Regular

April 2005
Harrop Calipers Mon, 18 July 2005 11:00 Go to next message
Are these calipers any good?
  Send a private message to this user    
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Harrop Calipers Mon, 18 July 2005 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes and so ar AP calipers as well as brembos etc
gr8r-x
Regular

September 2004
Re: Harrop Calipers Mon, 18 July 2005 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pretty much anything with 4 pistons + is good. Very Happy

Now, if you manage to squeeze some 6 pistons on, then that's just great.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Harrop Calipers Mon, 18 July 2005 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gr8r-x wrote on Mon, 18 July 2005 21:35

Thank you for your sweeping generalization. Volvo & Hilux calipers are heavy. Wilwoods flex to the shithouse.

Aussie 260Z, if your budget extends to Harrops, good luck to you. Smile As RA45 said, APRacing and Brembo also very good. Might be a little cheaper....

mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: Harrop Calipers Mon, 18 July 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
harrops are THE SHIT..

if you can afford it, then go for it Smile

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/AndyMac/antilag_has_brakes.jpg
aussie260z
Regular

April 2005
Re: Harrop Calipers Mon, 18 July 2005 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Harrops are more expensive than AP Racing calipers!!!
bugger............are they better?

I heard the food chaing went something like this, left to right,

PBR, Sumitono, Wilwood, Brembo, Alcon, Stoptech, AP Racing,

Wilwoods are cheap though Smile
like under $950AUD for 4,
http://www.wilwood.com/Products/001-Calipers/012-F SL/index.asp
(Fronts)
http://www.wilwood.com/Products/001-Calipers/019-F DL/index.asp (REARS),
But they dont have dust seals,

Can get a new set of these,
http://www.apracing.com/roadcar/caliper/data.asp?f amily=CP5200
for $1500AUD

Hilux 4-Spots part # S12-W (the ones that suit vented 20mm rotors, not the s12-8 non vented style rotor calipers) weigh 11.2lbs and have 4 43mm pistons, lot of stopping power, but weigh about 3 times as much as the above AP & Wilwood Calipers,
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Harrop Calipers Mon, 18 July 2005 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Give Harrop a call but I understood the billet calipers are something like 2000 a corner (or was that a pair?).

That sounds about right for the APRacing CP5200. Good caliper, nice and stiff, plenty of different pad compounds out there for them.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/Toyota%20Power%20/brakes1.jpg

With regard to the Wilwoods, you get what you pay for. Wink
gr8r-x
Regular

September 2004
Re: Harrop Calipers Mon, 18 July 2005 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Mon, 18 July 2005 22:42

gr8r-x wrote on Mon, 18 July 2005 21:35

Thank you for your sweeping generalization. Volvo & Hilux calipers are heavy. Wilwoods flex to the shithouse.

Aussie 260Z, if your budget extends to Harrops, good luck to you. Smile As RA45 said, APRacing and Brembo also very good. Might be a little cheaper....

Geez, SOOORRRYY. He asked if they were GOOD. I said that anything with 4+ pistons are GOOD. Christ, anything that stops your car is GOOD!

It all really depends on your requirements, assumedly you are trying to stop a 260.. Race conditions as well I'll assume. Do you really NEED the power/weight of the Harrop's or do you just want the best/expensive? Smile

APRacing are good for the $'s. Never seen the Wilwoods in action, so can't comment.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Harrop Calipers Mon, 18 July 2005 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How do cars like the current M3 with a single piston sliding caliper fit into your rationale? Surely you can't honestly say it has bad brakes?

[Updated on: Mon, 18 July 2005 23:56]

mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: Harrop Calipers Tue, 19 July 2005 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Mon, 18 July 2005 21:57

Give Harrop a call but I understood the billet calipers are something like 2000 a corner (or was that a pair?).

That sounds about right for the APRacing CP5200. Good caliper, nice and stiff, plenty of different pad compounds out there for them.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/Toyota%20Power%20/brakes1.jpg

With regard to the Wilwoods, you get what you pay for. Wink

shit 2k...i was under the impression it was alot more per corner Surprised
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Harrop Calipers Tue, 19 July 2005 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just looked up my little book of prices and quotes.

I rang about 4 years ago when looking for a conversion (their factory was 500 metres from my house - now it's about 2 km) - they wanted about 10K for a full disc brake conversion using their 4 spot calipers and some 340ish mm rotors. Price included hats and caliper brackets, but no fitting, lines or engineering. Needless to say, it was well out of my budget. I never actually got a separate price for the calipers but you can sort of extrapolate that with 4 years' inflation and knowing the price of a 340mm rotor..... Shocked

Might it be possible to price the calipers through Holden/HSV (big brake package used to be something like 5K...)?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Harrop Calipers Tue, 19 July 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the top spec hsv brakes are AP racing anyway, they just stopped using harrop in the lower spec cars and now only source brakes from AP racing and PBR.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Harrop Calipers Tue, 19 July 2005 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Really? When did they change?

Anyway, check them out. Be sure to have a box of tissues handy....
http://www.harrop.com.au

Well there you go...complete kit for a Holden to fit under 17" rims is about 5700, includes fronts and rears.

[Updated on: Tue, 19 July 2005 04:35]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Harrop Calipers Tue, 19 July 2005 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it was written in the new Motor magazine featuring the Clubsport DTS spec with the nice big brake package and semi slicks. They mentioned HSV's recent dropping of harrop as there supplier. * Note the HSV dealer team clubby laps oran park 4.6 secs quicker than a stock one mainly thanks to the brakes and tyres and a little suspension tweaking.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Harrop Calipers Tue, 19 July 2005 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get brembo,alcon or AP and even wilwood over the harrops.harrops are way to much money for what they are. harrop charge way way to much for most things they make,cause its made here and harrop is a rip off. the only thing that they do a good price on that i have found is custom studs i.e head and mains. i dont know of any of the race teams using harrop calipers anymore,most are using brembo 12 spoters.
mick
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Harrop Calipers Tue, 19 July 2005 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't wanna sound like a dick but i know one team that uses harrop brakes for sure in the V8's hehe his own team cos he bought team Dodo i think. Very Happy
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Harrop Calipers Tue, 19 July 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh and if your really loaded not too much more than the harrops porsche sells Ceramic brakes as an $18000 option on its cars. Mind you they are pretty damn impressive. Oh and as for the comments about the M3 single calipers yes they are actually criticised by car mags, they are great but still not as good as the competitors. Even the CSL which runs bigger brakes again but i think twin piston fronts gets owned on the track by porsche under brakes, but makes up for it in mid corner grip hehe.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Harrop Calipers Tue, 19 July 2005 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142, thats because he is a DODO!lmfao and no you didnt sound like a dick at all! he has to use what he makes.
stay tuned on the ceramic disc there's a company in sydney perfecting it aswell! if porsche sell them for $18k you should be able to get them for $4k from anywere else but a car manifacturer!
mick
aussie260z
Regular

April 2005
Re: Harrop Calipers Tue, 19 July 2005 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive been told by lots of folks that AP Racing make the best calipers in the world, except some broke in WA who flogs StopTech calipers, who said they were the best 4-Spot Calipers in the world (wasnt quite convinced though),

I hadnt even heard of Harrop Calipers untill yesterday Smile
mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: Harrop Calipers Tue, 19 July 2005 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought most of the v8 super cars use harrop or alcon brakes these days..

and gianttomato, what you said about the 10k quote...that pic i posted is from a wrx going round these parts....6 pot harrops at -each- corner with 340mm rotors all round...almost 20k there Shocked
aussie260z
Regular

April 2005
Re: Harrop Calipers Tue, 19 July 2005 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What kind of stopping requires 20K, f#ck me!!! thats insane,
rollin_stock
Regular

February 2005
Re: Harrop Calipers Tue, 19 July 2005 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
race cars arent cheap Laughing
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Harrop Calipers Tue, 19 July 2005 21:38 Go to previous message
lol setup for a v8 supercar is around the 12k mark, the 20k part would be the extra pads,as the brembo 12 spoters use 4 pads and are around $1000 a set. the soft pads dont last long at all,but fluck me they stop well from 300km/h.even with a lightcar{1125kg}and brembo 12spots,you can loose brakes through heat.
mick
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:tyre pressure for low profile tyres?
Next Topic:lowering springs
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 22:20:11 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059139728546143 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.