Toymods » Tech & Conversions » TA22 Diff Problem, Tailshaft not lining up

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
-NiCkeL-
Regular

February 2004

TA22 Diff Problem, Tailshaft not lining up Fri, 01 July 2005 04:35 Go to next message
Hey guys,

I have a 1973 TA22 with a 2TG and T50 gearbox. I am having a problem with the tailshaft not lining up with the diff. Two of the bolt holes line up, but the other two don't.

Someone told me i've got either an auto tailshaft or auto diff, but i've tried several tailshafts (all manual) with no luck.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Someone please help me out!
  Send a private message to this user    
yrhkira
Regular

June 2005
Re: TA22 Diff Problem, Tailshaft not lining up Fri, 01 July 2005 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NiCkel

This if I recall correctly is a problem when using a diff centre from the RA range of Celicas.

There is a difference. The evenly spaced holes on the diff pinion flange are from later Celicas and I think TA18's and later Corollas.

A common trap when mixing and matching diff centres as we discovered many years ago when welding up diffs for Motorkhanas and motorsports.

It is relatively easy to swap front flanges between diff centres. The hardest part is stopping the pinion from turning when using a long handled socket spanner. The TA-22 Celica manuals explain how to pull the diff apart.

The other solution involves swaping universal joints on the end of the tailshaft.

Regards

Rodger

Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: TA22 Diff Problem, Tailshaft not lining up Fri, 01 July 2005 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had this exact problem, do a search and you should find it, thread was started by myself, something like "can someone identify my diff(s)".

I ended up removing the flanges from both and switching, but a word of warning, it was a REAL prick. The one i had off the car was a locker - put an axle in the vice, with much cursing, hammering and swearing i got the nut off.

The one ON the car. Well. I had to jack up the car, put both wheels on blocks (so i could get under with both wheels on the ground, open centre diff). After realising it wouldn't work any other way (including with a rattle gun), i got a friend of my old mans to come around and hit it with an oxy to heat it up. I then put a T bar on the nut, got my hydraulic jack and jacked upwards into the T bar to rotate it. It came off (at last!).

I guess my point is, it could be harder than you think Wink
-NiCkeL-
Regular

February 2004

Re: TA22 Diff Problem, Tailshaft not lining up Sat, 02 July 2005 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your help guys.

What do you suggest I do from here? I don't have another diff at the moment, do you suggest getting another flange from another ta22 diff?

Will a ta22 standard diff centre fit my exisiting diff?

The way I read it is that I either have an RA40 or similar diff with a standard tailshaft.

Give me a suggestion on the best and quickest way to resolve the problem...i'm still not sure which way is best.

Thanks for your patience guys!
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Diff Problem, Tailshaft not lining up Sat, 02 July 2005 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you've probably got a D series diff as opposed to a T series (or the other way around) mate.

trace your current bolt pattern onto something then off to the wreckers...
vin91
Regular

August 2003
Re: TA22 Diff Problem, Tailshaft not lining up Sat, 02 July 2005 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Had The same problem on my TA22 So what I did was Slot the two Holes that don't line Up. I did try to remove and change the Flange but Was Unable to. Apparantly there is no Real problem with this as I did it on advice of a Certified Mechanic.
-NiCkeL-
Regular

February 2004

Re: TA22 Diff Problem, Tailshaft not lining up Mon, 18 July 2005 02:33 Go to previous message
I managed to get a diff from a standard TA22 and use the flange from that, worked a treat.

Thanks for the help guys, hopefully the roadworthy boys like the 4 bolts in there now...hehe
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:lowering problems (ke30)
Next Topic:4AC to 4AGE conversion.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 16:00:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0035250186920166 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.