Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
hiperboost and external wastegate Sat, 16 July 2005 08:42 Go to next message
Ok, I will start a new thread as I am a bit confused on this matter.

I have asked quite a few people how I am supposed to hook this up to an external wastegate.

I was told to T-piece from a boost reference point (cooler pipes or inlet mani) then from one side of the T-piece go through the box (bleed section) and the outlet of the box goes to the bottom of the wastegate. The other side of the T-piece is supposed to go through the wastegate controller and to the top of the wastegate.

This is how I had it setup when I hit the dyno and it was boosting uncontrollably. No matter what you do it, the wastegate would not open.

So I had a fiddle and eventually got the wastegate to open. Now the problem is that I don't understand why it is working the way it is.

I have one boost reference point (no t piece) that goes through the bleed valve and goes to the top of the wastegate. The bottom of the wastegate is not connected at all. This was the only way that I could get the wastegate to open. Can someone explain to me why this is as it seems to go against the logic of how a wastegate works.

Thanks
Chris
  Send a private message to this user    
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: hiperboost and external wastegate Sun, 17 July 2005 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone?
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: hiperboost and external wastegate Sun, 17 July 2005 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i will see if i can get some images of how my boost controller hooks up to the ext wastgate. and them email them to you, also one thing i have experanced is have you swaped the hoses around on the boost contoroller, as they could be on backwards. i did this once and boost comes on but very slowly.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: hiperboost and external wastegate Mon, 18 July 2005 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah haven't tried that. I will give it a go. The pics would be appreciated. Thanks Smile
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: hiperboost and external wastegate Mon, 18 July 2005 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well doing some searching on toymods, people are giving a couple of different ways of connecting it, and using google gives another.

This is the better of the threads IMO: http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=72365&rid=883&S=2bb456aa5fd2ad7d8c0d90a7 081f806a&pl_view=&start=0#msg_678283

From what i understood..... the top port of the wastegate is the reference pressure, and the bottom is the control pressure; such that the differential pressure (DP) is what actuates the wastegate valve. Of course that means that if you have a 6psi spring, then the DP would need to be OVER 6psi to open the valve.
I would have thought this kind of operation to be preffered where an electronic boost controller is used - since as boost is rising you can keep the DP low and thus the wastegate shut, and then limit the boost seen by the control pressure port to open the valve as you approach the desired pressure.

Of course the intended boost level would have to be a fair bit higher than the spring pressure on the valve, otherwise it would be uncontrollable.

**Please note: I am not an expert in the field of external wastegates. What i thought i knew has been said to be incorrect by people with more experience than me, and thus should be taken on only as a thought and not fact.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: hiperboost and external wastegate Mon, 18 July 2005 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So the problem is that the hiperboost has a valve which can slow the pressure to the top port like option 2 and has a bleed valve that can bleed air off like option 1. So it is doing both. That was what it was doing initially and it boosted like no tomorrow!

Now I have option 1 using the bleed going through the open wastegate controller (so doing nothing) and that goes to the top port. When I had that on the bottom port it still didn’t control boost. I will double check fittings when I go home tomorrow but I am 99% sure that is how it is connected at present.

I am getting a 3 bar map sensor and will be able to log boost on the laptop so I will be able to fiddle with it then.
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: hiperboost and external wastegate Mon, 18 July 2005 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris-bounce me a mail tomorrow about this-with all the info you have-and I'll give you a buzz at lunch or something. Baachy came around last weekend with his Hiperboost components, so I now know what all the bits are and what they do.

sgannon@mmal.com.au

Sean
TOY77
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: hiperboost and external wastegate Mon, 18 July 2005 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok.....

lets go

for starters, i am going to call the air inlet closest to the the valve (the exhaust) the bottom of the waste gate.

if you connect your boost line to the bottom of the gate, then you will have boost set at whatever the spring pressure is. ie.8psi.

to fit the hyperboost - teeoff this line. the box(restricter and bleed) is then conected to this teed line and attached to the top of the gate. opposed to using hyperboost on internal wastegates, start with the restrictor closed and the bleed open.
this should give spring pressure (8psi). as you open the restictor air will pass to the top of the gate. the more pressure you add to the top, the more boost you get, close the bleed when you have almost reached the desired boost level. this is the fine control. if you add 1psi to the top of the gate, you now have 9psi boost etc.

the valve that controls how fast the boost comes on goes on the line going to the bottm of the gate, on the wastegate side of the tee piece.

take a breath....
i am pretty sure this is right, having set up a few of these so far - mine was the first extwernal gate car we set these up on.

Cheers
Stew
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: hiperboost and external wastegate Mon, 18 July 2005 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MS-75 wrote on Mon, 18 July 2005 18:47

Chris-bounce me a mail tomorrow about this-with all the info you have-and I'll give you a buzz at lunch or something. Baachy came around last weekend with his Hiperboost components, so I now know what all the bits are and what they do.

sgannon@mmal.com.au

Sean

Listen to him. He one smart fella. Oh, and awesome car too !!!!
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: hiperboost and external wastegate Mon, 18 July 2005 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't laugh but here is a diagram. Is this what you mean Toy77?

http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL1006/3462116/7513250/105008481.jpg

Thanks
Chris Very Happy
dcving
Regular

May 2002

Re: hiperboost and external wastegate Mon, 18 July 2005 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep thats it, thats how mines set up Smile
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: hiperboost and external wastegate Tue, 19 July 2005 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep-agreed. That's it Chris. Smile

The 'controller' valve is a pressure relief valve that prevents any boost reaching the underside of the diaphragm until the manifold pressure exceeds the set-point.(it controls where the wasegate begins to creep open)

The other part is a bleed arrangement that supplies some pressure to the top of the diaphragm to raise the boost level of the gate system. The box in your system uses a restrictor and bleed valve to reduce the incoming manifold pressure to a lower pressure that is directed to the top of the diaphragm.

The Hiperboost isn't anything revolutionary, (it's just a restirctor and bleed setup coupled with a pressure relief valve), but it is very good as it uses industrial pneumatic parts that give fine adjustability.
TOY77
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: hiperboost and external wastegate Tue, 19 July 2005 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi,

yup thats it. i did try to draw it, but mine was worse than yours....

i should hope yours is the same Steve..... but maybe it isnt... i may have set it up wrong simply to slow you down Razz

cheers
Stew
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: hiperboost and external wastegate Wed, 20 July 2005 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TOY77 wrote on Mon, 18 July 2005 20:41

ok.....

lets go

for starters, i am going to call the air inlet closest to the the valve (the exhaust) the bottom of the waste gate.

if you connect your boost line to the bottom of the gate, then you will have boost set at whatever the spring pressure is. ie.8psi.

to fit the hyperboost - teeoff this line. the box(restricter and bleed) is then conected to this teed line and attached to the top of the gate. opposed to using hyperboost on internal wastegates, start with the restrictor closed and the bleed open.
this should give spring pressure (8psi). as you open the restictor air will pass to the top of the gate. the more pressure you add to the top, the more boost you get, close the bleed when you have almost reached the desired boost level. this is the fine control. if you add 1psi to the top of the gate, you now have 9psi boost etc.

the valve that controls how fast the boost comes on goes on the line going to the bottm of the gate, on the wastegate side of the tee piece.

take a breath....
i am pretty sure this is right, having set up a few of these so far - mine was the first extwernal gate car we set these up on.

Cheers
Stew

I have just reinstalled the boost controller and it was actually the same way as I had it before. Can you please explain to me one thing. Where you say the box "bleed and restricter" what is this restricter you are referring to?

I thought it was the black valve that determines when the wastegate opens.

Sorry, but I didn't get any instructions so don't really know what all the parts are.

I tried with the black valve closed and the bleed valve open, that equals 22psi before I let off. Tried with the black valve open and basically the same thing but didn't go as far as I let off.

Shall I do it like this? Have the black valve open as this is letting all air to bottom of wastegate as normal so no early spool. Then wind the bleed valve full clockwise so that it is then closed. I think this will yield the lowest boost level.

I would try this now but it has started raining so can't test again.

Here is an image, can you please label the bits you mean.
Thanks
http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL614/3116758/6336602/81430421.jpg
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: hiperboost and external wastegate Wed, 20 July 2005 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris,

Let me know your email address and I'll forward a copy of the installation document that I have

Cheers

Michael B
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: hiperboost and external wastegate Wed, 20 July 2005 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have the instructions but it is for internal wastegates. If yours are different it is jzpowahz@gmail.com

thanks
Chris
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: hiperboost and external wastegate Wed, 20 July 2005 22:50 Go to previous message
Chris Davey wrote on Thu, 21 July 2005 08:07

I have the instructions but it is for internal wastegates. If yours are different it is jzpowahz@gmail.com

thanks
Chris

Ah, it is probably so, so not much use. Will send it anyway, just in case.

Cheers

Michael B
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:petrol in Oil
Next Topic:st141 parts for ra23?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 02:05:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005141019821167 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.