Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » tyre pressure for low profile tyres?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

tyre pressure for low profile tyres? Mon, 18 July 2005 15:16 Go to next message
Hey all,
i'm a bit new to the bling bling style of car and have no idea what tyre pressure to run.. apart from higher pressure than normal tyres..

tyres are Potenza RE-01R 215/45/17.. they have a VERY stiff sidewall and are very grippy atm, but i doubt you could tell if there was no air in there at all Confused

so anyway, trying to work out what pressure to run them at (before i get a decent IR pyrometer) for 'normal' driving, ie no track days, not so much highway use. Supplied they were around 40psi front and 38psi rear! is that normal? i was thinking maybe 34-36psi perhaps.. front/rear weight split is around 850/610kg i believe...

tried emailing bridgestone Aus, no reply as yet. local people are a bit hard to communicate with, but maybe i'll have to con someone to write an email for me Wink

i do have a decent digital tyre gauge, but it's a bit useless with no figures to aim for.. tried the "hand pyrometer" but with little success so far.

any suggestions?
TIA, Stewart
  Send a private message to this user    
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: tyre pressure for low profile tyres? Mon, 18 July 2005 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depending on how hard you want the ride to be, but your figure of 34/36 would be a pretty good start.

Have fun in Japan

Cheers

Michael B

P.S. Pm on way !!
Jezza
Regular

June 2002
Re: tyre pressure for low profile tyres? Mon, 18 July 2005 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have 205/40R16's (even more rubber band like than yours) on my starlet (weighs sfa) and im running 38psi all round.....

the only thing more pressure will do is make a harsher ride, and possibly wear the centre of the tyre out first. although im told you need some pretty extreme pressures to hit this problem
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: tyre pressure for low profile tyres? Mon, 18 July 2005 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I find that if I don't pump mine up above 40psi the outsides of my tyres wear extremely quickly... I regularly drive around at 43PSI.

Mine are 215/40/17's
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: tyre pressure for low profile tyres? Tue, 19 July 2005 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks Fellas

farrrk, so they need pressure that high? and i'm guessing harder is better than softer in terms of tyre damage and wear?

yar the ride is fairly harsh so far.. i'm more worried about tyre damage and wearing than grip, as it is enough for what i need.

i'll keep them around 40psi and maybe get a pyrometer to check temps after driving... are the IR ones accurate enough? or a contact one will be needed? tyres feel pretty damn hot after a drive.. much hotter than my shitty old tyres..

thanks for the advice!
Cya, Stewart
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: tyre pressure for low profile tyres? Tue, 19 July 2005 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the question is what car did you end up getting Very Happy
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: tyre pressure for low profile tyres? Tue, 19 July 2005 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have 205/40/17's and i run them at 40, i have the same issue as toobs, if they are any lower than that they wear the edges of the tire

rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: tyre pressure for low profile tyres? Tue, 19 July 2005 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stew what did u buy? where can we see pics?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: tyre pressure for low profile tyres? Tue, 19 July 2005 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just some old crap car Razz

Laughing
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: tyre pressure for low profile tyres? Tue, 19 July 2005 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yet it runs 17's hehe and they aren't that wide hmmm, tell us now please and it weighs simlar total weight to a caldina hehe
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: tyre pressure for low profile tyres? Tue, 19 July 2005 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mm, maybe i'll do a members ride when i back from the US...
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: tyre pressure for low profile tyres? Tue, 19 July 2005 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that would be a swell idea Very Happy
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: tyre pressure for low profile tyres? Tue, 19 July 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.materials.unsw.edu.au/~sford/front-brakes.jpg
how's this? can't see much of the car but..
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: tyre pressure for low profile tyres? Tue, 19 July 2005 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Stew, I run 40psi on both the Celica (215/40R17 & 235/45R17) and the Liberty (215/45R18).

I used to run the Celica on 45psi when I was in Sydney, but when I moved down to Canberra and did a lot of highway driving, I found that the tyres wore in the middle, so dropped it down to 40psi.
No weird wear patterns ever since.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: tyre pressure for low profile tyres? Tue, 19 July 2005 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh cool, so 40psi sounds like a good place to keep it while these tyres wear out Wink

i'm still surprised at how bloody solid these sidewalls are....
i have a feeling they would suck around sydney roads... maybe the 15's will go back on then (when the snow tyres come off)
Jezza
Regular

June 2002
Re: tyre pressure for low profile tyres? Tue, 19 July 2005 22:22 Go to previous message
i find my front tyres wearing on the outsides......im not sure thats due to underinflation though Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:veilside AE101R seca kit?
Next Topic:Harrop Calipers
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 2 04:30:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050640106201172 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.