Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Help on a knocking problem!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RP_st162
Regular

May 2004
Help on a knocking problem! Sun, 17 July 2005 13:21 Go to next message
Hey,

for starters i drive a st162, 3sge sx celica

Driving home from work tonite i realized the car felt a bit unsettled, like i could feel every bump and vibration in the car.

then, with further driving, when letting off the accelerator and/or braking, a thumping noise occurs! like a constant bump, bump bump, then dissapears when stopped or accelerator is pressed, it sort of eases off.

it seems to be coming from the front, near the firewall. It scares the shit outta me!

Any ideas of what it could be? engine mounts? CV's? driveshafts? Exhaust hiting something?????? is it still drivable lol!

Thanks for the help in advance
  Send a private message to this user    
RP_st162
Regular

May 2004
Re: Help on a knocking problem! Mon, 18 July 2005 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone???
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Help on a knocking problem! Mon, 18 July 2005 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are your wheel nuts tight ?

Are the tyre pressures O K ?
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Help on a knocking problem! Mon, 18 July 2005 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
similar to what happend in my corolla, turned out to be the diff in the g/box was fucked.

RP_st162
Regular

May 2004
Re: Help on a knocking problem! Mon, 18 July 2005 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the first thing i checked was wheel nuts, and tye pressure. I guess it might be the gearbox then......? does this mean a new gearbox? its already been reconditioned once..........
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: Help on a knocking problem! Tue, 19 July 2005 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Engine mounts, maybe. Does it settle once you've been on the brakes a while?
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Help on a knocking problem! Tue, 19 July 2005 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prob engine mount but with out hearing it, it could be a few things! like cv's.have a look at the mounts and see if the rubber looks ok,try and see if you can get some one to rev it,it may not move to the same point as loaded but you might hear it from the engine bay.see if you can physiclly move the engine about or put a jack under the gearbox and slowly push the motor and box up see how far the mounts move! and put the jack on a strong part of the box.or if the gearbox is close to needing an oil change drop the oil out and look for metal.
mick
RP_st162
Regular

May 2004
icon8.gif  Re: Help on a knocking problem! Wed, 20 July 2005 05:52 Go to previous message
thanks for the replies.

It does settle when the brakes are aplied but once you give it some gas and let off the throttle, it will knock again. And yes the engine mounts were on there way out, i.e the rubber was cracked on the rear mount. So is this my best bet???

Also the knocking doesnt happen all the time jsut after a little bit of a thrash....

Well im gonna take it to the mechanic, and i will just have to take it on the chin Mad
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:New carby's
Next Topic:AARRH! At my wits end!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 2 06:00:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053009986877441 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.