Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 3SGTE coversion to a Camry

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BigRemz
Newcomer

July 2005
icon4.gif  3SGTE coversion to a Camry Sat, 16 July 2005 03:00 Go to next message
Hey guys, i'm new to this forum and lucky enough to be a Toyota owner. I'm keen at taking out the ol 2.2 and putting in a 3SGTE engine into my 96 Camry CSi sedan. I'd like to do an aftermarket turbo build up on it and so forth. The car is a project base which will include a pretty big sound system consisting of 2x 15 inch subs, 2 amps and 4 6 inch splits, a bodykit, new tires, hi flow exhaust and lowered suspension.

If you can give me some tips on how to do the engine conversion that would be great as my budget is about $10-12000 for the whole project. About $5000 or so allocated to the engine

[Updated on: Sat, 16 July 2005 03:01]

Send a private message to this user    
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 3SGTE coversion to a Camry Sat, 16 July 2005 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Being new, alot of people will ask you to search the forums.

Look under '3sgte conversion' you will get alot of relevent information needed for your conversion.

Search is your friend, any speicific questions you have to ask. Then make a new thread about it.

Don't forget to search the dedicated celica forums/websites out there as well. More then enough information.
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: 3SGTE coversion to a Camry Sat, 16 July 2005 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
5000 will most likely be a good amount of money to purchase a gen 3 3sgte with the better ct20b turbo and also try and source urself an mr2 lsd gearbox.

a bigger turbo and aftermarket ecu will probably cost u a bit more later on, but what is described above will certainly be a great improvement.

As richie said, search around and if you get stuck, plenty of people will be willing to help u im sure.

Good Luck buddy
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: 3SGTE coversion to a Camry Sun, 17 July 2005 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Be very careful about this.
I've got a 96 Caldina which I was looking into the same conversion for.
In NSW, you need to fit an engine with the same or better pollution gear than what your car came out as factory with.
Usually, here that means fitting an engine the same age or newer than yours (easiest to justify to an engineer).

As a 96, you need to find either one of the very late Celica GT4 (Gen III) engines (SSS in Sydney have a half cut in stock at the moment for about $7k), or a GenIV from a Caldina (Tweakit had one for ~$4k, dunno if they still do)

I don't know if the rules are the same in Qld (I haven't lived there for 9 years) but you might want to check.
The Gen IV is a better motor (except for trying upgrade the turbo) than the Gen III, but the GT4 has better other bits like 4 spot brakes.

Looked at a V6 conversion? I looked at his too after finding out 4wd conversion was too expensive.
Will be a bolt in to your car, easier to engineer & I reckon could be made to go just as hard.
Last time I asked, a front cut from an Oz 97 Camry V6 was $2k. The 97- V6 manual boxes accept the MR2 turbo LSD & there's a TRD supercharger kit for them.
I've seen one of these engines in an SW20 in the US with NOS & Supercharger running 550hp at the wheels.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 3SGTE coversion to a Camry Sun, 17 July 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hes in brisbane its ok i can sell ya a complete bolt in 3sgte kit to ur camry for 7500 neg.... 180 or so kw atw Razz good fun suprise a few people

theres a few sv21's runnin round brisbane with 3sgte's so should be fine qld trans arent real bright neither are some of the engineers up here

being a 96 not sure if it will bolt in

[Updated on: Sun, 17 July 2005 10:28]

smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 3SGTE coversion to a Camry Sun, 17 July 2005 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
speak to WM Peformance in brisbane.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 3SGTE coversion to a Camry Sun, 17 July 2005 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes warren knows his shit he did the 1 only camry nice piece of machinery he has done a bit of work on my car... he rebuilt one onlys cauz a 3sgte wouldnt bolt in as it has a different front enigne mount ( i think). knows alot about 3sgte's in any car hes at brendale

[Updated on: Sun, 17 July 2005 11:03]

sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 3SGTE coversion to a Camry Sun, 17 July 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just do research on what gbox to run

i havnt seen a fwd/2wd gbox behind a 3sgte handle a thrashing without breaking

speak to someone out there that might know shit bou tthe gboxes
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 3SGTE coversion to a Camry Sun, 17 July 2005 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sideshow wrote on Sun, 17 July 2005 22:26

just do research on what gbox to run

i havnt seen a fwd/2wd gbox behind a 3sgte handle a thrashing without breaking

speak to someone out there that might know shit bou tthe gboxes

mr2 gearbox and camry v6 will take a beating, v6 is easier to do....as i said speak to WM even if you dont want them doing the conversion just for info, they have done many fwd celica and camry 3sgte conversions in brisbane.

[Updated on: Sun, 17 July 2005 13:21]

BigRemz
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: 3SGTE coversion to a Camry Sun, 17 July 2005 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That sounds very tempting Razz ...what's the best offer you can do or do you know somebody thats gets them in all the time cos i'll prob won't do the conversion for a lil while down the track, have to get rid of the repayments first Embarassed of about $4000 for the car. How much in total would i be looking for in a total conversion including gearbox, LSD, etc fitted and ready to go turn some heads?

In addition, just checked out a site called "Melbourne Car Cruise Registry" with some interesting info as such:

If you can't find/afford a Gen 3, just get a Gen 2 SW20 halfcut and you'll have everything you need for the conversion. If you look carefully you can pick up one for 2k. You can piss of the parts you don't need off the front cut as well as your old 3sge and box to the value of at least 1k. The 3SGTE is actually a fairly engine to install and a 3sge-->3sgte swap will be very easy to do. If you do the swap yourself you can knock off the whole labour component for under a few hundred dollars. If you want it done for you, then budget 1k for this. After spending 2k max, you have a turbo MR2 pushing 150kw at the engine. Add an exhaust, air filter, FCD and some more boost for the CT26 and your looking closer to 180kw which should satisfy you for a little while. After upgrading your brakes/suspension you can then persue further bolt on mods which can easily get up to 250kw at the engine on stock internals.

If that's the case, i might just got for a Gen 2 3S-GTE which would be fairly easier on my wallet and might be able to get it quicker in the short run. I can still add more boost onto the CT20 and get a healthy 180kw at the wheels and as the article above says...just keep modding it til i get 250kw at the fronts.

[Updated on: Sun, 17 July 2005 23:18]

MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3SGTE coversion to a Camry Sun, 17 July 2005 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
some points you should know.
your engine mounting postions are different therefore engine mounts need to be fabricated.
the gen 3 or above 3sgte will cost you about 4g's min for a halfcut, and i can assure you, that you will need more then 1,000 for it to be installed wired up simply because its engine mounts need to be moved, also you need a engineers cert. You will need a mr2 gearbox, (hard to find, well lsd anyways) I am not trying to talk you out of it but be very aware that this could take up the whole 10,000 that you have.

good luck
BigRemz
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: 3SGTE coversion to a Camry Sun, 17 July 2005 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
True that. But to be a bit easier, i'd probably just consider the Gen 2 since its a bit cheaper but also a lil less powerful. It has the potential of being maxed out to about 250kw, which is more than enough for a Camry. As i've stated before, i'm looking at about $6000 or a bit more to spend on an engine transplant with some mucking around etc with the other $4000-5000 or so going towards stuff like sound, bodykit, exhaust etc. Shocked

Would the GT4 185 series fit? Bloke on the Gold Coast has a half cut for about $2500

[Updated on: Sun, 17 July 2005 23:39]

smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 3SGTE coversion to a Camry Mon, 18 July 2005 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You said you have 12k to spend, the engine conversion will cost around 8k, then you need some bigger brakes, and a better handling package too, whats the point of going fast when it cant corner lol. My mate put a 3sgte in a sv21 camry and had the standard pads, he was consistantly running mid to high 13s hitting 200 every run at the drags, and he said the next day the brake pads bent like a banana, you need to get bigger brakes like the rav4 or gt4 brakes.

Is your camry the widebody like below, or the one after it?.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/577000-577999/577588_7.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/577000-577999/577588_9.jpg
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/577588/1

[Updated on: Mon, 18 July 2005 02:42]

BigRemz
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: 3SGTE coversion to a Camry Mon, 18 July 2005 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doubt it'll be hitting the drag strip anytime soon. I'd need the MR2 LSD gearbox. I'm just hoping to keep it on tarmac either straight or sideways at some points. I have found a SW20 engine for about $2200 with gearbox n everything. I doubt the conversion would cost a packet like that but i'm yet to find out. Prob just wack on some Brembo or Endless kevlar race brakes. About $3-3500 will get me 2x 1000 watt 12 inch subs, 4x 220 watt 6 inch splits, 2 amps (Mono and 4 Channel)and a Clarion head unit with its own Hard Drive that eliminates the need for CD's and stores songs for you and a L.E.D. undercar neon kit (the subs will be boxed in the boot). Bodykit will set me back about $1350 then have to spray it, fit etc. $2000 for the lowered suspension set, 17 inch rims wrapped around 235 wide Falken low pros and a high flow cat back exhaust.

I hope that's enough Cool

P.S...mine is the widebody model. No mistaking that Laughing

[Updated on: Mon, 18 July 2005 02:51]

smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 3SGTE coversion to a Camry Mon, 18 July 2005 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you have pics of your car?, whats the model number of the clarion headunit?.
BigRemz
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: 3SGTE coversion to a Camry Mon, 18 July 2005 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll have to get some piccies of the car later as mum has taken it to work today Crying or Very Sad lol. I dunno, i just walked into Complete Car Sound, looked at features n said i wanted that one. I can't really remember the model number but its a pretty slick piece of equipment to have in the car.
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 3SGTE coversion to a Camry Mon, 18 July 2005 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BigRemz wrote on Mon, 18 July 2005 12:54

I'll have to get some piccies of the car later as mum has taken it to work today Crying or Very Sad lol. I dunno, i just walked into Complete Car Sound, looked at features n said i wanted that one. I can't really remember the model number but its a pretty slick piece of equipment to have in the car.

HEHE you will have to learn the hard way, that conversions never go to plan, and they always cost and take longer than you expected. If you planning to do it now you need to be staring at atleast 10k in your bank, for the whole project, if not start saving.

Ok if you think it would be cheaper than 6k heres a rundown to show you what you need.

3SGTE engine and gearbox - $2200 as you said
custom driveshafts-mating to the mr2 box - $500
Intercooler piping - $1000
Exhaust 3inch - $1000
bigger brakes package - around $1000, (you will need this or wont get engineered)
Proper suspension package - $1000
labour around - $3000k unless your mate does it for you
engineering certificate - $500

..so thats $10200 and still there are some other costs, as you can see it wont be cheap, im not trying to scare you, just showing you the reality Wink.

[Updated on: Mon, 18 July 2005 03:31]

BigRemz
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: 3SGTE coversion to a Camry Mon, 18 July 2005 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ouch lol. My uncle is a mechanic so i'll have to see how much he'd do it for me, otherwise i'd have to face a hefty pricetag from another mechanic or someone. $3000 for labour is a bit far fetched though isn't it or is that normal? Most of this stuff ex engine i'd be able to fetch at trade price which is fairly cheaper than normal price so shouldn't be much trouble in the long run, but hey its worth the fun.

Also u mentioned i might need some extras...what are they? intercooler? FCD?

[Updated on: Mon, 18 July 2005 04:31]

MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3SGTE coversion to a Camry Mon, 18 July 2005 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 2200 engine and gear box, thats the single spinner box not the lsd, as i said they are very hard to find when found they cost an arm and leg. ie close to 2,000 or more from everywhere that has one. ring bd4's i know they have some, but sit down when they qoute you the price.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 3SGTE coversion to a Camry Mon, 18 July 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 2.2 box will take a hiding providing ur not a f**king idiot and the box has been treatd half decent before u bought it... my car pushs 189fwkw through a 2.2 box had the car has been onroad for ages not even a syncro has gone..
BigRemz
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: 3SGTE coversion to a Camry Mon, 18 July 2005 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I should be right with the spinner box yeah? Its gonna be a cruiser Camry with some occasional "legal but not legal racing" and the occasional "burn outs" here n there sometimes, but not all the time. Other than that, i just want the Camry to go hard n sound phat.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 3SGTE coversion to a Camry Mon, 18 July 2005 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lsd is over rated if i wanted lsd id go buy a kaaz 2 way lsd and put it in my box ... the box would almost certainly break then lol
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: 3SGTE coversion to a Camry Mon, 18 July 2005 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If that's all you're using the car for, a single spinner should be fine.
LSD is really useful if you need both wheels to get traction in either launching or cornering situations.
I've never really driven a FF car hard and therefor have no idea on cornering applications, but I know with FR and MR cars, I MUCH prefer the predictability of LSD for hard cornering.
I really wouldn't call it overrated though, I could never go back to an open diff.
trevtrev
Regular

October 2004
Re: 3SGTE coversion to a Camry Mon, 18 July 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you go LSD with that much torque in that thing, the first roundabout you take in the wet you will go straight and crash!

Trev
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 3SGTE coversion to a Camry Mon, 18 July 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i didnt mean overrated but for the price... i have no problem taking off dead even with a rwd car / lsd / locked diff and mine is a single spinner all in the driver , clutch control etc

and with that much torque in the wet.. how much of a wanker would u have to be to go around flogin the shit out of a powerful fwd lsd or no lsd in the wet around a corner...i dont flog my car at all in the wet...its just asking for trouble...

[Updated on: Mon, 18 July 2005 06:22]

davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: 3SGTE coversion to a Camry Mon, 18 July 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
berad wrote on Mon, 18 July 2005 16:19

i have no problem taking off dead even with a rwd car / lsd / locked diff and mine is a single spinner all in the driver , clutch control etc

Yep, well sorta Wink
I find in an underpowered car, clutch control is great for keeping the car from bogging down. But in an overpowered car, you'll have the clutch all the way out before you know it and the key becomes accelerator control.

berad wrote on Mon, 18 July 2005 19:50

i just ride the clutch a lil then clutch out then accelerate u try and luanch with any decent amount of power goin to the wheels and youll fry the tyres and wont move at all

A LSD will help rectify this big time. Breaking traction with two wheels is a lot harder than spinning one.

Anyways dude, if it's just a quick budget streeter that's going to turn a couple of heads, a single spinner is fine.
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 3SGTE coversion to a Camry Mon, 18 July 2005 13:43 Go to previous message
My mate with the 3sgte camry, would definately need an LSD if he didnt have it(he has a 1996 mr2 turbo lsd), on only 15psi it just tramps on boost fighting for traction cant get traction till 3rd gear properly, seriously the only thing that feels comparable is my friends Subzero built ser2 Gtr, it just cant get traction it just spins all fours through the gears and makes 419kw@wheels..at all fours Shocked , the camry is damn fun, but im looking at some RWD turbo fun for my next car Cool , maybe 1j cressi or soarer wel see.

[Updated on: Mon, 18 July 2005 13:46]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4-AC Tappet Adjustment Specs?
Next Topic:has it been done v6 in ta22
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 23:17:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006721019744873 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.