Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Power Steering Filter...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Power Steering Filter... Sun, 17 July 2005 12:32 Go to next message
To my knowledge the two main killers of steering rack seals are

*heat
*oil contamination

I'm fitting an oil cooler to reduce the effects of heat, but has anyone fitted a filter to their PS lines, or heard of it being done? It makes sense to me...

Obviously the filter would be easiest to mount in the low pressure side, but there are a number of places that it could be fitted...

*directly after the low pressure rack outlet (but before the cooler)
*after the oil cooler (but before the reservoir)
*after the reservoir, just before the inlet to the PS pump

It makes most sense to mount the filter before the PS pump (this removes the chance of any crap going through the system), however this hose is quite large, and I don't know of any filters that size! Of course that is something that I can research! Smile

The other options seem pretty well the same to me (prbly slightly better off mounting the filter before the cooler to prevent the chance of crap lodging in the cooler...), and the small hose side opens up more generic filters I suspect...still this is a much poorer implementation in comparison to the first method however I feel Smile

One thing I am uncertain of is the flow rate required! What's the average flow rate of a Toyota PS system? By a rough calc a fuel filter can flow about ~3L+/min flat out...intuition would suggest to me that would be enough flow, I may be wrong however! Help here?

It appears from a google that some cars actually come with PS filters (some BMW's etc), it may be possible to find one of them. I may stop off at repco at some stage and see what they say...

Cheers
Wilbo
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Power Steering Filter... Sun, 17 July 2005 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
See what you can find I suppose, but you might be onto a good start with an engine oil filter in the return line, at least as far as ease of implementation is concerned. Having it before the container shouldn't be too bad, as how often do you add oil to your PS system anyway - unless it's leaking, in which case your rack is knackerated anyway. Then again, changing the oil every now and then probably wouldn't hurt either...
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Power Steering Filter... Sun, 17 July 2005 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we have power steering/auto trans filters at work, little black metal doobie that you can have either 5/16 pr 3/8 line.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Power Steering Filter... Sun, 17 July 2005 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, auto transmissions have oil filters so one of them would be best since P/S uses ATF as well. Dunno what they look like or what sort of fittings they have though.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Power Steering Filter... Sun, 17 July 2005 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought auto boxes had their filters inside the box?? Like you take the bottom of the auto and the filter is in there...

I think something like what feral mentioned sounds GUN. Inline, piece of piss Wink
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Power Steering Filter... Mon, 18 July 2005 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How about something like this?

http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page25.html

Slight overkill perhaps. Laughing
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Power Steering Filter... Mon, 18 July 2005 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Z9 filters are great Smile nice and cheap!

mounting one for the PS is an ideal replacement for the tube loop toyota love to use as a cooler
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Power Steering Filter... Mon, 18 July 2005 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ha! I think a Z9 is a little overkill! Hell that'd add a few Kg's of weight! ha!

feral seems to have the exact thing that I was thinking of! Smile Except I think it would be great if I could find a giant version and put it in the hose to the PS pump....Razz I don't like my chances so I might just put a little on pre oil cooler Smile

Cheers
Wilbo

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Power Steering Filter... Mon, 18 July 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Definately put the filter on the outlet side of the PS pump, you wouldn't want the thing to cavitate.

Putting it after the pump but before the rack would be best for extending the life of your PS rack but may cause a slight drop in pressure.

Putting it on the return line from the rack would ensure you don't have problems with pressure or cavitation but wouldn't give the same protection to the rack.

I was thinking a hydraulic filter setup may be suitable and readily available, however, I have also heard that some commodores have PS filters from factory.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Power Steering Filter... Mon, 18 July 2005 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the problem with doing it post pump is that the high pressure PS lines are fixed/solid lines and EXPENSIVE to get made Sad

i havent heard of cavitation problems with ps pumps and ps coolers etc - i dont see a filter on the low pressure side being much different, a filter coildnt have much more pressure drop/restriction than a ps fluid cooler all the way up the front could it?? (remembering PS coolers are on the low pressure side of the pump)
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Power Steering Filter... Mon, 18 July 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Mon, 18 July 2005 19:03

the problem with doing it post pump is that the high pressure PS lines are fixed/solid lines and EXPENSIVE to get made Sad

i havent heard of cavitation problems with ps pumps and ps coolers etc - i dont see a filter on the low pressure side being much different, a filter coildnt have much more pressure drop/restriction than a ps fluid cooler all the way up the front could it?? (remembering PS coolers are on the low pressure side of the pump)

I think he is suggesting that putting the filter post reservoir but pre pump would be a bad idea...if the filter did run out of flow the pump would caviate...scratch that idea Smile

I think I'll just go with a post rack, pre cooler inline filter...not the best but better than nothing Smile

Witzl is on the money about high pressure lines and the cost (unless there is a filter that toyota HP lines screw into, in that case it may be an option...)

Cheers
Wilbo
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Power Steering Filter... Wed, 20 July 2005 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Repco had some, they wanted $35 for them tho...bah bit out of my price range! (heck air is out of my price range atm Sad), and honestly I thought this was a little over priced when you can get a fuel filter for $20...

feral, how much are yours man?

Cheers
Wilbo
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Power Steering Filter... Mon, 29 August 2005 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just thought I would let everyone know that if you look inside the older style PS reservoirs (the metal ones) they have a fine gauze mesh inside them anyway! So they have a crude filter already.

Cheers
Wilbo
cressida_1jz
Regular

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Power Steering Filter... Mon, 29 August 2005 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a JZA70 resivoir on my 1J Cressida.If you guys have the old style ones like mine,you can pull the top off them and clean them out.Im going to do mine on Tuesday and il let you guys know how i went.The P/S guys said if they are blocked,It will starve the pump and make a slight noise.Thats what my p/s is doing ATM...

[Updated on: Mon, 29 August 2005 13:00]

barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: Power Steering Filter... Sun, 04 September 2005 14:16 Go to previous message
hey i am looking to clean my power steering in a jzz30. I have read how to flush the thing but what is the method to clean the resivour, do you simply just remove the metal cannister and give it a good dose of degreaser???
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:I have a JZX81 half cut
Next Topic:Difference between rear AE86 TRD greens, blues, & KYB silver adjustables?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 08:48:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053889751434326 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.