Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
birdie
Regular

November 2004
AE102 (7AFE) Performance upgrade Thu, 14 July 2005 01:46 Go to next message
I have an AE102 Corolla Seca Conquest, it has a 7AFE. Now I would like to get my car going quicker (a fair bit quicker Razz)

My option as I see it are:

- Turbo my 7AFE, I'm sure I'd need to strengthen some the internals (not sure what) to get any decent amount of power out of it.

- Supercharge using either SC12 or SC14, again I'd need to strengthen the internals.

- Buy a 4AGE and build a 4AGTE and then do a transplant. I'd guess I'd need to get an AE101 4AGE (for emissions regulations)? How expensive would this option be?

- A slightly harder option, and I'm not sure how hard it is, is a 3SGTE conversion. Again I'd need to get motor from around the 97 period I'd guess for emission regualtions (correct?).

Now I'm not sure which is the best or the cheapest option here. Now if it was possible/cheap enough I'd like to keep the 7AFE and just strengthen it and then turbo it, as it would mean I wouldn't have to worry about doing any engine transplants.

Whats your opinions/suggetions?
  Send a private message to this user    
birdie
Regular

November 2004
Re: AE102 (7AFE) Performance upgrade Thu, 14 July 2005 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.fensport.co.uk/fensportcarsmain.htm
http://www.fensport.co.uk/partsfiles/ae102conversi on.htm
http://www.bajanboost.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=22 619&start=0&sid=86f25ac3206121ead59b96058b e4cc72
birdie
Regular

November 2004
Re: AE102 (7AFE) Performance upgrade Fri, 15 July 2005 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump
birdie
Regular

November 2004
Re: AE102 (7AFE) Performance upgrade Mon, 18 July 2005 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump, where are all the knowledgable people?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE102 (7AFE) Performance upgrade Mon, 18 July 2005 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4A-GZE transplant, then turbocharge if you want. This has been done a thousand times and is the most cost-effective option. Don't bother tinkering with the 7A.
birdie
Regular

November 2004
Re: AE102 (7AFE) Performance upgrade Tue, 19 July 2005 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about a AE111 20V 4AGE, I think its a blacktop. Are they any good to turbo?
PyRoMaNiAc
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: AE102 (7AFE) Performance upgrade Tue, 19 July 2005 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they are the worst 4a to turbo as they have the weakest internals!
birdie
Regular

November 2004
Re: AE102 (7AFE) Performance upgrade Tue, 19 July 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does that apply to both the silvertop and the blacktop 20v's?
How tuneable are the 20Vs? ie is it hard to get more power out of them? How hard is it to strengthen them to allow for a turbo?

Where can I get a suitable 4AGZE? I guess I'd have to get an AE101? Can I get just a motor or would I need to get a Half-Cut?
birdie
Regular

November 2004
Re: AE102 (7AFE) Performance upgrade Tue, 19 July 2005 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does that apply to both the silvertop and the blacktop 20v's?
How tuneable are the 20Vs? ie is it hard to get more power out of them? How hard is it to strengthen them to allow for a turbo?

Where can I get a suitable 4AGZE? I guess I'd have to get an AE101? Can I get just a motor or would I need to get a Half-Cut?
PyRoMaNiAc
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: AE102 (7AFE) Performance upgrade Tue, 19 July 2005 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just the blacktops have weaker internals. The silver tops have similar interals to a GZE + 16v.

imho Rebuild the 7afe with a 16v head stronger internals + a smallish turbo.
this motor would have nice torque down low and turbo for the run to the redline. would be a nice streetable motor.
7AGTE all the way!
trevtrev
Regular

October 2004
Re: AE102 (7AFE) Performance upgrade Tue, 19 July 2005 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You should be able to pick up an AE101 4AGZE (with supercharger) front cut from Asian Auto Spares (Springwood Qld) or somewhere similar for around $2500 (They currently show AE92's at $1,900 but that looks too low! If you go to their website it looks like it may not have been updated. Ring them up, they are good guys) You can sell your 7AFE (I don't know what they are worth) to help fund this Wink Then later down the track when you get hungry for more you can go FMIC and Turbo on it as has been done heaps of times and detailed in these forums. Crossley Street and Race (Coorparoo) or PerFOURmance (Slacks Creek) would easily do the conversion and / or the Turbo and both places have done these numerous times. Anthony Kellam did my wiring of Silvertop, did a great job and really knows what he is doing. After I had a mechanic do the mechanicals, Anthony charged about $400 for the wiring into my AE92.

Birdie, you don't say where you are so I am giving you the Brisbane Rundown. (Sorry didn't realise it was Bundaberg!)

If you start with a Silvertop 20V you will need to change the pistons when adding a turbo. If you start with the 4AGZE you are already set up for Forced Induction.

EDITED REPLY :S

[Updated on: Tue, 19 July 2005 03:57]

birdie
Regular

November 2004
Re: AE102 (7AFE) Performance upgrade Tue, 19 July 2005 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah Ok, so If I want a Turbo 20V the motor to get is the Silvertop?

A 20V Turbo would be better than a 4AGZE converted to Turbo wouldn't it?

PyRoMaNiAc: So what 16V head would you recommend? Stronger Internals, What needs to be upgraded? Crank, Conrods, Pistons? Where do I get suitable replacements? I'd probably get a T25 Turbo?

trevtrev: http://www.asianautospares.com.au/ only have an AE92 4AGZE atm, though they do have an AE101 Silvertop 4AGE 20V. How much would I get for a 7AFE that has done 200k but has been serviced every 10K still running sweet, no problems at all, I'm just after more power Razz Would the TMIC on the 4AGZE fit under the AE102 Bonnet or would I need to get a bonnet scoop of AE101/2 4AGZE? How much does it cost to get a 4AGZE -> 4AGTE conversion done? How hard is it to do the wiring? I'm handy with a multimeter, and I have a pretty good knowledge of electronics (I play with microchips in my spare time Razz) Could I do it myself?

I'm not from Brisbane, Coalstoun Lakes which is about 125km west of Bundaberg. So I'm about 3.5hrs from Brisbane. Brisbane is probably the best place to get all the motors/half-cuts from.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE102 (7AFE) Performance upgrade Tue, 19 July 2005 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
20v = high compression, with engine management not designed for forced induction. Turbocharging a 20v is not cheap or easy. A 4A-GZE on the other hand is built for forced induction from the word go, so just remove the SC and strap on a turbo and away you go. If you're thinking the extra valve in a 20v is going to make any difference, think again.
trevtrev
Regular

October 2004
Re: AE102 (7AFE) Performance upgrade Tue, 19 July 2005 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Norbie. I just edited my reply above to take out the error mention of Silvertop.

Birdie, listen to Norbie. He knows what he is saying.
birdie
Regular

November 2004
Re: AE102 (7AFE) Performance upgrade Tue, 19 July 2005 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So my best two options as I see them are:

- Strengthen my 7AFE and convert it to a 7AGTE.
For this option, what needs strengthening in my motor?

- Get a AE101 4AGZE (Half-cut I guess?)
For this option, Can I use just motor and ECU or do I need to get a Half-cut?
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: AE102 (7AFE) Performance upgrade Tue, 19 July 2005 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or 7ag or 7agte!you forgot the 3sgte or 3sge.all comes down to what you want to spend.
mick
birdie
Regular

November 2004
Re: AE102 (7AFE) Performance upgrade Tue, 19 July 2005 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I already said 7AGTE

I'm not sure about the 3SGTE, AFAIK its not a bolt in install, and there is a fair bit of work involved in the transfer.
birdie
Regular

November 2004
Re: AE102 (7AFE) Performance upgrade Wed, 20 July 2005 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump
birdie
Regular

November 2004
Re: AE102 (7AFE) Performance upgrade Thu, 21 July 2005 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump... Where did everyone go?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE102 (7AFE) Performance upgrade Thu, 21 July 2005 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What are you bumping for? You have your options and now the decision is yours.
birdie
Regular

November 2004
Re: AE102 (7AFE) Performance upgrade Thu, 21 July 2005 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Because I have asked questions that haven't been answered.

- Strengthen my 7AFE and convert it to a 7AGTE.
For this option, what needs strengthening in my motor?
what 16V head would you recommend? Stronger Internals, What needs to be upgraded? Crank, Conrods, Pistons? Where do I get suitable replacements? I'd probably get a T25 Turbo?

- Get a AE101 4AGZE (Half-cut I guess?)
For this option, Can I use just motor and ECU or do I need to get a Half-cut? Would the TMIC on the 4AGZE fit under the AE102 Bonnet or would I need to get a bonnet scoop of AE101/2 4AGZE? How much does it cost to get a 4AGZE -> 4AGTE conversion done? How hard is it to do the wiring? I'm handy with a multimeter, and I have a pretty good knowledge of electronics (I play with microchips in my spare time Razz) Could I do it myself?

How much would I get for a 7AFE that has done 200k but has been serviced every 10K still running sweet, no problems at all?
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AE102 (7AFE) Performance upgrade Thu, 21 July 2005 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Birdie, unfortunately you wont be able to do everything on the internet, for whatever you plan on doing you'll have to go out, get a bit dirty and measure up/work some things out for yourself.

What follows is my personal opinion from things I have read/heard around the place:

Strengthening a 7A means custom rods if you want to rev beyond 7500 reliably. For turbo go custom (or 4AGZE if they fit) pistons to lower the compression, or run low boost. Get an aftermarket ECU or piggyback unit so you can tune it on boost. Then go custom intake/exhaust/lots of other stuff. Where to get all this stuff? Try a phone book or car mag ads, or even a Toyota dealer.

GE head can go on a 7A block. This has been covered a lot before so have a search.

As for a ZE, you could use motor and computer only. The engine would then run. Halfcut may have some useful bits in it though. Wiring isn't hard if you give it some time and know how to use a soldering iron and multimeter which it sounds like you do.

Hen
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: AE102 (7AFE) Performance upgrade Thu, 21 July 2005 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just as a note there was a AE112 Corolla Sportivo @ the last Toymods Dyno Day with the 7A-FTE it put out 83.7FWKW, I suppose I would have expected a little more from a Turbo engine, but it would certainly be a big improvement in terms of torque & power over stock. I think the 4A would respond better to mods & Turbo's.
birdie
Regular

November 2004
Re: AE102 (7AFE) Performance upgrade Thu, 21 July 2005 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alchemist wrote on Thu, 21 July 2005 22:23

Just as a note there was a AE112 Corolla Sportivo @ the last Toymods Dyno Day with the 7A-FTE it put out 83.7FWKW, I suppose I would have expected a little more from a Turbo engine, but it would certainly be a big improvement in terms of torque & power over stock. I think the 4A would respond better to mods & Turbo's.

Was that with stock internals? Or had it been strengthened?
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: AE102 (7AFE) Performance upgrade Thu, 21 July 2005 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To my knowledge Toyota merely whacked a small Turbo on the side of a standard 7AFE and ran it a pretty low boost 6-8 PSI I think. Someone may be able to confirm though.
birdie
Regular

November 2004
Re: AE102 (7AFE) Performance upgrade Thu, 21 July 2005 13:57 Go to previous message
Alchemist wrote on Thu, 21 July 2005 23:22

To my knowledge Toyota merely whacked a small Turbo on the side of a standard 7AFE and ran it a pretty low boost 6-8 PSI I think. Someone may be able to confirm though.

Ah, your talking about the toyota stock turbo. Yeah I think it was only 110KW at the Flywheel anyway, rather disapointing when the stock 7AFE is 85KW
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RA28 Diff
Next Topic:Has anyone used Coil over kits from King Springs!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 15:35:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0079629421234131 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.