Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Brake pad knock?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Brake pad knock? Sun, 17 July 2005 09:01 Go to next message
Ever since my last visit to Wakefield, every time I go round a corner, I get what seems to be a metal to metal squealing noise.

Plus, in low revs under say half load, I get a knocking which I can feel through the floor.

Any suggestions?
I've checked all the bolts in the suspension, the discs aren't hitting the calipers or anything else.

The only thing I can think of is the pads aren't fully releasing & then getting knocked around.

BTW, ST205 GT4 4 piston calipers & discs.
  Send a private message to this user    
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Brake pad knock? Sun, 17 July 2005 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is the nocking random or cyclic? I had a random nocking noise, found i had one caliper bolt had come loose, and as susp/steering moved the pad would grab on the disk (only very slightly) and the caliper would tap on the caliper mount.
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Brake pad knock? Sun, 17 July 2005 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Definitely cyclic.
That's one set of bolts I hadn't checked. Will do that right now...
mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: Brake pad knock? Sun, 17 July 2005 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do you sometimes loose the pedal after this squealing noise?

towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Brake pad knock? Sun, 17 July 2005 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Something else, have you changed the pads at all ?
Something similiar happened to me when i swapped the rear disc pads, i came to the conclusion that it was the wheel bearings were stuffed. Bought the bearings tried to do it myself wound up taking the car to a mechanic who asked why the bearings needed replacing for when the sound is from the pads rattling away. Some anti-squeal glue (or whatever its called) fixed it.
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Brake pad knock? Sun, 17 July 2005 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope, pads have been in for a while (though I did take them out at Wakefield to file the edge off).
The pedal works fine & the caliper bolts are all secure too.
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Brake pad knock? Sun, 17 July 2005 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it the same wheel you whacked on the bridge on the wisemans run? Also, excuse my ignorance but is your car FWD/4WD? Razz Razz
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Brake pad knock? Sun, 17 July 2005 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The noise seems to come from both front wheels.
The rims have been off & back on since then, with different wheels.

While the wheel alignment is still out, this wouldn't cause a noise like what I'm hearing.
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Brake pad knock? Sun, 17 July 2005 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh yeah, & its FWD.
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: Brake pad knock? Mon, 18 July 2005 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silly question but...
When you took the pads out, did you remove the anti vibration clips that hold the pads in place? This would explain both the squealing and the knocking...
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Brake pad knock? Mon, 18 July 2005 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They came out with the pads & went back in with them.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Brake pad knock? Mon, 18 July 2005 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got the same deal wagonist, new pads, all shims installed, and every now and then I get a regular scrape of metal on metal. I'm thinking maybe it could be the slotted rotor scraping on the pad? (not sure if you have slotted or flats)
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Brake pad knock? Mon, 18 July 2005 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I've got slotted discs. Which is why I think its the pads knocking.
I didn't ever have the squealing sound until I went to Wakefield.
I haven't pulled the pads out since, but I'm going to do that when I get home this arvo & give them a clean & a quick scuff.
NVD05X
Regular

June 2003
Re: Brake pad knock? Mon, 18 July 2005 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe your pads or discs warped from the extreme heat of racing...
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Brake pad knock? Mon, 18 July 2005 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im sure you can tell by the type of noise, but have you thought about the wheel bearings? These would make a grinding noise at low speed, and can also "knock" at certain RPM's

Or, as a last stab, what about the CV's?

Sorry, Im just running out of ideas
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Brake pad knock? Mon, 18 July 2005 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not getting any vibration through the steering wheel indicating warped discs.

After cleaning a lot of excess brake dust out of the discs slots & giving the pads a wipe down, the noise was still there last night.
I'm actually starting to lean towards a rear wheel bearing failing. They are older than the car & came off wrecks when I did the rear disc conversion.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Brake pad knock? Tue, 19 July 2005 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you even think it might be wheel bearings jack it up and throw the spare wheel under the rail next to you and give it a good hard shake top to bottom and side to side with the steering lock engaged for the front and see if there is movment and they spin free{pads can rub if new}.
dont leave a wheeling bearing loose and dont hammer it.
mick
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Brake pad knock? Sat, 30 July 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick wrote on Tue, 19 July 2005 17:06

if you even think it might be wheel bearings jack it up and throw the spare wheel under the rail next to you and give it a good hard shake top to bottom and side to side with the steering lock engaged for the front and see if there is movment and they spin free{pads can rub if new}.
dont leave a wheeling bearing loose and dont hammer it.
mick

This metohod of checking for a stuff front wheel bearing doesn't work for cars with front driveshafts & CVs.

Reason being that the driveshaft is pushed through from the back & a nut done up on the outside. This keeps everything clamped together.

BTW, it was a problem with the front left wheel. Not the bearing, but the part of the hub where the inner race sits was worn, causing what is supposed to be a press fit, to have slack in it. The front left hub came apart without needing to be pressed. Lucky that driveshaft nut was done up Razz

I ended up putting new bearings in & using the outer hub part of an ST205 front hub I had. I had been considering throwing them out because I thought nothing was compatible. The part I used is the only one. Everything else is different, including larger bearings.

Thanks everyone for you help.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Brake pad knock? Sat, 30 July 2005 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol.... i didnt read last post

post removed Razz

[Updated on: Sat, 30 July 2005 07:44]

kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Brake pad knock? Sat, 30 July 2005 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it does,just have to know what your feeling.shouldnt be any play in rolla hub.i always have a set of bearings for the front, as spares.i change them a soon as there is play, as my rolla does alot of high speed corning etc with plenty of grip.cheap insurance.
mick
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Brake pad knock? Sat, 30 July 2005 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The squealing noise is being caused by the pads.
The pins holding them in position have worn, causing the pads to be able to move around in the caliper slightly when there's no pressure on them.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Brake pad knock? Sat, 30 July 2005 08:57 Go to previous message
annoying sound isnt it!
mick
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:turbo exhaust housing cracks
Next Topic:weber 32/36