Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
tizz
Newcomer

June 2005
help me with gearbox Mon, 18 July 2005 10:45 Go to next message
Ok firstly I have spent a day reading through and searching the info on this site and have learn't lots cheers! However I still have to make a post about this I'm sorry if its common ground, I'm a noob to toyota equiptment.

I have it appears a W57 supra box mated to a Ford 2L bellhousing as it's going in my Capri.

1. Its shorter than my Capri 5 spd. In fact, the shifter needs to come back around 80mm. If there is a shifter alternative that will sit the mount off the back directly over the end shaft cover that would be perfect.
If someone wants to hook me up or swap with my existing one or sell me one please get in touch.

2. Also, looking inside I see the round yoke that the shifter sits in. Does this need to be changed and if so whats involved?

3. whats the wrecked plastic thing I found inside the shifter mount (see pic)

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/5921/gbox17jl.jpg

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/8969/gbox27ze.jpg

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6997/gbox38xq.jpg

4. that crossmember that came with it looks like crap.. and I don't know what they were thinking with the weird clutch cable mount thats attached to the bellhousing. Something needs to bolt on there and I suppose it's a toyota mount for using the toyota fork or something any ideas??

Thanks heaps.

Send a private message to this user    
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: help me with gearbox Mon, 18 July 2005 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the rubber thing is the shifter bush. replace with new item available at most part stores.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: help me with gearbox Mon, 18 July 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow - that has to be one of the most agricultural-looking bellhousings ever built - i'm sure Dellows would have to try real hard to get something looking like that.. ouch

1. shifter position info: this tech article will help in looking for correct
plus there ed's online info: <http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/loats/technical/ma61 /gearboxes2.html> which was a bit easier to find in my bookmarks.

2. yes and no - read above article depending on the kind of swap needed to extend gearstick.

3. bushing fits around ball at end of gearstick - and then slots neatly into the round yoke thing - so new one is needed (is made of nylon, not rubber) - looks hard to do, but you shove the stick into the ball and it eventually pops on (by which time you're sure it's squashed and borked)

4a. this normally had hydraulic slave to operate the clutch -looks like a very bodgy job to mount a slave. it would need to pull the other way to suit a cable pull.

4b - take a trip to wreckers and look for gearbox mounts/isolator - you could to adapt one to the capri floorpan, and it would look neater. Get a supra or soarer or similar gearbox cross-member + mount (that was used to mount a W5x to a toyota) and then re-drilled the outer mounting holes to suit your ford.

.. and i think you cat was trying to tell you that
a, that flash is fuken bright, stop pointing it at its eyes
b, that bellhousing is a goddam, ugly looking thing, and
c, it just ate a whole rat and then vomited half of it up in the hallway closet, so you'll only notice the smell on Thursday. Razz Very Happy

tizz
Newcomer

June 2005
Re: help me with gearbox Mon, 18 July 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah ok, I didn't do the bellhousing. It's a Ford one thats been cut and shut with ugly strength brackets welded on.. ah well bellhousings are hardly a beauty pagent aye Razz

I don't think the fork is right in there, the bearing doesn't hold to the fork for starters.

But is the anything actually wrong with the setup if I put a slave for hydralic on there apart from it being heinous?

..yeah cat wouldn't get out of the way for photos, he insisted on staring at me with a stupid look on his face.

Thanks,
Tz
tizz
Newcomer

June 2005
Re: help me with gearbox Mon, 18 July 2005 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
has anyone got a pic of their clutch fork and maybe a hyralic servo on from their W* gearbox?
tizz
Newcomer

June 2005
Re: help me with gearbox Thu, 21 July 2005 01:24 Go to previous message
Man, I've got a big decision to make.
We boogied it up in the workshop tonight with what came with it. We used a spare ford pressure plate (with no clutch plate) and bolted it up and it fits.
It uses the toyota clutch fork and metal cased thrust bearing. A pivot has been welded inside the bellhousing and the bracket on the outside purely for a hydrolic setup..

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1728/gbox1hu.jpg

..but I didn't plan on using a hydrolic setup, I wanted the simplicity of a cable. But since this half has been done it would seem silly to some not to use it. But this means having to do what on the pedal side of things?? The pedal box would have to be modified to push a master somewhere (enginebay space is very limited)...

For cable, I can't just use the Ford clutch fork, because the pivot is in the way, and the bellhousing is slightly shorter (10mm, because the supra shaft is shorter) which means I would have to cut of the pivot, and slice 10mm off the back of the ford clutch fork I suppose. AND the bearing wouldn't be correct for the fork so I would have to find a old metalcased 2L bearing and get the middle machined out to fit the larger Supra shaft AND get a different bearing face pushed on if I wanted to use a flat fingered heavy duty pressure plate..

any thoughts? (btw you can see the difference between type9 and W57 here ... ones like a tall skinny man and the other is a stout beefcake..

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1136/gbox29ic.jpg
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:22RE idle problems
Next Topic:has my boost controller gone?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 06:14:11 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046489238739014 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.