Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RedLiner
Occasional Poster

July 2005
TRD Air Filter Mon, 18 July 2005 01:46 Go to next message
On the weekend i purchased a TRD air filter for my car.

The filter came in a box sealed in plastic.

It was also pre oiled.

The guy at the parts store didnt mention anything else however when i opened the box and read the instructions it said that the air filter has to be washed and oiled before installing with TRD air filter cleaner and TRD air filter oil.

Is this really necessary? I mean why would it come pre oiled if it was meant to be washed?

This is the first mod im doing to my car so i am quite new at this.

Just looking forward to installing this new air filter.

And being new to this forum sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.

For what its worth i drive a 2003 Corolla Sportivo.
  Send a private message to this user    
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: TRD Air Filter Mon, 18 July 2005 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like it's already oiled.
I wouldn't bother washing then re-oiling.

Where did you buy it from ?

BTW I like the Sportivo Rolla with 2ZZ-GE motor Very Happy Very Happy
RedLiner
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: TRD Air Filter Mon, 18 July 2005 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bought the air filter from Penrith Toyota under the impression that they were the only ones that stocked TRD parts.

They are slowly phasing out TRD parts as they are proving to be unprofitable.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: TRD Air Filter Mon, 18 July 2005 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's because K&N make a product as good, but cheaper Smile
RedLiner
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: TRD Air Filter Mon, 18 July 2005 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes but i still have warranty on the car. I dont want to void the warranty.
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: TRD Air Filter Mon, 18 July 2005 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Mon, 18 July 2005 12:04

that's because K&N make a product as good, but cheaper Smile

I've read that K&N let in a heap of dirt and make little if any more power !

True, TRD are overpriced but so are all Toyta spare parts.

See :"http://www.lexus.australia.as/technical_pages/Soar er%20V8%20Ram%20Air%20Intake.htm"

Independent Air Filter tests are never the same as the claims on the side of box you buy them in.
This is a free article that yet again shows that a K&N drop in panel filter has ZERO PERFORMANCE GAINS.
Autospeed WRX powerup
The only advantage listed is that is can be reused. It cost 3.5 times as much as a standard filter though and has to be carefully cleaned every 5000km.

This site tests the amount of dirt going through a K&N filter compared to a standard BMW one. As usual the K&N lets more dirt through than the standard filter.
BMW K&N dirt test

So if you went into a shop and on the side of the aftermarket airfilter package was the following:

"No Performance Gain!
Lets more dirt in!
Costs 3 times more!"
Would you buy it? Probably not. So do yourself a favour. Go down to the Toyota dealer and get yourself a standard airfilter:
Here's the part number:
17801-46060

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: TRD Air Filter Mon, 18 July 2005 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RedLiner wrote on Mon, 18 July 2005 12:07

Yes but i still have warranty on the car. I dont want to void the warranty.

i thought they could only void your warranty if they could prove that the modification caused the problem the K & N filter would do exactly the same thing as a trd one they all filter air. if it were a pod filter it might be different
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: TRD Air Filter Mon, 18 July 2005 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RedLiner wrote on Mon, 18 July 2005 12:02

They are slowly phasing out TRD parts as they are proving to be unprofitable.

They also have a lot of pissed of customers that can't get parts because they can't be bothered looking it up without the stupid vin
RedLiner
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: TRD Air Filter Mon, 18 July 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im also very fussy...only want toyota parts for my car.

I have since seeked professional advice, just waiting for a reply.

Bloody thing, 1 air filter so much maintenance.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: TRD Air Filter Mon, 18 July 2005 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah but you dont have to replace it every 20k or so like oem ones
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: TRD Air Filter Mon, 18 July 2005 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Castle Hill Toyota also carry a decent range of TRD parts, it's where I've been getting my bits and pieces from. If they don't have it they will get it for you too.
RedLiner
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: TRD Air Filter Tue, 02 August 2005 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I finally tried installing the thing...i thought it was meant to fit...

I cant close the air filter box....am i doing anything wrong or has anyone else had the same problem?

It just seems that the rubber edges are abit to thick and i cant hook up the latches to close the box properly.
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: TRD Air Filter Tue, 02 August 2005 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
push the filter up in to the top of the box, then press it down, then clip it together, it WILL BE tougher to fit, maybeabout twice as hard to clip on becuase the rubber dges are softer and need a bit of force, so it seals good. it may feel like its going to break, but just press down harder.

the TRD is just like a K&N, its oiled cotton gauze.

a thing with oiled cotton filters, is DO NOT CLEAN THEM OFTEN. i cant stress this enough, i fyou clean them often (water and dry it off) it will destroy the cotton VERY FAST. just open her up every time you change the oil, and tap off exvess dirt and debris. if it looks dry, use some K&N oil on the CLEAN side -- only a bit to re oil it. DO NOT WASH IT.

oiled cotton gause actaully filters better when its a tad dirty (because its already trapped some dirt and made the opening holes smaller) but just think of it as a dirty cotton filter flows as good as a clean paper one.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: TRD Air Filter Tue, 02 August 2005 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
terra wrote on Tue, 02 August 2005 23:27

oiled cotton gause actaully filters better when its a tad dirty (because its already trapped some dirt and made the opening holes smaller) but just think of it as a dirty cotton filter flows as good as a clean paper one.

so you agree that the cotton filters are no better than a clean paper filter, and don't last long when they are cleaned regularly to give them a slight increase in flow with reduced filtering properties?
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: TRD Air Filter Tue, 02 August 2005 13:50 Go to previous message
oldcorollas wrote on Tue, 02 August 2005 23:11

terra wrote on Tue, 02 August 2005 23:27

so you agree that the cotton filters are no better than a clean paper filter, and don't last long when they are cleaned regularly to give them a slight increase in flow with reduced filtering properties?

exactly.

dry cotton (i mean good ones, not crap $20 ones) filter like paper, get dirty and clog quick, but they filter good.

in general foam filters the BEST but HKS seem to be the strange factor.. hks green foam filters usualy filter like crap compared to everyone elses foam, but they flow good.

ya gotta remember for non bossted cars, even the stock paper filter flows enough for even light tuning, iusually the restrictive resonator/snorkels from factory that rob the flow.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:water housing behind a small port 4ag
Next Topic:AE92 - 3SGTE or 4AGZE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 14:08:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0076799392700195 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.