Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon5.gif  Big-arse rally-style mudflaps Fri, 15 July 2005 01:56 Go to next message
Hey all,
I'll be spending a weekend away in the Hunter Valley and didn't want to drive the Liberty like a pussy on the dirt roads (for fear of throwing rocks up and chipping the paint).
I tend to go camping a couple of times a year anyway, so I've been thinking about getting these for a while.

Anyone know a place that can custom-make the rally-style mudflaps for me? I'm assuming a 4WD store would probably be a good place to start?

I want to be driving scandinavian stylez in the dirt! Nod
  Send a private message to this user    
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Big-arse rally-style mudflaps Fri, 15 July 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do it! i am a fan Very Happy
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Big-arse rally-style mudflaps Fri, 15 July 2005 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try a 4wd shop or camping shop that sells caravans.

my dad bought some massive ones to protect the front of our caravan from the rockes kicked up by the car.

Make sure you get thick rubber ones as the thinner ones tend to "sail" and don't do their job at all.

mookie
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Big-arse rally-style mudflaps Fri, 15 July 2005 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can get the material at places like Revolution, you'll have to cut it up and mount them yourself.

Make sure you chain the back of them, otherwise, the first time you reverse on uneven ground, you'll tear them off.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Big-arse rally-style mudflaps Fri, 15 July 2005 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben Wilson wrote on Fri, 15 July 2005 12:37

You can get the material at places like Revolution, you'll have to cut it up and mount them yourself.

I was hoping to avoid this 'coz I'm a lazy arse. Very Happy

Ben Wilson wrote on Fri, 15 July 2005 12:37

Make sure you chain the back of them, otherwise, the first time you reverse on uneven ground, you'll tear them off.

That's a bloody good point! I'd often wondered about the chains.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Big-arse rally-style mudflaps Fri, 15 July 2005 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try a place that sells conveyor belting rubber. Much cheaper than the red shit and looks better as well (IMO). I think there is a place in toongabbie/girraween area that sells it or try blackwoods, they sell everything even if they dont have it.
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Big-arse rally-style mudflaps Fri, 15 July 2005 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think my mate has a bunch of the stuff lying around that was used to make them for the rally car, and also for a Mitsu L300 van (service vehicle - don't ask!!).

Probably wouldn't see him till the end of July though, so that might not give you enough time to make anything (esp. since you're a lazy arse Razz )

Be prepared to fork out a fair bit of $$$ to get something either
a) made custom (that will be of decent quality), or
b) off the shelf

Would be a shame to see that lovely paint all chipped though, so would probably be worth it..

btw - I call Shotgun!! Very Happy
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Big-arse rally-style mudflaps Sun, 17 July 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your not too worried with the looks how about trying at a truck wreckers. Its how some of the cowboy ute drivers get to have big Mack flaps on the utes Wink
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: Big-arse rally-style mudflaps Sun, 17 July 2005 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4WD shops. I think there's a heap of cheaper red/blue/yellow ones at Paddy's in the city. I'm looking for a set of black ones myself though I can handle red. Let us know where you did get it. $100 for a set of genuine front mudflaps isn't my idea of fun.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Big-arse rally-style mudflaps Tue, 19 July 2005 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Revolution Race Gear: $83/sheet (looked like about a metre long and came in some ricey colours)
Clark Rubber: $25/m (black only, which is what I want anyway)

The ones from Revolution seemed slightly firmer, but I wasn't really paying that much attention to it until I got to Clark Rubber... hehe
Stupid me.

So for $25 + some screws + some elbow grease, I could have some paint protection.
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: Big-arse rally-style mudflaps Tue, 19 July 2005 09:13 Go to previous message
I've got some ordered already.. $100 for a full set of yellow ones. Smile

One thing though that you've got to watch out for is the flappy bit doesn't get caught with the tyres when you reverse or else you'll rip off the plastic guards.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Buying A Trueno, Need Some Info!?
Next Topic:Agreed value... Insurance.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 17:31:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061650276184082 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.