Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Revs
Occasional Poster

June 2005
4AGE feels sluggish Sun, 17 July 2005 11:57 Go to next message
Hi,
I own a 1990 Corolla SX with a 16 valve small port 4age engine and to me it feels abit sluggish. Although this is my first car it doesn't go as quick as some people have told me. Are they supposed to be quick as a swift GTi?

It is stock as a rock and has currently just click over to 270,000km but there are no problems with the engine, it runs fine it just doesn’t feel like a 100kw to me especially when I have more then 2 people in the car.

Does it sound like that my compression is gone down?
Is it due for a rebuild?
Should I just change the piston rings, seals and head gasket?
Or should I just be happy with what I got?
What is the ¼ mile time and 0-100 seconds on the AE92 Corolla SX?

Any response will be most appreciated
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4AGE feels sluggish Sun, 17 July 2005 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What are you comparing it to? A stock AE92 isn't a quick car by any means. A current model Hyundai hatchback would probably give it a good run for its money, and I don't hear many people complaining about them being too quick!
Revs
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: 4AGE feels sluggish Sun, 17 July 2005 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i know their not a monster of a car but something like a swift gti, because the kind of engine its got it should be quicker, its a 1.6 liter 16 valve 4 cylinder with compression at 10:3 it should be a quick little car.
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 4AGE feels sluggish Sun, 17 July 2005 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Revs wrote on Sun, 17 July 2005 21:57

Hi,
I own a 1990 Corolla SX with a 16 valve small port 4age engine and to me it feels abit sluggish. Although this is my first car it doesn't go as quick as some people have told me. Are they supposed to be quick as a swift GTi?

It is stock as a rock and has currently just click over to 270,000km but there are no problems with the engine, it runs fine it just doesn’t feel like a 100kw to me especially when I have more then 2 people in the car.

Is it due for a rebuild?

0-100 in about 8 seconds to 9 seconds
1/4mile 16/17seconds @ 140KMPH

The 100KW is really smooth, it feels slower then the AE82 but they are pretty much neck and neck on a straight drag with the SX a nose infront.

Grab yourself a compression tester and check the results. These engines are only 1.6L so dont expect soo much power. Its all about the conditions and drivers skills
RP_st162
Regular

May 2004
Re: 4AGE feels sluggish Sun, 17 July 2005 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A swift gti is no match for the 4age, teh swifts just 'feel' real quick becasue they weigh sfa (around 700-800kgs!)

And because of the lack of torque, dont expect big things from the 4a when you got you, plus 2 mates in the car. Your best bet giving it a thrash is by yourself and it would be safer as well.
ae86dave
Regular

May 2005
Re: 4AGE feels sluggish Sun, 17 July 2005 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so does this mean my ae86 will be slow? its got a red top big port with extractors,cold air intake and a microtech mt-8 running it.the car has only two front seats and basically no interiour.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4AGE feels sluggish Sun, 17 July 2005 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup Wink but it will be just like all the other sprinters...
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4AGE feels sluggish Sun, 17 July 2005 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corollas (including Sprinters Razz) were designed as economical city runabouts... not sports cars. Don't you people understand this? If you want a fast car, buy a Supra or something!
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4AGE feels sluggish Mon, 18 July 2005 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I like my shopping trolley and the ability to bring the back seat bottom up, then lay the seats down and have a mini wagon of sorts...

Can carry heaps.
raaf86
Regular

June 2005
Re: 4AGE feels sluggish Mon, 18 July 2005 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well with any corolla if you have more than 1 person in the car its a dogger, check the timing, also you got to take into consideration it has a lot of k's on it.

by the way corollas may be "round about cars", but they are pretty impresive with just a little mods done to them.
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 4AGE feels sluggish Mon, 18 July 2005 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cracked a 15.9 1/4 mile with a 100kw in my ae82 Smile

but yes fuckall torque makes it feel slugish as hell when you've got a couple mates in the car, but on yur own just wind it up thru the hills at aroun 6-7000rpm and thats what im talkin bout Very Happy

Ohh and Gti's?? lol the 4age eats em for breakfast. they're only like 70kw's it just they're in a light ass car.

Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: 4AGE feels sluggish Mon, 18 July 2005 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86dave wrote on Mon, 18 July 2005 03:01

so does this mean my ae86 will be slow? its got a red top big port with extractors,cold air intake and a microtech mt-8 running it.the car has only two front seats and basically no interiour.

Heh. Yes. If you want it to be fast, put something bigger than a 1.6 into it. Either that, or turbo it.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4AGE feels sluggish Mon, 18 July 2005 03:28 Go to previous message
Revs wrote on Sun, 17 July 2005 21:57

Hi,

Is it due for a rebuild?

what kind of maintenance have you had done to the car whilst youve had it..

It might be that it needs some basic maintenance like new plugs fuel filter air filter an oil change and the timing checked.. Its supprising how much of a difference these little things can make
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:5 speed 77 Corolla conversion
Next Topic:4age Troubles
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 13:57:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051729679107666 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.