Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
My Tax Sucks - Help Mon, 11 July 2005 23:23 Go to next message
Howdy, just attempted doing my tax return after working full time for the first time in my life. E-Tax calculated a return of $247, now i don't know if that is correct but basicaly if somebody could give me some pointers or know how on ways to maybe boost that up a bit if at all possible? Cheers.

I work as a manager at McDonalds Rolling Eyes I have 2 group certificates one from when i was still working casual the other for full time.

Gross Payments - 8568 - Withheld 1385
Gross Payments - 19586 - Withheld 3858

Deductions wise i have nothing to show, or nothing i can think of. When i quickly did up a return before i put $50 for laundry and $80 for a pair of leather shoes. Apart from that i put $20 donations. Sadly that is about all i did. I have no HECS, no centrelink or any other government shit. No investments, interest earning bullshit. Maybe i'm just whinging but surely somehow i can get some more back?

Jake.
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: My Tax Sucks - Help Tue, 12 July 2005 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
now if you'd just paid about 10K for more tax, we can start to work on something Wink

basically if you have no deductions or self education expenses, AND you haven't paid much tax, then you are not gonna get much back..

if you pay 50% tax during year, it's like forced saving, and you get a nice lump sump to spend on cars Wink (so just deselect this job as the one you are claiming tax free threshold on Wink )

Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: My Tax Sucks - Help Tue, 12 July 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds about right mate. I earned in the region of 29k last year with a tax of 10k. Tax return time was great. New engine in engine bay Razz
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: My Tax Sucks - Help Tue, 12 July 2005 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't whinge to me about tax. I got slugged with a sizeable FBT from last year. The tax man is a bad man. Mad

[Updated on: Tue, 12 July 2005 00:30]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: My Tax Sucks - Help Tue, 12 July 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Tue, 12 July 2005 08:14

now if you'd just paid about 10K for more tax, we can start to work on something Wink

I got 15k tax last year.

Tell me how to get it all pay please Stu !!!

[Updated on: Tue, 12 July 2005 00:46]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: My Tax Sucks - Help Tue, 12 July 2005 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 12 July 2005 10:46

oldcorollas wrote on Tue, 12 July 2005 08:14

I got 15k tax last year.

Tell me how to get it all pay please Stu !!!

ahh goddamit... wrote a lovely reply and timed out.. sigh..

basically.......... (without writing the essay again)

if you didn't tick the "tax free threshold" box in your TFN declaration when you started the job, you'll be paying 48.5% tax.
http://www.ato.gov.au/youth/content.asp?doc=/conte nt/39123.htm

to correct this, you need to fill in a "withholding declaration" which you should be able to get from your company, but can also get sent by ATO i think. http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc= /content/6360.htm

in fact.. you can download the bugger from here:
http://www.ato.gov.au/content/downloads/n3093-07-2 004.pdf

hope this helps Wink

note: claim yes at Question 6....

you can also elect to pay more tax at Q11...

[Updated on: Tue, 12 July 2005 01:14]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: My Tax Sucks - Help Tue, 12 July 2005 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm pretty sure that was ticked.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: My Tax Sucks - Help Tue, 12 July 2005 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh, well you can call the ATO and find out.. doesn't hurt Wink
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: My Tax Sucks - Help Tue, 12 July 2005 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It all works out the same in the end anyway. If you don't use the tax free threshold on your job then you get taxed at a higher rate and therefore receive less money per week (because more tax is paid) and then at the end of the year you feel great because you get a big refund. (Because you paid more tax than what you were supposed to.)

I am an accountant and I can claim all my self education expenses which helps a lot. You can only do this if there is a direct connection between your study and your current income earning job. So if I wasn't studying then I would also get shit all back.

You can claim up to $150 for laundry per year without receipts but you have to be able to substantiate the claim.

Do you do any travelling from store to store? If so, you can claim these km's at set rate per km without receipts.

That is about it that I can think of quickly Smile
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: My Tax Sucks - Help Tue, 12 July 2005 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im a student with $6000 HECS so far and earnt $11500, just finished the etax thinng and im only getting back like $320

Sucks, but what can you do the tax man sucks Razz

[Updated on: Tue, 12 July 2005 10:26]

Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: My Tax Sucks - Help Tue, 12 July 2005 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok.. from what i heard..if u earn less than $6k pa...u'll get all your tax money back rite..?

because i'm an international student in australia...so far i had been paid $4808..and my tax withheld is $712... am i eligable to claim $712 back or it will be less?

plus...do i need to put in the e-tax that i get allowance from my parents from overseas?

Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: My Tax Sucks - Help Tue, 12 July 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and another thing...about the interest paid by banks..

i only got the normal savings account..and if i'm right...i receive like a couple of cents for interest... do i put them down in the e-tax?

just to be sure..how do i check how much interest i receive from the bank?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: My Tax Sucks - Help Tue, 12 July 2005 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you have to put interest in if you receive $1 or more. Most banks will have a summary on the June statement.

If you are classed as an australian resident for tax (which I would think you are) you will get the tax free threshold of $6000 and you will get all your tax back. If you aren't a resident then you don't get the tax free threshold.

I wouldn't be including allowance from parents as it is just a "gift" right Wink
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: My Tax Sucks - Help Tue, 12 July 2005 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yarf, gift = gift = not income Wink

income you only put down in whole dollars, so from normal bank account that is usually a 0 Wink

then again, i get a few hundred from ING each year ... 5.4%.. pays for phone bills etc..

usually online has a summary.. commbank sucks with tat sort of thing but they recently started putting it online.. ING send outstatement of interest.

Dimmy, with your HEC's debt, save up cash and pay it off in chunks big enough to get the discount..

when you are finally in a position to pay it all off.. wait until just before end of finacial year and keep cash in ING etc before then... if you pay it off before the amount is indexed at end of finacial year, you save a bunch as you get interest on your cash in the meantime... usualyl makes a few hundred dollars difference.... even if you don't pay back till the end, what with the indexation and the interest you get from ING, it is still the bst value loan you can get Smile

heh heh, i just finihsed my eturn.. $2.5K Very Happy gotta love only working one month in a financial year Razz.. hmmm, where are those TEIN HA's Wink

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: My Tax Sucks - Help Tue, 12 July 2005 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh, when someone lodges their return by Etax, can you set your date to be american style, ie YYYY/MM/DD ? i got a weird error abotu date stuff until i changed it back to Aussie style... anyone feel like confirming? (it will not affect your return, just means you have to change back to Aussie date and then it will submit)

TIA...
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: My Tax Sucks - Help Tue, 12 July 2005 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a guy at work was also telling me you can claim upto a certain amount for donations, without requiring reciepts?
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: My Tax Sucks - Help Tue, 12 July 2005 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just got my group cert - over $35k in tax alone Mad
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: My Tax Sucks - Help Tue, 12 July 2005 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah but i'd still rather your salary then mine, no matter how much tax you pay you still take more home at the end of the day the more you pay unless your kerry packer and have great lawyers that stop you from paying tax.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: My Tax Sucks - Help Tue, 12 July 2005 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Wed, 13 July 2005 09:55

yeah but i'd still rather your salary then mine, no matter how much tax you pay you still take more home at the end of the day the more you pay unless your kerry packer and have great lawyers that stop you from paying tax.

Rolling Eyes
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: My Tax Sucks - Help Wed, 13 July 2005 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Granted, but it still sucks.
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: My Tax Sucks - Help Wed, 13 July 2005 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have a read of this:

http://moneymanager.smh.com.au/articles/2005/05/24 /1116700704100.html

10 steps to beat the tax man Smile
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: My Tax Sucks - Help Wed, 13 July 2005 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Wed, 13 July 2005 09:54

Just got my group cert - over $35k in tax alone Mad

Shocked geezuz
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: My Tax Sucks - Help Wed, 13 July 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackGT4 wrote on Tue, 12 July 2005 22:40

a guy at work was also telling me you can claim upto a certain amount for donations, without requiring reciepts?

No, any donation you claim on needs a receipt.
And only donations over $2 can be claimed.

The thing without receipts is you can claim up to $200 worth of work related expenses without receipts (ie, washing, boots, PPE etc), but you have to be able to substantiate it if they audit you.
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: My Tax Sucks - Help Wed, 13 July 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Wed, 13 July 2005 00:21

Dimmy, with your HEC's debt, save up cash and pay it off in chunks big enough to get the discount..

when you are finally in a position to pay it all off.. wait until just before end of finacial year and keep cash in ING etc before then... if you pay it off before the amount is indexed at end of finacial year, you save a bunch as you get interest on your cash in the meantime... usualyl makes a few hundred dollars difference.... even if you don't pay back till the end, what with the indexation and the interest you get from ING, it is still the bst value loan you can get Smile

That's what my folks are doing Very Happy

They offered to pay 1/2 of it so im sweet...for now Razz
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: My Tax Sucks - Help Thu, 14 July 2005 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cruzsida is right except it is $150 for D3 clothing and laundry and $300 total for work related deductions ie. D1 to D5.
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: My Tax Sucks - Help Thu, 14 July 2005 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh just make ya deductions up,
ToyCam
Regular

April 2003
Re: My Tax Sucks - Help Sun, 17 July 2005 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just got my return of 3250 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
GZE here I come

Managed to claim 4230 on car expenses from my paper delivery job. Kept all my receipts and logged all K's done
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: My Tax Sucks - Help Mon, 18 July 2005 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just a note,
if you fuck up your Etax and your are not in the country, just send a signed letter to the ATO saying what you need changed and where.
they need a personally signed copy of the letter tho so they have authorisation to go into your return and change it...
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: My Tax Sucks - Help Mon, 18 July 2005 06:19 Go to previous message
well i did my tax on saturday woot, man it rules to work in a field related to your study i get 17% of my fees back even though they are on help woooooot. So when i can actually afford to pay them up front i will get the discount plus it back on tax yay cheap uni. Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Wave Aid concert - DVD: Silvechair (or silverchair in general)
Next Topic:Can anyone translate this???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:12:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059890747070312 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.