timing light?
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: 4age Troubles Sun, 17 July 2005 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Easiest way to check a coil is to swap it with another. Even if it isnt the problem, its always good to have a spare Wink . I once had a problem where the car would just stop dead, and after a few minutes everything would be ok again. Took me ages to figure out it was the coil, because i had just replaced it along with filters/plugs/leads etc as part of a service. I put the old one back in, and the car ran on that one for another 5 years till i sold it.
shelldrake
Regular

May 2005
Re: 4age Troubles Mon, 18 July 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If a coil is working properly it should spark 40mm in open air.

There is a devive available that looks like a spark plug but the gap can be adjusted by a screw thread to gaps this large. You just plug it onto a lead then crank the motor and look for spark.
AE82 2Door
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: 4age Troubles Mon, 18 July 2005 03:12 Go to previous message
Yeah but it's not sparking at all so i'm unsure wether it's the coil or something else doing it?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4AGE feels sluggish
Next Topic:Checking coil?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 05:47:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049409866333008 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.