Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Putting on a scoop.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
michaelhaynes110
Regular

June 2005
Putting on a scoop. Fri, 15 July 2005 13:53 Go to next message
I like the look of a tasteful bonnet scoop and feel that my car could use one Wink

Now what I need to know is:

• How do I attach it?
  • How do I cut the hole in the bonnet?
  • What do I need to stop it from rusting?
  • Will water go down it? and if so what will happen then?
  • Am I just better off putting one on for show rather than actually using it for its venting qualities?
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Putting on a scoop. Fri, 15 July 2005 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What kind of car, what kind of scoop...

If you're planning on putting a forward facing scoop that is attached to nothing on just any car, chances are you'll feed air under the bonnet where it isn't wanted, increase pressure, and harm ventilation (not that I'm picking on people who put a WRX scoop on their Lancer/Hyundai... am I?) Instead, a properly placed bonnet VENT to remove hot air might be more useful - only use a scoop when you have something to feed (engine air intake, top mount intercooler), or want to look like a generalised tool.
michaelhaynes110
Regular

June 2005
Re: Putting on a scoop. Fri, 15 July 2005 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got nothing to feed but I like the look of them. Its on a ra65. So you reckon maybe a scoop in the middle and vents on the outside would do a better job...or a scoop and raised bonnet at the back.

I dont really care about what use it is (I still don't really want a fake scoop), I am more interested in the questions I have asked in the previous post.

[Updated on: Fri, 15 July 2005 14:12]

warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Putting on a scoop. Fri, 15 July 2005 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its all depends on what kind of scoop really, you can just get bolt on scoop which is quite easy to put on.

but if you decide to get a moulded one then you will need to cut a hole in the bonnet with an angle grinder and treating the edges with paint so it doesnt rust, the scoop will be best put on with polyeurothane so it stick quite strong and put some putty around the edges to blend it in with the rest of the bonnet, and then obviously paint it.

water entering the engine bay shouldnt harm it, but i wouldnt put the hole above the dizzy or the spark plugs.

in my opinion if you dont need one , then just get a bolt on one for looks.

Karl
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Putting on a scoop. Fri, 15 July 2005 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin wrote on Sat, 16 July 2005 00:02

If you're planning on putting a forward facing scoop that is attached to nothing on just any car, chances are you'll feed air under the bonnet where it isn't wanted, increase pressure, and harm ventilation (not that I'm picking on people who put a WRX scoop on their Lancer/Hyundai... am I?) Instead, a properly placed bonnet VENT to remove hot air might be more useful - only use a scoop when you have something to feed (engine air intake, top mount intercooler), or want to look like a generalised tool.

perfect. Wink couldnt of said it better.

Quote:

How do I attach it?

best way is a with screws through from the underside of the bonnet into metal tabs that should be in the scoop.

Quote:

How do I cut the hole in the bonnet?

air saw is best, but a jigsaw will do the job just as good. just dont cut through any of the underside bonnet bracing or you'll have legality issues.

Quote:

What do I need to stop it from rusting?

prime and paint the exposed metal after you've cut the hole.

Quote:

Will water go down it? and if so what will happen then?

think about it. you've got a big hole facing forwards, what will happen when it rains? water normaly wont effect an engine bay/engine, unless it happens to go into your electrics, dist etc.

Quote:

Am I just better off putting one on for show rather than actually using it for its venting qualities?

it sounds like you want it for show anyways, facing it forward like mentioned above will not be venting your engine bay.

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Putting on a scoop. Sat, 16 July 2005 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A rear-facing scoop might have a chance of being at least partly functional, as it will help draw air out of the engine bay instead of trying to stuff it in. Remember it's easy getting air into the engine bay, getting it out is the hard part!

Personally I think it will look awful whether facing forwards or backwards, but that's a question of taste I suppose...
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Putting on a scoop. Sun, 17 July 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the one i made for my feroza is rearward facing to help vent hot air out of the engine bay, need it specialy once i get the turbo in there.. Evil or Very Mad
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657917/3
NUT_54C
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: Putting on a scoop. Sun, 17 July 2005 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what would happen if you just shoved a scoop on (front mount) would this fuck up the areodynamics or cause my bonnet to bend or anything?

inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Putting on a scoop. Sun, 17 July 2005 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When we did the scoop for my gze we had to cut the center support out... But basically after the hole was cut the bonnet was quite flimsy, so we used sikaflex around the bracing of the hole and also reattached the frame to the skin where the original adhesive had come off...

This made it quite rigid again, then the scoop was bolted on... unfortunately making it rigid made it dip in the center so it looks a bit shite, but meh, not buying a new bonnet and scoop for a looong time Laughing
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Putting on a scoop. Sun, 17 July 2005 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My suggestion would be to try to measure where the hot spots are under your bonnet.
Then fit vents to these spots. the air passing over the bonnet creates a sucking effect with will draw the hot air form your engine bay increasing cooling.

Bonnet scops purely for looks are ghey.

I'm trying to fit one to my late 80s subie with WRX motor fitted & was avoiding the WRX version because of all the tossers with them on their Excels & Festivas.
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Putting on a scoop. Sun, 17 July 2005 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And what kind of scoop are we are telling about ?
WRX, GT4, Hornet, Nissan Narva ute, Ice cream, Torana.........
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Putting on a scoop. Sun, 17 July 2005 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
towe_001 wrote on Sun, 17 July 2005 19:48

And what kind of scoop are we are telling about ?
...,Ice cream, .........

Laughing Laughing

2 to go please...

Should keep an intercooler cool though.
PyRoMaNiAc
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: Putting on a scoop. Sun, 17 July 2005 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
might be a really silly and stupid question, but what about using washers to raise the rear of bonnet. With the use of a front facing scoop would this force the air out the back of the bonnet?

Puts on flame proof suit!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Putting on a scoop. Sun, 17 July 2005 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as discussed previously (and pics posted twice) the base of the windscreen is a relatively high pressure region, and raising rear of bonnet may not actually help, but hinder venting.. ideal place seems to be about 2/3rds of the way along th ebonnet, ie after front high pressure, but before windscreen high pressure region.

the prob is that there is a massive amount of air coming thru the radiator, but it is difficult to remove it.. need to either exclude air from under engine bay or provide low pressure vents on tp (celica GT4 are ok.. has raised bit before vent to give a small localised low presure region). by puttign a front facing scoopm you are just introducing mroe air into engine bay.. while it may help force more air out thru the rear of raised bonnet, this increased enginae bay pressure could decrease the amount of air going thru the radiator.... lower engine bay temps, higher radiator temps....

bestest way is to have front air dam that sucks air out from underneath, or well placed rear facing vents on bonnet...
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Putting on a scoop. Sun, 17 July 2005 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Mon, 18 July 2005 00:09

bestest way is to have front air dam that sucks air out from underneath, or well placed rear facing vents on bonnet...

dunno if i would want more air than normal being taken under the car, could premote front end lightness at speed. lots of mid mount cars have a bonnet vent to take air out through the radiator and up over the bonnet to help front end downforce.
NUT_54C
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: Putting on a scoop. Mon, 18 July 2005 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wouldnt you have to be travelling at considerably speeds to worry about a scoop affecting the down force on your front end?? but then again i'm not a areonaughtical engineer perhaps we should get one in to answer all our problems Wink
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Putting on a scoop. Mon, 18 July 2005 10:01 Go to previous message
NUT_54C wrote on Mon, 18 July 2005 13:27

wouldnt you have to be travelling at considerably speeds to worry about a scoop affecting the down force on your front end?? but then again i'm not a areonaughtical engineer perhaps we should get one in to answer all our problems Wink

bonnet vents of the right design 'help' with the front end downforce of certain cars, like F50's, lotus elise etc.
i made a small one for the feral, it isnt as large as i would like, i would prefer to go into the frunk area to give a more gradual flow for the air that will come in behind the radiator and over the bonnet. but i cant with my subs in there.
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/3571/lightsandvent10te.th.jpg http://www.madpsi.net/Aero-kits/MadPSI/Type%20B%20Vented%20Hood/Madpsi.net%20-%20SW20%20-%20Vented%20Hood%20Diagram.jpg
bonnet enginbe bay heat exctraction scoops/vent are different.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:autometer tacho problem
Next Topic:ae86 Steering shake
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 18:25:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0072619915008545 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.