Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
c-red
Regular

July 2004
Drifting My 86 Mon, 15 November 2004 07:22 Go to next message
Well after not much time in Archie the Hachi I entered a drift comp in heem. Initial impressions were good, large amounts of grip, easy to provoke into drift, and totally rooted steering - manual 3.5 tltl rack. Got to grips with it real quick and was sliding it in third.
By the end of the day I'd concluded I needed another 100rwhp and power steering...
Some pics of heem are here:
http://www.driveline.net.au/gallery/2004//13/IMG_3 859.jpg
http://www.driveline.net.au/gallery/2004//13/IMG_3 898.jpg
http://www.driveline.net.au/gallery/2004//13/IMG_3 920.jpg
http://www.driveline.net.au/gallery/2004//13/IMG_3 943.jpg
Jash
  Send a private message to this user    
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Drifting My 86 Mon, 15 November 2004 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looking good mate Cool

you want a 350rwhp sprinter drift car?

Don't most people have around 200hp at the fly?
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Drifting My 86 Mon, 15 November 2004 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Love those Watanabe's on the back Very Happy
c-red
Regular

July 2004
Re: Drifting My 86 Mon, 15 November 2004 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On the day it only had about 200rwhp as I was only running 10psi. 300rw will make it nice and quick sideways and I'll be able to drift 4th. I was having to go into corners real hot with 200rw and I'd much prefer to go in a little slower and punch it through.
And yeah most 86s only have about 200 flywheel. I've got nothing but RESTECP for anyone who drifts an NA 86.
Jash
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Drifting My 86 Mon, 15 November 2004 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
going in faster is better

Wink
c-red
Regular

July 2004
Re: Drifting My 86 Mon, 15 November 2004 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Possibly, I'm still getting used to the car. Its needs a heap more stick, and much, much quicker steering. I was just so busy behind the wheel the way it was. It was odd drifting a live axled car after only ever drifting IRS stuff previously.
Jash
pr1nce
Regular

April 2004
Re: Drifting My 86 Mon, 15 November 2004 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drifting with no power steering is skill!
and also a hard workout
c-red
Regular

July 2004
Re: Drifting My 86 Mon, 15 November 2004 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3 and a half turns lock to lock is not my idea of fun...
Jash
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Drifting My 86 Mon, 15 November 2004 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just put a Quaife in, 2.5 turns lock to lock. STock is about 3.75 actually.
fractoid
Regular

September 2004
Re: Drifting My 86 Mon, 15 November 2004 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*waves* I was actually talking to someone about you this arvo! You know Con (can't spell his last name, has a workshop down off Rowley Rd) and/or his son(s)? Anyway, I was getting a lift back from dropping my car down there and the guy (whose name I should remember, drives an n/a silvia) was telling me about a friend of his with a turbo'd non-liftback red 86 that was at the drift day... I'm guessing was you? Good work! Smile
c-red
Regular

July 2004
Re: Drifting My 86 Mon, 15 November 2004 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai wrote on Mon, 15 November 2004 21:05

Sure as hell felt like every single one of them...
Jash
c-red
Regular

July 2004
Re: Drifting My 86 Mon, 15 November 2004 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fractoid wrote on Mon, 15 November 2004 21:19

*waves* I was actually talking to someone about you this arvo! You know Con (can't spell his last name, has a workshop down off Rowley Rd) and/or his son(s)? Anyway, I was getting a lift back from dropping my car down there and the guy (whose name I should remember, drives an n/a silvia) was telling me about a friend of his with a turbo'd non-liftback red 86 that was at the drift day... I'm guessing was you? Good work! Smile

Yeah I know Con - His son Josh works for me at C-Red. Yeah that was me...
Jash
Necros
Regular

September 2002
Re: Drifting My 86 Wed, 08 December 2004 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like a fun car to drift ;p cept the steering!

Im running RA60 struts and lower control arms, I had the sprinter sprint cups welded onto the RA60 struts so std springs fit fine...

Im using the power steering steering arms and this takes the TTL to about 2.5. Makes such a difference!

The only problem is the RA60 lower arms give positive camber, so you will need MX73 lower arms w/ RA60 P/S Steering arms (they need to be modified with a morse tapered reamer to accept the bolt on the MX73 arms).

This way you can fit some much bigger brakes too, although you've probably done that Smile
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Drifting My 86 Thu, 09 December 2004 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been watching a lot of ae86 aus drifting lately and i've noticed the entry speeds seem so lethargic!!!

make the camera move! i love high speed enteries rather than high speed exits!
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Drifting My 86 Sun, 12 December 2004 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai wrote on Tue, 16 November 2004 00:05

Where can one purchase one of these? Google is no help
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Drifting My 86 Sun, 12 December 2004 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got mine off Glenn over here in Melbourne. There is a place in NZ which sells them too. If you search the FS forums for Quaife youll find some references. Mine actually goes in this week.
pro_k
Regular

September 2003
Re: Drifting My 86 Mon, 13 December 2004 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
86DRFT - You can get them from Palmside NZ Ltd. They are the Aus and NZ distributor for Quaife. Contact sales@Palmside.co.nz or +643 3389151. Price around $350 delivered to you. However, they are cheaper in the UK (shipping might be expensive though).
CRAB-86
Regular

September 2003
Re: Drifting My 86 Wed, 15 December 2004 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ShiRi wrote on Thu, 09 December 2004 18:14

I've been watching a lot of ae86 aus drifting lately and i've noticed the entry speeds seem so lethargic!!!

make the camera move! i love high speed enteries rather than high speed exits!

Watch simmo Smile
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Drifting My 86 Sat, 18 December 2004 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers Very Happy
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: Drifting My 86 Fri, 24 December 2004 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Necros wrote on Wed, 08 December 2004 11:37

Im using the power steering steering arms and this takes the TTL to about 2.5. Makes such a difference!

The power steering arms dont reduce the amount of turns lock to lock, they give u quicker steering, so at full lock u will have more steering, but it will be the same amount of turns
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Drifting My 86 Thu, 06 January 2005 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
which logically means you need less turns to have the same effect as without it? damn im good Razz
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: Drifting My 86 Sat, 08 January 2005 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no your just gay Razz
4ageeza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Drifting My 86 Sat, 08 January 2005 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Eldar0, shouldn't having a greater lock angle means more turns to lock, as the rack's turning limits is determined by the steering arms. Therefore shorter arms = more travel of the steering rack = more turns to lock? Wink

Correct me if i'm wrong.
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: Drifting My 86 Sun, 16 January 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when talking turns lock to lock, we are talking about how many times u spin the steering wheel before it hits the end of teh rack.

and the amount of turns is the same regardless of which arms u use.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Drifting My 86 Sun, 16 January 2005 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
amt of turns lock to lock is dependant on the STEERING RACK
the STEERING ARMS detemine the angle of the wheel at each end of the RACK

THEREFORE

when you are normally turning the car at full lock 3.5 turns your std arms will say be at 60°
with the new arms the wheels may be at 60° when your at only 3 turns so when youre at 3.5 the wheels will be at 75°

understand?
timottaway
Regular

September 2004
Re: Drifting My 86 Sun, 17 July 2005 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Mon, 17 January 2005 02:19

THEREFORE

when you are normally turning the car at full lock 3.5 turns your std arms will say be at 60°
with the new arms the wheels may be at 60° when your at only 3 turns so when youre at 3.5 the wheels will be at 75°

understand?

so first the "steering arms at 60 degrees" before different steering arms at 3.5 turns
then u say the "wheels at 60 degrees" after new steering arms at 3 turns lock.

so wouldn't the steering arms be at a different angle of say the centreline of the front wheels too agree with your first statement because of the ackermans angle of the steering arm itself?

do u guys think the ackermans angle changes dramatically or at all between the 2 steering arms types manual and powersteer

all very interesting steering stuff, i'm eager to learn some more Surprised
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: Drifting My 86 Mon, 18 July 2005 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Look just shuttup alright Razz

we all understand, now lets all go back to our corners
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Drifting My 86 Mon, 18 July 2005 13:39 Go to previous message
timottaway wrote on Sun, 17 July 2005 18:06

ae86drift wrote on Mon, 17 January 2005 02:19

THEREFORE

understand?

so first the "steering arms at 60 degrees" before different steering arms at 3.5 turns
then u say the "wheels at 60 degrees" after new steering arms at 3 turns lock.

so wouldn't the steering arms be at a different angle of say the centreline of the front wheels too agree with your first statement because of the ackermans angle of the steering arm itself?

do u guys think the ackermans angle changes dramatically or at all between the 2 steering arms types manual and powersteer

all very interesting steering stuff, i'm eager to learn some more Surprised

thats what i said? or maybe you are insinuating i said that the rack has less turns after shorter arms are fitted? which i did not. simple same angle AT less turns of the rack.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:what happened at QR.. ?
Next Topic:cams clubs ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 02:57:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006472110748291 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.